ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh - Earnest Brown is now a 4 Star on 247! Run!!!!

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Now the big boys will be coming after him. Head for the hills!

Seriously, I guess his performance in the bowl prompted some sort of re-evaluation. Fair enough.

He still would benefit greatly from a RS, IMO. I just think we would be getting a much stronger player in a year's time. His physical gifts are obvious. Just needs to grow a bit.

FTR, my own personal star rating system:

5 stars = ready to play right away and be impactful. physically ready, exceptionally talented, sufficiently developed technique, and the game sense to play as a true frosh.

4 stars = exceptionally talented compared to the vast pool of recruits, but maybe not quite physically ready or would be at some sort of physical or technique disadvantage if playing as a true frosh.

3 stars = talented enough for a P5 program with physical development, proper technique instruction, and some maturation. could be a star, but just too hard to project right now coming out of HS.

2 stars = generally kids not scouted or physically just not profiling as a power school player; always some surprises in this lot because they are simply overlooked.

1 star = hit the books, or it's "you want fries with that?"

Congratulations to Earnest for all the hard work he has put in to get some recognition.

Doesn't hurt NU's PR or recruit class ranking either.

Go Cats!

Reactions: kreggk
Now the big boys will be coming after him. Head for the hills!

Seriously, I guess his performance in the bowl prompted some sort of re-evaluation. Fair enough.

He still would benefit greatly from a RS, IMO. I just think we would be getting a much stronger player in a year's time. His physical gifts are obvious. Just needs to grow a bit.

FTR, my own personal star rating system:

5 stars = ready to play right away and be impactful. physically ready, exceptionally talented, sufficiently developed technique, and the game sense to play as a true frosh.

4 stars = exceptionally talented compared to the vast pool of recruits, but maybe not quite physically ready or would be at some sort of physical or technique disadvantage if playing as a true frosh.

3 stars = talented enough for a P5 program with physical development, proper technique instruction, and some maturation. could be a star, but just too hard to project right now coming out of HS.

2 stars = generally kids not scouted or physically just not profiling as a power school player; always some surprises in this lot because they are simply overlooked.

1 star = hit the books, or it's "you want fries with that?"
I would suggest that there is a lot of overlap between groups. Some between 4 and 5. some between 3 and 4 and some between 2 and 3 by your definitions. And certain positions more so. JJ is an example of a 4 star that came in ready to play. Whereas on OL even a 5 star might need development

I would suggest that there is a lot of overlap between groups. Some between 4 and 5. some between 3 and 4 and some between 2 and 3 by your definitions. And certain positions more so. JJ is an example of a 4 star that came in ready to play. Whereas on OL even a 5 star might need development
Undoubtedly. Any rating system will try to apply discrete buckets to what is a continuum across a broad spectrum of attributes.

Nah. The ratings for a considerable % in each "bin" are wrong. One can screw up the ratings on 50% of recruits and you'll still find a glorious relationship between stars and success in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT