ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern guard over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern guard over the last 25 years?

• Ryan Padgett

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Justin Chabot

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Jeff Roehl

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Brian Mulroe

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
It came down to Padgett vs. Chabot for me. Had to go with Padgett because of his stellar 4-yr career and recognition.

If it was over 25 years, I would vote for Matt O'Dwyer.
Ike Ndukwe.

He quietly had the best NFL career of a guard or center since O’Dwyer, playing in 35 games for different teams from 2005 to 2011.

Ike Ndukwe.

He quietly had the best NFL career of a guard or center since O’Dwyer, playing in 35 games for different teams from 2005 to 2011.

I was thisclose to putting Ike on the list. He had the best NFL career (by far), but in terms of their NU careers, I gave the edge to those four.

I was thisclose to putting Ike on the list. He had the best NFL career (by far), but in terms of their NU careers, I gave the edge to those four.
Oh man! If you’d have asked on the Rock, I bet Ike would have made it. He’d have had a better NU career if not for injuries.

He’s an Ohio kid who turned down OSU to come to NU so he better have @EvanstonCat ’s vote. I know the HC was Cooper, but still.

And he and Strief played insanely well in that 2004 OSU victory to pave the way for Herron - our only one since 1971 (sigh).

Last edited:
Favorite story regarding big Ike.I believe it was 2004, placekicker Joel Howells on kick attempts not once but twice hit Ike in the butt. When questioned by a reporter what he thought about that, Basanez said that it was not too difficult because it was a big target. I loved Basanez interviews

I see CatManTrue already mentioned Ike Ndukwe

I suggest watching Noah Herron's game-winning TD against OSU again. One play doesn't make a career but that was one heck of a block by Ike.

Last edited:
He was a Super Bowl-winning guard who went to NU. My mistake I guess?
Yes, your mistake. The issue we were voting on was who was the best NU guard in the last 25 years. Essex was a tackle and received some votes on this Board for best tackle

Oh man! If you’d have asked on the Rock, I bet Ike would have made it. He’d have had a better NU career if not for injuries.

He’s an Ohio kid who turned down OSU to come to NU so he better have @EvanstonCat ’s vote. I know the HC was Cooper, but still.

And he and Strief played insanely well in that 2004 OSU victory to pave the way for Herron - our only one since 1971 (sigh).
Yep, and so did Essex and Rees

Yes, your mistake. The issue we were voting on was who was the best NU guard in the last 25 years. Essex was a tackle and received some votes on this Board for best tackle

And Chabot played multiple positions, but is on the voting list as a guard. If you don't believe me, maybe it's enough for you to hear it from "NU royalty:"

Your personal animus towards me would almost be flattering if it weren't so weird.

And Chabot played multiple positions, but is on the voting list as a guard. If you don't believe me, maybe it's enough for you to hear it from "NU royalty:"

Your personal animus towards me would almost be flattering if it weren't so weird.
What Chabot playing mutiple positions has to do with the fact that Essex was a tackle is beyond me. My personal animus stems from the fact that you will never admit when you are wrong, and lot's of posters are irritated by this. Trai was a tackle, not a guard. Why not just say so? The subject we were discussing was who was NU's best guard in the past 25 years.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT