ADVERTISEMENT

Where does this NU season rank all-time?

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
- Last place to first place.
- Undefeated in the division.
- West champs.
- Tough, respectable performance in the title game
- Dominant win against a ‘name’ SEC program on New Year’s Day in a prestigious bowl
- Wonderful milestone for a beloved retiring coach
- Finish ranked in the top 12 (maybe 10?)
- INCREDIBLE commitment and results in the face of COVID

Kills me that our fans couldn’t witness this magical season in person, but damn this was a satisfying season in a dark time for the country and world. Where does this year rank for you? Behind 1995 certainly, but then... ?

GO ‘CATS!

I have been watching the Cats since I went there to Grad School in the early 80's. In my opinion, this is the best defense I have ever seen at Northwestern!!

Had we beat MSU I’d say it was the best in school history, with only a tough 4th quarter championship loss to OSU we would’ve had a top 10 finish. (Of course we wouldn’t have played Auburn, we would’ve been in a NY6).
Otherwise I’d say maybe a little above 2018, a little above 2012. A little above 2015.
Maybe better than 2000 if you take away the hype of the high scoring spread offense.
A little below 1996 because we were co-champs and more balanced and dominant on O and D.
A definite notch below 1995 as that is one of the top few achievements of college football history.

If you're talking modern era; then yeah this year is probably just 2nd to 1995.

1996/2000 are tough to compare because we got shares of the Big Ten title in those years, and it's hard to really compare a share of the Big Ten title to a Big Ten West division title.

They're similar but not.

If I had to rank our best seasons in the modern era:

1) 1995 - outright Big Ten champion, Rose Bowl (10-2)

2) 2020 - outright Big Ten West title, Citrus Bowl champion (7-2)
3) 1996 - shared Big Ten champion, Citrus Bowl (9-3)
4) 2018 - outright Big Ten West title, Holiday Bowl champion (9-5)

5) 2012 - Gator Bowl champion (10-3 with all 3 losses extremely close)
6) 2017 - Music City Bowl champion (10-3)
7) 2000 - shared Big Ten champion, Alamo Bowl (8-4)
8) 2015 - Outback Bowl (10-3 all blowout losses)

That's probably how I'd rank our top seasons in the modern era. 8 great seasons: 2 under Barnett, 1 under Walk, 5 under Fitz. I put them in 3 groups of top seasons.

I would note 2-4 are extremely close. 2020, 1996, 2018 are all very close in my book. 2020 gets the nod because of the Citrus Bowl win and highest ranked finish. 1996 comes next because of the share of the Big Ten championship. Then I'd rank 2018 after those two because of the additional losses.

I'd say there's a big gap between 1 and 2 and then 4 and 5.

Great season — certainly one of the best defenses in school history, right up there with the 1995 group. Only the relatively mediocre offense prevented it from being a truly great team. And the lack of a full B1G and OOC schedule made for a weird season.

I'd say behind 95 96 and 2012. Same league as 2018 and Y2k.
Ahead of 05, 08, 09 15 17
Hard to tell in short season

Reactions: drewjin
1) 1995
2) 1996
3) 2021
4) 2000
5) 2
If you're talking modern era; then yeah this year is probably just 2nd to 1995.

1996/2000 are tough to compare because we got shares of the Big Ten title in those years, and it's hard to really compare a share of the Big Ten title to a Big Ten West division title.

They're similar but not.

If I had to rank our best seasons in the modern era:

1) 1995 - outright Big Ten champion, Rose Bowl (10-2)

2) 2020 - outright Big Ten West title, Citrus Bowl champion (7-2)
3) 1996 - shared Big Ten champion, Citrus Bowl (9-3)
4) 2018 - outright Big Ten West title, Holiday Bowl champion (9-5)

5) 2012 - Gator Bowl champion (10-3 with all 3 losses extremely close)
6) 2017 - Music City Bowl champion (10-3)
7) 2000 - shared Big Ten champion, Alamo Bowl (8-4)
8) 2015 - Outback Bowl (10-3 all blowout losses)

That's probably how I'd rank our top seasons in the modern era. 8 great seasons: 2 under Barnett, 1 under Walk, 5 under Fitz. I put them in 3 groups of top seasons.

I would note 2-4 are extremely close. 2020, 1996, 2018 are all very close in my book. 2020 gets the nod because of the Citrus Bowl win and highest ranked finish. 1996 comes next because of the share of the Big Ten championship. Then I'd rank 2018 after those two because of the additional losses.

I'd say there's a big gap between 1 and 2 and then 4 and 5.

2000 you have ranked way too low. Flawed team, but fun team with a legit Heisman finalist.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
1) 1995
2) 1996
3) 2021
4) 2000
5) 2

2000 you have ranked way too low. Flawed team, but fun team with a legit Heisman finalist.
Yeah, 2000 is just a weird year.

We should have won the Big Ten outright but for that Iowa game. I don't think it's fair to really judge that team badly because of a stumble, but that stumble was huge (took away the outright Big Ten championship and the Rose Bowl).

And instead we ended up in the Alamo Bowl with a Nebraska team that was ranked #1 most of the season.

Just hard to judge that team when that Iowa game basically made the finish look horrible.

I basically rank in terms of accomplishment. The weight of the Big Ten record (titles as well) and then the bowl game achieved and the result there.

In terms of accomplishment, the 2000 team just gets hurt a lot by that Iowa result.

Yeah, 2000 is just a weird year.

We should have won the Big Ten outright but for that Iowa game. I don't think it's fair to really judge that team badly because of a stumble, but that stumble was huge (took away the outright Big Ten championship and the Rose Bowl).

And instead we ended up in the Alamo Bowl with a Nebraska team that was ranked #1 most of the season.

Just hard to judge that team when that Iowa game basically made the finish look horrible.

I basically rank in terms of accomplishment. The weight of the Big Ten record (titles as well) and then the bowl game achieved and the result there.

In terms of accomplishment, the 2000 team just gets hurt a lot by that Iowa result.
Sports are also about moments. Objectively, 2000 is pretty low.

But the double OT win at Wisconsin, and 54-51 against Michigan, and the absurd comeback + Victory Right at Minny, and Anderson’s 2000 yard season, and the emergence of the read option,... it was just spectacular.

I largely agree with @zeek55’s list but for that discrepancy.

1. 1995

2. 2020
3. 1996

4. 2000
5. 2018
6. 2012
7. 2017

8. 2015

All those wins were nice in 2015, but that team wasn’t very good.

I thought it would drive me crazy not going to home games, but I enjoyed parking my sorry keister in the recliner and watching from home. This season was so different for so many reasons, I don’t know how I’d rate it.

Sports are also about moments. Objectively, 2000 is pretty low.

But the double OT win at Wisconsin, and 54-51 against Michigan, and the absurd comeback + Victory Right at Minny, and Anderson’s 2000 yard season, and the emergence of the read option,... it was just spectacular.

I largely agree with @zeek55’s list but for that discrepancy.

1. 1995

2. 2020
3. 1996

4. 2000
5. 2018
6. 2012
7. 2017

8. 2015

All those wins were nice in 2015, but that team wasn’t very good.
Yeah that's a good list for sure (I think I agree with yours more than mine probably), I probably do have the 2000 team a bit low for the reasons you state. And yeah 2015 is sorta just on there as a 10 win, ranked finish season, but yeah those 3 blowout losses basically make it the worst possible 10 win season.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Had we beat MSU I’d say it was the best in school history, with only a tough 4th quarter championship loss to OSU we would’ve had a top 10 finish. (Of course we wouldn’t have played Auburn, we would’ve been in a NY6).
Otherwise I’d say maybe a little above 2018, a little above 2012. A little above 2015.
Maybe better than 2000 if you take away the hype of the high scoring spread offense.
A little below 1996 because we were co-champs and more balanced and dominant on O and D.
A definite notch below 1995 as that is one of the top few achievements of college football history.
Yeah that's a good list for sure (I think I agree with yours more than mine probably), I probably do have the 2000 team a bit low for the reasons you state. And yeah 2015 is sorta just on there as a 10 win, ranked finish season, but yeah those 3 blowout losses basically make it the worst possible 10 win season.
What actually were the NY 6 this year? Thought this was one of them. Two CFP games. Peach, but what else?

Reactions: drewjin
What actually were the NY 6 this year? Thought this was one of them. Two CFP games. Peach, but what else?
Georgia beat Cincinnati in the Peach.
Oklahoma pounded Florida.

Tomorrow is Iowa State-Oregon in the Fiesta and North Carolina-Tx AM in the Orange.

Weird all around.

I attended the Alamo Bowl beatdown. A very said ending to an exciting season, and yes, Indiana, we got jumped in the bowl pecking order that season by the Michigan team that we BEAT 54-51.

- Last place to first place.
- Undefeated in the division.
- West champs.
- Tough, respectable performance in the title game
- Dominant win against a ‘name’ SEC program on New Year’s Day in a prestigious bowl
- Wonderful milestone for a beloved retiring coach
- Finish ranked in the top 12 (maybe 10?)
- INCREDIBLE commitment and results in the face of COVID

Kills me that our fans couldn’t witness this magical season in person, but damn this was a satisfying season in a dark time for the country and world. Where does this year rank for you? Behind 1995 certainly, but then... ?

GO ‘CATS!
Nothing compares to Rose Bowl or Citrus Bowl as we beat or tied Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State,Iowa and Wisconsin though. 4th best

Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Peach, Cotton.

BCS was the first 4 of those 6. Peach/Cotton got added to make it NY6.

Citrus has always been the "best under BCS/NY6" though with the prime 1 pm ABC slot on Jan 1 and biggest payout of the non-BCS/NY6 bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT