ADVERTISEMENT

Yes I'll complain about the officiating

wildcatcoaster

Oct 27, 2003
We were tight in the second half and much damage was self-inflicted. And they need to learn to play with the lead. Glimpses of brilliance. etc. etc.

That said, there is no team in the big ten who gets a lower percentage of the "50-50" calls from the refs or has a worse foul shot discrepancy.... particularly at home.

Reactions: ricko654321
We were tight in the second half and much damage was self-inflicted. And they need to learn to play with the lead. Glimpses of brilliance. etc. etc.

That said, there is no team in the big ten who gets a lower percentage of the "50-50" calls from the refs or has a worse foul shot discrepancy.... particularly at home.

i said this in my post as well. 2nd half officiating sees the cats in the hole almost every game

Two guys jumping for the rebound.

Neither guy jumping at each other.

One guy gets it.

End of play and play on?

No. Whistle against NU (Kopp).

Total B.S.

Reactions: drewjin
OK, so there's often an NU thing with officials. The Cats historically suck so they don't get the calls that some teams get. I've learned to live with that unfortunately. It's part of the basketball payback local fans must make for all the years Jordan received calls that really screwed other teams.

However, in recent years, I've always thought Collins has too big a mouth and gets dinged for it by the refs.

This year CC has chilled out his sideline act. But do you think consistently bad calls are the result of that reputation despite his change?

Anyhow, I think there's a few factors including our overanalysis.

OK, so there's often an NU thing with officials. The Cats historically suck so they don't get the calls that some teams get. I've learned to live with that unfortunately. It's part of the basketball payback local fans must make for all the years Jordan received calls that really screwed other teams.

However, in recent years, I've always thought Collins has too big a mouth and gets dinged for it by the refs.

This year CC has chilled out his sideline act. But do you think consistently bad calls are the result of that reputation despite his change?

A real mouthy coach = Underwood.

I think if you are not as good at basketball, all the factors that go into playing basketball, that is: speed, agility, jumping ability, strength, anticipation, court awareness, team play, following instructions, etc., are also not as good, and this in my opinion leads to more fouls. Referees are mostly human and can probably be negatively influenced by whiny or foul-mouthed players and coaches, and therefore another part of being good at basketball is not acting that way.

I don't think the refs are biased against NU. Honestly. And, I thought Maryland played stand up basketball. No chippiness at all.

I believe refs try to get it right and in doing so too often insert themselves into the game. Play on if it's close.

I also believe they struggle with close in/post play. It is possible for an offensive player to create contact with his arms on a shot when the defensive player goes straight up. I think the NCAA has legislated out good officiating judgement, attempted to legislate in precision which is impossible....and the game has suffered.

For years I thought NU was on the wrong end of lots of calls because, honestly, our players were lesser athletes (reaching, grabbing, etc.)

Collins has closed that gap.

I guess I'd like to see fouls and free throws home and away compared to other conference teams. Across 12-15 games it could indicate something (with lots of provisos re type of defense, etc.).

This year CC has chilled out his sideline act.
That is my perception as well. Collins also seems to be calmer in dealing with screw-ups by the players during the game. I think this is a good thing.

Reactions: Pasadena Bound
I don't think the refs are biased against NU. Honestly. And, I thought Maryland played stand up basketball. No chippiness at all.

I believe refs try to get it right and in doing so too often insert themselves into the game. Play on if it's close.

I also believe they struggle with close in/post play. It is possible for an offensive player to create contact with his arms on a shot when the defensive player goes straight up. I think the NCAA has legislated out good officiating judgement, attempted to legislate in precision which is impossible....and the game has suffered.

For years I thought NU was on the wrong end of lots of calls because, honestly, our players were lesser athletes (reaching, grabbing, etc.)

Collins has closed that gap.

I guess I'd like to see fouls and free throws home and away compared to other conference teams. Across 12-15 games it could indicate something (with lots of provisos re type of defense, etc.).

Maryland was walking all over the place last night and it was never called. Catch a pass, shuffle both feet, anchor a pivot foot, jab step with one foot and then move the other foot again without dribbling. No calls.

Boo gets hit with an intentional foul, which they removed upon review, after Ryan Young gets laid out in midair and somehow avoids serious injury when both his back and head smash across the floor. Just a common foul on that one.

Jones is set outside the circle when a Maryland guard, completely out of control, plows into him while trying to throw a pass in the other direction. Foul on Jones.

Ayala drives toward the paint, feels Spencer coming from behind, does the head-toss flop thing back into the same direction Spencer was coming from. Foul on Spencer.

Kopp gets dropped to the floor after a clean rebound, turns to start dribbling up court, gets tripped, loses the ball. No call. Maryland scores.

Young goes up for a rebound, whichever Maryland big, maybe Smith (who ended up playing with foul trouble in the second) goes over his back, Young can't hold onto the rebound as a result, ball goes out of bounds, no call. Maryland ball.

All of these things happened in the first 10 minutes of the second half, when we still had an 8-14 point lead and were scoring just fine. Sure, the last few minutes they're hitting every free throw and raining 3s, but all of the above are multiple possessions, opportunities for free throws piling up, points taken away from us, when we had been dominating the game from the opening tip. Think about: the Terps shot almost 30 free throws in a game where they took more than 30 3s! They had a single 2-point made field goal in the first 30 minutes or so of the game! We were outscoring them in the paint (obviously) by about 20 points for most of the game! And yet there's a 20-25 FTA disparity...in favor of the other team?

I'll also note that nearly all of these calls were from one official, who I didn't recognize. At one point Collins pretty calmly went over to DJ Carstensen, a solid referee, to plead his case, and the dude came over to put his maw in Collins' face.

We're not able to close games, and there are plenty of things we could have done better. But all of this stuff was clear the whole second half, and it's what put Maryland in a position to get hot and pull away at the end.

It’s well documented that home teams get calls. Unfortunately, NU doesn’t often have home crowds.

Reactions: Sec.112
It’s well documented that home teams get calls. Unfortunately, NU doesn’t often have home crowds.

yeah, curious about the home and away fouls over time

another missed call was when a Maryland player picked up his pivot foot before he dribbled....two refs near him...no call

I don't think that was bias....just lousy officiating

As I proposed elsewhere, refs are humans. They respond to crowds whether they want to or not. They'd probably instinctually prefer to make the call that gets the crowd cheering rather than booing and cussing. At NU, there isn't a rabid crowd to boo and cuss when they make calls against the Cats. What I'm saying is we need more swearing!!

Maryland was walking all over the place last night and it was never called. Catch a pass, shuffle both feet, anchor a pivot foot, jab step with one foot and then move the other foot again without dribbling. No calls.

Boo gets hit with an intentional foul, which they removed upon review, after Ryan Young gets laid out in midair and somehow avoids serious injury when both his back and head smash across the floor. Just a common foul on that one.

Jones is set outside the circle when a Maryland guard, completely out of control, plows into him while trying to throw a pass in the other direction. Foul on Jones.

Ayala drives toward the paint, feels Spencer coming from behind, does the head-toss flop thing back into the same direction Spencer was coming from. Foul on Spencer.

Kopp gets dropped to the floor after a clean rebound, turns to start dribbling up court, gets tripped, loses the ball. No call. Maryland scores.

Young goes up for a rebound, whichever Maryland big, maybe Smith (who ended up playing with foul trouble in the second) goes over his back, Young can't hold onto the rebound as a result, ball goes out of bounds, no call. Maryland ball.

All of these things happened in the first 10 minutes of the second half, when we still had an 8-14 point lead and were scoring just fine. Sure, the last few minutes they're hitting every free throw and raining 3s, but all of the above are multiple possessions, opportunities for free throws piling up, points taken away from us, when we had been dominating the game from the opening tip. Think about: the Terps shot almost 30 free throws in a game where they took more than 30 3s! They had a single 2-point made field goal in the first 30 minutes or so of the game! We were outscoring them in the paint (obviously) by about 20 points for most of the game! And yet there's a 20-25 FTA disparity...in favor of the other team?

I'll also note that nearly all of these calls were from one official, who I didn't recognize. At one point Collins pretty calmly went over to DJ Carstensen, a solid referee, to plead his case, and the dude came over to put his maw in Collins' face.

We're not able to close games, and there are plenty of things we could have done better. But all of this stuff was clear the whole second half, and it's what put Maryland in a position to get hot and pull away at the end.
The ref you didn't recognize is Robert Riley, he's called 13 of our games over the past 5 seasons, including the Hartford game this year.

As I proposed elsewhere, refs are humans. They respond to crowds whether they want to or not. They'd probably instinctually prefer to make the call that gets the crowd cheering rather than booing and cussing. At NU, there isn't a rabid crowd to boo and cuss when they make calls against the Cats. What I'm saying is we need more swearing!!

Someone is at least heckling the players. After Garza, it was Smith, yesterday, making the Sssshhhhhh sign.

The ref you didn't recognize is Robert Riley, he's called 13 of our games over the past 5 seasons, including the Hartford game this year.

Thanks. I'd prefer not to see him again, because he was terrible, even down to making emphatic calls in favor of Maryland every single time, even when we were up big. The other two just blew their whistles and moved on, but not that clown.

We do not have a vocal crowd and tend to not get the normal home court advantage. I think many of the current fouls called against us tend to be because we are pretty young inexperienced and not yet strong enough against more mature teams. Yes we get the short end but some of it is at least somewhat understandable

I do and am immediately told to not express my displeasure

Reactions: TheC

Don't forget when the MD guard put his shoulder into Buie and no call

Sorry but the one that react that way most is my better half. I cannot win that one.
Aha... sorry man! No... please don't tell your better half to **** off. That simply won't do. :D

Sorry but the one that react that way most is my better half. I cannot win that one.
I curse and yell and stomp around loud enough at home during games such that you guys can probably hear me in Evanston. At least that's what my better half thinks.

I'm sure that surprises no one on here......

Reactions: GatoLouco
College officiating in general has gone down the crapper. It’s really bad and often DOES decide the game with the petty fouls that are called.

this is so true. we should start tracking this. i want to say it was 9-1 or 9-2 with foul calls in the second half, and i think they had double bonus before we had regular bonus. while it wasn't as bad i think the IU game was similar to start the second half. changes the entire feel of the game.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
Citation needed.

Reactions: Gladeskat and TheC

Great post. Now I’m mad.

Reactions: DaCat

Yeah this is a nice list. The Jones block call outside the circle I thought was the worst, but I also noticed a couple of the rebounding ones you mentioned. Also the O foul called on Buie / not called the other way was a ridiculous combo.

They evened up the fouls / FTs after the lead had already been blown and MD was ahead, which was kind of just annoying at that point.

While on one-off situations you could probably justify most of the calls they made, the fact that nearly all the 50/50 calls went one direction for the first ~12 minutes of the half, and they were able to close the gap.

During a stretch from 48-39 NU lead to 65-61 MD lead (26-13 run), they scored 12 of their 26 points on FT's (12 more from 4 3's, and one 2). At that point fouls were 11-4 on the half, they ended 14-8. At that point they were 13-15 from FT on the half and we were 2-2. They finished 17-19 and we finished 5-6 in the half.

Great post. Now I’m mad.

Could have joined me from the 200s as it was happening. My buddies and I were screaming bloody murder, for all you out there who think no one's in the building making a ruckus.

Good news is, it's the first game in a while where it was worth getting upset. Felt like something legit was riding on it. We had fun doing it. Didn't make it any less absurd.

Could have joined me from the 200s as it was happening. My buddies and I were screaming bloody murder, for all you out there who think no one's in the building making a ruckus.

Good news is, it's the first game in a while where it was worth getting upset. Felt like something legit was riding on it. We had fun doing it. Didn't make it any less absurd.
Thank you for your service!

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT