ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt players shot in CL cell phone caper

Not sure how you guys think the headline is misleading or incriminating. A "caper" is not a felonious activity, but more a foolish foray into some illicit action.

They tried to arrange a sting with a pellet gun. 'Nuff said.
Definitions of "caper":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/capers

Definition of "illicit":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Illicit

It seems that taking the word as implying an unlawful act was reasonable. The use of the word as implying a silly act was also reasonable. It is not a good word for trying to provide clear information. Two of the three definitions are too similar and more context than a title is needed.

ca·per 1
(kā′pər)
n.
1. A playful leap or hop.
2. A frivolous escapade or prank.

Sorry you feel misled and that the players were unfairly impugned.
And definition #3:
3. An illegal plot or enterprise especially one involving theft.

Your deliberately leaving out one of the most pertinent definitions might be considered a "caper" by definition #2.

And definition #3:
3. An illegal plot or enterprise especially one involving theft.

Your deliberately leaving out one of the most pertinent definitions might be considered a "caper" by definition #2.
Good grief. Let it go. I did not incriminate, falsely accuse, of impugn anyone. Far worse things have been writ here. I included a link. WTF are you so chapped about?

Good grief. Let it go. I did not incriminate, falsely accuse, of impugn anyone. Far worse things have been writ here. I included a link. WTF are you so chapped about?
Me? I wrote that both assumptions were reasonable and that capers is a vague word with multiple definitions.

I, of course, could not remain silent when you defended yourself by carefully editing the definition of the word. In the world of posting, that is a much worse breach of etiquette than the original post. A simple statement that "you know, there are two definitions to that word and what I wrote could have been misconstrued" would have ended the discussion. But since you want to continue to fight this out and there is absolutely nothing else going on, I am up for it.

Beats working.

Me? I wrote that both assumptions were reasonable and that capers is a vague word with multiple definitions.

I, of course, could not remain silent when you defended yourself by carefully editing the definition of the word. In the world of posting, that is a much worse breach of etiquette than the original post. A simple statement that "you know, there are two definitions to that word and what I wrote could have been misconstrued" would have ended the discussion. But since you want to continue to fight this out and there is absolutely nothing else going on, I am up for it.

Beats working.

Good grief.

Also a condiment which comes from a bush. They are salty and a large number are grown in the Middle East. Sorry could not resist!!

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Beats working.
I'm not. You win. Have a nice day!

Good grief.
The saddest thing is that this thread has 17 replies (now 18) and most of them have to do with the definition of "capers." And yes, I am the culprit in this particular caper. Which may or may not be a Middle Eastern condiment (which I always assumed was a fish but I know little to nothing about food).

The number of posts on this issue is a cry for more posts and threads with substance.

The real question is what will be the outcome of XWash's caper?
Yeah. With good reason it is sort of a taboo topic that I think most of us wonder about.

I hope that somehow the circumstances surrounding his situation and his subsequent approach to dealing with it can some how be resolved in his best interests and the teams.

I'm sure there are specific rules in place but at the same time every circumstance and person is unique.

The saddest thing is that this thread has 17 replies (now 18) and most of them have to do with the definition of "capers." And yes, I am the culprit in this particular caper. Which may or may not be a Middle Eastern condiment (which I always assumed was a fish but I know little to nothing about food).

The number of posts on this issue is a cry for more posts and threads with substance.
Kipper, caper, what's the difference, really? :)

Kipper, caper, what's the difference, really? :)
This actually makes me feel better. I was wondering why on earth I had capers associated with fish. This is it.

It makes me know less ignorant but it does at least explain the details of my ignorance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT