ADVERTISEMENT

zebras

d'son d

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2007
Now that there are 8 zebras for a game, it is incomprehensible to me that holding and QB late hits could go undetected, especially in the open field. The hit on CT after he slid...egregious! and two long runs by their QB happened because pursuit was literally held (up) while gaining ground. It drove us crazy ! If it occurred in the middle of the line (which seems to be caught regularly) that's one thing. But in wide open spacrs..wow! I hope our coaching staff sends the films to the league office (if that is what is done to correct these issues)

Reactions: Alvious
Was there any mention of where we got the refs for this game? B1G? MAC? It really seemed awful at times. I usually don't get too hung up on holding, but at one point there were Ball State linemen who literally had their arms around the necks of our d-linemen, like sleeper hold-style. Egregious would be putting it mildly.

The no-call when Thorson slid and got smacked well after he was on the ground was absurd. And he threw the bad pick on the next play, too. Would have changed a lot.

Was there any mention of where we got the refs for this game? B1G? MAC? It really seemed awful at times. I usually don't get too hung up on holding, but at one point there were Ball State linemen who literally had their arms around the necks of our d-linemen, like sleeper hold-style. Egregious would be putting it mildly.
I assume the refs were from the MAC, since that is how these assignments are usually handled. The holding calls can be pretty subjective but the late hit on Thorson should have been obvious. Anyone know from which coference the re-play official comes from?

It was a MAC crew.
Thought so but a bunch of us were at the post game tailgate and were wondering where the replay official comes from. MAC, another conference or a "imparcial" NCAA guy.

Last edited:
Was extremely unhappy with that late hit on CT. That's a point of emphasis going on 2+ years and this was an egregious case. Easily could have ejected that kid for targeting and launching too.
If we are going to support and love such a dangerous sport, we need the refs to be hyperprotective of these players. If I was evaluating that crew, the fact that the flag didn't come out immediately would probably prevent me from giving them any more games. It's a harsh line, but it has to be drawn.

On the other calls...not surprised that this was a MAC crew. We didn't get a single 50/50 call to go our away....of course they were close calls so they easily let them stand on review. Was almost surprised when we got that CJ catch...it was obvious and at the same time I had no faith that they would have "enough evidence" to overturn the shitty call on the field.

It was a MAC crew.

No wonder. Ball State got every questionable call in their favor, making it more difficult to overturn then to the correct call. The non-review on CJones catch in 4Q is quite unbelievable. Everyone watching TV saw an obvious catch on the main end zone replay angle which would've only taken a few seconds to see.

Fitz made a mistake there in not burning a time out. If he didn't want to burn a timeout he should have had the O run the play clock down to 0:01 to give them time to review.

Not just in our game but in most others I have seen this season, the hands to the face penalty is occurring frequently and often at the worst of times. I don't recall the circumstance but NU had this penalty called at a critical point. When I see the replays, 75% of the time it looks to me like the normal consequence of two large men pushing and shoving. I keep hearing it is a point of emphasis - not sure why - but it seems like one of those calls that can happen on any play - like holding.

The no-call when Thorson slid and got smacked well after he was on the ground was absurd. And he threw the bad pick on the next play, too. Would have changed a lot.
THat pick looked like miscommunication

A big one was the arm drag takedown of Gibson on one play.

THat pick looked like miscommunication

The hit on the slide was pretty obvious. The next play, the snap was horrible and CT never really tucked it away. He should have just fallen down rather than try to make something from a busted play. All they were doing at that point was running the clock to get to the half. They didn't need yardage.

Was extremely unhappy with that late hit on CT. That's a point of emphasis going on 2+ years and this was an egregious case. Easily could have ejected that kid for targeting and launching too.
If we are going to support and love such a dangerous sport, we need the refs to be hyperprotective of these players. If I was evaluating that crew, the fact that the flag didn't come out immediately would probably prevent me from giving them any more games. It's a harsh line, but it has to be drawn.

On the other calls...not surprised that this was a MAC crew. We didn't get a single 50/50 call to go our away....of course they were close calls so they easily let them stand on review. Was almost surprised when we got that CJ catch...it was obvious and at the same time I had no faith that they would have "enough evidence" to overturn the shitty call on the field.
He had two catches that went to review. Both ere catches but he only got one of them. Generally the replay official is from a different conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT