ADVERTISEMENT

Wrigley 11:00 am Start Time

Bwm57

Sep 12, 2011
Well this pretty much ruins the last thing I was looking forward to for this year.

Well this pretty much ruins the last thing I was looking forward to for this year.
I’ve got a feeling it will be a very small crowd. Most people I know are not going.

I’ve got a feeling it will be a very small crowd. Most people I know are not going.
Purdue is on a roll, their fans will be there.

Also, it's a small stadium, still a bit of a novelty, and people have a thing about "sunk costs". They bought the tickets months ago, a lot of people will show up. Last time I checked the secondary market it was still hundreds for a ticket.

As for 11am (10am MST where I am), I am in the "let's get this over with" crowd. Purdue is hardly unbeatable, but I'm at a loss for optimism these days.

Purdue is on a roll, their fans will be there.

Also, it's a small stadium, still a bit of a novelty, and people have a thing about "sunk costs". They bought the tickets months ago, a lot of people will show up. Last time I checked the secondary market it was still hundreds for a ticket.

As for 11am (10am MST where I am), I am in the "let's get this over with" crowd. Purdue is hardly unbeatable, but I'm at a loss for optimism these days.
What a great thing to trade a home game for. It will be a wonderful opportunity for Purdue, one of our divisional rivals, to showcase their Chicago roots to potential recruits and fans.

What this cluster***k Phillips’s decision? Or Polisky’s?

Why not play a decent nonconference team there instead of one of our B1G rivals? Our leadership and decision making is a joke.

It's not just a baseball park, it's WRIGLEY FIELD!
Agreed. I gotta admit it looked really cool in 2010, even watching on TV. The Cubs are probably fleecing us, but I could support playing all games there during RF renovation. Have to coordinate with Cubs schedule, but it's only like 5 Saturdays plus groundskeeping time. It's not like the Cubs need it in Oct for the foreseeable future.

Maybe put some portable stands in that enormous gap between field and bleachers. then close that area that is nine miles from the playing field.

Agreed. I gotta admit it looked really cool in 2010, even watching on TV. The Cubs are probably fleecing us, but I could support playing all games there during RF renovation. Have to coordinate with Cubs schedule, but it's only like 5 Saturdays plus groundskeeping time. It's not like the Cubs need it in Oct for the foreseeable future.

Maybe put some portable stands in that enormous gap between field and bleachers. then close that area that is nine miles from the playing field.

Zero chance of playing at Wrigley Field full-time during the renovation. The “new” Wrigley Field can accommodate a full-size football field (even playing both directions!), but it involves removing the third base dugout and filling it in temporarily while removing some seating, etc.

Zero chance of playing at Wrigley Field full-time during the renovation. The “new” Wrigley Field can accommodate a full-size football field (even playing both directions!), but it involves removing the third base dugout and filling it in temporarily while removing some seating, etc.

Thanks for this - it looks great to me! and, the people in the right field bleachers can finally and definitively prove that "left field sucks"

I feel like we'll be stuck out in Dekalb for renovation or something else boring.

When the football field ran north south in the old days they installed extra bleachers in right field. They could do the same in left with the east west configuration.

I am guessing we will be playing at soldier field during the renovation. There really is no other choice.

I am guessing we will be playing at soldier field during the renovation. There really is no other choice.

Would require amendments to the Bears‘ agreement/lease with the City, but Pat Ryan could be of assistance there.

Frankly I think DeKalb is the most likely situation. I do wonder if SeatGeek could be reconfigured for football, but you’d run into scheduling issues with the MLS schedule.

Would require amendments to the Bears‘ agreement/lease with the City, but Pat Ryan could be of assistance there.

Frankly I think DeKalb is the most likely situation. I do wonder if SeatGeek could be reconfigured for football, but you’d run into scheduling issues with the MLS schedule.
".....issues with the MLS schedule"
The Fire left SeatGeek and are now playing at Soldier's Field.

I don't believe the lease has any restrictions other than for events by other professional leagues. I believe somewhere in the lease is that they're can't be another event less than "x" day prior to a Bears' game. This has led to a little heartburn scheduling Fire matches. If NU needs it for a year I have a feeling they would get scheduling priority over the Fire.

There's never been any indication that the Bears have complained when U of I/NIU/ND or any myriad of high schools have scheduled games there.

I will not be driving to DeKalb to watch the Cats. I will give up my season tickets for that year.

I will not be driving to DeKalb to watch the Cats. I will give up my season tickets for that year.
Ballsy. Giving up ST just before the start of a new, smaller stadium.

I live 1500 miles away so I can't accurately assess what it would mean to you, personally. Certainly it is more of a burden to Cats' fans living in Wilmette than it would be for those in Naperville.

Reactions: FeralFelidae

Nobody would. NU fans didn't even bother to drive to Rosemont for basketball. They'd be lucky to get 1000 NU fans to any game in DeKalb.

I doubt that would be “giving up” the tickets. More likely than not that the team would give folks a pass for the season or two where the team was forced to place elsewhere.

Ballsy. Giving up ST just before the start of a new, smaller stadium.

I live 1500 miles away so I can't accurately assess what it would mean to you, personally. Certainly it is more of a burden to Cats' fans living in Wilmette than it would be for those in Naperville.
It's actually probably a little faster for me to get to DeKalb.

Seems like Soldier would be most likely, since it is, kind of, like a football field.
if the Bears are really leaving the city it would make good business sense for them to cooperate with others to encourage other uses for the facility.
Yeah, I guess that sounds ridiculous.
Dekalb it is.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
I would definitely go to Dekalb for games, lots of tailgating space. I fear soldier field would be a ghost town. Like when IL played there.

FWIW, Dekalb and Evanston are about a horse apiece for me. I can't imagine NU would move their games all the way out there. It's going to be Soldier Field, Seat Geek, or play in Evanston with the construction going on around them.

FWIW, Dekalb and Evanston are about a horse apiece for me. I can't imagine NU would move their games all the way out there. It's going to be Soldier Field, Seat Geek, or play in Evanston with the construction going on around them.
ok, you're just horsing around with us now. Any option except for Boise State is a plane flight for me, although I do care that the team gets support during construction.

I predict that they make a stupidly inconvenient decision for the fans, like Allstate. Re Soldier Field, I've never been there, is the area between the transit stop and the stadium safe? I imagine there will be loads of parking because we won't draw flies. I also imagine the students will stay away in droves.

I'll channel my "inner Turk" and say keep the stadium the way it is and endow assistant coaching positions where this board gets to choose the coach.

I don't understand why NU is giving up Big Ten home games to play at Wrigley Field. I know they can't do it in early fall when the MLB season is ongoing, but I would think the best scenario for using Wrigley Field would be a year's where there is a non-conference game against a team from another region of the country. As it is, Wrigley Field may be giving home field advantage to some of the Big Ten visiting schools or it least making the crowd like at 50/50 split.

Can’t believe we are taking our sh*show to Ireland next year. Again we love not playing at home.

• Sad
Reactions: NUCat320
I don't understand why NU is giving up Big Ten home games to play at Wrigley Field. I know they can't do it in early fall when the MLB season is ongoing, but I would think the best scenario for using Wrigley Field would be a year's where there is a non-conference game against a team from another region of the country. As it is, Wrigley Field may be giving home field advantage to some of the Big Ten visiting schools or it least making the crowd like at 50/50 split.
Well most of the conference games played at Ryan Field feel like road games.

Reactions: JT2311
Purdue is down 52-17 to OSU with 25 minutes left.

Is there Glimmer of hope for us at Wrigley?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT