ADVERTISEMENT

What the f*ck is this?

I've seen a few of these over the years. Poop the bed once expectations show up. Just epically bad today. Outclassed and outcoached too.

CCC. Classic Chris Collins game. Same old shit, different year. Hope this doesn't start the annual 10+ game losing streak.

• Sad
Reactions: NUCat320
Wednesday night is make or break for this season we have to beat the Illini at home or this show is over.

We’ll see what happens in the next two weeks. That OSU team has the makings of a Final Four team. Good upperclassmen, freshmen who are earning more playing time, a guy that can shoot 3s. This was a rough one but I’m holding out hope we’re better than we showed tonight.

What changes regarding coaching should have been done for this game?

I would have played Roper more for Ty and put him on the OSUpoi t guard for more size.

When MN picked up his 3rd foul, I would have went with Beran, Roper, Chase. Brooks and Ty and full court pressed for a few minutes to change the tempo.

Reactions: hoosboot
What changes regarding coaching should have been done for this game?

I would have played Roper more for Ty and put him on the OSUpoi t guard for more size.

When MN picked up his 3rd foul, I would have went with Beran, Roper, Chase. Brooks and Ty and full court pressed for a few minutes to change the tempo.
The issue wasn't defense. When you can't make a bucket, even a free throw, it's damn near impossible to compete.

Buie was terrible and we need him to be excellent. It's all or nothing with him and Audige.

Reactions: Dugan15
Up the tempo maybe you get some easy baskets. But it's something to try.

Rather than just say everything is bad. Trying to learn something, maybe someone has a good idea

Up the tempo maybe you get some easy baskets. But it's something to try.

Rather than just say everything is bad. Trying to learn something, maybe someone has a good idea
The team can't get the kind of production it got out of the center and power forward positions. Nicholson's 0-fer from the field and the FT line are killers, but Verhoeven's 0-fer on the boards and Beran's disappearing act don't bode well when Boo and Chase are inefficient.

The bright spot was Barnhizer, who hit the boards and made a few shots. He's got to be developed quickly and see if the team can win going small. The shocking thing is that the Cats took 11 more shots than the Buckeyes, so I'm not sure that up tempo would have helped a ton. I get the idea of getting some easy baskets in transition, but I'm not sure that the Cats score all that well in transition. I actually think that the Cats may need to really grind the game to a much slower pace and limit possessions, but then I found this dated blog post suggesting that analysis is not supported by the data.

Could the Cats survive with a lineup of Buie, Berry, Audige, Barnhizer, and Beran? Or...gasp...Buie, Berry, Audige, Roper, and Barnhizer?

I thought the best news was Roper hitting threes, and the guys laying off the over helping that OSU exploited so much in the first 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: ricko654321
This team is very offensively challenged. It’s not as bad as the 18 first half points. It’s not as good as the 40 second half points. Those 40 happen against a team trying to just control the game.

I don’t buy the never ending “those were open shots” of CC in pressers. There were some of those, but I’m tired of hearing how it’s just we can’t make shots.

Audige and Buie are going to be guarded with little help. It’s obvious. We will struggle. But we got some fight in us. MN did not hit a single shot but he will, he was still a beast on the offensive glass, he still intimidated plenty. Beran is going to be Beran, if he gets looks he’ll make some. Otherwise he will disappear on offense, not even worth trying to get something going to the basket just to end up attacking the defender horizontally instead of vertically. It’s just hoping something happens and the defender has the maturity of a 14 year old and drops his arms. Still Beran bothers people on the other hand, and without him and Nicholson I can’t imagine this team not being massacred on the boards.

Barnhizer is tough as nails even if he's shooting from more than mid range is atrocious. Berry is feisty and fights. Roper the same with less of a shot. And all this guys will get better as the season goes.

The only one I did not mention is Vehoeven. He's just not good. After five years he's not going to get better. I don't even know how much he played but he should be allowing MN to take a breath and go in if there's foul trouble. He's useless otherwise.

I thought we would win 5 games before the season started. I now think we will win 7. We will struggle but we will grind out some W's. We just are not, and never were, despite all the recent hype, a tourney contender. It's good enough for me, leaving the being embarrassing to Minnesota.

The team can't get the kind of production it got out of the center and power forward positions. Nicholson's 0-fer from the field and the FT line are killers, but Verhoeven's 0-fer on the boards and Beran's disappearing act don't bode well when Boo and Chase are inefficient.
Looking at Torvik’s data, Nicholson is now 10 for 39 on non-dunks. That’s quite bad for someone who doesn’t shoot from beyond 4 feet.

Team was 10 for 38 from 2 tonight. Oof.

That is atrocious is what that is. He has great effort but ZERO touch and that is a big issue for this team but he is all we got so ride that horse.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Barnhizer is tough as nails even if he's shooting from more than mid range is atrocious.
Wasn’t Barnhizer supposed to be a good 3pt shooter when he was recruited? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I was going to post something here at halftime but didn't want to eat crow after another heartbreaking comeback loss. Glad it didn't happen!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
16 points through the first 24 minutes? Is this Mike Bajakian’s fault too?
Lame attempt to try to serve us up a dish of epicaricacy only to have it thrown right back into your face!!! Too funny!!! But NU fans along with Purdue fans have come to expect nothing less from Vassar!

Last edited:
We’ll see what happens in the next two weeks. That OSU team has the makings of a Final Four team. Good upperclassmen, freshmen who are earning more playing time, a guy that can shoot 3s. This was a rough one but I’m holding out hope we’re better than we showed tonight.
OSU is top O in conference and better than people give them credit for. But we were also playing the officials and they were brutal

The issue wasn't defense. When you can't make a bucket, even a free throw, it's damn near impossible to compete.
D has been pretty solid all year. Top one or two D in conference. Only Rutgers is competition for that title

Buie was terrible and we need him to be excellent. It's all or nothing with him and Audige.
Audige is more consistent. Buie tends to shoot wild off balance shots on his drives and other low percentage shots (such as deeps threes from 4 steps behind the line) depending on his athleticism too much. But he is able to generate his own shot which most on the team are unable to do. End of shot clock, OK but early,should be better options

Reactions: drewjin
Lame attempt to try to serve us up a dish of epicaricacy only to have it thrown right back into your face!!! Too funny!!! But NU fans along with Purdue fans have come to expect nothing less from Vasser!
Vasser?

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT