ADVERTISEMENT

You know you are a real UT fan if...

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
1. You got through the birth of your first child and your daughter's wedding without showing emotion but tears roll down your cheeks whenever you hear the phrase "Its football time in Tennessee."
2. You own a pair of orange pants.
3. Bonus points if you regularly wear the orange pants.
4. Double bonus points if you wore them to your cousin's wedding.
5. You know at least 5 people between the ages of 20 to 23 named Peyton.
6. If you have a child between the ages of 20 and 23 who is not named Peyton, then turn in your orange pants.
7. You have had a long and heated argument with a major automobile manufacturer over why orange is not one of their base colors.
8. You are glad that Butch Jones keeps his weight down as you hate it when people say that your coach looks like a pumpkin on television.
9. You get unreasonably angry whenever you hear the name Woodson.
10. Bonus points if you get just as angry when you hear the name Hornung.
11. Your biggest rival is Florida... unless it is Alabama... unless it is Florida... unless it is Alabama... as long as it is not Vanderbilt. Oh please... for all that is decent and holy... not Vanderbilt.
12. You have gotten really tired of explaining to people that "No, we don't have to pay Purina for the rights to use our end zones."
13. You have had a discussion with your wife that it should not bother her if the carpeting, wallpaper, curtains, and bedcoverings in your bedroom are all orange. Her eyes are closed when she is asleep anyway.

1. You got through the birth of your first child and your daughter's wedding without showing emotion but tears roll down your cheeks whenever you hear the phrase "Its football time in Tennessee."
6. If you have a child between the ages of 20 and 23 who is not named Peyton, then turn in your orange pants.
7. You have had a long and heated argument with a major automobile manufacturer over why orange is not one of their base colors.
8. You are glad that Butch Jones keeps his weight down as you hate it when people say that your coach looks like a pumpkin on television.
11. Your biggest rival is Florida... unless it is Alabama... unless it is Florida... unless it is Alabama... as long as it is not Vanderbilt. Oh please... for all that is decent and holy... not Vanderbilt.
12. You have gotten really tired of explaining to people that "No, we don't have to pay Purina for the rights to use our end zones."
13. You have had a discussion with your wife that it should not bother her if the carpeting, wallpaper, curtains, and bedcoverings in your bedroom are all orange. Her eyes are closed when she is asleep anyway.

My name is Peyton and so is my younger brother's

Guess you could say we are #VFLs

Reactions: curtis b.

Triple bonus points if you were the

Triple bonus points if you were the groom at your cousin's wedding.

You and your brother are both named Peyton? Wasn't that confusing?
You see Peyton named his son, Peyton Jr, but since he married his mom, his son is also his brother so Peyton Sr and Peyton Jr are both father and son and brothers. I know family bushes are confusing, but try to keep up.

Okay Barney, all that Purple, your mascot is Barney. Barney is not a wildcat.

Able to recite Rocky Top and Power T on every thing from cars to lawn. do more research.
Oh yeah you are going to learn that song too, that is if you have tickets to the game. Probably sold them to a VOL fan.

You see Peyton named his son, Peyton Jr, but since he married his mom, his son is also his brother so Peyton Sr and Peyton Jr are both father and son and brothers. I know family bushes are confusing, but try to keep up.
Oh i bet even you like peyton.

You and your brother are both named Peyton? Wasn't that confusing?
Oh okay i see you all remember Peyton, I don't remember anyone from your team. You do remember the QB that beat that ass. like your daddy, you remember him too.

Oh yeah you are going to learn that song too, that is if you have tickets to the game. Probably sold them to a VOL fan.

Gotta admit that banjo has a deliverance feel. Not bad, but the lyrics are abysmal.

I wish that I was on old Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top
Ain't no telephone bills

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top
Half bear the other half cat
Wild as a mink but sweet as soda pop
I still dream about that

Rocky Top you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good old Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee Rocky Top Tennessee

Once two strangers climbed old Rocky Top
Looking for a moonshine still
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Reckon they never will

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top
Dirt's too rocky by far
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
Get their corn from a jar

I've had years of cramped up city life
Trapped like a duck in a pen
All I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again

How can this be a school song? Hilarious

Here is one for you, What is the name of the QB that played for TN and he beat your ass. Peyton, yes that is his name. Remember..

Yes
Gotta admit that banjo has a deliverance feel. Not bad, but the lyrics are abysmal.

Ain't no telephone bills

I still dream about that

Home sweet home to me
Good old Rocky Top

Reckon they never will

Dirt's too rocky by far

Can't be simple again

we think it is funny too. Oh! it is not the School song.

Ain't no telephone bills

I still dream about that

Home sweet home to me
Good old Rocky Top

Reckon they never will

Dirt's too rocky by far

Can't be simple again

Most of the song is dedicated to moonshine and killing federal agents. Who doesn't think that's awesome?

I didn't know anything about Northwestern, so I did a little research. I know the Internet is filled with errors, so I wanted to fact check. Are any/all of these true?

1. Northwestern gave up the biggest comeback in Div 1 history (according to ESPN) less than a decade ago?

2. Northwestern holds the Div 1 record for most losses in a row (34 consecutive losses).

3. In 2013, they won the Gator Bowl. May not seem like a big deal to most, but that was their first postseason win since 1949. Seriously, here is their bowl history:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_history_northwestern.html

4. Up until July, 2012, Northwestern held the record for most Div 1 losses. Of any team. Ever.

5. (From an article on Grantland): "Northwestern's undergraduate campus is in Evanston, which is not Chicago. Evanston is where people in Chicago go to buy spray paint. Evanston is where we take our parents to brunch once we're sick of Wicker and Lincoln Park. It is not Chicago. Evanston is historically uptight, had major roots to the temperance movement, and remains so high-strung it banned bowling alleys* (NOTE: this might actually just be a Chicago urban legend. DOESN'T MATTER, GONNA PUBLISH ANYWAY) . Just what Chicagoland needed, a little slice of Provo, just outside the city. THANKS GUYS."

6. A little off topic, but Northwestern has never made the NCAA Tourney in basketball.

Are all of these correct?

Reactions: curtis b.
I didn't know anything about Northwestern, so I did a little research. I know the Internet is filled with errors, so I wanted to fact check. Are any/all of these true?

1) True. In our defense, our coach was a newbie (previous coach had died just before the season started, not our fault), and did some odd things that year.
2) FBS record. Columbia holds the record for FCS, which is also technically "Division I". Duke was closing in our record a few years ago, until they beat ... guess who.

As far as The Streak goes: Hey, if YOUR administration went out of their way to kill your football program, what would happen? Never hire senior administrators from the U. of Chicago, unless you have an athletic deathwish. Just don't do it.
3) True. Note that, until the early 1970's, only one Big Ten team went to a bowl each year. We finished 7-2 and were briefly ranked #1 in 1962, but couldn't go to a bowl.
4) That sounds odd. Nobody was playing CFB in July, so how could the numbers have changed?
5) Evanston is indeed a strange place, but it's less strange than it used to be. When I was an undergrad, there was a Burger King just off campus that was the only BK in the world where the staff wouldn't bag a "to-go" order; customers had to bag their food themselves. That was because Evanston refused to zone the property for a "fast food" restaurant, and part of the legal definition of "fast food" involved an establishment that would bag to-go orders for customers.
6) Correct. Northwestern has the same problem in basketball that Vandy has in football; you have to be extremely good just to get to the middle of our conference. We may get there in a year or two; we have an excellent coach.

One thing you didn't mention is that our women's basketball team is knocking on the door of the top 10 right now, and our women's lacrosse team won 7 national championships between 2005 and 2012.

Reactions: ahw1182

1. Northwestern gave up the biggest comeback in Div 1 history (according to ESPN) less than a decade ago?

2. Northwestern holds the Div 1 record for most losses in a row (34 consecutive losses).

3. In 2013, they won the Gator Bowl. May not seem like a big deal to most, but that was their first postseason win since 1949. Seriously, here is their bowl history:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_history_northwestern.html

4. Up until July, 2012, Northwestern held the record for most Div 1 losses. Of any team. Ever.

5. (From an article on Grantland): "Northwestern's undergraduate campus is in Evanston, which is not Chicago. Evanston is where people in Chicago go to buy spray paint. Evanston is where we take our parents to brunch once we're sick of Wicker and Lincoln Park. It is not Chicago. Evanston is historically uptight, had major roots to the temperance movement, and remains so high-strung it banned bowling alleys* (NOTE: this might actually just be a Chicago urban legend. DOESN'T MATTER, GONNA PUBLISH ANYWAY) . Just what Chicagoland needed, a little slice of Provo, just outside the city. THANKS GUYS."

6. A little off topic, but Northwestern has never made the NCAA Tourney in basketball.

Are all of these correct?
Basically correct. I was at the game where we set the record for most consecutive losses. The Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) which was a major player in Prohibition was headquartered in Evanston and was still in existence when I went to school from 1978 to 1982. At that time, fast food was illegal. Fast food was defined as anything where someone packaged the food to go. Therefore, the one Burger King in town gave you your food and they had a table full of bags and you had to bag it yourself. Needless to say, the town was dry. You could BYOB to a restaurant but they could not sell alcohol to you.

Considering how gracious the NU fans have been to comment on my questions, I will do the same for the OP:

1. Not exactly correct, but close. The tears came when John Ward, the longtime Voice of the Vols and a truly great announcer retired from calling Tennessee football games. He announced his retirement at the beginning of the 1998 season, where Tennessee happened to win its first NC in over 40 years. His final call in the Fiesta Bowl against FSU was "The National Championship is clad in Big Orange". I would imagine tears were shed.

Separately, I have three young daughters. I suspect I will cry during at least 2 of the 3 weddings (for the eldest I will probably just say a silent prayer for the poor groom).

2. The prior coach (Derek Dooley) wore orange pants. He was a terrible coach, thus orange pants are not very well regarded. Orange Blazers, on the other hand, are still OK.

3. To give you an idea about how bad Dooley was, when College Gameday came to Knoxville, they actually had a story where they interviewed his tailor to discuss the orange pants. He was so bad, ESPN couldn't find a single interesting story to cover other than how his orange pants were made. Again, they are not well regarded.

4. Hmmm, cousins wedding and your wedding could be interchangeable, so difficult to answer. Either way, you wouldn't wear it to a wedding without the matching jacket - think dumb and dumber tux.

5. I wish this were less true, but there are more Peytons than one might prefer. Unfortunately, the name can be used for a boy or girl, so that probably doesn't help. If you have multiple kids, you end up with a George Foreman scenario.

6. It is your reponsibility to pull non-Peytons aside and ask if "they have heard the good news about Peyton" and ensure they receive a pamphlet. After that, it is up to them.

7. Orange is an excellent color. If you can't get a Bentley (or a 1985 Chevy Caprice) in that color, you should complain.

8. All kidding aside, this is true. The Fanbase has a fair number of pumpkins. We don't need another one on the sidelines to add to the jokes.

9. Carter G Woodson was an excellent historian who got his MA from the University of Chicago. Why would we feel anything negative towards him?

10. As it pertains to football and perceived slights, anger dies hard. A rip off, but I would guess there are plenty of people ahead of us in line with a reason to be mad at ND.

11. When you lose important games that prevent you from Championships (SEC or National), you find plenty of teams to hate. In the early 90s, some bad Alabama teams beat Tennessee when the Vols were quite talented. Once Tennessee got over that hump, UF jumped in to make our lives miserable.

Vandy is not a rival. They are an academic institution that provides bye weeks for needy SEC football programs. Their philanthropy is greatly appreciated by all in the SEC.

12. That hasn't been as big a problem with Boomer Sooner taking most of the flack for stealing the Chuck Wagon coach.

13. Not all of it is Orange. That would be tacky and embarrassing. We add white (and a little smokey grey) to the bedroom. Thus it is classy, refined and the perfect place to make sweet sweet love to our wife (and/or cousin).

Last edited:
Considering how gracious the NU fans have been to comment on my questions, I will do the same for the OP:
Dagley, thank you for the high quality response. I hope you were able to see that the intent of my original post was to appreciate the UT traditions and love for their team and in no way to denigrate them. I have lived most of my life in Tennessee and have had a multi-decade sparring contest with my many friend who are UT fans.

Of all of the traditions of the UT fans, the one that I personally consider the coolest is the love for the fans of Mr. Ward's game-opening phrase "Its football time in Tennessee." 16 years after he quit broadcasting for the Vols, I know of many, many UT fans that still will not watch the first game of the season until they have played a recording of Mr. Ward's familiar catchphrase.

As you may have noted, for various reasons we at NU do not have many traditions. There are traditions at other schools that we find kind of silly and there are others that we admire. This is one tradition that I in particular admire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT