ADVERTISEMENT

And now we wait....and wait....

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
For word from the Mothership. Silence......

I do know that the athletic department and Fitz are well aware that the problems on offense may be coaching related, as well as of fan frustration with the past couple years, in spite of this year's 10-3 record.

But. A week after crushing us, Tennessee sends their DC packing. A week after being crushed, nothing from NU.

It's true that the Football Program owes us fans nothing, other than to produce a (hopefully) winning football team each fall. We are, though, paying customers, stake holders if you like. And, as such, it would be nice to know a bit more about the product we will be paying for next year, sooner than later. Maybe they're still trying to figure it out, but at least they could say they're still trying to figure it out. It is not as though everyone doesn't know there's a problem,for gosh sakes, it's the elephant in the locker room.

Stability vs. Stagnation

I know stability is a positive in recruiting and other parts of the game, but doesn't the coaching staff occasionally need new blood or someone with a different view of the game?

I believe the coaches convention is next week in San Antonio. If a move was to be made, I think it would have happened by now so that both sides could take advantage of networking the convention.

Didn't Fitz have a press conference last year at which he announced there would be no changes in the staff? When was that? What was the occasion?

Even at MN, Tracy Claeys fired the OC he worked alongside for like the last 15-20 years immediately after the regular season.

Even at MN, Tracy Claeys fired the OC he worked alongside for like the last 15-20 years immediately after the regular season.

Minnesota was a completely different situation, as they lost their head coach. Much more tumultuous that a team with a stable head coach coming off a 10-3 season. I truly believe that any controversy over McCall is manufactured on message boards. I haven't seen anything significant in the media saying any of our coaches are on the hotseat. I believe that it is possible the receivers coach could go, but would be extremely surprised if anyone beyond a position coach who was on a team that won a historic 10 games in 2 of the last 4 years gets fired.

Minnesota was a completely different situation, as they lost their head coach. Much more tumultuous that a team with a stable head coach coming off a 10-3 season. I truly believe that any controversy over McCall is manufactured on message boards. I haven't seen anything significant in the media saying any of our coaches are on the hotseat. I believe that it is possible the receivers coach could go, but would be extremely surprised if anyone beyond a position coach who was on a team that won a historic 10 games in 2 of the last 4 years gets fired.
I too don't have a clue if McCall should go. But there is no inherent logic in keeping coaches because because we we're coming off a 10-3 season. It is simply not the point. Our offense stunk, STUNK. And has for three solid years now. This is Colby territory. Had we had a better offense, even slightly better, we may well have run the table.

Didn't Fitz have a press conference last year at which he announced there would be no changes in the staff? When was that? What was the occasion?
I seem to remember a press conference or statement or something a few weeks after the final game last season. I bet Fitz goes through a season summary/review with Dr. Jim at which point they go over the issues of assistant coaches, goals for the offseason, next season, etc. Since the bowl game was just a week ago, then perhaps that happened this past week. Maybe something happens, or maybe nothing happens, but I think we'll hear one way or the other within the next few days. JMHO, of course.

Last edited:
The counter-argument here, as you know, is that the offense was dead last in the B1G in 2015, despite the team winning 10 games. The previous two seasons weren't much better, and even in 2012, with V. Mark at RB and the two-headed monster at QB, our offense was just middle of the pack in the conference. I think the goal needs to be to have a top-ranked offense which is average in "bad" years, not an average offense in "good" years and a terrible one the rest of the time. If our defense can be at or near the top of the B1G, then why can't we expect the same thing from our offense?

Given that we were in a bowl game this year, I think the post season evaluations and discussions are all pushed back relative to last year. Usually announcements about coaching changes don't happen until after signing day (February 3rd) even though privately these decisions may already have been communicated. I'd be disappointed if we stay with the status quo because, if so, I think we will be having these exact discussions next year just like we had last year.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Looks like Fitz and Phillips met last year on Monday Dec 15th 2014 per Teddy's article on Dec 20th stating there would be no coaching changes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-fitzgerald-jim-phillips-20141220-column.html

That would be just over 2 weeks after the Illinois debacle.

That was 2 weeks after the last game of the season. Maybe we need to wait 2 weeks after the last game of this season, which was the Tennessee debacle.

One can hope at least.

Phillips hopefully has a pulse on things and can tell Fitz what's up.

I believe the coaches convention is next week in San Antonio. If a move was to be made, I think it would have happened by now so that both sides could take advantage of networking the convention.
Don't think so. A lot of un-employed coaches make their way to the convention in hopes of landing a gig. There is lots and lots of lobbying and recruiting for jobs at these type of things. That being said, I don't expect any moves for NU, although it's pretty obvious that new and enthusiastic changes in the staff is needed.

Phillips hopefully has a pulse on things and can tell Fitz what's up.

I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, here is what one highly regarded 2017 recruit had to say about NU:

Miranda says the Wildcats have the early lead in his recruitment.

"The coaching stability. Two of the schools that have offered me are dealing with coaching changes right now. I don't want to deal with that. I want to go somewhere where they have stability. Along with the fact that they won 10 games this season and had a great year in the Big Ten."

Reactions: hoosboot

"The coaching stability. Two of the schools that have offered me are dealing with coaching changes right now. I don't want to deal with that. I want to go somewhere where they have stability. Along with the fact that they won 10 games this season and had a great year in the Big Ten."

Oh, I totally get that we could be hurt in recruiting with the change. But, so what? That's da breaks kid. You wanna get better, you maybe have to take a punch. Got to slice the blister before the pus can come out and the wound be cleaned and subject to heal.

Of course, you were one of the guys who wanted us to keep Carmody - partly for the same reason. Well, we did lose Jaren Sina. But, we gained Law, MacIntosh, and the rest that have followed. I'd say the benefit of a change and opportunity to heal can be far greater than whatever short term cost.

Yeah but are we sure he's talking about coordinators? I could imagine another recruit saying "I love the stability, but I love even more that Fitz isn't satisfied with 10 wins and 3 blowout losses and wants to improve and is willing to make tough changes to do so"

Changing one or two coaches is not necessarily a sign of instability.

Looks like Fitz and Phillips met last year on Monday Dec 15th 2014 per Teddy's article on Dec 20th stating there would be no coaching changes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-fitzgerald-jim-phillips-20141220-column.html

That would be just over 2 weeks after the Illinois debacle.
From that article:
Phillips and coach Pat Fitzgerald huddled Monday for the start of what the athletic director called a “360-degree evaluation” of the program. The first conclusion: Fitzgerald will have his entire coaching staff return, even though Northwestern’s offense finished 12th in the Big Ten in scoring (23 points per game) and 13th in yards per play (4.5). Phillips said he asked Fitzgerald some of the same questions fans and media have regarding a lack of player development.

So in 2014, we were 12th in the B1G in scoring, and in 2015 we were last (14th), at 19.5 ppg. We were also last in total yards per game. What is Dr. Jim's "360-degree evaluation" going to turn up this year?

What gets me the most is that I feel Fitz insults our intelligence when he says that winning is the only stat that matters and that the offense just needs to be more "consistent". Give me a break. We won a lot of close games this year, and if our offense continues to struggle next year, we may be on the losing end of more games. I'm not going to say we were lucky, but what happens if CT doesn't get that long TD run against Stanford, or Lowry doesn't pick off that screen pass against Duke, or we don't get those calls against Wisconsin? A better offense gets us more breathing room in close games. And our offense has been bad for three seasons now, so can't just blame it on a RS frosh QB. Our WRs have been underperforming for years now. What does Fitz have to say about that?

Last edited:
Oh, I totally get that we could be hurt in recruiting with the change. But, so what? That's da breaks kid. You wanna get better, you maybe have to take a punch. Got to slice the blister before the pus can come out and the wound be cleaned and subject to heal.

Of course, you were one of the guys who wanted us to keep Carmody - partly for the same reason. Well, we did lose Jaren Sina. But, we gained Law, MacIntosh, and the rest that have followed. I'd say the benefit of a change and opportunity to heal can be far greater than whatever short term cost.
Don't seem to recall recruiting being hurt when Colby was asked to leave and was replaced by Doc.

From that article:
Phillips and coach Pat Fitzgerald huddled Monday for the start of what the athletic director called a “360-degree evaluation” of the program. The first conclusion: Fitzgerald will have his entire coaching staff return, even though Northwestern’s offense finished 12th in the Big Ten in scoring (23 points per game) and 13th in yards per play (4.5). Phillips said he asked Fitzgerald some of the same questions fans and media have regarding a lack of player development.

So in 2014, we were 12th in the B1G in scoring, and in 2015 we were last (14th), at 19.5 ppg. We were also last in total yards per game. What is Dr. Jim's "360-degree evaluation" going to turn up this year?

What gets me the most is that I feel Fitz insults our intelligence when he says that winning is the only stat that matters and that the offense just needs to be more "consistent". Give me a break. We won a lot of close games this year, and if our offense continues to struggle next year, we may be on the losing end of more games. I'm not going to say we were lucky, but what happens if CT doesn't get that long TD run against Stanford, or Lowry doesn't pick off that screen pass against Duke, or we don't get those calls against Wisconsin? A better offense gets us more breathing room in close games. And our offense has been bad for three seasons now, so can't just blame it on a RS frosh QB. Our WRs have been underperforming for years now. What does Fitz have to say about that?
I'm pessimistic that we will see any significant improvement in the offense next year unless appropriate changes are made (from the outside not able to see in, I don't know what those are exactly). If that is to be the case, that's four straight years of bum offense--the entire college career for the class that came in four years prior. How could that help us?

Don't seem to recall recruiting being hurt when Colby was asked to leave and was replaced by Doc.

I allowed it as a possibility. I don't think we would be hurt if Springer were canned, or even McCall. If we landed someone much better, it ought to help.

I allowed it as a possibility. I don't think we would be hurt if Springer were canned, or even McCall. If we landed someone much better, it ought to help.
My philosophy is, if you have a persistent problem, do "something." Don't just do nothing. That may seem simplistic, but simply shaking things up a bit often is the catalyst to improvement.

Actually, I think NU should make some changes, and have said so for 2 years. I just thought it interesting that a recruit would recite the NU recruiting pitch verbatim.

Glad to see that you haven't let go of the Carmody crap though.....

I'm pessimistic that we will see any significant improvement in the offense next year unless appropriate changes are made (from the outside not able to see in, I don't know what those are exactly).

Me too. Seeing Fitzgerald all smiley in the interview room after NU got the crap kicked out of them in the Outback leads me to believe he doesn't get it, and that 2016 will look pretty much like the last few seasons of offensive futility.

I'm pessimistic that we will see any significant improvement in the offense next year unless appropriate changes are made (from the outside not able to see in, I don't know what those are exactly). If that is to be the case, that's four straight years of bum offense--the entire college career for the class that came in four years prior. How could that help us?
If Fitz doesn't make any changes, then I'd like to hear him explain how things will be different next year. My recollection is that teams started pressing our WRs with man coverage back in 2012. It was the Nebraska game at home that year in which Pelini had his DBs play tight man coverage, and it worked very effectively. Siemian ended up 15 of 35 passing, for 116 yards. There really weren't any open receivers most of the game, and he got a lot of pressure from the pass rush. That set the blueprint for opposing teams' defenses, and here we are 3-1/2 years later still debating about what the problem is. Defenses dare our WRs to beat them in man coverage. We couldn't do it three years ago, and we still can't do it. More of the same in 2016?

Actually, I think NU should make some changes, and have said so for 2 years. I just thought it interesting that a recruit would recite the NU recruiting pitch verbatim.

Glad to see that you haven't let go of the Carmody crap though.....

Yeah, that Carmody crap is super hard to let go. I try, but I just can't forget.

My recollection is that teams started pressing our WRs with man coverage back in 2012. It was the Nebraska game at home that year in which Pelini had his DBs play tight man coverage, and it worked very effectively. Siemian ended up 15 of 35 passing, for 116 yards. There really weren't any open receivers most of the game, and he got a lot of pressure from the pass rush. That set the blueprint for opposing teams' defenses, and here we are 3-1/2 years later still debating about what the problem is. Defenses dare our WRs to beat them in man coverage. We couldn't do it three years ago, and we still can't do it. More of the same in 2016?

Excellent point and Bacher brought it up in his article. Seems like we would have a game plan to attack this? But we only have a fraction of our playbook?

"The problem on the perimeter, according to Bacher, is that teams are playing man defense against the Wildcats and receivers aren’t able to beat it and force them into a zone. That, in turn, handcuffs offensive coordinator Mick McCall’s play calling because only a fraction of his offense is designed to go against a man-to-man defense."

Excellent point and Bacher brought it up in his article. Seems like we would have a game plan to attack this? But we only have a fraction of our playbook?

"The problem on the perimeter, according to Bacher, is that teams are playing man defense against the Wildcats and receivers aren’t able to beat it and force them into a zone. That, in turn, handcuffs offensive coordinator Mick McCall’s play calling because only a fraction of his offense is designed to go against a man-to-man defense."
Facepalm. Like losing a chess match in three moves. Can you imagine the conversation:

McCall: "Well, I don't know what to do, because they're playing man defense against us and my offense isn't designed to go against that."

Fitz: "I think we just need to be more consistent on offense".

McCall: "Yeah, sure, sounds good".

The fans: "UPDATE YOUR SCHEMES ON OFFENSE TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE AGAINST MAN DEFENSE! ADD SOME MORE PLAYS TO THE PLAYBOOK! COACH YOUR TALENTED GROUP OF RECEIVERS ON HOW TO EXPLOIT IT!"

I don't know if McCall needs to be replaced or if that would help a NU passing attack but it's very troubling, if true that his playbook has very few options against a man to man D. That fact, if true needs to change, maybe as soon as today. Fitz?

Facepalm. Like losing a chess match in three moves. Can you imagine the conversation:

McCall: "Well, I don't know what to do, because they're playing man defense against us and my offense isn't designed to go against that."

Fitz: "I think we just need to be more consistent on offense".

McCall: "Yeah, sure, sounds good".

The fans: "UPDATE YOUR SCHEMES ON OFFENSE TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE AGAINST MAN DEFENSE! ADD SOME MORE PLAYS TO THE PLAYBOOK! COACH YOUR TALENTED GROUP OF RECEIVERS ON HOW TO EXPLOIT IT!"

If it is true that only a fraction of the playbook is designed for man D, we got bigger problems than I thought. All of us schmucks have a pretty good idea of how we are going to be defended, we at least need a better plan to counter and shouldn't have our playbook neutralized just by what the opposition does.

I don't know if McCall needs to be replaced or if that would help a NU passing attack but it's very troubling, if true that his playbook has very few options against a man to man D. That fact, if true needs to change, maybe as soon as today. Fitz?

No, your post is a distortion. His playbook is not designed for receivers who can't break M2M coverage. What offense is?

If it is true that only a fraction of the playbook is designed for man D, we got bigger problems than I thought. All of us schmucks have a pretty good idea of how we are going to be defended, we at least need a better plan to counter and shouldn't have our playbook neutralized just by what the opposition does.

His offense is ineffective when his receivers are so crappy that they can't break M2M. It's not M2M coverage itself. If they could break M2M coverage, the defense would switch to zone and we'd eat them up that way. In a past article, C.J. even told a great story about Iowa trying to run M2M on us and how he and McCall carved them up.

Yes. I remember that game. And I think you're right. It is very frustrating as a fan to watch us make the same mistakes over and over again and never seem to learn.

I'm hoping that Fitz hires you guys to run the offense because you obviously have it all figured out. You know, since you can so readily recognize the mistakes and have learned how to fix them.

Good for you. NU needs to get the message. And the thing is, you can still go to all the games (or at least the ones that interest you) and save a huge chunk of change buying tickets on the secondary market. Phillips needs to put a better product on the field if he expects fans to pay top dollar for a seat they could just as easily buy on the cheap.

What's a better product, NJ? Is it a better offense? Is it a more entertaining day? Is it winning football games?

They certainly did the latter and I've always heard from people on the board here that we'll get better attendance when we win. So, do we now have to win with a high-scoring offense? Or would we be content being Texas Tech?

What's a better product, NJ? Is it a better offense? Is it a more entertaining day? Is it winning football games?

They certainly did the latter and I've always heard from people on the board here that we'll get better attendance when we win. So, do we now have to win with a high-scoring offense? Or would we be content being Texas Tech?
I'd settle for AN offense.

If he was a Defensive player and the change was on the O side of the ball, I doubt he would see it as instability. Even if he as on the O side of the ball and a position coach not associated with him was changed, unlikely he would be saying anything about coaching stability. No if it was the OC, definitely.

Our OC has been successful in the past and was creative in doing so. Our WR situation (as well as a Frosh QB) definitely constrains anything that he can do. When our WRs consistently fail to break man coverage and drop balls, his play book gets pretty limited and predictable. Therefore, I see no change coming to the OC position at this time.

WR coach on the other hand really has not shown any success. Therefore, his position, at least, should be in jeopardy.

For those that think nothing will happen, maybe you are correct. But to date, we have not heard no coaching changes like we heard last year.

as a consolation prize, a friend bet me a pizza (a good one) that Fitz would make coaching changes. I think there is about as much chance of getting struck by lightning as Fitz making any changes, so I am looking forward to the pizza.

To that point, the lack of offensive production isn't lost on recruits. They may see it as beneficial.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT