ADVERTISEMENT

Wrigley Field restoration slideshow

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I thought this might be okay to post here since who knows maybe we will play there again sometime in the future.

Link

Pretty amazing. Will generate lots of extra revenue via baars, foo courts, and lux boxes. Hope the product on the field is as good as the stadium amenities.

Can someone explain to me how the people who own the buildings got so much clout. I remember when I was a kid there would be people standing in the rooftops or sitting in lawn chairs. Now they have full blown bleachers and their right to view a game is protected in such a way that the owners of the stadium are restricted in how they can build? When I was a kid I thought it was sort of stealing to spy into the games without buying a ticket.

Originally posted by julescat:
Cubs ownership (prior regime) made some very stupid contracts.
Jules is right, Deering. I haven't obsessed over the details, but apparently a contract signed in 2004 and running through 2023 allows the rooftop owners, in essence, an unfettered view into the stadium in exchange for 17% of their revenues. There's a lot more to it, obviously, than that. But those are the basics, as I understand it. I'm sure some of our astute legal minds on the board can expand on this.

One of the charms of Wrigley has been that every once in a while a guy could really get ahold of one and knock it out on to Waveland Avenue. You could actually hit the ball out of the park. Guess now they can bounce it off the damn video board.

I wonder how much of the urine stench will be gone with the bleachers totally remodeled.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense to me. Perhaps a bad contract but a contract was signed.

deering, first I will state that I am not an astute legal mind but I have both heard and read that the contract also contains more then what the rooftop guys are proclaiming. There is also a clause that states that if the city council and more importantly the Landmark Commission OK's the revonovation plans then the unobstructed view provision is overridden.

Well, it is sure a different look than I remember in the 60's when there were just a couple of old duffers and a lady in a house dress standing on the roof.

Cheryl Kent wrote a scathing review of the design for the Chicago Tribune here.

Unfortunately, I think she got it right.

medill, unfortunately it is Cheryl who is living in the past. First, the artist renderings seem to both fit in with old Wrigley and greatly improve the area around Addison, Clark, Sheffield and Waveland. Secondly, the Boston model is a perfect fit for Wrigley, while all of the newer parks have entertainment areas surrounding their parks, Thirdly the Hotel is a great addition to both the neighborhood and for the convenience of visiting fans and finally the new amenities, washrooms, restaurants, and elevators are long, long overdue and the video boards and other signage are the sign of the times. They enhance the game day experience and bring in additional revenue that will help keep the team competitive. Wonder what Ms. Kent wrote about the "toilet bowl" that sits atop Soldier Field or that sterile park on the south side that is surrounded by block after block of concrete parking lots and sold out the historic Comiskey name to the Cellular Corporation.

I get the sense that these are new artist renderings. The dateline here is 20 months old. I have no idea if the comments are still relevant, but they are most decidedly not a reaction to the new images. (Not that you said they are, Medill.)

For what it's worth, as someone who knows very little about architecture and a fair amount about attending sporting events, I think I like what they're trying to do. It will be a successful experience if at least some of the bars/dining areas are 'public', versus 'private' (that is, only accessible with a club, suite, or newly-invented premium seat.'

Agree 320 and from what I heard some but not all will definitely be open the general public. Also worth noting that the Wrigley re-do is also being completed without tax payer financing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT