ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular (?) opinion: Sullivan played well vs. Howard

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
People I sat with at the game thought (for most of the game) that he looked horrible, taking too many sacks, missing open receivers, etc.

I thought he threw well. He threw 13/18 (not a bad percentage) for two touchdowns, and the one in the 2nd half was a beautiful, deep shot. The problem, I thought, was that he needed to throw more.

It was a very run-heavy, vanilla game plan. And many of those runs were from Sullivan, without much to show for it. He did have a nice, 35-yard scamper for a TD. Then he had another 14 runs for a total net of 3 yards. There were 4 sacks, but that will happen when the QB runs that much. Some of that is blocking, but some of that is Howard's adjustments. But with Howard keying on Sully, it allowed our RBs to put up some good numbers.

He's still an athletic runner who makes things happen, and I thought he did have some success when he decided to throw it. Once Howard adjusted after he ran for that TD, I wish he would've thrown it some more.

We can tweak the game plan against Nebraska (assuming it's Sully again). I think he has the tools to keep us in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
People I sat with at the game thought (for most of the game) that he looked horrible, taking too many sacks, missing open receivers, etc.

I thought he threw well. He threw 13/18 (not a bad percentage) for two touchdowns, and the one in the 2nd half was a beautiful, deep shot. The problem, I thought, was that he needed to throw more.

It was a very run-heavy, vanilla game plan. And many of those runs were from Sullivan, without much to show for it. He did have a nice, 35-yard scamper for a TD. Then he had another 14 runs for a total net of 3 yards. There were 4 sacks, but that will happen when the QB runs that much. Some of that is blocking, but some of that is Howard's adjustments. But with Howard keying on Sully, it allowed our RBs to put up some good numbers.

He's still an athletic runner who makes things happen, and I thought he did have some success when he decided to throw it. Once Howard adjusted after he ran for that TD, I wish he would've thrown it some more.

We can tweak the game plan against Nebraska (assuming it's Sully again). I think he has the tools to keep us in the game.

Sullivan isn't quick. He is a big guy so he carries a load and he can make the occasional tackler miss, but he is a very ordinary runner as a QB. Howard blitzed every down (?) - wish I could replay the game - and NU didn't have an answer. I always thought when someone is blitzing that much the TE is your friend. Mangieri had one catch. That was it for the TEs. I think Sullivan's goal for that game was to have zero turnovers. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
He played well enough.
He was clearly uncomfortable in the pocket, bailing out too soon and running into sacks. He/coaches seemed to be poorly prepared for what Howard did. He did improve later in the game, but still did not play well overall. His gaudy passing stats 13-18 is misleading. I haven't given up on him though, I love how he connected with Cam for the TD.

He was clearly uncomfortable in the pocket, bailing out too soon and running into sacks. He/coaches seemed to be poorly prepared for what Howard did. He did improve later in the game, but still did not play well overall. His gaudy passing stats 13-18 is misleading. I haven't given up on him though, I love how he connected with Cam for the TD.
He was bad, but I think he is better than he showed in that game. I have no idea what Jakes gameplay was but whatever it was it didn’t help him.

Reactions: DaCat and No Chores

Not unpopular, just wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
With the poor play of the OL, a really important part of QB play is quick, communicable reads between QB and WR when defenses send 5th pass rusher. In Rutgers game, Bryant and wideouts had trouble getting on same page. I thought Sullivan and WR’s had similar problem against Howard. Bryant and company pretty much fixed the problem Post-Rutgers. If Sullivan has to start Saturday I hope Bajakian will have used the two weeks post-Howard to get their hot reads right. If they did, I think Sullivan will be much better than he appeared against Howard. Whoever plays Saturday, they need to be on their A game, because the Cats will not be able to establish any sort of regular run game on the UNL defense.

Reactions: DaCat
With the poor play of the OL, a really important part of QB play is quick, communicable reads between QB and WR when defenses send 5th pass rusher. In Rutgers game, Bryant and wideouts had trouble getting on same page. I thought Sullivan and WR’s had similar problem against Howard. Bryant and company pretty much fixed the problem Post-Rutgers. If Sullivan has to start Saturday I hope Bajakian will have used the two weeks post-Howard to get their hot reads right. If they did, I think Sullivan will be much better than he appeared against Howard. Whoever plays Saturday, they need to be on their A game, because the Cats will not be able to establish any sort of regular run game on the UNL defense.
I hope that the Howard game was a classic "trap game" for us, I'm going to flush it (except for the W) and move onward. Importantly, Sullivan and some our other backups got some real game experience and hopefully will the better for it.

Not sure about those good RB numbers you suggest. Pretty so so when you consider it was Howard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT