ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
Now that some of the luster may be off Urban Meyer and with Jim Harbaugh being the new big coaching name in conference, does Coach Meyer develop health or personal issues and leave the Buckeyes high and dry?

Now that some of the luster may be off Urban Meyer and with Jim Harbaugh being the new big coaching name in conference, does Coach Meyer develop health or personal issues and leave the Buckeyes high and dry?
His record in Natinal Championship games, bowl games, conference games, and against the hated Michigan is out of this world. If the luster wares off Yrban due to one game, then people are dumb.

His record in Natinal Championship games, bowl games, conference games, and against the hated Michigan is out of this world. If the luster wares off Yrban due to one game, then people are dumb.

Are you saying that there may be some irrational folks in the tOSU fanbase? C'mon now...

He's a superb coach and I expect him to use the 31 - 0 game as a chip on the shoulder item for his 2017 squad. Clemson had a chip on their shoulder that showed.

and, Go Cats !!

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."
- Woody Hayes

Reactions: Deep Purr
Is Dabo a better coach than Urban?

I've considered Saban-Harbaugh-Meyer the top three. I wonder if it's a top four. Or maybe Saban and then everyone else.

When you consider all the talent and maturity that went to the draft last year, the season they had was pretty incredible. I'll be curious to see how many get drafted this year compared to last season.

Is Dabo a better coach than Urban?

I've considered Saban-Harbaugh-Meyer the top three. I wonder if it's a top four. Or maybe Saban and then everyone else.

I think it is Saban and Meyer. Dabo is having a good run, but let's see who his next QB shakes out before putting him on the Saban level.

What big games has Harbaugh won at Michigan? Can't put him on the Saban/Meyer level until he actually wins something.

I think it is Saban and Meyer. Dabo is having a good run, but let's see who his next QB shakes out before putting him on the Saban level.

What big games has Harbaugh won at Michigan? Can't put him on the Saban/Meyer level until he actually wins something.
Swinney has a shockingly good record - it's now six straight ten win seasons, which surprised me. You're probably right that it's Saban (gap) Meyer (gap) then the rest.

I give Harbaugh more credit than I should - he built something sustainable at Stanford, though it was Shaw who did the sustaining.

His next qb will be hunter, the top qb prospect that we were all excited about recently.

With regards to the OP, i wouldnt be surprised if urban used the health excuse to get out of dodge to avoid some dicey and unsavory recruiting violations that may have been too lose for comfort. Total speculation on my part...

Dabo has a verbal for Hunter Johnson a 5 star in this 2017 class. If he doesn't work out he has s 4 star behind him.

For 2018, Dabo has already secured Trevor Lawrence the # 1 recruit for the entire class and who some think is the top Prospect at QB in the last 10 years. I think he'll be ok at QB.

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone. I hope 2017 is healthy and fruitful for all my Northwestern friends and antagonists alike.

As the resident OSU apologist on this board it was kind of necessary for me to respond. So not too long I'll break it up into two posts.

First a general address of Urban Meyer. I'm sure with the loss last night and the rise not only of Michigan under Harbaugh and quite possibly PSU under Franklin, I'm sure the now Meyer will run away in fear of the competition claims will rise.

Bottom line, Meyer isn't afraid of competition. I assume a good number of you know successful people and are successful in your own rights. The top of the top of the success ladder who do it over time ("over time" being key), don't run away from competition. They don't exist. What does exist are individuals who are so consumed not only with success but with the attainment of being the absolute best, that they let it affect their work life balance and personal health. We all know these people. It's also part of their curse that the same stress to be the best that creates negative impact, is the addiction that drives them.

I think that's what defines Meyer not only because of my opinion, but because that is what he and his family say about him.

Regarding last night's game, while brutal to watch as a fan, it wasn't devastating. It's a team that had 44 freshman who never played in a bowl game. Everyone knows that they had offensive glitches exhibited throughout the season and it played out. I think Meyer even knew this as all week he uncharacteristically said in interviews on how this team was a year early. I think he said that because he was that while coaching to win, he was also trying to take off some of the pressure from the team, and maybe more importantly trying to protect their psyche for the off season and next year.

What I do know is the 44 freshman become 44 sophomores next season with an influx of pretty good talent. Meyer isn't the type of coach to say, "Well we had a good year, maybe we'll be luckier next time." He'll hold himself, the coaches, and the players responsible. It's a lot easier to find deficiencies and motivate "competitors" to change after a game like the One against Clemson, than a close loss where a bounce here or there was the difference.

Regarding last night's game, while brutal to watch as a fan, it wasn't devastating. It's a team that had 44 freshman who never played in a bowl game. Everyone knows that they had offensive glitches exhibited throughout the season and it played out. I think Meyer even knew this as all week he uncharacteristically said in interviews on how this team was a year early. I think he said that because he was that while coaching to win, he was also trying to take off some of the pressure from the team, and maybe more importantly trying to protect their psyche for the off season and next year.

What I do know is the 44 freshman become 44 sophomores next season with an influx of pretty good talent. Meyer isn't the type of coach to say, "Well we had a good year, maybe we'll be luckier next time." He'll hold himself, the coaches, and the players responsible. It's a lot easier to find deficiencies and motivate "competitors" to change after a game like the One against Clemson, than a close loss where a bounce here or there was the difference.
So you are expecting an Urban renewal

Considering the team lost 5 players to the NFL draft last spring in the first round (or was it six?) and a bunch more in later rounds, he had a very good season. There is really nothing to see here. They will be back.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
First of all, Happy New Year to everyone. I hope 2017 is healthy and fruitful for all my Northwestern friends and antagonists alike.

As the resident OSU apologist on this board it was kind of necessary for me to respond. So not too long I'll break it up into two posts.

First a general address of Urban Meyer. I'm sure with the loss last night and the rise not only of Michigan under Harbaugh and quite possibly PSU under Franklin, I'm sure the now Meyer will run away in fear of the competition claims will rise.

Bottom line, Meyer isn't afraid of competition. I assume a good number of you know successful people and are successful in your own rights. The top of the top of the success ladder who do it over time ("over time" being key), don't run away from competition. They don't exist. What does exist are individuals who are so consumed not only with success but with the attainment of being the absolute best, that they let it affect their work life balance and personal health. We all know these people. It's also part of their curse that the same stress to be the best that creates negative impact, is the addiction that drives them.

I think that's what defines Meyer not only because of my opinion, but because that is what he and his family say about him.
So what was the real reason he left FL?

I think it's too early to write off Meyer and OSU. Like all things thou, time will tell.

I don't know why anyone with a brain would write off Meyer, but there have been a couple of blips recently. There was the loss to MSU and its second-string QB last season during which his star tailback hardly got the ball, and now the 31-0 beatdown this year. I'm prepared to state that Clemson had great personnel, came into the game with fire and that OSU had a young team looked flat at times this year. Still, the inability to score on a Clemson team that gave up 43 points to Pitt is puzzling considering the level of OSU talent. I suspect spring practice at OSU will have an edge this year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The thing is, the play-off committee hasn't sent the best B1G to the play-offs the past 2 years (last year, dOSU should have gone and this year, should have been PSU (or maybe UM, if they had been healthy).

dOSU had a major flaw which was its O-line.

JT Barrett should be in the prime of his collegiate career, but his best play was during his frosh season when dOSU had a dominant O-line (aside from VT game) and really didn't matter who they put in at QB.

This was probably a season too early to make the play-offs for Bucknuts; however if the O-line improves next season - watch out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT