ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the most exciting NU freshman to watch in 2016?

I like Josh Hemholt, but it's articles like that piss me off. No way Larkin isn't going to redshirt (intention double negative). Jackson, Long, Anderson, Moten... You got a lot of people ahead of you.

Reactions: epicbret
I like Josh Hemholt, but it's articles like that piss me off. No way Larkin isn't going to redshirt (intention double negative). Jackson, Long, Anderson, Moten... You got a lot of people ahead of you.

Same with Sanders at PSU. Think anyone other than a healthy Barkley will carry the ball for the Nits? Dumb.

For Rivals' Josh Hemholdt, it's Jeremy Larkin.

B1G Freshman to watch
That goes to show you how pathetic these reporters are! That guy does not even sniff the field next season! He has four very good backs ahead of him in JJ WML Moten and Anderson. I will vote for Lees. You simply HAVE to get that guy on the field. We truly don't know about his hands, but his legs are insane and don't forget that while he may not be a true D1 QB he sure as heck can throw! I'd really like to see McCall make some use of that as it would truly add a huge dimension on the field for the Cats.

I doubt Jango will play because 1) he's recovering from labrum surgery and just doesn't have to size and strength right now to play college ball, and 2) he'd be better off playing as a 5th year player than being used only for special teams this year. I think it would be best for him to redshirt.

I doubt Jango will play because 1) he's recovering from labrum surgery and just doesn't have to size and strength right now to play college ball, and 2) he'd be better off playing as a 5th year player than being used only for special teams this year. I think it would be best for him to redshirt.

His father has implied as much when visiting this board......

I like Josh Hemholt, but it's articles like that piss me off.

Couldn't agree more...dumb article. No depth of thought...he's not looking at the specific needs of the various teams nor the player's readiness to step in and make a difference. Why not just call it each team's flashiest recruit?

His father has implied as much when visiting this board......
All true, but Mr. Glackin also noted that PF told Jango that he could see the field on ST as a frosh, largely because of his speed (paraphrasing).

But I agree that he's better off shirting. The only guy who might have a real opening, and the skills to seize it, is Lees.

I am usually surprised by which Freshmen play. Never expected my Balt boy Jelani Roberts to play last year, for instance, unless it was returning kicks.

Also, sometimes you watch the frosh mistakes and wonder what the coaches see that we don't. Campbell, for instance, I just didn't get it until the game slowed down for him towards the end of his first year and he started hitting people like a truck. Other guys such as JJTBC look natural from day one

If I HAD to predict, I'd pick a WR as it is our position of greatest need of production and you don't take a beating like other positions, nor typically do you ruin a game for the team if you make a couple of simple mistakes, unlike a DB

Our depth chart is such that it would take some significant injuries for any of the freshman who might be physically ready to play. Saunders' body looks ready on tape, but who knows if he's ready for college ball in the trenches. My guess is that he still needs a year of strength training, not to mention a slew of injuries, to get into the DT rotation. Carnifax shoulder surgery probably precludes him from playing, though there might a narrow crack of an opening at DE. RoCamp might have the skills to get on the field, but the depth at CB, even with McShep out, is formidable.

The only guy who might be a darkhorse is Gunnar Vogel at OT, a position where our depth is questionable. He was a huge pancake machine his senior year, but my guess is that he's not physically ready for B1G play.

At first I was surprised Jordan Thompson burned his shirt last year but he turned out to be pretty productive even though a bit undersized. Same for X Wash, who still seems a bit undersized. This season, I won't be surprised if Lees burns his shirt, and Carnifax if he recovers from his surgery.

I thought Thompson had a good shot at playing as a freshman if he came in around 270 lbs. He plays with such great leverage. If he gets stronger in the coming years, he could be an all-B1G DT. The same is true with Lancaster, who already as tons of size and strength. Combine the strengths of those two into one player and you have a first round draft choice. I can't wait to see our DT's next season. Robbins and Kuhar, when healthy, are pretty good as well. Watch for the football rags to disrespect our DT's in their preseason analyses.

Illinois fans are fired up about their talent on the DL, but I don't think it compares to what we have there, especially at DT. Watching their DL in last year's Illinois game, I was not that impressed, even with their 2nd rounder, Jihad Ward. Smoot looks good but not instinctive/reactive enough on running plays. Clements is fast but just OK. Bains I liked for a brawler; he reminds me of Foster.

Quite possibly, the 10 win season for the 'Cats and the 7 win season for the other felines played a part in Larkin changing his mind, but Cincy has 2 backs returning who rushed for over 700 yds (last season, Cincy had 3 backs run for over 700 yds) as well as 2 talented backs who red-shirted.

Quite possibly, the 10 win season for the 'Cats and the 7 win season for the other felines played a part in Larkin changing his mind, but Cincy has 2 backs returning who rushed for over 700 yds (last season, Cincy had 3 backs run for over 700 yds) as well as 2 talented backs who red-shirted.

Huh? RB is the deepest position on NU with an entrenched 1000+ yard rusher with 2 seasons remaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT