ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching this Illinois game?

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
MSU's best player has 8pts and 8 tos and it makes the entire team look terrible. Just like Law and us...

I don’t think he’s wrong sadly. They have a few stud recruits coming in. If Ayo stays, they will finish towards middle of BIG next year IMO. Lot of athletes.
Hard to see Ayo leaving. He's improving but is no way NBA ready, and D League or whatever its called now isn't as attractive as playing in the B1G.

Reactions: Akeehn0912
Hard to see Ayo leaving. He's improving but is no way NBA ready, and D League or whatever its called now isn't as attractive as playing in the B1G.
We agree. I just saw recently he’s got a first round grade (21) in a mock draft. So I guess it depends.

Well, they've won 3 of their last 4 including wins over 2 ranked teams. They have a young team with 2 highly rated bigs coming in next year and no significant losses assuming Ayo stays. Why do you think they are not in better shape than NU who are losing their best 2 players??

Reactions: IGNORE
Nice win, but Michigan St. is playing as bad as anyone in the BIG right now, including us. The loss of Langford appears to be catching up to them. Tough to win any game with 24 turnovers (!) but they almost did, since Illinois was bad enough to cough up a 14 pt lead. But other than four minutes in the second half MSU played, as the announcers put it "off the rails" bad...

Well, they've won 3 of their last 4 including wins over 2 ranked teams. They have a young team with 2 highly rated bigs coming in next year and no significant losses assuming Ayo stays. Why do you think they are not in better shape than NU who are losing their best 2 players??
Ayo's not staying with that draft grade. And they've lost the equivalent of a mid-level BIG team in transfers over the last three years, a trend that is unlikely to suddenly cease.

Nice win, but Michigan St. is playing as bad as anyone in the BIG right now, including us. The loss of Langford appears to be catching up to them. Tough to win any game with 24 turnovers (!) but they almost did, since Illinois was bad enough to cough up a 14 pt lead. But other than four minutes in the second half MSU played, as the announcers put it "off the rails" bad...
I just can’t agree with this. NU is in for a tough year or two IMO. I hope I’m wrong but I will be surprised if the team is better next year than this year.

I just can’t agree with this. NU is in for a tough year or two IMO. I hope I’m wrong but I will be surprised if the team is better next year than this year.
We'll see. I have this strange knack for being correct. It has earned me two screennames. Just lucky I guess...or maybe I know just a little bit about college basketball. Nah, can't be that...

Yeah, they are getting better and NU is going backwards. We MAY beat them later this year because they aren’t all that. However, barring defections there is no way we will be predicted to finish above them in 2019-2020. This coming from a guy who can’t stand the pompous Illinois fans almost as much as Mike Webb. We have work to do in Basketball.

At least, we’ll continue to dominate them in football like we have the last 2 decades. It will be even more fun now when they are puffy chested over recruits and transfers.

minutes:

both teams 7 man rotations. (illinois has a guy at 11 for #8)

MSU - 37, 37, 34, 31, 23, 20, 14
ILL - 33, 32, 30, 25, 23, 19, 19

Yeah, they are getting better and NU is going backwards. We MAY beat them later this year because they aren’t all that. However, barring defections there is no way we will be predicted to finish above them in 2019-2020. This coming from a guy who can’t stand the pompous Illinois fans almost as much as Mike Webb. We have work to do in Basketball.

At least, we’ll continue to dominate them in football like we have the last 2 decades. It will be even more fun now when they are puffy chested over recruits and transfers.
They'll have a lot of players to replace next year, as they did last year and the year before. Underwood has a far quicker hook than even Collins, and it definitely rubs players the wrong way. And their best player will likely be going pro...And another stud player has already been suspended this year for failing TWO drug tests in a single season. And, etc. etc.Not the most stable of environments over there, and a terribad in-game coach (albeit an excellent recruiter) does not help matters...

Even with their wins of late, their season ended as early as anyone's in a Power-5 conference this season, and the will have to go 6-2 down the stretch (very unlikely to happen with 5 Quad 1 games remaining) to even equal last year's win total, when they had a roster in nearly complete disarray. Does not seem like tremendous progress to me...
"

Last edited:
They'll have a lot of players to replace next year, as they did last year and the year before. Underwood has a far quicker hook than even Collins, and it definitely rubs players the wrong way. And their best player will likely be going pro...And another stud player has already been suspended this year for failing TWO drug tests in a single season. And, etc. etc.Not the most stable of environments over there, and a terribad in-game coach (albeit an excellent recruiter) does not help matters...
"
I just think after each of our last couple of weeks, now is not the time to bash them.

Hahaha WHAT????

This goes beyond even all of your previous rationalizations. MSU is playing as bad as anyone in the B1G, including us? What do you think the spread should be us vs them on a neutral court if we played tomorrow? I laughed out loud.

None of us like IL but you don’t need to make up completely ridiculous things to try to defend your comparison of us vs them.

We'll see. I have this strange knack for being correct. It has earned me two screennames. Just lucky I guess...or maybe I know just a little bit about college basketball. Nah, can't be that...
Do you really? You’re wrong a decent amount too. I recall you telling everyone that we were pretty much guaranteed to beat Illinois and they sucked right before we lost to them (I think two games!) in the tournament season. I recall earlier this year you said Rutgers was the worst team in the conference. I recall you saying that Brohm was for sure going to Louisville and that Purdue fans were delusional. I recall you saying that in football this year Illinois was just atrocious and far worse than anyone else aside from Rutgers, right until they beat Minnesota. Then the same was true of Minnesota right until they... whoops. I mean it’s cool, we are all wrong plenty, but chill dude.

If I were doing general analysis, it seems your schtick is generally to take whatever game happened most recently and say that is the absolute truth and extrapolate it with near or total certainty. Unless it relates to Northwestern, then there is a different reaction function. If bad, then make up a rationalization to explain why it doesn’t matter, or something. If good, then loudly proclaim your brilliance.

Even with their wins of late, their season ended as early as anyone's in a Power-5 conference this season, and the will have to go 6-2 down the stretch (very unlikely to happen with 5 Quad 1 games remaining) to even equal last year's win total, when they had a roster in nearly complete disarray. Does not seem like tremendous progress to me...
"
You're completely uninformed on what's going on in our locker room. Ayo won't leave unless he's a lottery pick - which is unlikely. We may have a couple transfers, but part of that is a guy that may never be able to play basketball again and one is a guy that may leave because he got passed over. Sorry.

Look, I'm no Illini fan, but you need to live in reality a little bit. The Illini have played the 2nd hardest schedule in the country per Kenpom, and yeah, they've got lit up quite a bit this year. They also have 3 Tier A wins, while we have 0. Their offense can put the ball in the basket, while ours has forgotten how to do so.

We are close to hitting our worst offensive performance under CCC, which was in his first year, and even then that year's team had 4 Tier A wins and had 3 conference games with better offensive outputs than our best this year. That team scored more than 1 PPP in 5 games, we've done it once in the IU game. Meanwhile our last three offensive performances are the 97th, 101st and 106th best performances out of 109 in the CCC era. We haven't won a single game this year when an opponent has scored more than 1 PPP.

The last time we went through a full season without a Tier A win was the 2008 team that went 8-22, 1-17. Sure, there's probably 7 more opportunities to get one and currently an 85% chance that we'll win at least one, but I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that MSU is playing as bad as us or that Illinois is not in a better shape than we are. Things are pretty bleak at the moment.

Do you really? You’re wrong a decent amount too. I recall you telling everyone that we were pretty much guaranteed to beat Illinois and they sucked right before we lost to them (I think two games!) in the tournament season. I recall earlier this year you said Rutgers was the worst team in the conference. I recall you saying that Brohm was for sure going to Louisville and that Purdue fans were delusional. I recall you saying that in football this year Illinois was just atrocious and far worse than anyone else aside from Rutgers, right they beat Minnesota. Then the same was true of Minnesota right until they... whoops. I mean it’s cool, we are all wrong plenty, but chill dude.

If I were doing general analysis, it seems your schtick is generally to take whatever game happened most recently and say that is the absolute truth and extrapolate it with near or total certainty. Unless it relates to Northwestern, then there is a different reaction function. If bad, then make up a rationalization to explain why it doesn’t matter, or something. If good, then loudly proclaim your brilliance.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Look, I'm no Illini fan, but you need to live in reality a little bit. The Illini have played the 2nd hardest schedule in the country per Kenpom, and yeah, they've got lit up quite a bit this year. They also have 3 Tier A wins, while we have 0. Their offense can put the ball in the basket, while ours has forgotten how to do so.

We are close to hitting our worst offensive performance under CCC, which was in his first year, and even then that year's team had 4 Tier A wins and had 3 conference games with better offensive outputs than our best this year. That team scored more than 1 PPP in 5 games, we've done it once in the IU game. Meanwhile our last three offensive performances are the 97th, 101st and 106th best performances out of 109 in the CCC era. We haven't won a single game this year when an opponent has scored more than 1 PPP.

The last time we went through a full season without a Tier A win was the 2008 team that went 8-22, 1-17. Sure, there's probably 7 more opportunities to get one and currently an 85% chance that we'll win at least one, but I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that MSU is playing as bad as us or that Illinois is not in a better shape than we are. Things are pretty bleak at the moment.
Maybe a W down Urbana way will be the Wildcats Tier A win! You think?

"

I don't see them having the same type of roster turnover. They lose two meh seniors. For the most part the players they lost last offseason were leftovers from the Groce era they wanted to show the door so they could quicken the pace of culture change OR guys that wanted to transfer because they had recruited better options. For example the PG Lucas kid was now going to be behind 3 better players in Ayo, Frazier, and Feliz. The roster is now basically all kids Underwood wants. Sure there are a few development types like Kane, but they've already got two better kids than him joining next season.

Personal opinion I think the state of the Illinois program reached the low point and now it is solidly on the way up. Underwood is close to having a deep bench and when that happens his style of play will be tough on many teams.

Have no idea what tier A is, but by my count they only have two Quad 1 wins; vs. an MSU team playing about as badly as any BIG team right now, and a Maryland team that also played fairly terrible vs. them (21 turnovers!). They also have a brutal Quad 4 loss (Florida Atlantic) and 2 Quad 3 losses (Georgetown, which featured some of the worst in-game coaching I have ever witnessed, Missouri). By contrast, as bad as we have been, we have zero Quad 3 OR Quad 4 losses. They most likely will lose more games than they did last year, when they had worse players. They had one of their stud recruits suspended for TWICE failing a drug test this season, and they play a style of offense that is not remotely suited to their personnel because their stubborn coach insists on fitting a round peg into a square hole. Does that sound like a program that is on the rise to you?

You're completely uninformed on what's going on in our locker room. Ayo won't leave unless he's a lottery pick - which is unlikely. We may have a couple transfers, but part of that is a guy that may never be able to play basketball again and one is a guy that may leave because he got passed over. Sorry.

You are inside the locker rooms and are posting inside info on a message board about it? Won't that get you in trouble? How many transfers out did you have the last three years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT