ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to have our hands full with Duke....

wildcatcoaster

Oct 27, 2003
Beat the Army team that had beaten them last year convincingly last night.

Daniel Jones is a stud.

And they thrashed us last year (which, having been there, I still can't figure out)

Glad it's in Evanston, but this might be tougher than Purdue.

Daniel Jones is a stud.

And they thrashed us last year (which, having been there, I still can't figure out)

It's going to be tough because Duke will fight till the end, and maybe a tweak better than Purdue, but it's at Ryan Field so it's ours to lose. Don't underestimate Purdue, they are a good team that will go 6-6 and go to a bowl. We should be 3+ point favs.

Daniel Jones is a stud.

If our defense tackle the same way and our pressure on the QB is the same, and we take our foot off the gas, then we will have our hands full. On the other hand if we" play to our potential" (what a great phrase) then we have a chance to win. and if our o-line doesn't get "eaten up by their d-line" (ESPN's comments) then we also have a chance to win. One week to digest the Army game and plan our strategy.

I seem to recall a majority of our corners being out for that game? Weren’t we forced to play a walk-on? Also didn’t one of our starting db’s Get ejected early on for targeting?
Our complete 2 deep CB were out. Trai Williams eventually played the second half (wasn't suppose to play and didn't play the first half). Our starting safety was out, then McGee got tossed out early for a high blow. Then the LB's started blowing their assignements due to the disarray behind them and Danile Jones ran like Fran Tarkenton. Toss in the ungodly humidity and Iv's once again and we pretty much wanted the clock to wind down and just flush the game.

That said, what did you think of Newsome on Thursday? A true freshman looked decent imo.

Reactions: NewBocacat
If our defense tackle the same way and our pressure on the QB is the same, and we take our foot off the gas, then we will have our hands full. On the other hand if we" play to our potential" (what a great phrase) then we have a chance to win. and if our o-line doesn't get "eaten up by their d-line" (ESPN's comments) then we also have a chance to win. One week to digest the Army game and plan our strategy.
I gotta think that our tackling will be fine. We only tackled in practice a few times this year so my guess is that we weren't up to live action yet. OTOH, we came into the Prudue game healthier than ever so I'll take the health and compromise the tackling and full contact in practice if we can get away with poor tackling and a Bigten win.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Our complete 2 deep CB were out. Trai Williams eventually played the second half (wasn't suppose to play and didn't play the first half). Our starting safety was out, then McGee got tossed out early for a high blow. Then the LB's started blowing their assignements due to the disarray behind them and Danile Jones ran like Fran Tarkenton. Toss in the ungodly humidity and Iv's once again and we pretty much wanted the clock to wind down and just flush the game.

That said, what did you think of Newsome on Thursday? A true freshman looked decent imo.

Newsome is a stud. Early enrollee and year at IMG has significantly advanced his learning curve. Will be a 4 year starter - Matt Harris 2.0!

Duke will be tough. Winning at Purdue is huge...road win in B1G is not to be underestimated.

Duke looks like what Purdue would be with more maturity and better decision making, so they will be a tough out...; Jones was excellent in every way, and they have a very nice group at WR starting with Aaron Young. Lots of big plays and 1st downs from that group.

All of that being said, I think we'll be ready for them this year. Most of our shaky play in the 1st quarter against Purdue can be written off as catching up to the speed of actual gameplay compared to practices, live tackling, etc.

As far as last year went, they halted our offense in every way (lots of incompletions and JJ/Larkin went nowhere) and forced us into a lot of bad plays; our rushing game had no traction whatsoever. We just got handled in every phase, and Jones was great both passing and taking the ball himself.

There shouldn't be any surprises against them this year, and improved offensive line/defensive line play has to be the key.

I seem to recall a majority of our corners being out for that game? Weren’t we forced to play a walk-on? Also didn’t one of our starting db’s Get ejected early on for targeting?

There were no reasonable excuses for NU's performance at Duke last year. The coaching staff had not prepared the team for the game ! It was a dreadful performance

I left the game early but left my Yeungling for Glades.

The performance at Duke ruined the entire season for me. I only came in for my lettermen's weekend and passed on all the other home games

There were no reasonable excuses for NU's performance at Duke last year. The coaching staff had not prepared the team for the game ! It was a dreadful performance

The performance at Duke ruined the entire season for me. I only came in for my lettermen's weekend and passed on all the other home games
It's college football, it happens. Our Duke game last year was identical to Ohio State's Iowa game. Sometimes you get obliterated in all phases by a worse team.

Last year was incredibly rewarding after that, though it may have taken more years off my lifespan than any season in the past 2 decades.

Last edited:
Good team but I like our chances. Home game and we owe them some payback for last season. Our OL and DBs struggled mightily against them last year. Don’t see that happening again.

This is the best Duke team in some time. What they did to a 10 win ARMY team from a year ago was downright impressive.

Good team but I like our chances. Home game and we owe them some payback for last season. Our OL and DBs struggled mightily against them last year. Don’t see that happening again.
Jones killed NU when he got out of the pocket. They need to contain him and force him to make throws

If our defense tackles the same way...
I was also disappointed in our tackling. It was surprisingly bad in the first half. Then we had trouble shedding blocks in the third. Their offense seemed to tire out more than our defense in the fourth. Which I liked.

...our pressure on the QB is the same...
I had no problem with the pass rush. While we only had two sacks, I think all three interceptions were a direct result of qb pressure and I think that Purdue had to change their game plan due solely to our pass rush.

...and we take our foot off the gas...
I did not see us taking our foot off the gas in play calling. We were trying pass plays that were not being completed. The receivers are being covered well man-to-man and the windows are very small for our quarterbacks. This was the most concerning thing to me from this game. Duke's secondary could be stronger than Purdue's so I would expect to see a lot of man-to-man with a crowded line of scrimmage. In a perfect world, we will burn them deep a couple of times in the first quarter and force them to adjust on the fly. I worry whether we have that capability.

Last edited:
Jones killed NU when he got out of the pocket. They need to contain him and force him to make throws

Jones is very good. We’ll see if they have upgraded the supporting cast. I still feel Duke is a notch or two below us in overall talent and depth but they are catching up. Duke is probably the program that I think is most comparable to NU on a national level.

I was also disappointed in our tackling. It was surprisingly bad in the first half. Then we had trouble shedding blocks in the third. Their offense seemed to tire out more than our defense in the fourth. Which I liked.

I had no problem with the pass rush. While we only had two sacks, I think all three interceptions were a direct result of qb pressure and I think that Purdue had to change their game plan due solely to our pass rush.

I did not see us taking our foot off the gas in play calling. We were trying pass plays that were not being completed. The receivers are being covered well man-to-man and the windows are very small for our quarterbacks. This was the most concerning thing to me from this game. Duke's secondary could be stronger than Purdue's so I would expect to see a lot of man-to-man with a crowded line of scrimmage. In a perfect world, we will burn them deep a couple of times in the first quarter and force them to adjust on the fly. I worry whether we have that capability.
Agree that they tried to go for it again in the 2nd half but the QB shuffle seemed to hold them down. Thinking the most important thing next Saturday will be seeing more Thorson and less Green. Contain their running QB and have Thorson control the game like he did in the early 1st quarter on Thursday and NU will get another W.

You missed a good season.

The secondary was decimated by injury for that particular game...that’s a reasonable excuse. The ejection of McGee was devastating. The ineptitude of the D had an effect on the O.

I’m willing to give the Cats a mulligan on that one. Not saying they will be on Saturday, but I expect a much different performance than the one we saw in Durham.

They also had a couple of drive killing penalties due to holds because their OL couldn't handle the pressure.

Our secondary should be better given the ejections/injuries last year. Our OL unit (though many of the same guys) seems worlds better than it was the first few games last year where guys were just coming through the line straight up unblocked with alarming regularity. We have them at home. We have a long week to prepare. We seem healthier than last year. Duke seems pretty good, and it will be a tough win, but to me it seems pretty evenly matched.

Another statement game. Regardless of whether admission standards for their football recruits are not as stringent as NU’s, we fish in the same pond. Two statement games in a row to start the season. Tough sledding.

Plus : After being embarrassed last year, the team should be jacked and ready for this game.
Minus : Don’t expect Duke to make multiple miscues like PU.

I’m looking forward to attending my first game in Evanston for quite some time.

Our OL unit (though many of the same guys) seems worlds better than it was the first few games last year where guys were just coming through the line straight up unblocked with alarming regularity. .
Yeah, last year NU had the LT playing Guard, the current Center playing LT, and a true First Year in his second ever game at RT. All the same guys but now playing in their correct positions with more experience. Throw out the OL performance of early last season due to the stupidity of a failed experiment.

I hope our kids dont have the same attitude as the posters here. A lot of ,we could have won if...(injuries, ejections, bad prep, etc)

Paraphrasing GCG

No

They kicked our asses. Yes we played better after that game, finished strong, improved. But that team, that day, they were substantially better. We got mauled. Beat us in all phases. We have seen that some teams, despite otherwise being comparable, just match up better against us. I will believe we can beat them once we prove it.

I'm glad I stayed to the end of the game to see Alviti play. Went down and had some kind words for his parents after.

I hope our kids dont have the same attitude as the posters here. A lot of ,we could have won if...(injuries, ejections, bad prep, etc)

Paraphrasing GCG

No

They kicked our asses. Yes we played better after that game, finished strong, improved. But that team, that day, they were substantially better. We got mauled. Beat us in all phases. We have seen that some teams, despite otherwise being comparable, just match up better against us. I will believe we can beat them once we prove it.

I'm glad I stayed to the end of the game to see Alviti play. Went down and had some kind words for his parents after.

There’s a difference between saying “we could have won last year” and “some of last year’s weaknesses aren’t present on this year’s team.”

I don't see that; I see reasonable explanations for why we lost. Not that we would have won if any specific thing had changed.

They beat us in every phase of the game last year. Their lines outperformed us on either side of the ball; they shut down our running game; CT had one of the worst performances of his career while Jones looked like Persa in his prime running all over us and finding WRs down the field.

All of that can be true in that one game, while it can also be true that we had the better season last year after making adjustments down the stretch.

If we play the same way we did last year, we'll lose by 3 TDs and deservedly so.

But for a variety of reasons, we should be much better prepared to execute in a way that we didn't last year: we're much healthier, we should have better personnel in the right positions to succeed, etc. Doesn't mean we'll win (it's a tossup between fairly equal opponents), but it should be a close game with opportunities for us to take the W.

Last edited:
I don't see that; I see reasonable explanations for why we lost. Not that we would have won if any specific thing had changed.

They beat us in every phase of the game last year. Their lines outperformed us on either side of the ball; they shut down our running game; CT had one of the worst performances of his career while Jones looked like Persa in his prime running all over us and finding WRs down the field.

All of that can be true in that one game, while it can also be true that we had the better season last year after making adjustments down the stretch.

If we play the same way we did last year, we'll lose by 3 TDs and deservedly so.

But for a variety of reasons, we should be much better prepared to execute in a way that we didn't last year: we're much healthier, we should have better personnel in the rights positions to succeed, etc. Doesn't mean we'll win (it's a tossup between fairly equal opponents), but it should be a close game with opportunities for us to take the W.
I dont agree, in this particular game, with the explanations, as they are mostly NU focused on what we didnt do or lacked , vs what Duke DID do (kick our asses)

I dont agree, in this particular game, with the explanations, as they are mostly NU focused on what we didnt do or lacked , vs what Duke DID do (kick our asses)
I am not ready to call this one a loss and start focusing on Akron just yet. I believe we match up well with a good Duke team. If we play poorly, we lose. If we play well, we can win. If both teams play well, then we have a heck of a game to watch.

This is the best Duke team in some time. What they did to a 10 win ARMY team from a year ago was downright impressive.
Uh, you do know teams change from year to year, correct? Army lost 4 of 5 O-lineman from last year an are changing theit entite offensive scheme because of it. They are predicted to not be anywhere near as good as they were last year, and played a mistake filled game vs. Duke despite being nearly even in yardage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT