ADVERTISEMENT

Who turned down the NU job, according to Jim O’Donnell of the Daily Herald

The list should not be unobtainable. NU has a seat at the table for a spot in the Big 2 of college football. If it is unobtainable it is only because of Bozo, Cookie and the circus jugglers running the big top.

/s/
NU has always been the dream landing spot of the CFB coaching world. How many NUFB HC are considered for every job including POTUS without even a CFB playoff experience? There was a point I thought PF might leave NU to become the Master of the Universe.

And before PF, how tough was it to select RW from the swaths of blue ribbon coaches begging for the job. Even Saint Barney was only hired because he was a saint.

/end S/

What a crazy notion that a losing program that retains most of their assistant coaches and recently had been nationally exposed for some creepy locker room practices did not have every great or hot coach begging for a chance to ride the program to glory….

Some serious delusions around here…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: eddie_gocats
The biggest deterrent to the job has nothing to do with Schill and Gragg. It is the academic restrictions on recruiting. That is inflexible regardless of who is president or AD. Don’t get me wrong, I think Gragg and Schill have been terrible and that they should be dismissed. But I think the job’s overall lack of appeal is not their fault. It is at an institutional level.

Nah. It's the small fan base and gameday atmosphere. There isn't the buzz around the program like other B1G state schools.

Jimbo got 10 years/$95M fully guaranteed. They’re paying him $75M to go away, and every penny is guaranteed and none of it offsets if he takes a new job.

I’d let the wrestling coach **** me on the 50 yard line in front of a full stadium for that contract. And Fritz would too!

Ticketron might want to get in on this.

Reactions: kreggk
NU has always been the dream landing spot of the CFB coaching world. How many CFB are considered for every job including POTUS without even a CFB playoff experience. There was a point I thought PF might leave NU to become the Master of the Universe.

And before PF, how tough was it to select RW from the swaths of blue ribbon coaches begging for the job. Even Saint Barney was only hired because he was a saint.

What a crazy notion that a losing program that retain most of their assistant coaches and recently had been nationally exposed for some creepy locker room practices did not have every great or hot coach begging for a chance to ride the program to glory….

Some serious delusions around here…
Is this even English?

I would love to see a breakdown of the correct expectations of fan base/crowd size for NU....when you factor in size of Alumni base, competition from a State school, competition from local professional teams, past history, current media availability etc. But I remember the 80s and getting my tickets for 5 bucks on the street across from the stadium....and I remember the Barnett years with a packed stadium. I think those days are gone but a new smaller stadium is probably a good move.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Is this even English?
Helped you out and edited it for you. And how about those 7 wins? Thank goodness all the stars aligned cuz it’s hard to win 7 at NU, with admissions, incompetent Prez, AD and asst coaches, terrible and short recruiting classes, exodus of true talent and so on. Thank goodness GB Fitz was there to put it all together cuz who knows when another 7 win season might come to pass…

There’s a thread about Paul Chryst, but JOD’s original column names all the names, none of which are surprising.

Mike Elko, Duke
Lance Leipold, Kansas
Clawson, Wake
Mike Kafka
Tommy Rees
Troy Calhoun, Air Force
Paul Chryst, meagerly employed
Willie Fritz, Tulane

Bronco Mendenhall, currently unemployed, did *not* say no, but NU chose Braun over him.

JOD is a bit of a whack job, and Gragg previously said his reporting was false, but this list is a) what we would’ve expected and b) mostly guys who are currently in a better situation than a two-years-on-the-road nomadic team.

There’s also a bit at the end about Fitz getting a $50 invoice for an unreturned key fob.

It’s possible Fitz is the source for much of this, but that’s a guess. The other papers no longer prioritize covering NU, even a little. And Teddy G is no longer available as Phillips’ toadie-in-chief.
One name I did not see on the list was Sean Lewis

He’d be an OC candidate at this point, having lost whatever early season momentum he got at Colorado.
At this point yes. But at the time it was open, he seemed like a descent candidate and yet was not on the list.

But now our need is OC, And since Braun has no real O experience, he would be able to run his own show which might appeal to him

At this point yes. But at the time it was open, he seemed like a descent candidate and yet was not on the list.

But now our need is OC, And since Braun has no real O experience, he would be able to run his own show which might appeal to him

Sorry, clunky post by me… clearly Braun is HC so he’s an OC candidate, I meant that I don’t think he really deserved a HC look as the season wore on at Colorado.

You hit on why I think Lewis would make so much sense as NU OC — has head coaching experience, so can run that side of the ball almost autonomously.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
Sorry, clunky post by me… clearly Braun is HC so he’s an OC candidate, I meant that I don’t think he really deserved a HC look as the season wore on at Colorado.

You hit on why I think Lewis would make so much sense as NU OC — has head coaching experience, so can run that side of the ball almost autonomously.
Lewis would be a dream as OC. My long-time name to toss out at the position still looks good to me: Nick Hill of Southern Illinois. Great team again this year, just blew out their first round playoff opponent. Calls all the plays, experienced at balanced spread attacks and QB coaching. Head coach experience. Familiar to Braun. Would be an excellent “head coach of the offense” with associate head coach title guy.

Lewis would be a dream as OC. My long-time name to toss out at the position still looks good to me: Nick Hill of Southern Illinois. Great team again this year, just blew out their first round playoff opponent. Calls all the plays, experienced at balanced spread attacks and QB coaching. Head coach experience. Familiar to Braun. Would be an excellent “head coach of the offense” with associate head coach title guy.

Could definitely see that, especially as Braun’s network is presumably heavy on FCS and Southern Illinois is in the same conference as NDSU.

Interesting name. I like your thinking. Does he have a QB he can bring to Evanston? Would prefer a package deal if possible. The more I read about Hill…the more I like.

Last edited:

And when the search was supposedly initiated he was thought by many here to be an interesting candidate but was not on the list of guys they talked to. Our HC search is done but as you say at this point would seem to be a pretty viable OC Candidate. He has been sidelined in Colorado because Prime is what he is. He needs a new start to become relevant again and this would be a place to do it. Other places he could land for sure

When I read the Daily Herald piece, it stuck me as a total plant from Pat Fitzgerald (or his agent), all the way down to the key fob anecdote. It's not surprising that so many coaches took a pass on the NU job -- due to the hazing scandal, the Fitzgerald lawsuit, a suspect AD and President, the lack of a home field for two years, and the academic standards that hamper recruiting.

But what has really struck me is how many head coaches are being fired from programs that achieved much more in the current season than Fitz achieved in his last two years. Whether Braun ultimately succeeds or fails, I hope we're done tolerating 1 and 2 win seasons.

If true, pretty much a lame/predictable list.

Where are the HCs or coordinators from successful programs at the lower level?

And Chryst - really?

If the Cats were going after an offensive minded coach, at least get one with a track history of having successful Os, much less QBs.

Reports are that Lewis may be headed to SDSU.

Reactions: drewjin
When I read the Daily Herald piece, it stuck me as a total plant from Pat Fitzgerald (or his agent), all the way down to the key fob anecdote. It's not surprising that so many coaches took a pass on the NU job -- due to the hazing scandal, the Fitzgerald lawsuit, a suspect AD and President, the lack of a home field for two years, and the academic standards that hamper recruiting.

But what has really struck me is how many head coaches are being fired from programs that achieved much more in the current season than Fitz achieved in his last two years. Whether Braun ultimately succeeds or fails, I hope we're done tolerating 1 and 2 win seasons.
Exactly how it read.

Wild decision, Houston over waiting.
I actually think the Big 12 is a great spot for G5 coaches to go as a middle step before going to the Big Ten or SEC.

There's no "big dog" in that conference to worry about with Texas/OU leaving.

A good coach can probably put things together and go 9-3 or 8-4 a couple of years while earning $3-6 million per year, which would get you looks from Big Ten/SEC programs in need of a HC and willing to them in the $7+ million bracket.

Competitively that's a great situation for coaches that wants to bet on themselves...

I actually think the Big 12 is a great spot for G5 coaches to go as a middle step before going to the Big Ten or SEC.

There's no "big dog" in that conference to worry about with Texas/OU leaving.

A good coach can probably put things together and go 9-3 or 8-4 a couple of years while earning $3-6 million per year, which would get you looks from Big Ten/SEC programs in need of a HC and willing to them in the $7+ million bracket.

Competitively that's a great situation for coaches that wants to bet on themselves...
Big 12 is different than Houston specifically. I said Houston.

Big 12 is different than Houston specifically. I said Houston.
Sure but I think most of the Big 12 programs are equal in value (with Oklahoma State and Utah a bit above the rest while Iowa State and Kansas are a bit below the rest).

Houston is like any other middle tier program there (like UCF or TCU or Arizona/Arizona State or Cincy or Texas Tech/Baylor): good location if a coach bets on themselves to take over an average P4/Big 12 program and can make something happen.

Those programs are a step up from Tulane. That's what Fritz sees.

I don't buy it. We're talking about bureaucrats. They do the least amount of thinking and work as possible. Hiring Braun was the logical choice. It was was the easiest and least risky.

I don't think for a second they talked or seriously considered anyone else.

I don't buy it. We're talking about bureaucrats. They do the least amount of thinking and work as possible. Hiring Braun was the logical choice. It was was the easiest and least risky.

I don't think for a second they talked or seriously considered anyone else.

You’re wrong. Very wrong.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I guess “seriously considered” is subjective. My guess is the Board was hoping Braun would be good enough to keep around. I can’t imagine they had much confidence Gragg could handle this process
They would be even bigger idiots that most of us think if they weren’t kicking the tires for the last two months before hiring Braun.

They would be even bigger idiots that most of us think if they weren’t kicking the tires for the last two months before hiring Braun.
Is “kicking the tires” the same as “seriously considered?” I have no doubt inquiries were made but was anyone asked to interview?

Is “kicking the tires” the same as “seriously considered?” I have no doubt inquiries were made but was anyone asked to interview?
I absolutely believe these Coaches or their representatives were all contacted about any potential interest. I also believe most said, under the current situation, they were not interested.

I can't believe this article is still getting any traction.

O'Donnell just wrote an article suggesting if the Bears don't ultimately take over Arlington Park, that the Cubs should build a stadium to play *some* of their games there. He's got like 43 twitter followers and still publishes his yahoo.com email account. This guy is a loser, and any narration he's got on an NU coaching search is probably informed by a neighbor who insists he knows a guy who knows (like every Michigan fan).

I absolutely believe these Coaches or their representatives were all contacted about any potential interest. I also believe most said, under the current situation, they were not interested.
So if you think making inquiries is seriously interested, that’s fine. I don’t.

Sure but I think most of the Big 12 programs are equal in value (with Oklahoma State and Utah a bit above the rest while Iowa State and Kansas are a bit below the rest).

Houston is like any other middle tier program there (like UCF or TCU or Arizona/Arizona State or Cincy or Texas Tech/Baylor): good location if a coach bets on themselves to take over an average P4/Big 12 program and can make something happen.

Those programs are a step up from Tulane. That's what Fritz sees.
I'm not debating any of that. Houston has some Houston problems. It's not Tulane, no.

I really like Fritz and wish him well. Really do. Hope he succeeds.

The Middle Realm of Texas football [not UT] is a weird space is all.

So if you think making inquiries is seriously interested, that’s fine. I don’t.
O’Donnell has around forever. He is from my neck of the woods, I don’t really know him, but I know several people that do. He has printed a lot of negative stuff about NU over the years. He also was one of the few journalist’s that hit Schill and Gragg for their ineptitude. He was hardly a Fitz fan and the notion that Fitz somehow leaked the story is ludicrous.

What I think is some NU fans think the HC Football position is much more desirable that it current is to the masses. Therefore, they question the validity of reports and call BS. Many of these same fans support the Daily information as facts, when many have been less than supported. My position is the NU job is one of the toughest in P5, maybe the toughest, and the names listed (sans Bronco) would NOT be interested in NU with the current restrictions and Bozo, Cooky, and Ringmaster Ned.

O’Donnell has around forever. He is from my neck of the woods, I don’t really know him, but I know several people that do. He has printed a lot of negative stuff about NU over the years. He also was one of the few journalist’s that hit Schill and Gragg for their ineptitude. He was hardly a Fitz fan and the notion that Fitz somehow leaked the story is ludicrous.

What I think is some NU fans think the HC Football position is much more desirable that it current is to the masses. Therefore, they question the validity of reports and call BS. Many of these same fans support the Daily information as facts, when many have been less than supported. My position is the NU job is one of the toughest in P5, maybe the toughest, and the names listed (sans Bronco) would NOT be interested in NU with the current restrictions and Bozo, Cooky, and Ringmaster Ned.
Yes many people, including me, agree that the job is extremely undesirable right now. I think with a new stadium, a new administration, the job would be much more attractive, maybe even desirable. No coach who had other options was taking this job today.

Right, because firing people is the only way to get them to do better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT