ADVERTISEMENT

yep.

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
1. Whiskey was bigger, stronger , faster.
2. although we only lost a couple of guys ..they have not been replace at an equal level...3 guys in the NFL
3. For whatever reason the OLine play does not improve enough to let th offense work at an optimum level.
4. Still think we will win 7 games

1. Whiskey was bigger, stronger , faster.
2. although we only lost a couple of guys ..they have not been replace at an equal level...3 guys in the NFL
3. For whatever reason the OLine play does not improve enough to let th offense work at an optimum level.
4. Still think we will win 7 games

A 7 win season is delusional with OL field play similar to what we witnessed against Wisky. Yes, Wisky has high quality linemen, but NU's counterparts across the LOS are overwhelmed, over-matched and look over-incompetent. And, my friend, State Penn has better linemen. You'd better tighten your seat belt. This is gonna be one hellova bumpy ride

Last edited:
Reactions: 2388bb
We've played 2 legit P5 teams so far and our run game has been absolutely, positively brick-wall stymied in both. Until that changes, I have to ageee that 7 is a pipe dream.

Reactions: 2388bb
A 7 win season is delusional with OL field play similar to what we witnessed against Wisky. Yes, Wisky has high quality linemen, but NU's counterparts across the LOS are overwhelmed, over-matched and look over-incompetent. And, my friend, State Penn has better linemen. You'd better tighten your seat belt. This is gonna be one hellova bumpy ride

Let's review our remaining schedule, shall we?

1) PSU-- yup, I got nuthin
2) @ Maryland-- #55 Sagarin (we are #42)-so definitely a shot. They caught a Minny team that was completely flat (and probably a bit overconfident after 3 cupcake wins) on the road, where they have actually looked a lot better than they have at home. Minny probably didn't benefit from seeing little tape on Maryland's 3rd string QB as well. I think the winner of this game will be the one who emerges less beat up from the prior week's opponent (they play @OSU). But a 3rd strong QB is a 3rd string QB for a reason. Think we win a close one.
3) Iowa-- ahead of us at Sagarin but not by much (#34). Truly spit the bit on the road at MSU, and barely beat a pedestrian (at best) Iowa State team on the road as well. If the team that shows up against Penn State shows up, I think we have no chance, but that was at home. I like our chances hosting them; they are a team; despite the fact that they have a stud RB and LB, that ranks in the second half of nearly every offensive and defensive category in the BIG. Think we lose this one well, just because we aren't going to win every game than I think we will; have to account for a poor effort in at least one.
4) Michigan State #27 Sagarin , but really too soon to tell how good they are. Team was in total disarray in the offseason, so a total testament to Dantonio that they are in this position. Lost badly to ND (#10), but no shame in that. As it stands now, will be an uphill climb for us, but a lot can happen to both teams in a month. This one is a loss for me
5) @Nebby #45 Sagarin at present, but I think they will be a heck of a lot lower by the time we play them. Rutgers and Illinois are the cure for what ails a lot of teams, but Riley is absolutely a lame-duck coach, and they typically do not do well. Add to the fact that they have a ton of fundamental issues on both sides of the ball for which there is a lot of tape, and I think they will struggle to win vs. anyone not named Illinois and Rutgers (which is now everyone). I think that they will be riding a three game losing streak coming in (Wisky, OSU, and yes, even @ Purdue), and that we will make it four in a row
6) Purdue at #62 Sagarin at present, but I think they will be higher when they come ot play us, and possibly even on a three game winning streak (@ Rutgers, Nebby, Illinois). This might be the make-or-break game for seven wins, and I think it wlll be tough, but I am predicting that Purdue will already be bowl eligible at this point (they also play Minny), and we will be fighting to be bowl eligible. In addition, their weakness (worse pass defense in the BIG) plays to our strength. Think we pull this out,
7) Minny-- on paper, should be a competitive game (#44 Sagarin), but losing to Maryland at home exposed a ton of weakness (as bad as Nebby or perhaps worse), again on both sides of the ball. Think that the off-season turmoil will catch up them by the time they play us, and they will be a team playing out the string vs. us (I only see wins vs. the Illini and mabye Nebby for them the rest of the season). In addition to the glaring weaknesses that they have,, unlike Nebby, they commit a ton of silly penalties (the mark of a team without discipline) and other silly mistakes. We win this one easily.
8) Illinois -- #96 Sagarin, and they have looked worse that that. Think we hang another 50 on them.

In sum, If we can get out of Penn State without too many injuries, there is not a single team on our remaining schedule where we are likely to be a significant underdog (and one where we will probably be a prohibitive favorite). With the talent that we have, and given the fact, that I believe we have actually made improvement in each of the last two games, I am optimistic that we can win at least 7 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT