ADVERTISEMENT

Wolverines unsurprisingly fire Howard

Yeah, that's not a shock. The team has done well enough, but it's obvious that each year the team has become more a product of Howard's leadership, their success has declined and this was a historically bad year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Yeah, that's not a shock. The team has done well enough, but it's obvious that each year the team has become more a product of Howard's leadership, their success has declined and this was a historically bad year.
What a shame !

I've got to admit I am not at all a fan of college coaches putting their kids on the roster.

Sometimes I get it, like Doug McDermott was a baller, but most of the time it just reeks of undeserved nepotism.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Beilein's last 3 years went Sweet 16, Runner-Up, Sweet 16. Howard took over in 2020, having lost 3 pro-level players, and led Michigan to their worst record in 5 years, though they likely would've made the tourney. Went to the elite 8 the next year with Hunter Dickenson alongside two NBA players and two other major transfers, but lost to play-in seed UCLA. They got worse each year after that. The next year he lost in the sweet 16 as an 11 seed, missed the tourney last year and then finished dead last this year, their worst season since Beilein's first year, when they provided NU's only conference win that season.

Reactions: EagerFan
Beilein's last 3 years went Sweet 16, Runner-Up, Sweet 16. Howard took over in 2020, having lost 3 pro-level players, and led Michigan to their worst record in 5 years, though they likely would've made the tourney. Went to the elite 8 the next year with Hunter Dickenson alongside two NBA players and two other major transfers, but lost to play-in seed UCLA. They got worse each year after that. The next year he lost in the sweet 16 as an 11 seed, missed the tourney last year and then finished dead last this year, their worst season since Beilein's first year, when they provided NU's only conference win that season.
He’d survive this awful awful on-court season if it weren’t for two other factors: #1. He clearly isn’t very interested or successful at scouting and recruiting and can’t get guys to come in, which is tie to #2. he’s been an absolute perpetrator of some of the most insane behavior both externally and, as we’ve learned, internally within the entire sport. His personality and erratic behavior is intolerable for anybody who isn’t a star athlete, and he wasn’t going to survive a tough stretch being that much of a toxic jerk

He’d survive this awful awful on-court season if it weren’t for two other factors: #1. He clearly isn’t very interested or successful at scouting and recruiting and can’t get guys to come in, which is tie to #2. he’s been an absolute perpetrator of some of the most insane behavior both externally and, as we’ve learned, internally within the entire sport. His personality and erratic behavior is intolerable for anybody who isn’t a star athlete, and he wasn’t going to survive a tough stretch being that much of a toxic jerk
He's also a lousy coach. For the past couple of years or longer his teams have been a disorganized mess. Hunter Dickinson left for a reason.

I have to admit, I watched him a lot on the sidelines after NU began to smoke Blue. His combustible personality is must watch. You never know when he would slap a opposing Coach or berate his own guys. He was great entertainment if you were the opposition. I will miss him and Blue will get better.

I've got to admit I am not at all a fan of college coaches putting their kids on the roster.

Sometimes I get it, like Doug McDermott was a baller, but most of the time it just reeks of undeserved nepotism.
Some have done well McCaferry for example. I think Hoiberg's son is on NEB. And there is being on the roster and playing and or starting. The second couple need to be earned as the coach can lose the team by plying someone that does not deserve to be in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT