ADVERTISEMENT

WHAT PLAYING OHIO STATE MEANS

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Sure, we are playing for a B1G title, and that's big. But, let's be frank. It's a bonus - even if it's a big fat one, that's all it is. Even if there was no B1G title at stake, this should be a game that means more than anything this season. This is no mere B1G Championship at stake. We are playing Ohio State. Anyone who lived through the years of rape, murder and torture must never forget it.

It's important that everyone, at least on the team, understands what this means. I think there is nothing that captures it better than the following article. Not everyone on today's roster has played against Ohio State in their time here. I hope they read this article to understand what is at stake and what it will take. Of course, we won again in Columbus since 1971, but everything remains 100% relevant to the task at hand this week.

1971: The Wildcats Beat OSU

The following column, describing Northwestern's last win against the Ohio State Buckeyes, was written by The Daily Northwestern staff writer Brian Hamilton and appeared in the October 23, 1998 Gameday edition prior to the '98 OSU game.

Recalling a '71 shocker

THE LEGENDARY WOODY HAYES ROAMED THE BUCKEYES SIDELINE DURING NU'S LAST WIN VS. OSU, AND IT WASN'T BY COINCIDENCE

--by Brian Hamilton: Gameday Staff

Woody Hayes swallowed losses like teaspoons of castor oil. He coached 28 years at Ohio State, about 27 longer than those who dealt with him would've preferred, amassing 205 victories and spewing at least that many expletives at the officials each game. Once, as an opposing player dashed unimpeded toward the end zone, Hayes leapt out from the sideline and tackled him. Ohio State faithful wondered why the player got in coach Hayes' way.

Greg Strunk didn't see who was on his tail, at least not until he got the film. On a November day that would make Robert Frost swoon, Northwestern had just surrendered a touchdown to vaunted Ohio State and Strunk, a Wildcat cornerback, received the ensuing kickoff.

Ever hear 80,000 hosannas suddenly cease? If you're curious, look Greg Strunk up. He's listed in Phoenix, and he's got the original America's Funniest Home Video stashed away. Down a touchdown and a ton of confidence, Strunk cradled the kick and started to his right. He hugged the sideline all the way, for 93 yards, and the only guy close to him was a graying, irascible ball of Buckeye fury named Woody, chugging ever so hard, but failing to record his first career tackle this day.

"I've got the film of it," Strunk says. "Woody Hayes was running down the sidelines after me, throwing his hat. It did get a lot quieter after that."

If there were two things that wouldn't happen under Woody Hayes' watch in Columbus, both of them were losing to NU at home. Hayes might have had his players put their hand on the playbook and swear as much. But for one Saturday in 1971, NU got Woody, a 14-10 win special only because it hasn't happened again since. Which makes keepsakes like Jerry Brown's something of a collector's item. Sitting unobtrusively in his home, still there to this day, is the game ball each and every Ohio-native NU player received after the shocker. Brown is now [1998] NU's co-defensive coordinator, but what he'd get most defensive about in 1971 was the smack his high school buddies laid on thick and heavy during summers back home.

Three of Brown's teammates from Roosevelt High in Kent, Ohio, went to Ohio State. Brown received a polite "Thanks but no thanks" from Hayes and the parting gift of a scholarship to NU. For two years, the Buckeyes got the better of the 'Cats. Brown got the worst of the trash talk.

"Each summer we'd get together and talk, and they had two on me, so I owed them one," Brown says. "They always throw it at me now that they beat me two out of three, but I always say, 'Isn't it the last one that counts?" [ed. note: Notre Dame fans, in particular, should pay attention to that last quote...]

From practices that week in '71, you'd think this was the only one that counted. Countries mobilize for war with less intensity than NU displayed before the Ohio State game. NU was 5-4 heading in, but it might as well have been 5-400, as long as it was Woody Hayes and Ohio State. With 24 players from the Buckeye State on the roster, the term "light practice" meant one in which only smaller bones were broken.

Larry Lilja probably hates Ohio State more than anyone, if only because the assorted nicks from that week haven't healed yet. Lilja, now NU's strength and conditioning coach, was a freshman tight end in 1971. Since freshmen were ineligible to play then by NCAA mandate, Lilja had the envious task of mimicking Ohio State's offense on the scout team. He may have gotten his current job on the merits that he survived the week with four limbs intact.

"I just remember getting the shit beat out of me that week," Lilja says. "Players were just so intense. I remember thinking, 'Geez, I hope they play like this during the game."

Says Strunk: "Kids from Ohio were in the locker room, standing up and giving speeches. The coaches realized the magnitude of the game. They were really grinding on us. They worked real hard, and they made us work real hard."

What Strunk started, fullback Randy Anderson finished with a one-yard dive in the fourth quarter, erasing a 10-7 deficit. While the world's largest funeral procession ensued outside-- the Buckeye's slim Rose Bowl hopes were dashed by the loss-- a virtual Mardi Gras flooded the visitors' locker room at Ohio Stadium, which was sort of like holding a Fourth of July bash at Buckingham Palace.

For all the scarlet and gray in the stands, the prevalent colors on the field were black and blue. "You could hear the hitting," Strunk says.

Although the game soundtrack featured more snaps, crackles and pops than a bowl of Rice Krispies, the visitors' lockers got the worst. Anything that made a loud noise when punched would suffice. Of course, after beating Ohio State on ground more sacred than Jerusalem, it was clearly necessary roughness.

"To be able to do that in front of their fans was a big thrill," says Barry Pearson, the leading receiver for that NU squad, who had three catches on the day. "The guys from Ohio were really going nuts, because they could go home and hold their heads up. I guess it just means so much to get that one, you could just lose all the others as long as you got that one."

Attribution for record keeping of this critical Northwestern lore to: <http://hailtopurple.com/features/history2.html>

Last edited:
Years of rape, murder and torture? It's a football game, not WWI.

You sir, do not have the right perspective and obviously would benefit for some re-education.

There really ought to be a camp for people like you, but at least read the article.

This is the biggest game for our program since the 1996 Rose Bowl. This will be the most watched game for the program under Fitz, and it involves 2 teams with incredibly high stakes for both: for us, the Rose Bowl; for Ohio State, a chance at the playoff.

And our history versus Ohio State plays into this. 1-30 over 46 years, 2-35 over 54 years.

Even Michigan is 1-14 against Ohio State in recent history. We are literally going up against an annual national championship contender loaded with NFL talent. We're going up against a "big game team" that wins nearly all of their biggest games in the Big Ten.

I don't think it's overselling to argue that a win next week would be as important as some of those wins in 1995 (ND or Michigan).

I look to the ND game for reference. Good news: we went toe to toe with a playoff team under the glare of the national spotlight. We didnt melt.

Bad news: we lost

I look to the ND game for reference. Good news: we went toe to toe with a playoff team under the glare of the national spotlight. We didnt melt.

Bad news: we lost

A couple things change the narrative for Indy:

1) We are playing a B1G team. We are 15-1 in our last 16 B1G contests. We were 0-3 against non-conference teams this year
2) We are playing on the road where we have been undefeated this year
3) Elite Thorson will show up. I just know he will.

Reactions: zeek55
This is the biggest game for our program since the 1996 Rose Bowl. This will be the most watched game for the program under Fitz, and it involves 2 teams with incredibly high stakes for both: for us, the Rose Bowl; for Ohio State, a chance at the playoff.

And our history versus Ohio State plays into this. 1-30 over 46 years, 2-35 over 54 years.

Even Michigan is 1-14 against Ohio State in recent history. We are literally going up against an annual national championship contender loaded with NFL talent. We're going up against a "big game team" that wins nearly all of their biggest games in the Big Ten.

I don't think it's overselling to argue that a win next week would be as important as some of those wins in 1995 (ND or Michigan).

We also missed a golden opportunity in 2014 when we hosted the Thugeyes for ESPN Game Day, and had them set up perfectly for a Cardiac Cat finish. We will get it done this time.

We also missed a golden opportunity in 2014 when we hosted the Thugeyes for ESPN Game Day, and had them set up perfectly for a Cardiac Cat finish. We will get it done this time.
Yeah that Gameday matchup with Ohio State was the biggest game under Fitz.

Now this one will take its place. And the stakes are so high this time; two 8-1 Big Ten teams battling for the championship; it doesn't get much bigger than that.

Yeah that Gameday matchup with Ohio State was the biggest game under Fitz.

Now this one will take its place. And the stakes are so high this time; two 8-1 Big Ten teams battling for the championship; it doesn't get much bigger than that.
And the current playbook has to add a few new pages to it. Our receivers must run correct routes with sharp corners and cuts. Our QB must throw ahead of the receiver not behind him. Our OL must protect CT at all costs. And our OL must all become O'Dwyer-like in their work, or Hintonesque in their approach. Our "bend but not break" defense needs to stiffen, and their receiver crossing routes just need better coverage. Our DL has to get at Haskins early. Not much to ask for. And hoping the osu has spent too much in their last 2 games, and also thinks their opposition is "just Northwestern" like TSISB did to start the '95 season.

Reactions: zeek55
The other factor that makes this such an important game:

We don't have a signature win against Ohio State in a great season in the modern era.

For every other important team, we do:

Iowa: 1995, 1996, 2017, 2018 [and plenty of other signature wins like 2009]

Wisconsin: 1995, 1996, 2000, 2015, 2018

Michigan: 1995, 1996, 2000

Notre Dame: 1995

Penn State: 1995, 2015

Michigan State: 2000, 2012, 2017, 2018

Of course, we didn't play Ohio State in 1995, 1996, 2000, 2012, 2015, 2017; (hard to get signature wins when you don't play somebody in your good seasons). This is the chance to make up for that and add them to this list.

As important as the 2004 win against Ohio State was (most important win I've attended personally), a win this week would be a magnitude greater.

Last edited:
Sure, we are playing for a B1G title, and that's big. But, let's be frank. It's a bonus - even if it's a big fat one, that's all it is. Even if there was no B1G title at stake, this should be a game that means more than anything this season. This is no mere B1G Championship at stake. We are playing Ohio State. Anyone who lived through the years of rape, murder and torture must never forget it.

It's important that everyone, at least on the team, understands what this means. I think there is nothing that captures it better than the following article. Not everyone on today's roster has played against Ohio State in their time here. I hope they read this article to understand what is at stake and what it will take. Of course, we won again in Columbus since 1971, but everything remains 100% relevant to the task at hand this week.

1971: The Wildcats Beat OSU

The following column, describing Northwestern's last win against the Ohio State Buckeyes, was written by The Daily Northwestern staff writer Brian Hamilton and appeared in the October 23, 1998 Gameday edition prior to the '98 OSU game.

Recalling a '71 shocker

THE LEGENDARY WOODY HAYES ROAMED THE BUCKEYES SIDELINE DURING NU'S LAST WIN VS. OSU, AND IT WASN'T BY COINCIDENCE

--by Brian Hamilton: Gameday Staff

Woody Hayes swallowed losses like teaspoons of castor oil. He coached 28 years at Ohio State, about 27 longer than those who dealt with him would've preferred, amassing 205 victories and spewing at least that many expletives at the officials each game. Once, as an opposing player dashed unimpeded toward the end zone, Hayes leapt out from the sideline and tackled him. Ohio State faithful wondered why the player got in coach Hayes' way.

Greg Strunk didn't see who was on his tail, at least not until he got the film. On a November day that would make Robert Frost swoon, Northwestern had just surrendered a touchdown to vaunted Ohio State and Strunk, a Wildcat cornerback, received the ensuing kickoff.

Ever hear 80,000 hosannas suddenly cease? If you're curious, look Greg Strunk up. He's listed in Phoenix, and he's got the original America's Funniest Home Video stashed away. Down a touchdown and a ton of confidence, Strunk cradled the kick and started to his right. He hugged the sideline all the way, for 93 yards, and the only guy close to him was a graying, irascible ball of Buckeye fury named Woody, chugging ever so hard, but failing to record his first career tackle this day.

"I've got the film of it," Strunk says. "Woody Hayes was running down the sidelines after me, throwing his hat. It did get a lot quieter after that."

If there were two things that wouldn't happen under Woody Hayes' watch in Columbus, both of them were losing to NU at home. Hayes might have had his players put their hand on the playbook and swear as much. But for one Saturday in 1971, NU got Woody, a 14-10 win special only because it hasn't happened again since. Which makes keepsakes like Jerry Brown's something of a collector's item. Sitting unobtrusively in his home, still there to this day, is the game ball each and every Ohio-native NU player received after the shocker. Brown is now [1998] NU's co-defensive coordinator, but what he'd get most defensive about in 1971 was the smack his high school buddies laid on thick and heavy during summers back home.

Three of Brown's teammates from Roosevelt High in Kent, Ohio, went to Ohio State. Brown received a polite "Thanks but no thanks" from Hayes and the parting gift of a scholarship to NU. For two years, the Buckeyes got the better of the 'Cats. Brown got the worst of the trash talk.

"Each summer we'd get together and talk, and they had two on me, so I owed them one," Brown says. "They always throw it at me now that they beat me two out of three, but I always say, 'Isn't it the last one that counts?" [ed. note: Notre Dame fans, in particular, should pay attention to that last quote...]

From practices that week in '71, you'd think this was the only one that counted. Countries mobilize for war with less intensity than NU displayed before the Ohio State game. NU was 5-4 heading in, but it might as well have been 5-400, as long as it was Woody Hayes and Ohio State. With 24 players from the Buckeye State on the roster, the term "light practice" meant one in which only smaller bones were broken.

Larry Lilja probably hates Ohio State more than anyone, if only because the assorted nicks from that week haven't healed yet. Lilja, now NU's strength and conditioning coach, was a freshman tight end in 1971. Since freshmen were ineligible to play then by NCAA mandate, Lilja had the envious task of mimicking Ohio State's offense on the scout team. He may have gotten his current job on the merits that he survived the week with four limbs intact.

"I just remember getting the shit beat out of me that week," Lilja says. "Players were just so intense. I remember thinking, 'Geez, I hope they play like this during the game."

Says Strunk: "Kids from Ohio were in the locker room, standing up and giving speeches. The coaches realized the magnitude of the game. They were really grinding on us. They worked real hard, and they made us work real hard."

What Strunk started, fullback Randy Anderson finished with a one-yard dive in the fourth quarter, erasing a 10-7 deficit. While the world's largest funeral procession ensued outside-- the Buckeye's slim Rose Bowl hopes were dashed by the loss-- a virtual Mardi Gras flooded the visitors' locker room at Ohio Stadium, which was sort of like holding a Fourth of July bash at Buckingham Palace.

For all the scarlet and gray in the stands, the prevalent colors on the field were black and blue. "You could hear the hitting," Strunk says.

Although the game soundtrack featured more snaps, crackles and pops than a bowl of Rice Krispies, the visitors' lockers got the worst. Anything that made a loud noise when punched would suffice. Of course, after beating Ohio State on ground more sacred than Jerusalem, it was clearly necessary roughness.

"To be able to do that in front of their fans was a big thrill," says Barry Pearson, the leading receiver for that NU squad, who had three catches on the day. "The guys from Ohio were really going nuts, because they could go home and hold their heads up. I guess it just means so much to get that one, you could just lose all the others as long as you got that one."

Attribution for record keeping of this critical Northwestern lore to: <http://hailtopurple.com/features/history2.html>
Unfortunately, OSU in the Mich game looked like a completed Deathstar positioned over the NU rebel planet. Plus they need a statement game and need to make an example of us to get to the CFPs. CT better be Luke Skywalker

Unfortunately, OSU in the Mich game looked like a completed Deathstar positioned over the NU rebel planet. Plus they need a statement game and need to make an example of us to get to the CFPs. CT better be Luke Skywalker

Yeah, but we have a Hulk.

ct-spt-northwestern-isaiah-bowser-signing-day-20180205

...bulls-eyeing streaking NU receivers instead of Womp rats.

It's that time of year to bump this up, as a reminder. IMHO, the original article in the OP is something every new NU player should read.

#HATEOHIOSTATE

Last edited:
Kind of amazing to be back in this position again so soon, and yes it's Ohio State standing in the way.

Only if we win. Otherwise it is at the same level as two years ago. If we lose it is just another loss to dOSU albeit in a BIG Championship game. And if we were to win, sort of double edged sword as while great for NU, it also likely means that BIG not represented in CFP. Don't get me wrong, I want to win. Just saying that there are pluses and minuses either way

Only if we win. Otherwise it is at the same level as two years ago. If we lose it is just another loss to dOSU albeit in a BIG Championship game. And if we were to win, sort of double edged sword as while great for NU, it also likely means that BIG not represented in CFP. Don't get me wrong, I want to win. Just saying that there are pluses and minuses either way
No. Are you crazy? There are no minuses for beating dOSU. Zero. Zilch.

Right. if WE here on this message board were getting the CFP money, that would be one thing, but it's just the school we root for getting it. Although I'm sure that money helps make NU a better football team, it's not even close to enough to overcome how much it would help NU to just beat OSU and win the Big Ten.

Yep, I feel the same way now as I did 2 years ago.

Until you win the Big Ten championship outright, it just isn't on the level as 1995 when that game didn't exist.

We haven't had a win of that kind of magnitude yet, but we've been knocking on the door. Ohio State is just a different animal.

The 20 point line isn't even really a sign of disrespect; just a sign of how different Ohio State is from the rest of the Big Ten. Their talent is basically that of a top SEC team, just happens to be in the Big Ten.

If by doing so, BIG not represented in CFP, it would likely mean less revenue to BIG. For us the upside is probably much bigger than the downside but for others in the conference...

Only if we win

Who gives Wildcat's meow about the CFP if we win? That's a tiny minus relative to the massive plus of winning this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatVideos and DaCat
If by doing so, BIG not represented in CFP, it would likely mean less revenue to BIG. For us the upside is probably much bigger than the downside but for others in the conference...
Who gives a meow? It's not even a consideration, the "downside" to beating dOSU for the B1G CHAMPIONSHIP may bring less revenues to the B1G ... damn, that's as dumb a statement as I've ever seen by an NU fan. Mind boggling.

A win against Ohio State means arguably the biggest win in decades; comparable to the 1995 biggest wins. And all the attention/hoopla that comes with knocking off a playoff team right before the playoff.

Also means an NY6 bowl that while not as big as the 1995 Rose Bowl would at least be "near" in terms of quality of opponent and quality of the stage. Might even get a rematch with USC or something of that nature in an NY6 bowl.

That'd be huge for the program. Everyone else losing $500k in the conference is nothing compared to what it'd mean for us.

Reactions: DaCat
There are limited minuses FOR US and I am definitely willing to accept them as the pluses definitely outweigh them. But there are some (limited as they may seem)

There are limited minuses FOR US and I am definitely willing to accept them as the pluses definitely outweigh them. But there are some (limited as they may seem)

Don't see any minus for us. What losing a CFP payout?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT