ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Musso or Mark, who was the best Northwestern punt returner over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern punt returner over the last 25 years?

• Brian Musso

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Venric Mark

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
You thought last week's vote for safety was tough? Try this one: Brian Musso or Venric Mark for best punt returner.

You know the drill. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern punt returner over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best punt returner over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!

The first time we watched Marknado's St. Pius highlight reel, we had to look around to make sure we weren't being punked. Then we were basically gas-lit for two years wondering how we could possibly be the only ones seeing what NU had in #5. And then, finally, the ultimate confirmation of our own sanity.

So...yeah, we're kind of invested in this one.

Just for fun, I’m going off the board with Tony Jones. 13 career returns, one career touchdown, in an era of NU football (which largely continues), where NU *never* returned punts.

(Ugh. NU lost a home game against Illinois in 2014 to fall to 5-7 and miss a bowl game — I had blocked that one out of my mind.)

You thought last week's vote for safety was tough? Try this one: Brian Musso or Venric Mark for best punt returner.

You know the drill. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern punt returner over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best punt returner over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!

Hard to vote against a First Team All-American

I was watching a HS game on ESPN, St. Pius from Houston(I believe) had this electrifying player. I was stunned when it was announced , he was going to NU. He gets to NU and disappears for a year or so but when the staff finally gave him a chance at RB, the electrifying player returned. One of my great NU disappointments was the loss of his senior year.

Reactions: FloridAlum
Brian Musso was far and away the best punt returner and kick returner in the history of Northwestern. The thing I liked about him was he rarely put his hand up for a fair catch. He had the fastest catch and first step of anyone I ever seen at Northwestern. If he doesn’t win it’s only because it was 25 years ago when he played and the vast majority of the people on this board never saw him play. I did and I can tell you Veneric Mark wasn’t in the same leagu.

Brian Musso was far and away the best punt returner and kick returner in the history of Northwestern. The thing I liked about him was he rarely put his hand up for a fair catch. He had the fastest catch and first step of anyone I ever seen at Northwestern. If he doesn’t win it’s only because it was 25 years ago when he played and the vast majority of the people on this board never saw him play. I did and I can tell you Veneric Mark wasn’t in the same leagu.

Far and away? You lost all credibility with me right there.

Reactions: westlotpirates
Yeah, Jeffrey, would grant you that Musso was the best but he and Mark would have to be #1 & 1A. If Mark isn't the most legitimate home run threat Northwestern's ever had, he's certainly on the short list. That said, I still can't forget the time when Mark shot through the middle of the line from the NU 1 at Ryan Field vs Iowa (don't remember the exact year), and appeared on his way to a 99 yd. TD run, only to have Micah Hyde somehow run him down from behind. One of the most impressive plays I've seen against us over there. Any of you guys remember that play, and am I remembering it correctly?

Reactions: wildcat1066
Absolutely. Never have I seen a punt returner, pro or college, who could catch and make the first move so quickly, often with defenders breathing in his face with their hands ready to grab him and their bodies ready to smash him to bits. Musso’s value was that he could give us a solid return when no one else would have even tried. There is Musso and then there are the rest of us chickens.

Yeah, Jeffrey, would grant you that Musso was the best but he and Mark would have to be #1 & 1A. If Mark isn't the most legitimate home run threat Northwestern's ever had, he's certainly on the short list. That said, I still can't forget the time when Mark shot through the middle of the line from the NU 1 at Ryan Field vs Iowa (don't remember the exact year), and appeared on his way to a 99 yd. TD run, only to have Micah Hyde somehow run him down from behind. One of the most impressive plays I've seen against us over there. Any of you guys remember that play, and am I remembering it correctly?

Yes, that is how I remember it too. I was surprised to see that there was someone faster. But that run was after they had opened up his opportunities by making him a running back - it was not a punt return as I vaguely recall from that game. Bryan Musso was one of the real threats and a compelling factor in the Cats' fortunes in 1995 as I also recall.

Last edited:
I saw them both play and Musso wasn't in Mark's league. In fact, my memory fades, but Steve Tasker was probably better, too.

Absolutely. Never have I seen a punt returner, pro or college, who could catch and make the first move so quickly, often with defenders breathing in his face with their hands ready to grab him and their bodies ready to smash him to bits. Musso’s value was that he could give us a solid return when no one else would have even tried. There is Musso and then there are the rest of us chickens.
Fitz doesn’t allow aggressive returns. NU is coached to avoid mistakes and not to make plays in the return game.

Just for fun, I’m going off the board with Tony Jones. 13 career returns, one career touchdown, in an era of NU football (which largely continues), where NU *never* returned punts.

(Ugh. NU lost a home game against Illinois in 2014 to fall to 5-7 and miss a bowl game — I had blocked that one out of my mind.)
Voting third party is folly. I’ve changed to
Team Venric.

Voting third party is folly. I’ve changed to
Team Venric.
Sorry, I had to vote Musso. Since he was the best but also because he didn't cheat on any test or do anything suspect that had him removed from the team. Mark let the team down and it crushed us. Anything he wins should have an * next to it.
Not surprised you voted for Mark. Sad.

Last edited:
When Venric dropped back for a punt, the crowd thought they might see something exciting. When Brian dropped back for a punt, the crowd knew they were going to see something exciting.

How many of these votes were mail-in? Hmmm???

Also, I got busy with work and failed to vote (true). Sorry Brian bc I 100% woulda voted for you!

What was really sad was that Fitz pulled Mark from doing punt returns. I think Mark was All American but at least All Big Ten on returns. Fitz pulls him off the returns. Never mind that Fitz instructed Mark to refuse to return punts on most occasions and watch the ball bounce and bounce or take a fair catch. Even in Mark's great 2012 year he only had 13 returns. Musso usually had about 30+ per year. Infamously, Musso got lambasted alot, especially against Ohio U on a personal foul.

I saw them both play and Musso wasn't in Mark's league. In fact, my memory fades, but Steve Tasker was probably better, too.

Tasker was good, but if players outside the ‘95 window are included, I think Gissendaner was the best the Cats have had, and was only 2 years too early to be included, whereas Tasker was 10 years. Lee averaged better than 4 more yards per return than Tasker, too.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Plus-one on Gissendaner. Amazingly in light of our success the last 25 years, he's the last Wildcat to win the Big Ten MVP award. Did it in Barnett's first season. Off hand, I remember witnessing a touchdown returns at Stanford and the record book shows he averaged an astounding 40 yards on three returns in that game. That award gave Northwestern a little renewed credibility in the Big Ten as we sought to end the Dark Ages.

Dang!! Got in too late to tie it up with a vote for Musso. In Nov '92, he committed to NU over IU and a 3rd school I can't recall. I was surprised, but wondered just how good he really was? Man, he truly was terrific as a punt returner in helping GB turn things around. Exciting every time he touched the ball.

Gissendaner was great in '92. Didn't seem to have the same mojo going in '93.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT