ADVERTISEMENT

Which Power 5 schools are likely to get worst deals in superconference era?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Assuming the B1G decides to pump up and expand to 20 or 24 members, the question of who gets left behind or has to make a deal downgrading their prior status will become real.
My assumption would be that the B1G, in addition tp ND, would add teams from the PAC and ACC, along possibly with a grab or 2 from the Big 12.

To me, the schools most screwed are those in the PAC and ACC with little or no chance of being absorbed into an expanded B1G.

The highest profile programs left behind to scramble with the leftovers, in my opinion:

Cal
Florida State
Wake Forest
NC State
Oregon State

I do think Cal might get invited, but I think internal issues would prevent them from joining unless it was for football only.

As a side note, I think the superconference idea is likely to drive the idea of limited, I.e. football only, or football/basketball conference membership. The reality of the USC/UCLA move is that it is driven by football and UCLA basketball. The rest of both schools’ athletics are much better staying in the PAC. A deal where they stayed in conference except for football (and maybe basketball) and paid the conference back part of their enhanced TV royalties might have worked out better, budget wise, than a full move.

The Power 5 schools that would not become part of the super conferences are, generally speaking, already struggling in balancing their athletic budgets (Cal is a prime example). If the LA move hadn’t been announced this week, the PAC and ACC would probably have been better off essentially renting out their most lucrative football programs (in addition to USC and UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina), taking a cut of the enhanced superconference revenue, and keeping the rest of their conference intact.

Reactions: corbi296
If the B1G and SEC expand to say, 24 schools each - think the strongest schools that are remnants of the ACC, B12 and Pac12 form their own national "superconference," but would clearly be a Tier 2 league that won't even come close to what the ACC and B12 command now.

The B1G and SEC will basically decide the "national champion"; winning whatever the conference of combined leftovers ends up being called would be the equivalent of winning the Championship league in English soccer, as opposed to winning the EPL.

Reactions: zanycat
If the B1G and SEC expand to say, 24 schools each - think the strongest schools that are remnants of the ACC, B12 and Pac12 form their own national "superconference," but would clearly be a Tier 2 league that won't even come close to what the ACC and B12 command now.

The B1G and SEC will basically decide the "national champion"; winning whatever the conference of combined leftovers ends up being called would be the equivalent of winning the Championship league in English soccer, as opposed to winning the EPL.
Good thinking. How about this? Blowup the conferences entirely and just have some sort of 40 team super league but have promotion and relegation like in European soccer so interest remains high even for the second 40 teams.

I don’t know what this monstrosity they’ve created is, but it ain’t the Big 10. Well, unless it’s base-16 mathematics with further mathematics to be announced.

Reactions: NUCat320
Good thinking. How about this? Blowup the conferences entirely and just have some sort of 40 team super league but have promotion and relegation like in European soccer so interest remains high even for the second 40 teams.

I don’t know what this monstrosity they’ve created is, but it ain’t the Big 10. Well, unless it’s base-16 mathematics with further mathematics to be announced.
One thing I am pretty certain of is that the college football community will not embrace any concepts borrowed from European “football” on principle alone, no matter how good of an idea it is.

Reactions: WaveJumper
^^ While it has its merits, think regulation would make things too complicated/messy.

We're talking way more schools spread out over a much larger geographic area.

Think the B1G and SEC (along w/ Fox and Disney) are looking more at the NFL (split btwn the AFC and NFC) as the model.

Plus, don't think the B1G bigwigs would be too keen on seeing the WVU or Cincinnati (much less Northern Illinois) end up joining the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT