ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching this Illinois game?

Have no idea what tier A is, but by my count they only have two Quad 1 wins; vs. an MSU team playing about as badly as any BIG team right now, and a Maryland team that also played fairly terrible vs. them (21 turnovers!). They also have a brutal Quad 4 loss (Florida Atlantic) and 2 Quad 3 losses (Georgetown, which featured some of the worst in-game coaching I have ever witnessed, Missouri). By contrast, as bad as we have been, we have zero Quad 3 OR Quad 4 losses. They most likely will lose more games than they did last year, when they had worse players. They had one of their stud recruits suspended for TWICE failing a drug test this season, and they play a style of offense that is not remotely suited to their personnel because their stubborn coach insists on fitting a round peg into a square hole. Does that sound like a program that is on the rise to you?
You see things how you want to see them, but in reality, that offense that is "not remotely suited to their personnel" has scored more than 1 PPP 6 times in their last 7 games. Also, this Penn State loss will absolutely become a Quad 3 loss by the end of the season and we still have zero Quad 1 wins.

You see things how you want to see them, but in reality, that offense that is "not remotely suited to their personnel" has scored more than 1 PPP 6 times in their last 7 games. Also, this Penn State loss will absolutely become a Quad 3 loss by the end of the season and we still have zero Quad 1 wins.
If, you've watched the Illini, and you think that they are winning games because they have an excellent offensive scheme that is well suited to their players, then I just don't know what to say. Not even their fans say that. And I have a feeling we will have at least one Quad 1 win by season's end. And, even without single quad 1 win, we STILL have a higher NET ranking than Illinois, and we're not good. So what does that make Illinois? You seem to have a lot of love for an 8-15 team...

That hurts. It's like I didn't know that our team was full of young guys that didn't gel until recently.

I'll take my 8-15 record with tons of upside and youth. 3 top 30 Kenpom wins in 10 days this late in the season is a good indicator of the future.
Add in this and another 4 star big, and I think we'll be ok.

Last edited:
That hurts. It's like I didn't know that our team was full of young guys that didn't gel until recently.

I'll take my 8-15 record with tons of upside and youth. 3 top 30 Kenpom wins in 10 days this late in the season is a good indicator of the future.
Add in this and another 4 star big, and I think we'll be ok.

Ok, you like the upside, go back to your board now.

Amazing how you guys only pop up in here when you perceive sunshine and rainbows.

Have no idea what tier A is, but by my count they only have two Quad 1 wins; vs. an MSU team playing about as badly as any BIG team right now, and a Maryland team that also played fairly terrible vs. them (21 turnovers!). They also have a brutal Quad 4 loss (Florida Atlantic) and 2 Quad 3 losses (Georgetown, which featured some of the worst in-game coaching I have ever witnessed, Missouri). By contrast, as bad as we have been, we have zero Quad 3 OR Quad 4 losses. They most likely will lose more games than they did last year, when they had worse players. They had one of their stud recruits suspended for TWICE failing a drug test this season, and they play a style of offense that is not remotely suited to their personnel because their stubborn coach insists on fitting a round peg into a square hole. Does that sound like a program that is on the rise to you?

Dude, we all know you hate Illinois, but don't let your hatred for them get in the way of some common sense. I'm not fan of Illinois, but let's look at things logically instead of emotionally. A few things:

1) Don't you think the fact that teams are consistently having high turnovers games against Illinois has something to do with the Illinois defense, which puts a lot of pressure on ball handlers and is aggressive in cutting off passing lanes? Just because a team has a lot of turnovers, doesn't mean they played bad- it can have something to do with the defense too.
2) Yes, MSU has lost three in a row, including losses to Indiana and Illinois, but don't even pretend for a second that they are playing as bad as anyone in the conference right now. Okay, they've lost a few in a row and aren't playing their best ball. But they still are playing much better than several other teams, including our beloved Wildcats.
3) Illinois is a young team that has played hard all year long. They had some tough close losses earlier in the season, but it seems they are finally figuring out how to win close games. If I am a bubble Big Ten team, they are not a team I would want to play right now. A young team with a good amount of talent that is playing with a lot of confidence. That's a scary matchup for any team that needs a must win.

I warned you not to keep hating on U of I because what goes around comes around. We're worse than they are right now, because they've gotten better and we've been playing worse as teams realize we don't have ball handlers and penetrators.

Dude, we all know you hate Illinois, but don't let your hatred for them get in the way of some common sense. I'm not fan of Illinois, but let's look at things logically instead of emotionally. A few things:

1) Don't you think the fact that teams are consistently having high turnovers games against Illinois has something to do with the Illinois defense, which puts a lot of pressure on ball handlers and is aggressive in cutting off passing lanes? Just because a team has a lot of turnovers, doesn't mean they played bad- it can have something to do with the defense too.
2) Yes, MSU has lost three in a row, including losses to Indiana and Illinois, but don't even pretend for a second that they are playing as bad as anyone in the conference right now. Okay, they've lost a few in a row and aren't playing their best ball. But they still are playing much better than several other teams, including our beloved Wildcats.
3) Illinois is a young team that has played hard all year long. They had some tough close losses earlier in the season, but it seems they are finally figuring out how to win close games. If I am a bubble Big Ten team, they are not a team I would want to play right now. A young team with a good amount of talent that is playing with a lot of confidence. That's a scary matchup for any team that needs a must win.
I don’t like the Fighting Undies either, but I don’t think we will beat them in our next game. You never know because they are wildly inconsistent, but we will be dogs.

NU talking trash to them right now in BBall is akin to the Fighting Lovie’s talking trash to NU about their spectacular Football program.

Reactions: StratCat84
I warned you not to keep hating on U of I because what goes around comes around. We're worse than they are right now, because they've gotten better and we've been playing worse as teams realize we don't have ball handlers and penetrators.
Uh, when our football team lost to Akron, some posters were saying that we were worse than Illinois as well. As you can see by what happened after that, such point-in-time are are fairly meaningless. You are what your record says you are. And they are 8-15.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I don’t like the Fighting Undies either, but I don’t think we will beat them in our next game. You never know because they are wildly inconsistent, but we will be dogs.

NU talking trash to them right now in BBall is akin to the Fighting Lovie’s talking trash to NU about their spectacular Football program.
It has zero relationship, imo. For it to be related, the Fighing Lovie's woul have to have a better record than us in football, since we currently have a better record that Illinois in basketball, which has been the case for some time.

It has zero relationship, imo. For it to be related, the Fighing Lovie's woul have to have a better record than us in football, since we currently have a better record that Illinois in basketball, which has been the case for some time.
Well they just beat Maryland and MSU, two teams that spanked us handily. You have now accomplished what I thought was impossible, PPD giving the Fighting Undies some credit. I will now go and bang my head against the wall as punishment.

Well they just beat Maryland and MSU, two teams that spanked us handily. You have now accomplished what I thought was impossible, PPD giving the Fighting Undies some credit. I will now go and bang my head against the wall as punishment.
If the MSU team that played the Illini had bedn the same oned that showed up vs. us, we woul have beaten them as well. There's a reason why Indiana''s only victory in thwir last 9 games is vs. MSU. And the Maryland win in NYC while decent (Maryland played terribly as well, coughing up a 12 pount lead in a turnover fesr) does not offset losses to a terrible Forida Atlantic team or some other teams that are worse than Penn State, which is our worst loss...So no need to punish yourself; just don't defend them! If recency bias were a thing, Penn State would be a fairly stellar team, having very nearly gotten two Quad 1 road wins in a row in playing one of the best BIG games of the year vs. OSU on Thursday...

If the MSU team that played the Illini had bedn the same oned that showed up vs. us, we woul have beaten them as well. There's a reason why Indiana''s only victory in thwir last 9 games is vs. MSU. And the Maryland win in NYC while decent (Maryland played terribly as well, coughing up a 12 pount lead in a turnover fesr) does not offset losses to a terrible Forida Atlantic team or some other teams that are worse than Penn State, which is our worst loss...So no need to punish yourself; just don't defend them! If recency bias were a thing, Penn State would be a fairly stellar team, having very nearly gotten two Quad 1 road wins in a row in playing one of the best BIG games of the year vs. OSU on Thursday...
This is the last time I am going to do this, but recency bias is a thing with a young team. They are showing some fight and their red ass Coach finally stopped playing his son and a couple of others. I still think he is a bozo and screwed up with THT recruitment, but he did find a International kid ranked in the 300’s who is playing better than our Freshman.

You can’t cite the other teams as always playing awful when a team wins. If the Fighting Undies happen to play their 2 best games while the other team is terrible, more power to them. Why does a Big Ten team never play awful against us? What Big Ten loss do they have that is worse than our home loss to a team that has not won another conference game? Who cares about their Florida Atlantic loss when they have no shot at the Tourney? Horrible, yes, but zero impact on their Big Ten season. Not much different than our horrible loss to Akron in football. That loss had no impact on us winning the West or a win wouldn’t have kept us in the playoff picture. They are what they are, embarrassing losses, but you move on. NU football did an exceptional job at that. I really thought the Undies might have packed it in after their embarrassment, to their credit they didn’t.

I admire your unwavering faith in NU and your loathing of the Fighting Undies. However, there is a time and a place to stir this perceived rivalry pot and right now is not it.

Why is it that teams keep having good performances against us and having bad performances against other teams?

This is the last time I am going to do this, but recency bias is a thing with a young team. They are showing some fight and their red ass Coach finally stopped playing his son and a couple of others. I still think he is a bozo and screwed up with THT recruitment, but he did find a International kid ranked in the 300’s who is playing better than our Freshman.

You can’t cite the other teams as always playing awful when a team wins. If the Fighting Undies happen to play their 2 best games while the other team is terrible, more power to them. Why does a Big Ten team never play awful against us? What Big Ten loss do they have that is worse than our home loss to a team that has not won another conference game? Who cares about their Florida Atlantic loss when they have no shot at the Tourney? Horrible, yes, but zero impact on their Big Ten season. Not much different than our horrible loss to Akron in football. That loss had no impact on us winning the West or a win wouldn’t have kept us in the playoff picture. They are what they are, embarrassing losses, but you move on. NU football did an exceptional job at that. I really thought the Undies might have packed it in after their embarrassment, to their credit they didn’t.

I admire your unwavering faith in NU and your loathing of the Fighting Undies. However, there is a time and a place to stir this perceived rivalry pot and right now is not it.
Huh? Illinois and Indiana did play terriblre agaist us, and Iowa played fairly badly as well, but was rescued by the refs.

MSU is playing TERRIBLE basketball reight now, arguably as badly as us.

Most teans have good and bad games throughout the season. Illinois has had FAR mpre bad games than good ones, imo.

I wonder if Ayo could rescue a team like NU has right now. He's only shooting 45% and 36.5% from 3.
He has improved dramatically over the course of the season; it is the only reason that the Illini have been more competitive of late. It seems like so long ago now that he was a deer in the headlights vs. Missouri....

Huh? Illinois and Indiana did play terriblre agaist us, and Iowa played fairly badly as well, but was rescued by the refs.

MSU is playing TERRIBLE basketball reight now, arguably as badly as us.

Most teans have good and bad games throughout the season. Illinois has had FAR mpre bad games than good ones, imo.

Uh, no shit! LOL. Any non-biased observer would say we’re a young team that took a while to gel, and we do appear to be gelling. Obviously, our body of work over the course of the season is embarrassing, but when you’re trying to (re)build a program, you can only look forward.

MSU drilled Minny by 24 last night. Guess they're no longer playing TERRIBLE basketball.

Correct., you are quite observant! They were at home honoring the 40th anniversary of the Magic Johnson NCAA championship, playing a team that has been night-and-day different at home (11-2) vs. on the road (1-6, including a 12 pt Quad III loss to BC, and an absolute boatracing by Illinois). If MSU had not won this one, it would be a sign of MAJOR issues with their team, As it was, Minny played absolutely terribly, MSU did not, and predictable blowout ensued.

That does not change the fact that they lost 3 in a row prior to that game, were 8-22 at the free throw line in a HOME loss to Indiana (where they had lost once, to Michigan during Michigan's historic BIG streak, in the last two seasons), who has not beaten anyone else in their last 9 games then turned over the ball 24 (24!) times in a road loss to Illinois. If that is not terrible, then I must not know the meaning of the word.

Correct., you are quite observant! They were at home honoring the 40th anniversary of the Magic Johnson NCAA championship, playing a team that has been night-and-day different at home (11-2) vs. on the road (1-6, including a 12 pt Quad III loss to BC, and an absolute boatracing by Illinois). If MSU had not won this one, it would be a sign of MAJOR issues with their team, As it was, Minny played absolutely terribly, MSU did not, and predictable blowout ensued.

That does not change the fact that they lost 3 in a row prior to that game, were 8-22 at the free throw line in a HOME loss to Indiana (where they had lost once, to Michigan during Michigan's historic BIG streak, in the last two seasons), who has not beaten anyone else in their last 9 games then turned over the ball 24 (24!) times in a road loss to Illinois. If that is not terrible, then I must not know the meaning of the word.
The selection committee has them rated 8th in their early reveal. This is after playing nearly as bad as NU According to you. I think MSU will be just fine as far as getting a high seed.

Reactions: ricko654321
The selection committee has them rated 8th in their early reveal. This is after playing nearly as bad as NU According to you. I think MSU will be just fine as far as getting a high seed.
Again, that wasn't the point of the initial discussion-it was whether MIchigan State played terribly for a stretch of three games before their most recent game Having watched the games, they did

Except the part about Michigan St., playing terribly for 3 games straight. Bizarrely, that actually happened.
Man, I can appreciate optimism, but you’re borderline delusional. Not sure how you can bash other programs at the moment.. gotta take a step back into reality sir.

Man, I can appreciate optimism, but you’re borderline delusional. Not sure how you can bash other programs at the moment.. gotta take a step back into reality sir.
I stated a fact, MSU played three terrible games in a row, which they did. Tell me what is delusional about that?

I stated a fact, MSU played three terrible games in a row, which they did. Tell me what is delusional about that?
More-so the delusion about NU, and bashing other programs. They had a rough couple games, but the BIG is good. Nobody is gonna clean up everyone else. Other teams also played well against them, not always them being awful.

More-so the delusion about NU, and bashing other programs. They had a rough couple games, but the BIG is good. Nobody is gonna clean up everyone else. Other teams also played well against them, not always them being awful.

Wait - does a Sparty fan trolling a Northwestern *basketball* thread have any room to criticize anyone?

Reactions: mikewebb68
Did you actually watch the games in question, or are you just speculating? I watched the gamea.

Wait - does a Sparty fan trolling a Northwestern *basketball* thread have any room to criticize anyone?
I’m not a sparty fan.. lol NU season ticket holder for FB and big hoops fan. I’m also a realist. You’re clearly not on the rock or else you’d know this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT