ADVERTISEMENT

Ty injury

In my mind the issue around the recovery is not just how long it takes to get back to being active to play. There's a chance he could be active in a month. It's just that a month off takes a player back to pre-season levels. It is not plug and play at the same level again.

This is what I worry about. Even if he comes back, the first time he misses a couple of wide-open threes we'll be wondering if he rushed back or "hasn't gotten his legs back" or whatever.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Hopefully a minor meniscus problem as I understand there is a range.

I have my meniscus shaved in 1995:

1) Also hurt it playing basketball, I was 20
2) First two days after I was hurt knee hurt, limped, going up and down stairs was quite problematic.
3) Few days later it did not hurt
4) Surgery led to leg wrapped for 1-2 weeks. Don't recall the exact
5) Thigh's diameter measured 1 inch less when the bandages came off
6) Really weird to put my foot down and feel I did not have enough strength to withstand my body weight
7) Did a bit of PT and quickly, within a week, recovered a great deal and was living a normal life
8) Don't really know how I felt playing ball as the season was over at that point

In my mind the issue around the recovery is not just how long it takes to get back to being active to play. There's a chance he could be active in a month. It's just that a month off takes a player back to pre-season levels. It is not plug and play at the same level again.
I don't know you but have always assumed you played at a high level. Did you get the kind of medical and rehab attention that Ty will get. If so I would guess Ty's recovery would be similar to yours as it sounds kind of like mine except I was much older and didn't get a ton of PT. One hopeful difference might be the equipment should be improved since 1995.
I wonder if they use lasers now?

I have my meniscus shaved in 1995:

2) First two days after I was hurt knee hurt, limped, going up and down stairs was quite problematic.
6) Really weird to put my foot down and feel I did not have enough strength to withstand my body weight
7) Did a bit of PT and quickly, within a week, recovered a great deal and was living a normal life
8) Don't really know how I felt playing ball as the season was over at that point

Thanks for sharing. And yeah, he comes back the cardio probably will not be the same and also he was shooting so well last month or so, who knows if that is the same after a layoff. The only silver lining is it forces us to play depth players more so Clayton and Martinelli could be more prepared for the postseason..?

I don't know you but have always assumed you played at a high level. Did you get the kind of medical and rehab attention that Ty will get. If so I would guess Ty's recovery would be similar to yours as it sounds kind of like mine except I was much older and didn't get a ton of PT. One hopeful difference might be the equipment should be improved since 1995.
Nah, would not call it high level. I played with pros in Europe, but I was never a pro myself. By the time I had the meniscus problem I had already decided pro ball was not for me and that I was going to play until I was out of college and be done with it. And that's what happened. My recovery was probably close to what yours was, did PT, but nothing like what Ty will do.

Nah, would not call it high level. I played with pros in Europe, but I was never a pro myself. By the time I had the meniscus problem I had already decided pro ball was not for me and that I was going to play until I was out of college and be done with it. And that's what happened. My recovery was probably close to what yours was, did PT, but nothing like what Ty will do.
Well, maybe given more modern procedures and better PT, his recovery will surprise us.

I actually waited quite a while before I had my surgery and was active with the injury but the torn part would occasionally catch in the joint and that hurt like Hell and I got sick of having to be so careful.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Or robots

Or robots
I've read about such things but I think it's still Science fiction. I could be wrong. Things change really fast.

I only suggested lasers because I know they can do some pretty incredible things scoping with lasers to help enlarged prostates. I'll spare you the details.

Actually, kind of.
I highly doubt that.

Right now I’m still unhappy with this news even though I have an extra $100 in my pocket for 2024.

I’d be even unhappier if I’d shelled out $10 for the month to find out this info two days earlier. Instead, I can go get a hot dog and a coke while I absorb the news.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I highly doubt that.

Right now I’m still unhappy with this news even though I have an extra $100 in my pocket for 2024.

I’d be even unhappier if I’d shelled out $10 for the month to find out this info two days earlier. Instead, I can go get a hot dog and a coke while I absorb the news.
Literally everyone is happy with your decision

Reactions: No Chores
Now its all starting to make sense...

Those Eurotrashers were smoking cigarettes while playing zone defenses, weren't they?

Yes, along the lines of this sweet bastard

Ricky Bobby Sony GIF by Talladega Nights

Literally everyone is happy with your decision
Enjoy it. As soon as Lou shares a sweet deal to rejoin The Rock, I’ll be back on there ensuring that the Truth is restored and maintained for at least 12 months.

In the meantime, you have fun with the groupthink bullyfest behind the paywall. I think I’ll go enjoy a fine Blimpie’s dinner with the funds I’ve saved this month.

Reactions: IGNORE2

I had my meniscus shaved in 1995:

Exactly my fear. It’s a tall order to expect Ty to be as effective as he has been this season when he returns.

I think the most likely outcome for the rest of the season is NU needs to find ways to win with No or limited contribution from Ty. It sucks because imo NU was going to moonwalk into the tourney. Going to be close games now, but we still have enough.

Exactly my fear. It’s a tall order to expect Ty to be as effective as he has been this season when he returns.

I think the most likely outcome for the rest of the season is NU needs to find ways to win with No or limited contribution from Ty. It sucks because imo NU was going to moonwalk into the tourney. Going to be close games now, but we still have enough.
I’m of the opposite mindset.

Rest Berry, let him heal (meniscus injuries can be tricky), and get him ready for March if we can.

This team can still make the tournament without him and allow the younger players to develop.

We’ll need Berry healthy if we want to actually win in March and not just settle for 1-1 again.

Reactions: drewjin
I’m of the opposite mindset.

Rest Berry, let him heal (meniscus injuries can be tricky), and get him ready for March if we can.

This team can still make the tournament without him and allow the younger players to develop.

We’ll need Berry healthy if we want to actually win in March and not just settle for 1-1 again.
The reason we are 1-1 in March is because we don’t get a high enough seed and have to face top seeds in the second round. We have very, very little chance of improving our seed (better than last year’s 7 seed) without Berry, mainly because we can’t expect anyone on our bench to be respected as a scorer.

I had my meniscus shaved in 1995:

An operation for a torn meniscus varies depending on where the meniscus is torn. A tear on the inner margin is typically removed, as there is no potential for healing in this area. A tear on the periphery of the meniscus can heal if sutured. It is desirable to save as much of the meniscus as possible for long term joint health. A player may be able to return by next season if the meniscus is sutured. A player may be able to get back to playing in a few weeks if a small flap tear is excised. The difference is because the repaired meniscus needs to be carefully protected to allow it to heal.

Team physicians are in a tough position, especially those with professional teams. If Ty has a repairable meniscal tear, it should be repaired, despite ending his NU career. Players want to play and often believe arthroscopic surgery and a partial meniscectomy has limited consequences.
When I started repairing menisci, I had to turn away patients that demanded a meniscectomy even if I found a repairable tear. An arthroscopic meniscectomy is a two stage procedure-the first is arthroscopic and the second is not.

Team physicians are in a tough position, especially those with professional teams. If Ty has a repairable meniscal tear, it should be repaired, despite ending his NU career. Players want to play and often believe arthroscopic surgery and a partial meniscectomy has limited consequences.
When I started repairing menisci, I had to turn away patients that demanded a meniscectomy even if I found a repairable tear. An arthroscopic meniscectomy is a two stage procedure-the first is arthroscopic and the second is not.
Why would it end his career? He's eligible to return next year. I'd be shocked if goes to play at another school, as he and Brooks would lead the way next year with support from Martinelli, (hopefully) Nicholson, maybe a transfer PG/CG in the mix and hopefully a heaping helping of the young guys.

I'm holding out hope we can get him back around the BTT until told otherwise.

Why would it end his career? He's eligible to return next year. I'd be shocked if goes to play at another school, as he and Brooks would lead the way next year with support from Martinelli, (hopefully) Nicholson, maybe a transfer PG/CG in the mix and hopefully a heaping helping of the young guys.

I'm holding out hope we can get him back around the BTT until told otherwise.
I would be beyond shocked if Berry left NU after this year. When I talked to people close to Nicholson earlier this year, it sounded as if he would also be open to coming back if he was asked.

I've read about such things but I think it's still Science fiction. I could be wrong. Things change really fast.

I only suggested lasers because I know they can do some pretty incredible things scoping with lasers to help enlarged prostates. I'll spare you the details.
I was cut by DaVinci. Not the artist. Also not breathing.

I would be beyond shocked if Berry left NU after this year. When I talked to people close to Nicholson earlier this year, it sounded as if he would also be open to coming back if he was asked.
Yeah, I know NIL is a game changer. But these guys experienced a lot of bad times here and now have been experiencing a lot of good times here. Human nature is to want to continue the good times. I’d like to see them all back. Maybe we can petition to get Boo a 9th year too.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman

In the type of team where he would be a spot up jumper, say Purdue, it's likely he could come back and be impactful. But that's not us, he has to work hard for his shots. To get open, to have that slim fraction of a second to get up, to have the legs, the stamina, the concentration, you need to be in tip top shape. Not 80%, anything less of 95% and you are pretty useless (exception to players who are physically freaks of nature, but that's not the case).

If he comes back before the season is over, I am at least 90% convinced he won't have much impact. And that it's unfair to expect that from him.

• Sad
Whatever his injury turns out to be, I suspect his indirect experience of what happened to Roper last year with give Ty cause to not return until he feels truly 100%. I may be wrong, but I give him credit for seeing the benefits of caution with injury.

Doc. If it is reparable, what is the recovery period likely to be?

Doc. If it is reparable, what is the recovery period likely to be?
6-12 weeks on crutches non-weightbearing then another 3 months before competition.> If a repair has been done , there should not be a rush to return to competition. A displaced "bucket handle tear" would require the 12 weeks of NWB, a smaller tear might require less NWB time.

I was under the impression that Ty did not have another year of eligibility left.

Last edited:
I had the bucket handle but it was flapping at on end so they just removed it. It was a long time ago but Have run many 10 K's since then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT