ADVERTISEMENT

Very, very sad fact.

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
Our fan support sucks! Of course this has been mentioned before but today as I listened to the game on WGN again you could easily here the Minnesota fans over the NU fans! Figure that Minny fans are on the other side of the field and it makes it even more egregious. Then I look at pictures from the game and I see a bunch of empty seats. The students should be embarrassed! By Monday this team should be around 12 or 13 in the country but you would never know by the fan support.

Our fan support sucks! Of course this has been mentioned before but today as I listened to the game on WGN again you could easily here the Minnesota fans over the NU fans! Figure that Minny fans are on the other side of the field and it makes it even more egregious. Then I look at pictures from the game and I see a bunch of empty seats. The students should be embarrassed! By Monday this team should be around 12 or 13 in the country but you would never know by the fan support.

Have you been to a game at Ryan lately? The opposing fans now sit on the west side. Agree with your comment about lame support, though.

11 am starts prior to November always kills attendance. Many STH are families and they gotta be at the pee wee games this time of year. Also, the rain showers early scared a lot away. Never mind the 25 MPH wind at kickoff. Our fans aren't the greatest to start with but when you toss all of that going on, it cuts another 2,000-3,000 from attendance. I was surprised it was 30,000 but that must have included a few thousand no shows cuz it barely looked like 25,000.

Was at the game today. Not many Minnesota fans at game. There definitely could have been more students.

The folks that were there were great, but that was a pathetic crowd. The students were unacceptable for a ranked B1G team. Their tickets are free. I just don't get it. We need more fair weather fans. This team is really fun to watch.

There were not many MN fans there. The crowd was much better than I was expecting. The weather was absolutely atrocious. A good friend of mine from E Lansing said that half their crowd left at halftime too-- and that's the #2 ranked team in the country in a town where there is nothing else to do so don't be so hard on the NU fans.

Most disappointed with the student section today...a lot of baldness in those four sections...

Minny didnt hav
Minny didnt have many opportunities to cheer but when they did they were not bery loud. The NU fans did fine - loud on third down etc

Weird. I was there and I couldn't hear the Minny fans at all.

Last edited:
Agree with PhatCat. NU fans were loud on third down, loud on joining in on the "Move Those Chains" first down chant, and loud in booing the refs on their replay decisions. Also, props to Gary, the PA announcer for integrating the hoops 3 point shot in with a field goal make; loved that!

I heard the boos for refs on TV. The crowd seemed in to the game. Love the enthusiasm from our bench, especially the frosh like Cam Green and Stevie Reese.

I was also there and was a little disappointed by the size of the crowd, drizzle and 30 mph wind early may have held held it down, but I heard very little from Minn fans at all.

Weird. I was there and I couldn't hear the Minny fans at all.
It was funny Stream Cat because I kept thinking that because I was hearing fans cheering on Dave Eanets call that it was a great play by us. The next thing you know Dave says first down Minnesota and I'm like what? Just really bothered me.When I lived in Chicago I used to go to NU games all the time and they stunk then, but tickets were cheap and I wanted to support a team that really was like what a college team should be like. I can't think for the life of me why they don't draw big there.

There were not many MN fans there. The crowd was much better than I was expecting. The weather was absolutely atrocious. A good friend of mine from E Lansing said that half their crowd left at halftime too-- and that's the #2 ranked team in the country in a town where there is nothing else to do so don't be so hard on the NU fans.
The weather was far from "absolutely atrocious". It wasn't ideal, but I've been to countless games that were far worse with better crowds.

11AM starts are terrible. The evening game against BSU drew well. Hopefully the B1G can negotiate away from early starts. Night games through October should be fine. I always thought Evanston limited night games but that is supposedly not true

I also think NU could work a voucher deal with local businesses for the students. Get your voucher (issued to students entering the game before the second quarter) stamped at the end of the game for 50% off at clothing stores and discounts at local eateries. Students and businesses benefit but also improves town and gown relationship

Reactions: lunker35
11AM starts are terrible. The evening game against BSU drew well. Hopefully the B1G can negotiate away from early starts. Night games through October should be fine. I always thought Evanston limited night games but that is supposedly not true

I also think NU could work a voucher deal with local businesses for the students. Get your voucher (issued to students entering the game before the second quarter) stamped at the end of the game for 50% off at clothing stores and discounts at local eateries. Students and businesses benefit but also improves town and gown relationship
Threatening weather was a factor, but I think word is still getting out about this team. Will be very disappointed if Iowa does not sell out.

Given our night game performances over the past couple of seasons...I'll "happily" deal with 7 a.m. alarms and smaller crowds if it means we're winning.

Most disappointed with the student section today...a lot of baldness in those four sections...
number of students aside, they were engaged like I've not seen before. Every time the announcer said "Ball carrier, Justin Jackson", they echoed "Ball carrier, Justin Jackson" in unison. WTH? Our students organized? And every first down, when the band played the riff they do, the students mimicked the arm movement of the cymbals players and the whole section was doing the "Time to Move the Chains...Whoosh!"
I was impressed.

Reactions: NUMBfan
Threatening weather was a factor, but I think word is still getting out about this team. Will be very disappointed if Iowa does not sell out.

I'm not interested in starting a discussion about whether we like/hate "put your hands in the air", but thinking about the Iowa game gave me an idea - wouldn't it be great to have Corey Wooton do the PYHITA intro for that game? Whenever I think about Iowa I think about how tough Corey played them.

number of students aside, they were engaged like I've not seen before. Every time the announcer said "Ball carrier, Justin Jackson", they echoed "Ball carrier, Justin Jackson" in unison. WTH? Our students organized? And every first down, when the band played the riff they do, the students mimicked the arm movement of the cymbals players and the whole section was doing the "Time to Move the Chains...Whoosh!"
I was impressed.

There weren't that many students there, but the one's that were there were standing and into the game. There were very few Minny fans and pretty much never heard them. Of course, we had something to do with that. Let's just enjoy this run, keep winning and they will come.

Think NU should be more concerned about the lack of support from their alums. While the student section was only about half full they did seem into the game. The 11AM games suck! I had to get up at 5:30 in order to get to the west lot by 9AM.

Iowa fans will swarm Evanston. No doubt in my mind game will sold out even if we lose to Michigan. The West Division could be decided and it's Homecoming too.

It was funny Stream Cat because I kept thinking that because I was hearing fans cheering on Dave Eanets call that it was a great play by us. The next thing you know Dave says first down Minnesota and I'm like what? Just really bothered me.When I lived in Chicago I used to go to NU games all the time and they stunk then, but tickets were cheap and I wanted to support a team that really was like what a college team should be like. I can't think for the life of me why they don't draw big there.
I hear you, my brother. Here's one reason we don't draw - lack of press coverage. This morning's Daily Herald in my region didn't even have a story about yesterday's game. It frustrates me to no end.

Was at the game today. Not many Minnesota fans at game. There definitely could have been more students.
My section )108) was more involved that I have seen in the past. Section got up on every 3rd down.

Think NU should be more concerned about the lack of support from their alums. While the student section was only about half full they did seem into the game. The 11AM games suck! I had to get up at 5:30 in order to get to the west lot by 9AM.
There are not that many alums. Probably 40K in the Chicago area or within good game day travel and cut that back for 11 AM start. Beat Mich and they will start being there like in 95 because it will be the thing to do..

There is no excuse for NOT going to the game as a student: tickets are free, no classes, seats are available with good sight lines , etc. I was impressed by the students who were there, very in to the game, on every play. Now if only the other 2/3 of the student section were filled... Remember we have the students there so the camera shots should be better. LOL
Let's win in Ann Arbor and then talk about Homecoming. And while we think we are a very good team, proving it would bring the fans out, in spite of the weather.

Reactions: lunker35
There are not that many alums. Probably 40K in the Chicago area or within good game day travel and cut that back for 11 AM start. Beat Mich and they will start being there like in 95 because it will be the thing to do..
Excuses, excuses.

And I sit on the west side, for 20 years in the "faculty ghetto", and miss the team being in front of us . So, no generalizations.please, regarding who sits where. As long as we are in purple and cheering for the 'CATS, that's where the home side is located.

And I sit on the west side, for 20 years in the "faculty ghetto", and miss the team being in front of us . So, no generalizations.please, regarding who sits where. As long as we are in purple and cheering for the 'CATS, that's where the home side is located.
There shouldn't be a home side vs. visitors side at Ryan. NU is only required to offer visiting programs something like 3,500 tickets. Do you notice a visiting side at UNL? Wisconsin? Io-a? Michigan? The NU fan base is non existent and the alums just can't be bothered to travel a few hours for a game, unless it's a happening like the Rose Bowl.

To be fair thought the schools you have listed Willy have much larger followings than the Cat's because they 5 to 6 times as many graduates. I think NU needs to make the Cat's the cool thing to do and be around. Great time to do it now as well because the Bears just suck!

To be fair thought the schools you have listed Willy have much larger followings than the Cat's because they 5 to 6 times as many graduates. I think NU needs to make the Cat's the cool thing to do and be around. Great time to do it now as well because the Bears just suck!
What you say is true but NU also has the smallest stadium in the conference. Therefore they could more easily fill most of the seats with purple clad fans. Agree that NU needs to make a game in Evanston an attraction. Run special buses and trains from Chicago restaurants and bars to the games. Have a taste of Chicago day outside the stadium. Have a pep rally with NUMB, the cheerleaders and Willie in downtown Chicago. Heck, make Walker terrace a beer garden. In the Ara era crowds of 50,000 + were the norm and those were mostly Wildcat fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT