ADVERTISEMENT

Updated ourlads depth chart after Porter/Franks news

Go Catz

Sep 26, 2019

I'm not sure what the source is for this depth chart, but they've been updating it and seem to be tracking the latest news. They have Marcus Cisco as RB #4. He got three carries in garbage time against Maryland last year.

Other stuff I noticed:

* They've got freshman Tiernan taking Franks' backup tackle spot. Hopefully he's as good as advertised.

* They bumped Washington over Kirtz in the WR rotation, which if true would mean a small ball lineup with the starters: Robinson (5'10"), Jefferson (5'10"), Washington (5'9").

* They bumped freshman Mosley over tall guys Dennis and GHP. We've seen Mosley catch a few practice passes in the NUFB twitter feed.

* Transfers Meiser and Pooler look to be in the rotation on the D line. Seems like they will be good players for the 'cats.

* Freshman and top IL recruit Uihlein is listed as the backup for McIntyre at WILL, putting him ahead of Jansey. They still have Gallagher over Jones for the MIKE spot.

* They still have Hampton over Heard at CB, contrary to the report that Heard and Mitchell will start. They have Carrington at nickel and Hollis as the next corner.

* Are we thin at interior O line? They have RG Schmidt as the backup center and D'Antonio backing up both guard positions.

Ditto, thanks. If this is accurate/legit: yes, why so thin at OL? That sort of doubling up harkens back to dimmer days.

And GHP...will he ever crack the two-deep? Surprised to see he's just an RS soph. Seems like he's been around longer than that.

I have some doubts about this web source, but it’s believable for the most part. I like Kirtz a lot, but I know the staff really likes Washington. Re cornerback, those 3 will play lots. I don’t get a sense from Lou and camp reports that the offensive line has been sorted out beyond Skoronski, Gerak and Priebe.

Reactions: Titanium999
Ditto, thanks. If this is accurate/legit: yes, why so thin at OL? That sort of doubling up harkens back to dimmer days.

And GHP...will he ever crack the two-deep? Surprised to see he's just an RS soph. Seems like he's been around longer than that.

Wait until Monday. This is purely speculative…no inside info whatsoever. At least one noticeable mistake.

GHP has a position coach who never played the position and has successfully managed to avoid accountability because Cushing and McCall were even worse.

There’s never been more talent in that room, I’ve heard.

I have some doubts about this web source, but it’s believable for the most part. I like Kirtz a lot, but I know the staff really likes Washington. Re cornerback, those 3 will play lots. I don’t get a sense from Lou and camp reports that the offensive line has been sorted out beyond Skoronski, Gerak and Priebe.
I actually look at this website a lot during the season. I think they really make an effort to get it right and update the site pretty often. I find they are fairly accurate, not perfect, especially with getting the jersey numbers correct. The two deep Is more of a very educated guess, fairly good but certainly not perfect

GHP has a position coach who never played the position and has successfully managed to avoid accountability because Cushing and McCall were even worse.

I'm a big fan of blaming coaches when players don't develop. They make a lot of money and are working with kids that, collectively, they've recruited and coached. And - emphasis - they are kids. That said, I'm not getting the GHP/poor coaching thing here. They all have the same coach, yet he isn't seeing the field. He's been hyped since he's been here and - yes - players develop at different levels, coach notwithstanding. Wouldn't you think, all things being equal, he'd still beat out the others, even if he didn't play as well as we'd hoped/speculated? Why, for instance, would Kirtz be seeing the field as much as he did? Why is a true freshman beating him out?

I'm not baiting you, I'm just a little wary of the hype now, and reluctant to blame the coach for his specific inability to see the field. I was a big fan of RCB early on. He was one of the few guys we had that seemed to know how to run a route, get open and catch a ball past the sticks. Same with Ebert, way back when. You just knew he was gonna be good. Heck, even Kyle Prater, who had rust all over him when he started here, you could see when he took the field that he was a special talent. Christian Jones stood out from the start. Only one of these guys developed to the next level, but they were all clearly better than their counterparts early, and they played.

I hope I'm wrong, and you can all shoot me down for it, but in terms of hyphenated receivers, it looks to me like GHP might be more PYA than RCB. Maybe the other guys are just better.

We've got a lot of enormous crows/ravens here in Idaho, I will have no shortage if I have to eat crow over this.

I'm imagining that GHP will have a Kyle Prater-like trajectory. We know he's got the height and the athleticism, so it seems that he is working out the nuances of the position.

Reactions: ricko654321
I'm a big fan of blaming coaches when players don't develop. They make a lot of money and are working with kids that, collectively, they've recruited and coached. And - emphasis - they are kids. That said, I'm not getting the GHP/poor coaching thing here. They all have the same coach, yet he isn't seeing the field. He's been hyped since he's been here and - yes - players develop at different levels, coach notwithstanding. Wouldn't you think, all things being equal, he'd still beat out the others, even if he didn't play as well as we'd hoped/speculated? Why, for instance, would Kirtz be seeing the field as much as he did? Why is a true freshman beating him out?

I'm not baiting you, I'm just a little wary of the hype now, and reluctant to blame the coach for his specific inability to see the field. I was a big fan of RCB early on. He was one of the few guys we had that seemed to know how to run a route, get open and catch a ball past the sticks. Same with Ebert, way back when. You just knew he was gonna be good. Heck, even Kyle Prater, who had rust all over him when he started here, you could see when he took the field that he was a special talent. Christian Jones stood out from the start. Only one of these guys developed to the next level, but they were all clearly better than their counterparts early, and they played.

I hope I'm wrong, and you can all shoot me down for it, but in terms of hyphenated receivers, it looks to me like GHP might be more PYA than RCB. Maybe the other guys are just better.

We've got a lot of enormous crows/ravens here in Idaho, I will have no shortage if I have to eat crow over this.
Springer had been with the program for ten years, since 2011. In that time, Ebert is his only draft pick — and he only had a single (very, very good season under Springer). I don't care to look up All Conference players because, improbably, sports-reference.com does not list them. I’m assuming Carr is the only one. And frankly, the fact that Carr caught 90 balls as a senior after having caught 23 balls his first three seasons is arguably a bigger mark against Springer.

I hope the WRs come to play this year. They’ve got a heavy, heavy load to bear.

Springer had been with the program for ten years, since 2011. In that time, Ebert is his only draft pick — and he only had a single (very, very good season under Springer). I don't care to look up All Conference players because, improbably, sports-reference.com does not list them. I’m assuming Carr is the only one. And frankly, the fact that Carr caught 90 balls as a senior after having caught 23 balls his first three seasons is arguably a bigger mark against Springer.

Heavy load to bear? Replacing who? Guys that couldn't even get drafted? McGowan was a solid player. But it's not like the previous guys were Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. This feels like the old Jerry Brown debate from years past.

Flail away at Springer, I don't mind. I might join in just because the other whipping boys have gone. It's just not clear to me why GHP is unable to get playing time vs others that Springer coached (Robinson notwithstanding - although he came from a moribund program)

* Are we thin at interior O line? They have RG Schmidt as the backup center and D'Antonio backing up both guard positions.
No.
It looks like they have the starters listed correctly, from left to right -- LT Skoronski, LG Priebe, C Gerak, RG Schmidt, RT Wiederkehr. Who knows about the backups, and some of that may be due to the uncertainty of injuries to guys like He'Bert. I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson made the 2-deep, while guys like Wrather, Rowley, Tiernan, D'Antonio all seem to be in the mix.

All in all, this turned out to be pretty accurate. Misfires on the OL twos, and special team returners. And, to set the record straight, GHP is on the two-deep after all.

Not having Kirtz as a starter was a glaring oversight.

When I had looked at this before the Porter/Franks news, they had Kirtz as a starter. Something made them think Washington had moved ahead of Kirtz when they did the update. I wonder what it was.

MacPherson never played DB. Should he be on the hot seat as well? Springer has also received positive media attention for his recruiting.

(i hate these comments)

MacPherson never played DB. Should he be on the hot seat as well? Springer has also received positive media attention for his recruiting.

(i hate these comments)
Nope. McPherson’s units are consistently good. Springer’s haven’t ever been.

Reactions: IGNORE2
All in all, this turned out to be pretty accurate. Misfires on the OL twos, and special team returners. And, to set the record straight, GHP is on the two-deep after all.
We’ll see if he actually sees the field when it counts. Don’t forget these depth charts don’t mean squat to Fitz when the game actually starts.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
When I had looked at this before the Porter/Franks news, they had Kirtz as a starter. Something made them think Washington had moved ahead of Kirtz when they did the update. I wonder what it was.

It’s called Fitz ****ing with everybody. These depth charts mean nothing.

How's our WR talent been lately? Any all-Big talent in the room? Or a bunch of 4.7 receivers?
I dont think Springer is the sorta coach that we have to worry about advancing his career.
If he leaves the program, will you miss him? I bet you forget his name.
Stop advocating in a fake way. Unless you really would miss the guy if he left and that you think he is a great coach. If thats your position then share with us something we missed. Otherwise stand down as the conversation is exhausted if you wouldnt feel any love lost if springer disappears.
Nucats320 +1
Glades/springer -1

How's our WR talent been lately? Any all-Big talent in the room? Or a bunch of 4.7 receivers?

Springer has done a nice job developing guys (Carr and RCB to name a few).

Overall WR has been a blind spot for a while from a recruiting perspective.

I dont think Springer is the sorta coach that we have to worry about advancing his career.
If he leaves the program, will you miss him? I bet you forget his name.
Stop advocating in a fake way. Unless you really would miss the guy if he left and that you think he is a great coach. If thats your position then share with us something we missed. Otherwise stand down as the conversation is exhausted if you wouldnt feel any love lost if springer disappears.
Nucats320 +1
Glades/springer -1

I can see COVID has done some damage to your mind already.

We could field an OL consisting of Tech undergrads and some fans would blame Anderson for poor coaching. It gets old. Kinda like Turk ripping Jerry Brown in an unChristian manner many years ago for our talent shortcomings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT