ADVERTISEMENT

What's the news?

It was nice. They ran a scrimmage for what seemed like thirty minutes, then broke into small groups and ran various shooting drills.

Then there was some speechifying and introductions of the team by year, and then they turned us loose on the facility.

The hot dogs and soda are the same as they ever were at WR, but everything else seems pretty and shiny. I hadn’t thought about the difference a new PA system might make, but it was noticeable.

I liked the hustle and enthusiasm I saw in the scrimmage. Taylor has a pretty shot. We have a lot of height. The offensive sets look like they need lots and lots of work. Young is very friendly and a pleasant kid, and while he didn’t come off the floor much in his shots, he was reasonably accurate with jumpers.

I dunno, lots to process and they’re turning out the lights.

Reactions: LansingCat
It was nice. They ran a scrimmage for what seemed like thirty minutes, then broke into small groups and ran various shooting drills.

Then there was some speechifying and introductions of the team by year, and then they turned us loose on the facility.

The hot dogs and soda are the same as they ever were at WR, but everything else seems pretty and shiny. I hadn’t thought about the difference a new PA system might make, but it was noticeable.

I liked the hustle and enthusiasm I saw in the scrimmage. Taylor has a pretty shot. We have a lot of height. The offensive sets look like they need lots and lots of work. Young is very friendly and a pleasant kid, and while he didn’t come off the floor much in his shots, he was reasonably accurate with jumpers.

I dunno, lots to process and they’re turning out the lights.
The let actual fans in the building?

Reactions: EagerFan
The let actual fans in the building?

Yes! And I got to tour (probably the only time I step into) the Wilson Club. It's sort of nice. ; )

The locker room's absolutely phenomenal. Definitely the only time I could set foot in there.

Talked for a while with Pete Nance. He's a well-spoken guy, as are all the NU student athletes I've met. And an example of our current team members being the best part of our recruiting process.

Yes! And I got to tour (probably the only time I step into) the Wilson Club. It's sort of nice. ; )

The locker room's absolutely phenomenal. Definitely the only time I could set foot in there.

Talked for a while with Pete Nance. He's a well-spoken guy, as are all the NU student athletes I've met. And an example of our current team members being the best part of our recruiting process.

I was with Uber tonight. And still had a great time.

1. The new WR is one of a kind. An ideal environment for a great fan experience and home court advantage. Both Kopp and Nance said it was a definite factor in their decision to play for Collins. Both were great fun to talk with. Very impressive. Kopp is a pure shooter. Nance is not 6-11. Probably not a full 6-10 either. But he has a complete skill set and like Law a sick wing span.

2. Hard to take much away from a brief intrasquad scrimmage. My impression is the team will again struggle against a good half court defense. Thus the early Collins emphasis on defense, rebounding and maximizing transition opportunities.

3. Hoping the search for an effective offensive identity doesn’t last long.

GOUNUII

Any indication whether the people in the purple seats will show up?

I think the "build it" thing is real....but I'd point to the community....northshore and its collar communities....part of what they built is the roster...exciting, compelling players....and then the arena....it's a nice basketball experience.

I had lower level Bulls tickets for years and only went to a couple games....too much of a schlep....the location of the DePaul arena, I think is bonkers. WRA is soooo easy....so nice (except for the polish....and how 'bout onions Dr. Philips)

I think it's feasible to pull in the community for the Nov - Dec games and then pack it for conference.

The Wilson Club will be an interesting experiment. It's really nice -- so nice that I'm afraid club members might just hang out in the club for much of the game instead of filling their seats. Also, for better or worse, I think they've somehow made it impossible to re-sell those tickets on the secondary market (i.e. I don't see any of those tickets on StubHub for any game). On the one hand, that might mean fewer opposing fans in those seats (except guests of club members, hand-outs to clients, etc.) On the other hand, that might mean more unused seats in that section, especially for the non-conference games. One other weird thing, at least for the McKendree game, is that they put a single row of removable cushy VIP chairs directly in front of the band and the students. That would seem to definitely cut down on the manic vibe of students haranguing opposing free throw shooters, like in the old W-R.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
The Wilson Club will be an interesting experiment. It's really nice -- so nice that I'm afraid club members might just hang out in the club for much of the game instead of filling their seats. Also, for better or worse, I think they've somehow made it impossible to re-sell those tickets on the secondary market (i.e. I don't see any of those tickets on StubHub for any game). On the one hand, that might mean fewer opposing fans in those seats (except guests of club members, hand-outs to clients, etc.) On the other hand, that might mean more unused seats in that section, especially for the non-conference games. One other weird thing, at least for the McKendree game, is that they put a single row of removable cushy VIP chairs directly in front of the band and the students. That would seem to definitely cut down on the manic vibe of students haranguing opposing free throw shooters, like in the old W-R.
Cutting off the students and the band with folding chairs is just stupid. Gee, maybe they are thinking that they didn't build enough seats. Who knew? Just got a e-mail from a friend who noted that her "seats" on a upper level are card table-like folding chairs. Really?

Cutting off the students and the band with folding chairs is just stupid. Gee, maybe they are thinking that they didn't build enough seats. Who knew? Just got a e-mail from a friend who noted that her "seats" on a upper level are card table-like folding chairs. Really?
This is stupid. The first chairs referred to are courtside seats, which are now on the baselines as well as the sideline.

The other seats are not folding chairs. They are tall chairs to suit drink rails at the perimeter. Those are good seats in an excellent location.

This is stupid. The first chairs referred to are courtside seats, which are now on the baselines as well as the sideline.

The other seats are not folding chairs. They are tall chairs to suit drink rails at the perimeter. Those are good seats in an excellent location.
There are folding chairs, but they are in the ADA-compliant sections.

The courtside seat holders sitting directly in front of the full marching band at the McKendree game didn't look too pleased. I wonder if their donation comes with complimentary ear plugs.

The courtside seat holders sitting directly in front of the full marching band at the McKendree game didn't look too pleased. I wonder if their donation comes with complimentary ear plugs.
LOL.

The good news is, the marching band won't be there again.

But the spirit band or whatever they're called will. Those people chose their seats knowing the band would be behind them, just like the people bought houses around Ryan Field knowing that football games happen on fall Saturdays.......

That's not what my friend said, plus she a non drinker.

I noticed those seats too. I guess if demand for courtside seats was high enough to necessitate putting seats in front of the student sections then they did what they had to do. Still, considering all the talk of wanting WRA to provide a real home court advantage, pushing the students and band away from the court is a bad look.

The seats in the balcony, where I am, are plastic and do not have padding, arm rests, or a drink holder. That is disappointing. They do still offer more comfort than the old wooden bleachers and a great view of the court.

That's not what my friend said, plus she a non drinker.
Booze is only available in the Wilson Club at the moment - yet it is a drink rail. The seats are comfortable - sat there for a few minutes pregame - and it's a great view.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT