ADVERTISEMENT

When do we find out about our new OL coach?

Probably won't hear anything until at least after the annual coaches' convention, which runs Sunday 1/6 through Wednesday 1/9; HCs with full-time openings often use this as a time to "rapid fire" interview a large number of candidates in the same location.

My best guess is that Fitz will hold a series of first round interviews with candidates at the convention, then perhaps bring in a handful of finalists for interviews in Evanston on Thursday and Friday that week. Would ideally like to have the replacement named before recruiting opens back up on Friday 1/11.

Reactions: GOUNUII
Probably won't hear anything until at least after the annual coaches' convention, which runs Sunday 1/6 through Wednesday 1/9; HCs with full-time openings often use this as a time to "rapid fire" interview a large number of candidates in the same location.

My best guess is that Fitz will hold a series of first round interviews with candidates at the convention, then perhaps bring in a handful of finalists for interviews in Evanston on Thursday and Friday that week. Would ideally like to have the replacement named before recruiting opens back up on Friday 1/11.

I hope Fitz picks another gem like he did with Hankwitz. I'm really stunned that Kurt Anderson wasn't a done deal. Why did he even come to NU then?

I hope Fitz picks another gem like he did with Hankwitz. I'm really stunned that Kurt Anderson wasn't a done deal. Why did he even come to NU then?

Stopover gig when Bielema got canned.

P5 OL spots don't come open terribly often and most guys would prefer to stay at the P5 level in some capacity rather than dropping down to FCS or lower. NU is close to home, family ties, etc.

Stopover gig when Bielema got canned.

Not too many full-time gigs open that time of year and most guys would prefer to stay at the P5 level in some capacity rather than dropping down to FCS or lower. NU is close to home, family ties, etc.
And he certainly still has a shot, right? Maybe even an inside track but this is a rare opportunity for NU and Fitz. The only real pressure is the recruiting date that you mention.
Is it possible that one of the factors would be specific recruits that a coach that a coach could land for us?

I'd still put money on Anderson getting the job. As you know, any job openings these days have to be posted and there needs to be an open transparent process that at least creates the perception that the position is open to all comers. The reality is that insiders most often have the inside track and basically the job locked up before a process even begins. I believe that to be the case with Anderson. Fitz is going through the process and also using this as an opportunity to build up his rolodex of candidates for future job openings.

It's a rare sweet spot to get a guy like Hank who is a brilliant coordinator but seemed to have little aspiration to become a head coach, which means we can keep him for a long time. If he was 50, enjoyed recruiting and wanted to be a head coach, I would think he would have been hired away a long time ago. It's incredible that we've been so well coached and relatively successful in recent years and still able to keep most of our staff.

Why is 1/11 that big of a deal if our OL recruiting is set for 2019 class? Would a week or two make a big difference for 2020?

I hear there is a guy named Colby that knows what it takes to get a defense to give up a lot of points

I'd still put money on Anderson getting the job. As you know, any job openings these days have to be posted and there needs to be an open transparent process that at least creates the perception that the position is open to all comers. The reality is that insiders most often have the inside track and basically the job locked up before a process even begins. I believe that to be the case with Anderson. Fitz is going through the process and also using this as an opportunity to build up his rolodex of candidates for future job openings.

As a private institution, NU isn't subject to the same posting requirements as many state schools. In any event, the job has been posted since 12/21: https://careers.northwestern.edu/ps...OCUS=Employee&JobOpeningId=35196&PostingSeq=1

I think the likelihood of Anderson getting the job gets slimmer with the passage of time. I think it would have been announced at the same time as Cushing's departure if he were the guy.

And he certainly still has a shot, right? Maybe even an inside track but this is a rare opportunity for NU and Fitz. The only real pressure is the recruiting date that you mention.
Is it possible that one of the factors would be specific recruits that a coach that a coach could land for us?

A shot, sure. But I think he would have been named right away if it were truly his spot to lose.

Why is 1/11 that big of a deal if our OL recruiting is set for 2019 class? Would a week or two make a big difference for 2020?

More about the 2020 class than 2019.

All position coaches have a geographical area to cover in addition to their positions. You want to have a guy on board who can start making and/or re-establishing connections within that geographical area whether or not there are openings in his position group.

I think you're probably right. But, there are also a few other insiders that Fitz knows pretty well out there that put their hats into the ring as well. I just hope we get someone who can finally recruit and develop NFL caliber OL at NU again and give Hunter the protection he will need to take us all the way.

I think you're probably right. But, there are also a few other insiders that Fitz knows pretty well out there that put their hats into the ring as well. I just hope we get someone who can finally recruit and develop NFL caliber OL at NU again and give Hunter the protection he will need to take us all the way.

I think Anderson is more experienced and qualified than any of the NU alums that have also been mentioned. The only question is has he meshed with Fitz, the staff and the players during this past year he has spent with NU. Understanding the NU/Fitz culture and being able to fit into it as well as to identify/target players that will thrive in it is very important to the continued success of the program.

I think Anderson is more experienced and qualified than any of the NU alums that have also been mentioned. The only question is has he meshed with Fitz, the staff and the players during this past year he has spent with NU. Understanding the NU/Fitz culture and being able to fit into it as well as to identify/target players that will thrive in it is very important to the continued success of the program.

Well, if we get someone who is more qualified than Anderson, I think I'll be happy.

He only wants to do this once. While Anderson looks like a solid candidate, shouldn't he take the opportunity to get to know other people to make sure he is getting the best or for future openings?

Joe Tripodi has a bunch of experience at NIU, including 15 all-conference players and 3 all-Americans.

And if you want a guy who understands that "NU/Fitz" culture... Fitz gave him the first Randy Walker award in 2006 for "given for work ethic, toughness and warrior attitude."

Austin King has been mentioned a bunch on these boards, but Tripodi is probably a stronger candidate.

Joe Tripodi has a bunch of experience at NIU, including 15 all-conference players and 3 all-Americans.

And if you want a guy who understands that "NU/Fitz" culture... Fitz gave him the first Randy Walker award in 2006 for "given for work ethic, toughness and warrior attitude."

Austin King has been mentioned a bunch on these boards, but Tripodi is probably a stronger candidate.

3 All Americans at NIU? For real? Anderson only had one. Imagine what he could do with NU's resources. Sign him up...

Reactions: scru
Just let it be someone who can raise the recruiting level for NU. Much more important here than xs and os.

3 All Americans at NIU? For real? Anderson only had one. Imagine what he could do with NU's resources. Sign him up...

I mean... it's a bit of a technicality as one was Freshman All-American... but still. This is from his NIU bio (FULL LINK HERE):

In his six seasons working with the Huskie offensive line (four as assistant coach and two as graduate assistant), 15 of his players have earned All Mid-American Conference honors, including three in 2015. He has coached three All-Americans - Trevor Olson and Scott Wedige earned the recognition in 2011, while 2016 All-MAC tackle Max Scharping was a 2015 Freshman All-American.
EDIT: For what it's worth, Scharping is currently a redshirt senior and probably a mid-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

Reactions: nu greek

I agree that Tripodi has the next best resume of those mentioned and also agree there is more certainty that he would fit in culturally. That being said, Tripodi does not have Anderson's resume. From his accomplishments as an OL as a player, to his NFL experience, to his SEC OL coaching experience to developing an NFL first round pick while at Arkansas. On paper Anderson is better than any of the names that have been mentioned.

Just let it be someone who can raise the recruiting level for NU. Much more important here than xs and os.

Couldn't disagree more. The ability to coach the position and develop players is far more important with this hire that anything else. If we have a coach who develops a reputation for developing OL talent, the recruits will flock to him. If we have a great recruiter who eventually shows he can't develop the recruits, the well will eventually run dry.

I mean... it's a bit of a technicality as one was Freshman All-American... but still. This is from his NIU bio (FULL LINK HERE):

In his six seasons working with the Huskie offensive line (four as assistant coach and two as graduate assistant), 15 of his players have earned All Mid-American Conference honors, including three in 2015. He has coached three All-Americans - Trevor Olson and Scott Wedige earned the recognition in 2011, while 2016 All-MAC tackle Max Scharping was a 2015 Freshman All-American.
EDIT: For what it's worth, Scharping is currently a redshirt senior and probably a mid-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

How many has he sent to the League?

Cushing coached a freshman All American too -- Rashawn Slater. Just saying.

As a private institution, NU isn't subject to the same posting requirements as many state schools. In any event, the job has been posted since 12/21: https://careers.northwestern.edu/ps...OCUS=Employee&JobOpeningId=35196&PostingSeq=1

I think the likelihood of Anderson getting the job gets slimmer with the passage of time. I think it would have been announced at the same time as Cushing's departure if he were the guy.

I’d say the passage of time simply scraps the idea that Cushing’s departure was seen internally in advance and that’s specifically why Anderson was brought on last year.

I’m glad they’re taking their time with this. Tripodi, King (endorsed by Strief) should get interviews. Maybe there are other contenders that haven’t been reported. And who knows? Maybe Anderson is actually enjoying his analyst role?

I’d say the passage of time simply scraps the idea that Cushing’s departure was seen internally in advance and that’s specifically why Anderson was brought on last year.

I’m glad they’re taking their time with this. Tripodi, King (endorsed by Strief) should get interviews. Maybe there are other contenders that haven’t been reported. And who knows? Maybe Anderson is actually enjoying his analyst role?

It's already been reported that Cushing's departure was a surprise to Fitz/NU. Anderson coming on as a "replacement coach" was never a thing.

It's already been reported that Cushing's departure was a surprise to Fitz/NU. Anderson coming on as a "replacement coach" was never a thing.

What else do you expect him to say? Sure, the EIU opportunity was not predetermined but I am of the opinion that one way or another this was going to be Cushing's last year on staff unless there was a material improvement in the performance of the OL. No way to prove it but I think Anderson's hiring and comments Fitz made early in the year specific to the poor performance of the OL were indicative of a growing dissatisfaction and impatience with Cushing's performance. These are common steps that managers take to proactively deal with an underperformer before it gets to the point of actually having to dismiss someone. I think Cushing sensed the pressure and decided to parachute out while he could. A smart move by all parties that hopefully works out well for all involved.

What else do you expect him to say? Sure, the EIU opportunity was not predetermined but I am of the opinion that one way or another this was going to be Cushing's last year on staff unless there was a material improvement in the performance of the OL. No way to prove it but I think Anderson's hiring and comments Fitz made early in the year specific to the poor performance of the OL were indicative of a growing dissatisfaction and impatience with Cushing's performance. These are common steps that managers take to proactively deal with an underperformer before it gets to the point of actually having to dismiss someone. I think Cushing sensed the pressure and decided to parachute out while he could. A smart move by all parties that hopefully works out well for all involved.
We will never prove that but it has a true ring to me especially in a situation that is so intimately relational, I think this happens even when it is not a set design. You don't always have cut a guy's throat to move him along. It can be a little passive/ aggressive but also a kinder gentler way.

You can have that opinion all you want. Flies directly in the face of what Fitz said in on-the-record interviews.

You can have that opinion all you want. Flies directly in the face of what Fitz said in on-the-record interviews.

That’s true but if you think that precludes that the reality was something other than that then you are being disingenuous. What Fitz said in those interviews is the only thing he could possibly say publicly.

Reactions: NJCat
I believe that Fitz has some selling points that few other coaches / programs can offer. The biggest selling point is job stability. Fitz bleeds purple and will be at NU for a long time and so staff doesn't have to worry about significant turn over with head coaching changes. Fitz also is loyal to a fault and very rarely fires assistant coaches. In a world of coaching with significant turnover, NU is one place where coaches can be assured significant stability. With our new facilities and the support of Morty and Jim Phillips, it's a tremendous opportunity for any coach and I have no doubt Fitz will be able to sell it as such.

I hope that he does his due diligence and hires the best coach to develop our offensive line which in my opinion has been the achilles heal of the program.

Please oh please, let this opportunity result in an improvement at the position group. There are some great kids on the roster today and more coming in who could really pave the way (intended) for a fun next 3 years of program development!

Uh... no.

Cushing's strength supposedly was recruiting.

Let's get a coach who is going to develop our OL into NFL prospects and teach them how to protect the QB. Thanks.

I believe that Fitz has some selling points that few other coaches / programs can offer. The biggest selling point is job stability. Fitz bleeds purple and will be at NU for a long time and so staff doesn't have to worry about significant turn over with head coaching changes. Fitz also is loyal to a fault and very rarely fires assistant coaches. In a world of coaching with significant turnover, NU is one place where coaches can be assured significant stability. With our new facilities and the support of Morty and Jim Phillips, it's a tremendous opportunity for any coach and I have no doubt Fitz will be able to sell it as such.

I hope that he does his due diligence and hires the best coach to develop our offensive line which in my opinion has been the achilles heal of the program.
I doubt he hires the "Current Best Coach Available". Two reasons. 1. The best OL coaches have egos as well and may want more $$. NU just isn't competitive in that market so I doubt we can afford an all time great. No love lost. 2. I don't think Fitz is going to hire a vagabond that is SOLID but only looking to build a resume to move up the professional ladder. Remember, Fitz models himself a lot like Paterno. Lifetime coaches.

So, in all likelihood, we are looking at Anderson, King, or Tripodi. And, I like the sound of a purple coach who actually played the position and coached the position with success. My fav would be King just because I know him personally. But Tripodi is really interesting as he has recruited solid OL at a mac school and actually developed them into All Conference. And Anderson is just plain ole solid although he probably wouldn't stick around after a few years.

And although Cushing struggled to recruit OL and teach them up, my guess is that he will be an excellent coach and will climb the ranks in that capacity. I wouldn't want us to play his team.

One sidenote: As a fan, I'm always looking short term so although I don't think it will happen, a Kramer or some other NFL OL coach would be nice. And, there are dozens of NFL OL coaches available with all of the firings last week. My thought is that if I were a High School recruit, I'd love to play for someone who coached one of my idols in the NFL. So, my fan mentality thinks that will finally bring us some mean OL who are already squatting 650 lbs (Not a lot but better than our OL walking in to the program) before they pick up their first college book.

yea, but I gotta roll with Corbi on this one. I mean, I'm sure the management side of football doesn't tell the players everything. If Fitz said anything to the contrary, it would build distrust. The players gave Cushing their best and although everyone knows it's a market, I would hardly think that Cushing or Fitz would have advised the players that Cushing already has another gig. Fitz is wise. To say anything else other than, "I wish Cushing the best and I certainly wasn't aware of him moving on" is a clear indication that he wasn't part of that process. In reality, I'm sure EIU had to request an interview with Cushings through Fitz/Phillips so, yea, he had to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT