ADVERTISEMENT

Which of our guys have any experience playing in Snow?

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
Growing up, we loved to play football in snowy slippery conditions in the park on the south side. For some guys it really got their juices flowing. I could see where a guy from Texas for example might hate it. Who should excel Thornton for one probably has some childhood snow experience. Any one else?

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Growing up, we loved to play football in snowy slippery conditions in the park on the south side. For some guys it really got their juices flowing. I could see where a guy from Texas for example might hate it. Who should excel Thornton for one probably has some childhood snow experience. Any one else?
I assume you mean Thorson and not "Thornton". As for snow experience, all the guys from northern Ohio, including Mogus, who is out, and Charlie Fessler from norhtwestern Pa., who is red-shirting.

I assume you mean Thorson and not "Thornton". As for snow experience, all the guys from northern Ohio, including Mogus, who is out, and Charlie Fessler from norhtwestern Pa., who is red-shirting.
Sorry about the spelling, for a few more weeks I can blame it on typing with a cast on.

I have it on good authority that several of our players make excellent snow angels.

Sorry about the spelling, for a few more weeks I can blame it on typing with a cast on.

Maybe in a flashback you conjured up "Tricky Dick" Thornton, who played QB and safety in the late '50s. He was the first player (allegedly) known to have spiked the ball in the end zone. Being from the northwest side of Chicago, he might have been playing in snow at some point, especially in his pro career in the Canadian Football League. (Don't blame your typos on your cast. That would be typo-casting)

Thanks for bringing up memories of "snow football" from my youth. My friends and I would always head to Calumet Park on the far Southeast side the Saturday after the first good snowfall of the year. No one could run very fast in the snow, so our collisions playing tackle were of the low-speed variety and the heavy snow was much easier to fall onto than field turf. Great fun, great memories.

Maybe in a flashback you conjured up "Tricky Dick" Thornton, who played QB and safety in the late '50s. He was the first player (allegedly) known to have spiked the ball in the end zone. Being from the northwest side of Chicago, he might have been playing in snow at some point, especially in his pro career in the Canadian Football League. (Don't blame your typos on your cast. That would be typo-casting)
Beside QB and safety Dick Thornton also did the punting. Not completely separate offense and defense in those days. Many guys played both ways and were on the field a long time. Different time, different game. Lot's of fun to watch.

Only you, Uber. Only you . . . :D

Thanks for bringing up memories of "snow football" from my youth. My friends and I would always head to Calumet Park on the far Southeast side the Saturday after the first good snowfall of the year. No one could run very fast in the snow, so our collisions playing tackle were of the low-speed variety and the heavy snow was much easier to fall onto than field turf. Great fun, great memories.
CALUMET PARK! Who are you? That is where I played or sometimes the Dan Ryan Woods. Bill Fish 94th and Winchester.

Dick Thornton (from Taft HS) beat out my best friend in High School for first team all-state quarterback. Taft probably had the best looking girls in the Chicago Public League.

My friend went to Yale, was converted to running back, and ran a kickoff back for a TD many, many years ago.

Oh yeah, playing in the snow was fun up to the point where you got hit from behind and were skidding along on your front-side, collecting a massive bunch of snow down by your throat between your pads and and your oh-so iced skin. You don't tend to warm up much after that.

Last edited:
Steve Ochoa, 92nd and Saginaw. I'm an old-timer, Mt. Carmel, class of '70.
I'm a Morgan Park Mustang class or 73. Claimant Park was a fun little par. Man we lived about a mile apart. Did you know any of the Dubecks? I think they went to Mt Carmel.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT