ADVERTISEMENT

Turk's "Game Analysis and Individual Player Grades

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Mr All Turk: Mitchell
All Turk Awards: Mitchell for hitting his only FG.

Head Coach: Grade F
Wow. Problems galore. Very very embarassing loss. Teams finally figured out if they stop Jackson, game over. We have to find a way to counter this otherwise how do we win another game? Should have addressed coaching problems in the offseason but it is what it is. Loyalty isn't always a virtue.

Offensive Coordinator: McCall Me Never: Grade Z. Just an ongoing horrible non creative; non deceptive, pitiful offense for the 3rd year in a row, but it's getting worse.
No deceptions, no nothing. Very predictable.
1. Where is Vitale?
2. We need Vault to have more than a few offensive touches a game
3. We need #9 on the field a helluva lot more. He is a stud.
4. What the hell happened to Long??? We have a group of B leaguers that you put out there, as your best players are on the sidelines. Why does Long only play like 5-10 plays? WTH are you thinking?

Do you have any RB screens? Pay attention to what Iowa did when we brought heat. Iowa had outlet receivers, and several RB screens that killed us. You just set Thorson up to get pounded with no idea what to do about what to do. You should take a few snaps and see how it feels. McCall....Colby...what's the difference?

Defensive Coordinator: Hankwitz: Grade C [edit D-. That was his team that quit and he should have at least had words with them.]
Not sure what he can do. No doubt the D quit and submitted in the 3rd quarter. When he went aggressive, Iowa delivered timely screens.

DL: Grade F
#7 had a horrible horrible game. Like he didn't see where the ball was. Very poor against the run, blew containment all day long. Just a bit too slow getting to the QB, again. Kuhar Lowry, Robbins, just got blown off the ball. Lancaster was tolerable. Hate to say but Thompson got skinned and eaten alive. Washington was pushed back into Idaho. Gibson wasn't bad. Yes, we were overmatched but it just feels odd saying that after seeing this unit do rather well prior.

LB: Grade D-
Walker: Grade F
He was maybe the worst player on the Defense today with clear and serious issues. He had a possible pick 6 on the 6th or so play of the game but dropped the ball. Smith played poorly. Prater played fairly good.

DB: Grade C-
Watkins had some tackles but really had tons of blown assignments. Big difference on run support and screen defending between him and Harris. Unlike harris, he doesn't have the quickness on those quick wide receiver screens to get through blockers. The result is that blockers lock on him and he can't shread them and then a lot of big gainers happen.
Henry, just ok. poor reads, easily worst game of the year, except for the INT. Seems like he pulled up with a hammy issue, hope he is ok. Godwin, ok play but nothing wow. I expect more.

Special teams: Grade B-
FG unit solid; punt team decent; punt return team ok; kickoff team ok; kickoff return team: better

QB: Grade D
His O Coordinator doesn't give him much help, but the kid still has to make a play. Other freshmen and redshirt freshman QB have made plays this year and pas t years.....so should he. He needs to make plays. That has to be what he does. No excuse. His ball handling skills need serious work as well. Not sure if he is looking downfield but he is fumbling the ball without anyone around him. And he is afraid to get hit. Stopped inside the 5 and gave a defender his shoulder instead of running hard. Disappointing.

OL: Grade F. Nuf said. Not sure if there is any redeeming thing I can say. Horrible play.

WR: Grade F this is easily the worst unit by far. Collectively, they simply can not catch the ball. This unit is even worse than our OL. At least Fitz finally benched Jones after his third drop and drive killer.

RB: Grade F Jackson can't keep fumbling like this. Fumbling the pill was on him. It had big play potential and I think he had his eyes upfield. Interestingly enough, I believe it was our first two back set with him and Long and it looked good until the pill was dropped.

Last edited:

Wow. Problems galore. Very very embarassing loss. Teams finally figured out if they stop Jackson, game over. We have to find a way to counter this otherwise how do we win another game? Should have addressed coaching problems in the offseason but it is what it is. Loyalty isn't always a virtue.

Offensive Coordinator: McCall Me Never: Grade Z. Just an ongoing horrible non creative; non deceptive, pitiful offense for the 3rd year in a row, but it's getting worse.
1. Where is Vitale?
4. What the hell happened to Long??? We have a group of B leaguers that you put out there, as your best players are on the sidelines. Why does Long only play like 5-10 plays? WTH are you thinking?

Do you have any RB screens? Pay attention to what Iowa did when we brought heat. Iowa had outlet receivers, and several RB screens that killed us. You just set Thorson up to get pounded with no idea what to do about what to do. You should take a few snaps and see how it feels. McCall....Colby...what's the difference?

Defensive Coordinator: Hankwitz: Grade C
Not sure what he can do. No doubt the D quit and submitted in the 3rd quarter. When he went aggressive, Iowa delivered timely screens.

#7 had a horrible horrible game. Like he didn't see where the ball was. Very poor against the run, blew containment all day long. Just a bit too slow getting to the QB, again. Kuhar Lowry, Robbins, just got blown off the ball. Lancaster was tolerable. Hate to say but Thompson got skinned and eaten alive. Washington was pushed back into Idaho. Gibson wasn't bad. Yes, we were overmatched but it just feels odd saying that after seeing this unit do rather well prior.

He was maybe the worst player on the Defense today with clear and serious issues. He had a possible pick 6 on the 6th or so play of the game but dropped the ball. Smith played poorly. Prater played fairly good.

Watkins had some tackles but really had tons of blown assignments. Big difference on run support and screen defending between him and Harris. Unlike harris, he doesn't have the quickness on those quick wide receiver screens to get through blockers. The result is that blockers lock on him and he can't shread them and then a lot of big gainers happen.
Henry, just ok. poor reads, easily worst game of the year, except for the INT. Seems like he pulled up with a hammy issue, hope he is ok. Godwin, ok play but nothing wow. I expect more.

FG unit solid; punt team decent; punt return team ok; kickoff team ok; kickoff return team: better

His O Coordinator doesn't give him much help, but the kid still has to make a play. Other freshmen and redshirt freshman QB have made plays this year and pas t years.....so should he. He needs to make plays. That has to be what he does. No excuse. His ball handling skills need serious work as well. Not sure if he is looking downfield but he is fumbling the ball without anyone around him. And he is afraid to get hit. Stopped inside the 5 and gave a defender his shoulder instead of running hard. Disappointing.

OL: Grade F. Nuf said. Not sure if there is any redeeming thing I can say. Horrible play.

WR: Grade F this is easily the worst unit by far. Collectively, they simply can not catch the ball. This unit is even worse than our OL. At least Fitz finally benched Jones after his third drop and drive killer.

RB: Grade F Jackson can't keep fumbling like this. Fumbling the pill was on him. It had big play potential and I think he had his eyes upfield. Interestingly enough, I believe it was our first two back set with him and Long and it looked good until the pill was dropped.

The defensive performance was atrocious. Why would Hank deserve a C?

1. Where is Vitale?

Defensive Coordinator: Hankwitz: Grade C

[sigh]

Looks like this team has quit. Worse than the BB team quitting on Collins 2 years ago after 3 Big 10 games ;)

I don't believe a team really "quits" at this level, but what I really want to know about that statement above is WHY they would quit at this point of a 5-2 season. They may have been terrible the last two weeks, but why quit now? It's something bad, but it CAN'T be quitting. I just can't believe that.

Don't know that I can't argue with anything you've said Turk. I am no fan of McCall. He's predictable, boring and completely clueless at times. I'd also like to see more WM Long as JJ is not a power runner and struggles against strong D lines. He has struggled in the last two games and against EIU as well. Don't get me wrong I love JJ and think he's fantastic but if it isn't working with him try WM Long a bit. On that note we certainly did abandon the run quickly and turn to passing. If we are going to be a running team,then come up with something different because this is clearly not working against power teams. Thus is Thorson who we should have at QB? He can't run the option and is not as good of a passer as Oliver. I understand that Thorson doesn't get much help from his line or his receivers but to continue this is insanity. Same thing with the wide outs if they can't catch the ball then start some other guys! Fitz needs to put his foot down and get tough.

The defensive performance was atrocious. Why would Hank deserve a C?
Fair enough. I know he is a soft spoken presence on the sidelines but he really should have lit into the D. someone needs to really set Walker straight and light into that kid. He lacks intensity and his personality gets beaten when we fall behind. When we are winning or ahead, he seems like a different player. Just my observance.

Doc adjusted to a D-

Don't know that I can't argue with anything you've said Turk. I am no fan of McCall. He's predictable, boring and completely clueless at times. I'd also like to see more WM Long as JJ is not a power runner and struggles against strong D lines. He has struggled in the last two games and against EIU as well. Don't get me wrong I love JJ and think he's fantastic but if it isn't working with him try WM Long a bit. On that note we certainly did abandon the run quickly and turn to passing. If we are going to be a running team,then come up with something different because this is clearly not working against power teams. Thus is Thorson who we should have at QB? He can't run the option and is not as good of a passer as Oliver. I understand that Thorson doesn't get much help from his line or his receivers but to continue this is insanity. Same thing with the wide outs if they can't catch the ball then start some other guys! Fitz needs to put his foot down and get tough.

Problems:
- NU receivers can't either get open or catch. Therefore, Oliver isn't much of an option.
- The NU OL can't create holes, therefore whether it is JJ or Long or Vault they aren't going to be able to run consistently against Big 10 teams in the absence of a passing game. See above.
- Without the ability to control the ball, defense will eventually wear out. See the second half today.

I was super optimistic before today. Figured NU had a one-off bad game against a very tough Michigan team and would respond today. But with the complete melt-down today, it is hard to see how this team pulls itself together against a resurgent UNL team next week. And NU is terrible after bye weeks. Man, what a mess.....

We need a two back system. Many teams have it, why don't we? Why put 4 wide outs out there who can't block and can't catch when we have Long on the sidelines? Long is an absolute stud. So is Jackson. We had them both in there one play that I remember. That play was going to be a big gainer as Jackson saw the monster hole but fumbled the ball because he was thinking about getting a long TD. I've been saying for weeks, go with our strengths and play 2 RB's. Also play Vault in the slot. Why do we continuously use Christian Jones as a slot guy? He should be on the outside anyways. We need Vault to get touches, he is electric. Instead we are going to McHugh, Cam Dickerson, Shuler, Jones, and collectively they are not consistent or dependent. Long is a load. He is strong, runs hard, and is quick enough. He is Jason "If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be" Wright, all over again. Power Power Power. We should be running Thunder and Lightning with Jackson and Long. It also should set up RB screens, etc.

Reactions: IGNORE2
We need a two back system. Many teams have it, why don't we? Why put 4 wide outs out there who can't block and can't catch when we have Long on the sidelines? Long is an absolute stud. So is Jackson. We had them both in there one play that I remember. That play was going to be a big gainer as Jackson saw the monster hole but fumbled the ball because he was thinking about getting a long TD. I've been saying for weeks, go with our strengths and play 2 RB's. Also play Vault in the slot. Why do we continuously use Christian Jones as a slot guy? He should be on the outside anyways. We need Vault to get touches, he is electric. Instead we are going to McHugh, Cam Dickerson, Shuler, Jones, and collectively they are not consistent or dependent. Long is a load. He is strong, runs hard, and is quick enough. He is Jason "If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be" Wright, all over again. Power Power Power. We should be running Thunder and Lightning with Jackson and Long. It also should set up RB screens, etc.

You are right. Problem is, you cannot change your offensive system (such as it is) mid-season in college.

I don't believe a team really "quits" at this level, but what I really want to know about that statement above is WHY they would quit at this point of a 5-2 season. They may have been terrible the last two weeks, but why quit now? It's something bad, but it CAN'T be quitting. I just can't believe that.
Opposing teams have shifted and decided to just gang up on Jackson and force Thorson and our wide outs to beat us. That's a big part of it, but not all of it. Thorson has had SERIOUS ball handling problems. I have no idea why as he bobbled like 5 balls today, fumbling one, even after he gets the snap. I'm assuming his hands are not small and that he is simply looking upfield or whatever, but he is not protecting the ball in his hands.

You are right. Problem is, you cannot change your offensive system (such as it is) mid-season in college.
Nobody is changing the offense. We have a two back set. We should just run it more.

But check this out. Let's say we go with the one back set. Even in the one back set we can change personnel and system to enhance productivity.

For instance, Jackson split out wide presented some interesting matchups and was successful in the passing game. I think he had 4 or 5 receptions today. But, instead of having an unproductive empty backfield, bring in Long with Jackson split out wide. With Long in the backfield, it creates different scenarios as Long can stay in to max protect; he can do a RB screen; or he can run the ball. The 4 wide receiver system with only 5 blockers and nobody in the backfield is eating us alive, given our OL.

At any rate, that is just one personnel adjustment that I think we ought to try, at least for protection, but with other possibilities.

Nobody is changing the offense. We have a two back set. We should just run it more.

But check this out. Let's say we go with the one back set. Even in the one back set we can change personnel and system to enhance productivity.

For instance, Jackson split out wide presented some interesting matchups and was successful in the passing game. I think he had 4 or 5 receptions today. But, instead of having an unproductive empty backfield, bring in Long with Jackson split out wide. With Long in the backfield, it creates different scenarios as Long can stay in to max protect; he can do a RB screen; or he can run the ball. The 4 wide receiver system with only 5 blockers and nobody in the backfield is eating us alive, given our OL.

At any rate, that is just one personnel adjustment that I think we ought to try, at least for protection, but with other possibilities.

Sadly, it won't matter. NU cannot pass the ball. If you cannot pass, pretty much anyone can stop whatever run formation you put in. Right now, NU is 14th out of 14 teams Big 10 teams in passing. Even Minny is better. Sad.

Players, formations, plays.

Use Vault. Use Long. Use GDick. Use Vitale. Try Anderson.

We go (several) deep at WR. Use the other skill guys more.

Reactions: Turk
Sadly, it won't matter. NU cannot pass the ball. If you cannot pass, pretty much anyone can stop whatever run formation you put in. Right now, NU is 14th out of 14 teams Big 10 teams in passing. Even Minny is better. Sad.
yeah but we can put in more protection. Thorson doesn't look bad when given time. Have a freakn RB back there like we did last year with him or Green. Why in the hell do we go with MINIMUM protection and nobody back there to help pick anything up? We are going to get Thorson killed back there. Or put Gdick in for max protection. We can't just blindly running 4 very very poor wideouts on routes that flood a zone and let passes bounce off their helmets or hands.

yeah but we can put in more protection. Thorson doesn't look bad when given time. Have a freakn RB back there like we did last year with him or Green. Why in the hell do we go with MINIMUM protection and nobody back there to help pick anything up? We are going to get Thorson killed back there. Or put Gdick in for max protection. We can't just blindly running 4 very very poor wideouts on routes that flood a zone and let passes bounce off their helmets or hands.

Turk, what you say is correct. But this team has mailed it in.Receivers don't want to get hit so they don't catch the ball. Defenses will load the box in the last 5 games and kill the RBs. Sad.

Time for NU to do what t has done a number of times... pull a surprise win after things were going down hill fast. We caught some good teams early and won with defense. Stanford, Duke both have seen their offenses improve with reps while ours is no better and predictable. November will be a better trimester than October. Purdue, PSU, UI all beatble need 2 of 3 to clinch a winning season and get to a winnable bowl. There is one positive. Thorson can still play and did not get crippled and we will go to a winnable bowl rather than take a beat down.. still calling for 8-5 with a bowl win.. ot what we had hoped a few weeks ago but still good enough to keep a good recruiting class together. Thorson will be really good... Justwill need a line to protect him. JACKSON HAS TAKEN A YEARS WORTH OF HITS ALREADY - IS STARTING TO SHOW. sTILL SAYING 8-5

[sigh]

Looks like this team has quit. Worse than the BB team quitting on Collins 2 years ago after 3 Big 10 games ;)
I don't think any team has quit on Collins. You must be thinking of another HC.

Time for NU to do what t has done a number of times... pull a surprise win after things were going down hill fast. We caught some good teams early and won with defense. Stanford, Duke both have seen their offenses improve with reps while ours is no better and predictable. November will be a better trimester than October. Purdue, PSU, UI all beatble need 2 of 3 to clinch a winning season and get to a winnable bowl. There is one positive. Thorson can still play and did not get crippled and we will go to a winnable bowl rather than take a beat down.. still calling for 8-5 with a bowl win.. ot what we had hoped a few weeks ago but still good enough to keep a good recruiting class together. Thorson will be really good... Justwill need a line to protect him. JACKSON HAS TAKEN A YEARS WORTH OF HITS ALREADY - IS STARTING TO SHOW. sTILL SAYING 8-5

I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't see us scoring on PSU's D or stopping UI on offense enough to win. 20 points is an offensive explosion for us, and that's just not enough to win conference games. I would have took 5-2 at this point before the season started, but the manner in which we didn't show up for the last two HUGE games is alarming. I just don't see us getting more than 2 more wins if we refuse to get aggressive and actually take a few chances on O.

Reactions: NJCat83588
I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't see us scoring on PSU's D or stopping UI on offense enough to win. 20 points is an offensive explosion for us, and that's just not enough to win conference games. I would have took 5-2 at this point before the season started, but the manner in which we didn't show up for the last two HUGE games is alarming. I just don't see us getting more than 2 more wins if we refuse to get aggressive and actually take a few chances on O.

Yep. Watching PSU against OSU last night, I agree NU will be challenged to score. NU had a lucky run but the Cats are regressing while most teams seem to find a way to get better as the season progresses. I can see a win against Purdue at home and that's about it.

Turk, what you say is correct. But this team has mailed it in.Receivers don't want to get hit so they don't catch the ball. Defenses will load the box in the last 5 games and kill the RBs. Sad.
Although I can agree that the wide outs are very very soft, I don't believe the team has mailed it in. I think they have no identity and lack trust. And the coaches showed yesterday that they have no answer when a team just insist on stopping Jackson. I thought the team mailed it in last year after we were embarrassed on TV a couple times, but then they came to play at Notre Dame. I'll give Fitz credit here and say that he will have this team ready to play, but if they can't fix the personnel problems and very very serious problems on offense, and now defense without Harris, then it won't matter. Watkins has to fight through wr blocks.

We have the players to win the rest of our games, but based on my observations of the last two games, I'm standing down on saying we will win another game. Really sad because we hit like Mays out there for the first 5 games, but now our defense is standing down.

I hope Fitz was really, really embarrassed by the way his team played in front of his former coach and team

He has demonstrated that he doesn't care what the fans think, so maybe he cares what his former teammates think

Or maybe not, maybe losing is cool now

Simple math. We play 11 guys on offense. One is a QB. That leaves 10. We play 4 WRs routinely. That means that 40% of our offensive team is guys who cannot do their jobs. How can we possibly expect to be successful when 40% of the guys on the field simply can't do their jobs?

We'd be better off running the single wing.

Defense: F. Not a D - .

We couldn't defend against a team with a bum QB, a third string RB, and a hallowed out line . . . similar to our injury prone offensive line before this year, you know, the one our coaches have relied upon as an excuse factory for matching 5-7 seasons.

Offense. F and an expulsion from school. Infraction to be listed on its permanent record. No right to appeal. How is it that Iowa - whom we routinely win recruiting battles and has bottom half talent to start with - how, under Iowa's "next man up" philosophy, do its players successfully "execute" its plays despite multiple, moving, spare parts?

All this was displayed before our eyes at a well attended home game . . . and on the twentieth year reunion of the Rose Bowl season. Blown out by the 3rd. White flag in the 4th. What a freaking embarrassment! Can you think of any greater one?

And why does our healthy, well recruited and oiled machine fail to "execute" the grand stratagems of our coaching staff? Expect victory? No. Expect misery.

Need to run two back with Long more and try to control the clock more.

Simple math. We play 11 guys on offense. One is a QB. That leaves 10. We play 4 WRs routinely. That means that 40% of our offensive team is guys who cannot do their jobs. How can we possibly expect to be successful when 40% of the guys on the field simply can't do their jobs?

We'd be better off running the single wing.

Need to get best 11 out there. I don't know if there is a QB in best 11. Throw both SBs, 3 RBs and start trying AA. Cannot get any worse. He'll bring back thee wishbone. Do something.

Do you have any RB screens? Pay attention to what Iowa did when we brought heat. Iowa had outlet receivers, and several RB screens that killed us.
Bingo. The RB screen has never been a big part of McCall's repertoire. He doesn't do much to help out his QBs against aggressive defenses.

Defense: F. Not a D - .

We couldn't defend against a team with a bum QB, a third string RB, and a hallowed out line . . . similar to our injury prone offensive line before this year, you know, the one our coaches have relied upon as an excuse factory for matching 5-7 seasons.

Offense. F and an expulsion from school. Infraction to be listed on its permanent record. No right to appeal. How is it that Iowa - whom we routinely win recruiting battles and has bottom half talent to start with - how, under Iowa's "next man up" philosophy, do its players successfully "execute" its plays despite multiple, moving, spare parts?

All this was displayed before our eyes at a well attended home game . . . and on the twentieth year reunion of the Rose Bowl season. Blown out by the 3rd. White flag in the 4th. What a freaking embarrassment! Can you think of any greater one?

And why does our healthy, well recruited and oiled machine fail to "execute" the grand stratagems of our coaching staff? Expect victory? No. Expect misery.
We do not win those recruiting battles for OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT