ADVERTISEMENT

Would NU consider a JUCO transfer for quarterback?

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
While the pool of academically qualified JUCO quarterbacks may be limited, curious who might be out there that might be a good fit for NU?

Although I see a number of listings for 2017, apparently the list of 2018 potentials is more difficult to locate.

An obvious advantage of JUCO transfer over a graduate transfer would be potentially longer playing time so if CT goes pro after next season we would have someone with experience for the following year. (This assumes CT would not be ready to play at the beginning of the 2018 season.)

While the pool of academically qualified JUCO quarterbacks may be limited, curious who might be out there that might be a good fit for NU?

Although I see a number of listings for 2017, apparently the list of 2018 potentials is more difficult to locate.

An obvious advantage of JUCO transfer over a graduate transfer would be potentially longer playing time so if CT goes pro after next season we would have someone with experience for the following year. (This assumes CT would not be ready to play at the beginning of the 2018 season.)

Consider, sure. The problem is that said JUCO QB would have had to meet NU's admissions requirements both at the time of high school graduation AND at the time of transfer (or at least that was the case when I was in the recruiting office). That means you couldn't take a guy who went JUCO to "clean up" his transcript, but instead a guy who needed more time to physically develop... which is pretty rare. Many/most JUCO guys end up there because they've got work to do academically and/or aren't good enough to play D1 football even with additional development.

I would personally be much more interested in whether NU could sell a "two-to-play-two" grad transfer (a la Klock and Brown) on coming in with the possibility to play this year pending Thorson's health while setting themselves up on the inside track to start in 2019.

If you recruited a JUCO, you'd want them to sign in December, so they can enroll in January and take part in spring ball. Too late for that now.

I brought up the name Lindsey Scott a few months ago. LSU signee, was their backup for a while, for whatever decided to transfer (maybe because of the coaching change). Offered by Harvard back in the day. Spemt last year at a JUCO (not due to academics, but so he could play) and from what I understand he wanted to sign by Dec 20 but did not do it because of all the coaching changes taking place.

Of course if he wins the job and then Clayton comes back, we might have an unwanted QB controversy on our hands, so maybe it is not a good idea. I simply don't know.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/smithology/2017/dec/7/former-lsu-qb-and-njcaa-national-champ-l/

http://datboot.com/2017/12/05/lindsey-scott-jr-lsu-emcc-tulane-kansas-utsa-recruiting/

I brought up the name Lindsey Scott a few months ago. LSU signee, was their backup for a while, for whatever decided to transfer (maybe because of the coaching change). Offered by Harvard back in the day. Spemt last year at a JUCO (not due to academics, but so he could play) and from what I understand he wanted to sign by Dec 20 but did not do it because of all the coaching changes taking place.

Of course if he wins the job and then Clayton comes back, we might have an unwanted QB controversy on our hands, so maybe it is not a good idea. I simply don't know.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/smithology/2017/dec/7/former-lsu-qb-and-njcaa-national-champ-l/

http://datboot.com/2017/12/05/lindsey-scott-jr-lsu-emcc-tulane-kansas-utsa-recruiting/

Wow...great find. He’s at Last Chance U! Very cool...plus great bloodlines. Surely an intriguing prospect and one to at least take a look.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

I like it and hopefully Fitz and NU offer and soon. It sounds like Thorson's surgery won't be done for at least 2 weeks or more. Add 9 months recovery time and your into October.

He is a 5-11 210 dual-threat QB who competed for second string at LSU. I like our chances with Marty, Smith, and Green better.

Reactions: NUCat320
He is a 5-11 210 dual-threat QB who competed for second string at LSU. I like our chances with Marty, Smith, and Green better.

I was not knocking Marty, Smith or Green, just answering the question about are there any QBs we could - potentially - look at from Junior Colleges.

For all I know our next years kick ass QB is already on the squad. And there is something to be said about being loyal to guys who have been with you for some time as opposed to throwing a JUCO hot shot in the mix. Could screw up team chemistry, class loyalties, etc.

Good luck to one and all.

Well this is a fine kettle of fish.......I am guessing the staff already has an idea who may or not be ready to fill the role they are thinking about....and if it is anyone....the exception is the incoming freshman who I am guessing will not be ready. But any way you look at it If Clayton is not ready we are short a qb in the qb room....I wonder if Lloyd Yates will move back to qb and orrrrr....... here it comes....way out of the box......they move Riley Lees back to qb and run a true spread!!!!

Well this is a fine kettle of fish.......I am guessing the staff already has an idea who may or not be ready to fill the role they are thinking about....and if it is anyone....the exception is the incoming freshman who I am guessing will not be ready. But any way you look at it If Clayton is not ready we are short a qb in the qb room....I wonder if Lloyd Yates will move back to qb and orrrrr....... here it comes....way out of the box......they move Riley Lees back to qb and run a true spread!!!!

Well, Lees DID show some excellent elusiveness when the brilliantly conceived pass play broke down....

Reactions: NUCat320
Like most, I am entertained by the speculation but there are reality limits. NU recruited the QBs they have for a reason and they have a boatload of healthy ones. Next one up.

Wow...great find. He’s at Last Chance U! Very cool...plus great bloodlines. Surely an intriguing prospect and one to at least take a look.
After watching Last Chance U I don’t see that as a fertile recruiting ground for NU academic standards ... individual examples aside.

I was not knocking Marty, Smith or Green, just answering the question about are there any QBs we could - potentially - look at from Junior Colleges.

For all I know our next years kick ass QB is already on the squad. And there is something to be said about being loyal to guys who have been with you for some time as opposed to throwing a JUCO hot shot in the mix. Could screw up team chemistry, class loyalties, etc.

Good luck to one and all.
Or his hotshot performance could help lead the Wildcats to the West Division crown and be loved by all of his teammates.

Well, Lees DID show some excellent elusiveness when the brilliantly conceived pass play broke down....
The only offense that Lees could run in college would be like a Navy/Army/Gtech type of running show. I saw Lees play qb in hschool and his arm wasn't feasible to play big time college games! I have always been one of his biggest fans though as a wr! He might be an allamerican next season if we get the right qb to pass to him!

Willy, there is a greater probability that monkeys fly out of Glades' butt than a transfer QB comes to NU and sets the world on fire.
Why do you write that HJ? ZKustok was a transfer from ND! He did pretty damn well good in helping us win the BIG championship in 2000! I think you should have a drink and open your eyes! I think our situation right now at the qb position for a few years would be perfect for the right candidate to do exactly what we hope he will. The only qb that will be as good as Thorson from my perspective is the Cale Millen fellow- but he won't be available for 2-3 years? What do you want us to do? Remember how Bacher got hurt and we didn't have much to replace him? We lost almost every game except for Miami of ohio with a young qb like Kafka! Kafka kicked some tush for us later in his career- but he just wasn't ready yet. I agree with many fans who say we might have a great one already on the roster! But he won't be ready/really good until jr/sr years in my opinion! Why not plan now for what will bridge that gap??

Zach Kustok was a transfer QB.
Cue up the monkeys.....

Y1CdQszzQG-2.png

Why do you write that HJ? ZKustok was a transfer from ND! He did pretty damn well good in helping us win the BIG championship in 2000! I think you should have a drink and open your eyes! I think our situation right now at the qb position for a few years would be perfect for the right candidate to do exactly what we hope he will. The only qb that will be as good as Thorson from my perspective is the Cale Millen fellow- but he won't be available for 2-3 years? What do you want us to do? Remember how Bacher got hurt and we didn't have much to replace him? We lost almost every game except for Miami of ohio with a young qb like Kafka! Kafka kicked some tush for us later in his career- but he just wasn't ready yet. I agree with many fans who say we might have a great one already on the roster! But he won't be ready/really good until jr/sr years in my opinion! Why not plan now for what will bridge that gap??

No.

Seriously lots of arguing exceptions around here. Yes, there are younger highly regarded transfers who found after one year that things were not going to work out, so they bolted for other opportunities and did well. Kustok, Troy Aikman, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Stidham, and Mayfield are examples of guys who did well.

But these guys were all highly rated (except Mayfield) to begin with. We have not landed a highly rated QB who did not come from Illinois since God knows when. The blue chip QBs who ignored NU as high school players don't strike me as guys who would opt to come here when so many other schools will vie for their services.

And for every successful transfer, there is a David Cornwell (Nevada), Tanner Lee (Nebby), Kyle Bolin (RU), Malik Zaire, etc. out there. It is not the panacea some of you are making it out to be.

Finally, I do not see Fitz as a guy who would easily turn over the reins to a transfer. Unless the staff is really down on Marty, Smith and Green, I have a hard time seeing the staff go this route.

Well I agree we are all on the speculation boat.....but it it interesting to try and problem solve knowing we have absolutely no idea....however let me pose a question...Do you think they will favor a qb who will be significantly involved in an increased running game or do you think they will favor the best throwing qb irregardless of ability to run....or something like Clayton Thorson...good arm,,some running ability ?

No.

Seriously lots of arguing exceptions around here. Yes, there are younger highly regarded transfers who found after one year that things were not going to work out, so they bolted for other opportunities and did well. Kustok, Troy Aikman, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Stidham, and Mayfield are examples of guys who did well.

But these guys were all highly rated (except Mayfield) to begin with. We have not landed a highly rated QB who did not come from Illinois since God knows when. The blue chip QBs who ignored NU as high school players don't strike me as guys who would opt to come here when so many other schools will vie for their services.

And for every successful transfer, there is a David Cornwell (Nevada), Tanner Lee (Nebby), Kyle Bolin (RU), Malik Zaire, etc. out there. It is not the panacea some of you are making it out to be.

Finally, I do not see Fitz as a guy who would easily turn over the reins to a transfer. Unless the staff is really down on Marty, Smith and Green, I have a hard time seeing the staff go this route.

There are not a lot of JUCO QB's who are waiting around for NU to call them, let alone be able to pass admissions.

A straight transfer like Zak Kustok would have to sit out a year, no?

A grad student transfer is the only viable option for next year.

I'll take our chances with Marty, Smith, or Green. I think that's a solid group, and hopefully one of those three emerges as the clear starter while Thorson is out.

I'm willing to take our chances with the guys we have as well. Remember, this is not some August injury where we have to throw someone to the wolves. Not only might Thorson be able to return this fall, but he definitely will NOT be able to return this spring, so Marty, Green, and Smith will all have the opportunity to practice with the first team. I suspect we're standing pat, and by this summer it's clear who the top guy is.

There are not a lot of JUCO QB's who are waiting around for NU to call them, let alone be able to pass admissions.

A straight transfer like Zak Kustok would have to sit out a year, no?

A grad student transfer is the only viable option for next year.

I'll take our chances with Marty, Smith, or Green. I think that's a solid group, and hopefully one of those three emerges as the clear starter while Thorson is out.
NU has had some JC guys come in and play. Does Tim(?) Hughes ring a bell?

Reactions: DaCat
NU has had some JC guys come in and play. Does Tim(?) Hughes ring a bell?

Good one willy. I'll give you this one. Tim was not hugely successful, but nonetheless a legitimate QB for the Cats.

(Former) UK QB Drew Barker has announced his intention to transfer somewhere else for his 5th season:

Barker transferring

He played a few plays in the bowl game when Stephen Johnson was shaken up.

(Former) UK QB Drew Barker has announced his intention to transfer somewhere else for his 5th season:

Barker transferring

He played a few plays in the bowl game when Stephen Johnson was shaken up.

No offense, but a backup who lost his starting gig to Stephen Johnson doesn’t strike me as a guy who would immediately come in and compete at the B1G level.

No offense, but a backup who lost his starting gig to Stephen Johnson doesn’t strike me as a guy who would immediately come in and compete at the B1G level.
I totally get what you’re saying. Drew had kind of a star-crossed career at UK, which I won’t get into here. Speculation on the UK board is that he’ll move down to an FCS school or possibly a non-P5 program.

The only offense that Lees could run in college would be like a Navy/Army/Gtech type of running show. I saw Lees play qb in hschool and his arm wasn't feasible to play big time college games! I have always been one of his biggest fans though as a wr! He might be an allamerican next season if we get the right qb to pass to him!

Bait...

But, I'll resist this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT