ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Lujan needs to not call plays next game

Oklahoma fired their offensive coordinator (Seth Littrell) 7 games into his first season at that position.

He is an OU alum with 7 prior seasons as head coach at North Texas, which resulted in 6 bowl appearances (all losses).

Northwestern's OC has 2 years of FCS experience at that position with South Dakota State.
In 7 games at the FBS level he has established a pattern of terrible risk/reward decisions and largely ineffective play-calling.

Or am I being too harsh? (I suspect Braun is covering for Lujan by re-directing the criticism at himself)

Lujan hasn’t been good. IMO, Braun screwed up this up. No way in hell, Lujan throws a pass there with out being told by Braun to push the ball upfield for a potential end of the half score. If he sat silent while we had the ball, and no provided no direction, we have way worse problems at HC than anyone thinks.

Honestly, I am surprised we are debating this on this board. It’s simple, Braun effed up. It happens and he was man enough to take responsibility. He doesn’t need to protect Lujan from anyone, because there are only about 50 people ( and they are on this board) who even know his name.

Braun was sold on Lujan because he supposedly called plays tailored to his players skills. That theory goes by the wayside when players like Henning or porter are hurt.

Lujan hasn’t been good. IMO, Braun screwed up this up. No way in hell, Lujan throws a pass there with out being told by Braun to push the ball upfield for a potential end of the half score. If he sat silent while we had the ball, and no provided no direction, we have way worse problems at HC than anyone thinks.

Honestly, I am surprised we are debating this on this board. It’s simple, Braun effed up. It happens and he was man enough to take responsibility. He doesn’t need to protect Lujan from anyone, because there are only about 50 people ( and they are on this board) who even know his name.
That’s not really how it works. Braun doesn’t tell him to push the ball up the field unless it’s obvious that’s what they need to do eg. end of game situation.

More likely Lujan asked Braun if he wants him to run the clock out and Braun told him throw it if he wants to.

That doesn’t make it any less Braun’s fault as he should’ve told Lujan to run the clock out. But, the head coach doesn’t demand he push it down the field in that scenario because he hasn’t studied the opposing defense on film all week and doesn’t know near as much as the OC in that situation in regards to looks they’re seeing, plays they have that they like in that scenario etc.

There’s a reason the HC hires coordinators they feel they can trust.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Lausch has a lot more athleticism than Sullivan, that's already clear.

Maybe Sullivan will eventually have a nice season or seasons, but the guy who can't crack the starting job for Iowa is not short term panacea for anybody.
Thank you. If Sullivan was anything decent he would start over the “king of mid” McNamera. He’s not good.

Braun was sold on Lujan because he supposedly called plays tailored to his players skills. That theory goes by the wayside when players like Henning or porter are hurt.
He hasn’t really done this all year though (before any injuries). That’s my issue.

His offense is a spread, speed, run-centric/short pass. Bajakian’s was ‘12’ personnel, power run, play action pass. Those are the personnel we have and all we do now is pass. And pass with an inexperienced QB… it makes no sense. I’m lost with Lujan.

Oklahoma fired their offensive coordinator (Seth Littrell) 7 games into his first season at that position.

He is an OU alum with 7 prior seasons as head coach at North Texas, which resulted in 6 bowl appearances (all losses).

Northwestern's OC has 2 years of FCS experience at that position with South Dakota State.
In 7 games at the FBS level he has established a pattern of terrible risk/reward decisions and largely ineffective play-calling.

Or am I being too harsh? (I suspect Braun is covering for Lujan by re-directing the criticism at himself)
OU is loaded with talent. A little different expectation than coming in with zero proven QBs and a questionable O line with RBs dealing with injuries.

Welcome back Bob, that was a long trip. I was getting worried about you.

We are not winning. My point is we still would not have won with Sully at QB. It would not be enough to overcome lopsided losses. In fact, my belief is Lausch is better.

Heaven help us if Sully gets in and plays well against the Cats this week. Feral will get on the pulpit and give us a Joel Osteen homily on how NU ran off the best QB we had.
Still in the Red Sea but lots of nap times between dives.

He might not be wrong. Braun earned some leash last season. Lujan has earned nothing. Bugs me when people cowtow to a coach just because he was hired. I’ve made plenty of bad hires. Value of the employee is in the results.

Don’t mind being a developmental program for players but that requires not being a developmental program for coaches - that would be blind leading the blind.

That’s not really how it works. Braun doesn’t tell him to push the ball up the field unless it’s obvious that’s what they need to do eg. end of game situation.

More likely Lujan asked Braun if he wants him to run the clock out and Braun told him throw it if he wants to.

That doesn’t make it any less Braun’s fault as he should’ve told Lujan to run the clock out. But, the head coach doesn’t demand he push it down the field in that scenario because he hasn’t studied the opposing defense on film all week and doesn’t know near as much as the OC in that situation in regards to looks they’re seeing, plays they have that they like in that scenario etc.

There’s a reason the HC hires coordinators they feel they can trust.

I'm quite confident there was a situation in an earlier game where Lujan called an RPO on our ten yard line with time running out in the half and Lausch kept it and rolled before throwing an incomplete pass out of bounds, leaving time on the clock for our opponent after we punted. (I forget which game) Braun publicly criticized Lujan that time, saying we need to do a better job in situational play-calling.

A few games later against Wisconsin we did something even worse.

Thats rather alarming.

Last edited:
I'm quite certain there was an incident in an earlier game where Lujan called an RPO on our ten yard line with time running out in the half and Lujan kept it and rolled before throwing an incomplete pass out of bounds, leaving time on the clock for our opponent. (I forget which game) Braun publicly criticized Lujan that time, saying we need to do a better job in situational play-calling.

Thats rather alarming.
Lujan throwing a pass in any game at any time would be alarming.

I'm quite confident there was a situation in an earlier game where Lujan called an RPO on our ten yard line with time running out in the half and Lausch kept it and rolled before throwing an incomplete pass out of bounds, leaving time on the clock for our opponent after we punted. (I forget which game) Braun publicly criticized Lujan that time, saying we need to do a better job in situational play-calling.

Thats rather alarming.
Lujan is getting a free ride from Braun for the most part which is making me think he’s trying to protect given his age and relatively inexperience but sorry this is the big leagues… no time to baby him.

Lujan is getting a free ride from Braun for the most part which is making me think he’s trying to protect given his age and relatively inexperience but sorry this is the big leagues… no time to baby him.
I am withholding judgement on lujan until he starts qbs that he recruited. If j Obrien does come to nu as he has committed...I think he will make luhan look like a super genius

Reactions: corbi296
He is Braun’s JON.

Sometimes bad is bad. It LOOKED like NU was getting an OC that would make them more competitive. Many NU fans had stars in their eyes, as I did. Maybe Coach Braun still has stars in his eyes. If this is all Coach Lujan has, here's hoping it doesn't take Coach Braun two seasons to realize it.

Sometimes bad is bad. It LOOKED like NU was getting an OC that would make them more competitive. Many NU fans had stars in their eyes, as I did. Maybe Coach Braun still has stars in his eyes. If this is all Coach Lujan has, here's hoping it doesn't take Coach Braun two seasons to realize it.

When are people going to realize that it’s mostly about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and Os. Great talent can overcome bad coaching most of the time but a great coach is rarely enough to overcome a meaningful talent deficit.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
My issues with Lujan are all about the boneheaded decisions, where he actually hurts the team.
Those situational decisions are not being made without Braun’s blessing. You are going to get some of that from a young coaching staff like the one we have.

As the transition from Hankwitz to O'Neil so clearly showed.
That’s right. We had neither great talent nor a talent deficit on defense with either of those two coordinators. What that transition and the subsequent transition to Braun showed is that a very good coach can take a unit with average talent and make them look very good and that a very bad coordinator can make that same unit with average talent look very bad. About 75% players and 25% coaching.

PF had a long leash and could shoot someone on 5th Ave or hire the worst DC in the history of organized football and have no problems.

Hope Braun doesn’t think he has that kind of leash… I don’t remember him playing in the 95 team.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
When are people going to realize that it’s mostly about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and Os. Great talent can overcome bad coaching most of the time but a great coach is rarely enough to overcome a meaningful talent deficit.
And who chooses which jimmys and joes to bring in and to play?

That’s right. We had neither great talent nor a talent deficit on defense with either of those two coordinators. What that transition and the subsequent transition to Braun showed is that a very good coach can take a unit with average talent and make them look very good and that a very bad coordinator can make that same unit with average talent look very bad. About 75% players and 25% coaching.
No great talent? Could swear some of those guys got drafted or signed 🤷‍♂️

Based on that scenario, shouldn't the nos be flipped?

Based on that scenario, shouldn't the nos be flipped?
I’m trying to see how his logic explains Indiana. Especially after their QB change….

Regardless, I’d be happy to have their coaches and insignificance running our jimmies and joes right now…

I think you should stick to idiosyncratic basketball stat tabulations

I don't care what you think.
If you want to disagree with me, try stating your argument. Or copy somebody else's argument.

Lujan and Braun are not good at managing game situations. This is painfully obvious. Hopefully that changes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT