ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Friday night games?

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
I'm almost certain that Maryland had been scheduled as a Friday game, and I thought one other (MSU) had as well.

Are Friday games off the schedule, or is Google just wrong?

I'm almost certain that Maryland had been scheduled as a Friday game, and I thought one other (MSU) had as well.

Are Friday games off the schedule, or is Google just wrong?

Fitz always hated the idea and eventually got the B1G/Delaney to move the games back to Saturday:

Fitzgerald has been strongly opposed to Friday games because they can detract from high school football and disrupt his players' class and practice schedules. Many NU fans also were outspoken in their opposition, citing Friday work schedules, traffic and the inability to have enough time to tailgate.

The league listened, with a Big Ten source saying it heard from university leadership at Northwestern regarding all the "unintended consequences" that accompany Friday night games.

Full article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...iday-night-games-spt-0402-20170401-story.html

Thanks. I totally missed it. Much appreciated.

Did the networks come up with replacement games?

I was dead set against Friday games until someone scheduled a wedding the weekend of the maryland game. So I will miss a game that is 30 miles from my house

I was dead set against Friday games until someone scheduled a wedding the weekend of the maryland game. So I will miss a game that is 30 miles from my house

with modern technology, you can surely find a way to watch the action streaming live on your phone? (just make sure you bring some ear plugs . . . otherwise the people sitting by you might get annoyed that they can hear the sounds of a wedding when they're trying to watch the football game.)

Reactions: NURoseBowl
What in God's name are people thinking, scheduling a wedding on a football Saturday? You've got 52 Saturdays in a year, fully FORTY of which are fine - including the entire spring and summer. Basically 80% of the year's Saturdays are fine, no problem. PICK ONE OF THOSE, FER CHRISSAKES!!! o_O
Anecdotally, some years back I had to miss a game because of a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah. Turned out that was the game where we blew the 38-3 lead against Michigan State. So there's that, I guess. :D

Reactions: Fitz51
with modern technology, you can surely find a way to watch the action streaming live on your phone? (just make sure you bring some ear plugs . . . otherwise the people sitting by you might get annoyed that they can hear the sounds of a wedding when they're trying to watch the football game.)

I think what he is saying is he is missing a chance to personally attend a game so close to his house due to this event.

Reactions: phatcat and Fitz51
What in God's name are people thinking, scheduling a wedding on a football Saturday? You've got 52 Saturdays in a year, fully FORTY of which are fine - including the entire spring and summer. Basically 80% of the year's Saturdays are fine, no problem. PICK ONE OF THOSE, FER CHRISSAKES!!! o_O
Anecdotally, some years back I had to miss a game because of a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah. Turned out that was the game where we blew the 38-3 lead against Michigan State. So there's that, I guess. :D

I highly recommend getting married on a Friday. We got incredible deals from the caterer and the site.

Reactions: rmndcat
Some people have an innate sense of timing. I still want to know how you blow a 38-3 lead.

Reactions: Fitz51
Couldn't have described it better. That was the Pepto Bowl.
There wasn't even a signature moment. (There may not have been a turnover.)

We beat them, 35-3. Then they beat us, a lot to 0.

And my emotion after the game? Shock, disbelief, and HOPE. That was Bacher's first start - and the offense looked legitimately good for stretches! - after a few months of Brewfka, which was the most hopeless display of offensive football since I've been an NU fan.

Fitz always hated the idea and eventually got the B1G/Delaney to move the games back to Saturday:

Fitzgerald has been strongly opposed to Friday games because they can detract from high school football and disrupt his players' class and practice schedules. Many NU fans also were outspoken in their opposition, citing Friday work schedules, traffic and the inability to have enough time to tailgate.

The league listened, with a Big Ten source saying it heard from university leadership at Northwestern regarding all the "unintended consequences" that accompany Friday night games.

Full article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...iday-night-games-spt-0402-20170401-story.html
Seems that it's been noted numerous times on this board and others that NU night games draw larger crowds and have a more electric atmosphere. So what's the problem? Since when do universities really care about disrupting a players classroom schedule? Aren't there a lot of high school football games played on Saturdays? Just move the kickoff back to 8pm and work schedules, traffic tie-ups and tailgating problems solved. if that doesn't work move the kickoff to 10 pm and the game will end on Saturday.

Seems that it's been noted numerous times on this board and others that NU night games draw larger crowds and have a more electric atmosphere. So what's the problem? Since when do universities really care about disrupting a players classroom schedule? Aren't there a lot of high school football games played on Saturdays? Just move the kickoff back to 8pm and work schedules, traffic tie-ups and tailgating problems solved. if that doesn't work move the kickoff to 10 pm and the game will end on Saturday.

It's not just the start time of the game, it's all the logistics that have to happen beforehand. For instance, I'm assuming the team will be flying to Maryland because it's a pretty long trip. They'll most likely fly out late on Wednesday or very early Thursday morning at the absolute latest, meaning you've lost two and maybe three days out of the school week.

And yes, Northwestern really does care about disrupting a player's classroom schedule. Fitz operates the program differently than 99% of programs.

It's not just the start time of the game, it's all the logistics that have to happen beforehand. For instance, I'm assuming the team will be flying to Maryland because it's a pretty long trip. They'll most likely fly out late on Wednesday or very early Thursday morning at the absolute latest, meaning you've lost two and maybe three days out of the school week.

And yes, Northwestern really does care about disrupting a player's classroom schedule. Fitz operates the program differently than 99% of programs.
Don't the basketball players do something like that dozens of time a season?

Of course they do. Which makes it that much more difficult on them academically. Do we want to make it that much more difficult on our football players too?

Moving 20 people along with some jerseys and shorts is also a much simpler operation logistically than moving 150 people with pads and other equipment.

A buddy of mine was a manager of the basketball team when we were in school. The night Coble went nuts and we beat Michigan State in East Lansing, he walked back into the house at about 10:30 on the night of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT