ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV QB takes redshirt due to NIL dispute

This third-game/redshirting thing is a concern to me, as well.

I will say for myself...college football is the only sport I really follow. I've never particularly cared for the NFL, largely because of how quickly the players move from one team to another (same for MLB, etc.) And well...here we are.

I thought the policy used to be “5 years to play 4”, and that six-year seniors were only medical redshirts.

Considering the sport is nominally tied to education, it would be good if we reverted to that rule.

Quitting three games in really sucks. I hope he’s enjoying his single UNLV online class.

I thought the policy used to be “5 years to play 4”, and that six-year seniors were only medical redshirts.

Considering the sport is nominally tied to education, it would be good if we reverted to that rule.

Quitting three games in really sucks. I hope he’s enjoying his single UNLV online class.

If you showed up for work on Monday after not getting paid for the prior week and decided not to return, would you consider that quitting?

Reactions: Darren72
The school that he plays for supplies his scholarship, not his NIL payment. If he's taking the scholarship then he should be playing.

He accepting the scholarship with the understanding he’d be receiving an NIL payment of $100k; when the UNLV collective renigned on their deal he decided to save his final year of eligibility and look to play elsewhere. He did not want to play for a coach that lied to him.

He accepting the scholarship with the understanding he’d be receiving an NIL payment of $100k; when the UNLV collective renigned on their deal he decided to save his final year of eligibility and look to play elsewhere. He did not want to play for a coach that lied to him.
The coach cannot promise NIL payments. NIL are third-party payments for the right to use a player's name, image, and/or likeness. They are not payments from a school or a coach in exchange for playing.

If the coach was promising such things, I think that's probably against the law.

This whole system is built upon a legal fiction, but if the parties at play don't adhere to the rules of the fiction, this whole system is going to fall apart, and it's going to be ugly.
I think quitting on your 3-0 team is where it turns ugly.

I think it’s fine that the kid is doing it; this is likely his only chance to get paid playing football, and there’s not a 20something who would turn down the chance to start their real life after making six figures.

I can’t believe nothing was written down. Or nothing enforceable. Or whatever.

Is the new rule that one can take an unlimited number of redshirt years?

You’re not that naive are you?
If you're not playing by the rules, that's a good way to land your ass in court.

And if our coaches are promising such things that they're prohibited from promising, then they will lose my support immediately and I'll call for them to be marched right out the door.

How disgusting that you call honor naive.

If you're not playing by the rules, that's a good way to land your ass in court.

And if our coaches are promising such things that they're prohibited from promising, then they will lose my support immediately and I'll call for them to be marched right out the door.

I never called honor naive; those were your words. You are naive to think coaches, boosters and agents act with honor. Get your head out of the sand.

I applaud (and support) Jacob and TrueNU for doing things the honorable way. We are fortunate to have them. Hopefully the system levels out and the rules are enforced; if not NU will be at a significant disadvantage.

I never called honor naive; those were your words. You are naive to think coaches, boosters and agents act with honor. Get your head out of the sand.

I applaud (and support) Jacob and TrueNU for doing things the honorable way. We are fortunate to have them. Hopefully the system levels out and the rules are enforced; if not NU will be at a significant disadvantage.
After I saw those UTEP players take NIL money and then choose to sit themselves after exactly 4 games, I don't think any of the parties are acting with honor, and this greed will see to this system's undoing if nothing else will. The greed is accelerating to unsustainable levels.

I think quitting on your 3-0 team is where it turns ugly.

I think it’s fine that the kid is doing it; this is likely his only chance to get paid playing football, and there’s not a 20something who would turn down the chance to start their real life after making six figures.

I can’t believe nothing was written down. Or nothing enforceable. Or whatever.

Is the new rule that one can take an unlimited number of redshirt years?
I was always under the impression that redshirts (aside from medical) were at the discretion of the coach. There was a phrase "burning the redshirt" when a coach decided that such a player would be needed during the season. I wasn't under the impression that the player could decline.

What would be enforceable? The kid was paid money in exchange for the use of his name, image, and/or likeness. I don't think such payments can legally be tied to his performance.

What is tied to his performance is his scholarship. If he refuses to play, then the school should kick him off the team. Until schools start to put their foot down over this, there will be players gaming the system. I haven't seen any schools put their foot down yet; I'm not sure why.

Whether this level of explicit involvement by the coaches is allowed or not varies from state to state. In many places it is perfectly allowed for a coach to say “we’ll make sure get XYZ amount” and then work with the collective to make sure that money gets raised.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
After I saw those UTEP players take NIL money and then choose to sit themselves after exactly 4 games, I don't think any of the parties are acting with honor, and this greed will see to this system's undoing if nothing else will. The greed is accelerating to unsustainable levels.
And that will kill THEIR golden goose

The coach cannot promise NIL payments. NIL are third-party payments for the right to use a player's name, image, and/or likeness. They are not payments from a school or a coach in exchange for playing.

If the coach was promising such things, I think that's probably against the law.
Here is some info that includes that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT