ADVERTISEMENT

Who on this board commented that Sam Darnold

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
was stupid for going to USC, instead of NU, because SC had another top ranked QB committing, and he (Darnold)?would never play?

That kid is a flat out baller, he's gonna be scary good at USC for the next few years

th

So much for star rankings! This is a perfect example where the lower rated kid excelled. I should have known better. Guess I've been listening to E-Cat for too long. Sorry Glades.

Reactions: Gladeskat
So much for star rankings! This is a perfect example where the lower rated kid excelled. I should have known better. Guess I've been listening to E-Cat for too long. Sorry Glades.
A quick check had him on 247sports at the 147th overall player, 4 Star, 5th best dual threat. At rivals 179th overall. It doesn't appear to be a failure to recognize talent.

It's not like Darnold wasn't a highly rated recruit in his own right - was the 8th rated QB and 115th rated player for the ESPN300 and the 8th ranked DT QB by Rivals w/ a 4* rating and a 5.8 grade.

The QB who Darnold supplanted, Ricky Town, was the 5th ranked pro-stye QB by Rivals, rated a 4* with a 5.9 grade and was rated the 10 best QB and the 124th player in the ESPN300 rankings - basically a wash.

Once Darnold got the offer from USC, he was going there - grew up a USC fan and despite the prior commitment of Town, had the confidence to declare that he was going to win the job.

Look who the best players the 'Cats have on offense - all but one being 4* recruits in JJtBC, Thorson and Dickerson.

Sure, there are 2* or even walk-ons who end up beating out higher rated recruits, but more often than not, it's the 4*/5* recruits that end up being the big play-makers.

Not all of them pan out, but more of them do than 3* or 2* recruits - which is why we see the usual suspects playing for the national championships and why programs like 'Bama, dOSU, etc. don't have rosters filled w/ 2* recruits, much less walk-ons.

(Now, I'm sure one can put together a top-notch team w/ 2* recruits, but the problem is hitting on all of your 2* recruits which is more difficult to do).

It's not like Darnold wasn't a highly rated recruit in his own right - was the 8th rated QB and 115th rated player for the ESPN300 and the 8th ranked DT QB by Rivals w/ a 4* rating and a 5.8 grade.

The QB who Darnold supplanted, Ricky Town, was the 5th ranked pro-stye QB by Rivals, rated a 4* with a 5.9 grade and was rated the 10 best QB and the 124th player in the ESPN300 rankings - basically a wash.

Once Darnold got the offer from USC, he was going there - grew up a USC fan and despite the prior commitment of Town, had the confidence to declare that he was going to win the job.

Look who the best players the 'Cats have on offense - all but one being 4* recruits in JJtBC, Thorson and Dickerson.

Sure, there are 2* or even walk-ons who end up beating out higher rated recruits, but more often than not, it's the 4*/5* recruits that end up being the big play-makers.

Not all of them pan out, but more of them do than 3* or 2* recruits - which is why we see the usual suspects playing for the national championships and why programs like 'Bama, dOSU, etc. don't have rosters filled w/ 2* recruits, much less walk-ons.

(Now, I'm sure one can put together a top-notch team w/ 2* recruits, but the problem is hitting on all of your 2* recruits which is more difficult to do).

No one doubts that five-stars, on average, will hit more often than lower-rated recruits, but there just aren't that many five stars. Most years, the average Division I program doesn't get even one five-star, let alone the multiple five-stars the Alabamas and Ohio States bring in. If we're having a good year at NU, we might pull in some four-stars as we did a couple of years back. The first object needs to be to maintain as high a percentage as possible of at least three-star level. If NU can do that, pick up four-star recruits here and there, and hit the occasional two-star or walk-on diamond in the rough, they should be able to field consistently competitive teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT