ADVERTISEMENT

We're trailblazing again

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
One thing is for sure - we do lead change at NU.

First it was the spread offence,
Then it was the union thing, the objectives of which (more or less) were fulfilled via NIL
Now its the Great Hazing Housecleaning.

Mark my words, program after program will now be coming to terms with athletes who speak out about hazing, and almost all of those programs are scurrying right now to get their houses in order.
The way media works today - combined with this generation's very high awareness/consciousness of emotional wellbeing - means kids will respond to hazing in a very different way than they did in the past. This whole train wreck was bound to happen eventually, and our 'Cats are ahead of the curve as usual.

Consider it a "me too" moment of a different type, as other players in other programs find their voice and speak out.

Soon we'll be able to watch those other programs burning down. Don't be surprised if their stories are much worse.

Then it was the union thing, the objectives of which (more or less) were fulfilled via NIL

Mark my words, program after program will now be coming to terms with athletes who speak out about hazing, and almost all of those programs are scurrying right now to get their houses in order.
The way media works today - combined with this generation's very high awareness/consciousness of emotional wellbeing - means kids will respond to hazing in a very different way than they did in the past. This whole train wreck was bound to happen eventually, and our 'Cats are ahead of the curve as usual.

Consider it a "me too" moment of a different type, as other players in other programs find their voice and speak out.

Soon we'll be able to watch those other programs burning down. Don't be surprised if their stories are much worse.
Whether you think this is needed or cancel culture, this is the best possible outcome for Northwestern at this point

No doubt this thing will spread to other schools.

Reactions: Hkjb

It will spread, but you need a culture that will make the school pay the same price as NU. That won’t happen at most schools since football is more important to them than to NU. It will cost too much to give their own programs the death penalty.

Ben Crump is going to make a whole lot of money off of this.
Point being, is there any other way to get a program like, say, Alabama to suffer a commensurate penalty for equivalent activities? Look, I'm not saying I love this, but Crump needs to spread his wings and fly to other schools with this as well.

Reactions: corbi296
Point being, is there any other way to get a program like, say, Alabama to suffer a commensurate penalty for equivalent activities? Look, I'm not saying I love this, but Crump needs to spread his wings and fly to other schools with this as well.
It's like the crabs pulling the other crabs down into the bucket with them when they try to escape.

Just read that a student journalist from Stanford did some investigating that led to the resignation of the president there.

Student journalists throughout the country are going to be digging for all sorts of stuff at their respective schools - athletic, academic, social. The media is going to have a field day with all the findings.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
For your answer, look at Georgia. They have players dying and the coach faces no pressure. This is about NU, not college football.

For your answer, look at Georgia. They have players dying and the coach faces no pressure. This is about NU, not college football.
Well, that was kind of my point. Clearly, its going to take some outside pressure to have these ramifications applied equally. If that pressure comes in the form of a tort lawyer who is financially incentivized to find kids who were chewed up by a program and never got that NFL payday who are now also financially incentivized, then maybe that's what it will take.

I mean, Greg Sankey should have known what was going on at Georgia as well... Maybe now that that is the standard some pressure will be applied there too.

Well, that was kind of my point. Clearly, its going to take some outside pressure to have these ramifications applied equally. If that pressure comes in the form of a tort lawyer who is financially incentivized to find kids who were chewed up by a program and never got that NFL payday who are now also financially incentivized, then maybe that's what it will take.

I mean, Greg Sankey should have known what was going on at Georgia as well... Maybe now that that is the standard some pressure will be applied there too.
I think if someone primarily knows college football through NU then it may be hard to understand how the rest of the world works. Football is bigger than these universities. It’s too big to fail. The president has no power compared to the coaches. I can see other programs like Colorado, Stanford, and Cal getting caught up in this if similar things happened. Maybe Vandy.

I think if someone primarily knows college football through NU then it may be hard to understand how the rest of the world works. Football is bigger than these universities. It’s too big to fail. The president has no power compared to the coaches. I can see other programs like Colorado, Stanford, and Cal getting caught up in this if similar things happened. Maybe Vandy.
I see your point, though. It’s just that you need an entity to be held accountable. But such a group doesn’t exist.

Oh, you're absolutely right. I have no insight into the college football world. But it does seem abundantly obvious that if any reform is going to happen, its not going to come from within.

As ugly as things are at NU right now, I fully expect any kid at a perennial powerhouse school that snitched on his team would face death threats. I would hope our fan base is above that.

Reactions: GlideCat
I see your point, though. It’s just that you need an entity to be held accountable. But such a group doesn’t exist.
shutterstock-editorial-12169928ba-2___17102805505.jpg

I think most will be caught in it because lawyers like Crump have every incentive to find more plaintiffs and turn this into a social crusade. I do agree that at many schools, particularly SEC schools, this type of incident will be easily dismissed. No chance a coach Like FItz, with strong ties to a University, would have been fired for this had he been coaching at the University of Florida for instance. Heck, I think a very strong argument could be made that what happened at Iowa with Ferentz a few years back was way worse than this and I don’t think Ferentz was even suspended. NU’s response to this incident puts it in the minority when it comes to College football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT