ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Burger King?

He got dinner for himself, his wife, his sister-in-law and his son for less than $20 bucks? He coulda left the change for a tip, getting dinner so cheap and still gone home feeling like he got a deal. If he's a Kellogg grad, we're in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
He got dinner for himself, his wife, his sister-in-law and his son for less than $20 bucks? He coulda left the change for a tip, getting dinner so cheap and still gone home feeling like he got a deal. If he's a Kellogg grad, we're in trouble.
I'm guessing his total was about $28 and he paid with a couple $20 bills.

I am not happy right now. I went to so much trouble to get out of the Big XII and into the Big Ten, away from mean old Texas. I am the only traditional power in the western division! I thought I would easily beat everyone in the conference, save for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, only to find out when I started to play Northwestern, they didn’t get the memo that they’re not supposed to win! I mean, they’re not supposed to win! WTF, Big Ten? Seriously?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm or deny you still have to "bag your own" at the BK across from the NU Bursar's office? Does anyone remember that? There was some silly Evanston ordinance back in the 80's that didn't allow the workers to bag the food, so if you wanted it to go, they handed you the bag to do it yourself!!

Reactions: phatcat and rmndcat
Corbi! Watch your language! It’s not BK’s fault there’s a change shortage due to the pandemic.

Can anyone confirm or deny you still have to "bag your own" at the BK across from the NU Bursar's office? Does anyone remember that? There was some silly Evanston ordinance back in the 80's that didn't allow the workers to bag the food, so if you wanted it to go, they handed you the bag to do it yourself!!
Nope. BK in the 2000s happily bagged it for you.

Reactions: rmndcat
Corbi! Watch your language! It’s not BK’s fault there’s a change shortage due to the pandemic.
BK is, you know, a corporation. Corporations have lots of money. Immune to the pandemic. Unless you were being /S. This guy is a cartoon character who represents 50% of America, who unfortunately found the Cat's knit hat Turk lost at the Trump rally.

WTF, Big Ten?
I am not happy right now.
I went to so much trouble to get out of the Big XII and into the Big Ten, in the easy-to-win western division. I thought I would easily beat everyone but Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, only to find out when I started to play Northwestern, they don’t know they’re not supposed to win! I mean, they’re not supposed to win!
WTF, Big Ten? Seriously?

You did? And you couldn't afford 20 bucks for your dinner for your family? Dust Bowl mentality.

Having eaten maybe hundreds of whoppers in a drunken stupor I can confirm that this was indeed true from at least 1982 until 1986. Pretty sure I skipped the bagging part most nights.

Having eaten maybe hundreds of whoppers in a drunken stupor I can confirm that this was indeed true from at least 1982 until 1986. Pretty sure I skipped the bagging part most nights.

I believe there’s a story (possible urban legend) of Francis Peay grabbing a microphone from behind the counter... 🤷‍♂️

In the early 90s, you had to bag your own. I believe Evanston had an ordinance banning "fast food" restaurants (defined as getting take out food in a bag apparently). Or it was about being open 24 hours... because I seem to remember the Taco Bell (that replaced the local Jim's Charbroil) doing bags. Or I can't just remember 25 years later.

Also true from 1993 to 1998.

Found this article in the Tribune:

"As the sign notes: ''A Local Evanston Ordinance Prohibits Us From Bagging Food.'' ''Before we put up that sign, we had a lot of complaints,'' explains franchise owner Shelly Friedman. ''People thought we were being lazy. We explained that we wanted to put their food in bags, but we were not allowed to.'' Indeed, under Evanston law, Burger King staffers who did put food into bags would be subject to fines of up to $500.

According to historians, the purpose of the ordinance was to head off a feared rush of franchisers to the suburb by drafting zoning regulations in a way that encouraged restaurants, a category that sees little bagging, but held the line against operations that trade with people who like a bit of paper around their food while carrying it for consumption elsewhere."

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
From 92 till 94 only BK was 24 hours. Taco Bell closed at midnight. For some reason you could get bagged food at Taco Bell but not at BK.

I only went to BK at like 3 am so my memory might be a little foggy, but that's what I recall.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and BFDCat
Yep. I remember. Now let’s get serious and talk about the Kona coffee and brownies at J.K. Sweets. Or, the food poisoning shut down at Yesterday’s?

Last edited:
Evanston had a law prohibiting fast food restaurants. The way the law was phrased made "bags your food for you" part of the definition of a "fast food restaurant". So BK, with (I was told) a little bit of subterfuge, opened the only BK restaurant in the world where you had to bag your own to-go orders.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
There used to be a sign when you entered Evanston.....It was a wagging finger with just the words NO...written sternly.
Who could forget the overriding influence of the Women's Christian Temperance Union? That name strikes me as four words, which by themselves are harmless, that make a formidable force when combined.

That went up around the time I graduated. The restaurant group was well known for their good quality steakhouses, and evidently the group used that reputation to get the permit to put up the city's first fast food chain. Yes, they couldn't bag your food because it was not initially permitted as a carry out restaurant. Pretty sure a Burger King would not have been approved at the time. Fun times in Evanston.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Thanks to all for the "bag your own" confirmations of the 80's and early 90's. And wow!! Even got a Yesterdays food poisoning mention too.

It was exciting to drive down to Howard street to have a couple beers, too. More so than bagging your own burger and fries.

Last edited:
I am not happy right now. I waited 15 minutes in line at the Burger King at Cass & Collins on the east side of Joliet. I was the only person in line. I order food for my wife, my sister-in-law and my son, only to find out when I pull up to the drive through they don’t have change for a twenty dollar bill! I mean they don’t have change!

What the f&@ Burger King?!? Seriously?!?

Went to the BK late at night too many times (all the way from North campus) during my time.

Hey, it was cheap and usually spent too much $$ drinking my way across bars in Chicago; the Sandwich guy (RIP) was a lot more convenient, but too pricey due to the constant need to fill my belly (looking back, wish had tried his sandwiches a few times).

It was no Buffalo Joe's (but that was too far away if one didn't drive).

Interesting enough, think I went to the McDonald's in Evanston just once, despite knowing the guy whose family owned that franchise and a bunch of others.

Last edited:
Went to the BK late at night too many times (all the way from North campus) during my time.

Hey, it was cheap and usually spent too much $$ drinking my way across bars in Chicago; the Sandwich guy (RIP) was a lot more convenient, but too pricey due to the constant need to fill my belly (looking back, wish had tried his sandwiches a few times).

It was no Buffalo Joe's (but that was too far away if one didn't drive).

Interesting enough, think I went to the McDonald's in Evanston just once, despite knowing the guy whose family owned that franchise and a bunch of others.
If i could get some buff Joe’s delivered to my house, game over!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT