ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 0-1 in NCAA

MSU seemed to be playing scared down the stretch. I don't know if that came from the way Izzo treated his players going into halftime or what, but I've never seen an MSU team shooting airballs and making unforced turnovers like that when the pressure was on.

MSU seemed to be playing scared down the stretch. I don't know if that came from the way Izzo treated his players going into halftime or what, but I've never seen an MSU team shooting airballs and making unforced turnovers like that when the pressure was on.

Sounds familiar.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
The foul calls against them each time down the court sure did not help

Illinois took care of business. Ohio State struggling with #15 Oral Roberts. If they somehow lose that game, get ready for the rest of the country to start bashing the BIG and the seeds they received.

On another note, the little school up the road from me (U. Hartford!!) is hanging in there with Baylor through two tv timeouts (ok.... it's early). That is the team that knocked off NU a couple years ago and earned me no end of grief from my so-called loving wife and sons.

Illinois took care of business. Ohio State struggling with #15 Oral Roberts. If they somehow lose that game, get ready for the rest of the country to start bashing the BIG and the seeds they received.

On another note, the little school up the road from me (U. Hartford!!) is hanging in there with Baylor through two tv timeouts (ok.... it's early). That is the team that knocked off NU a couple years ago and earned me no end of grief from my so-called loving wife and sons.
It's hard to believe, but that Hartford game was only last season. I remember sitting behind their bench watching their lunatic coach during the game, which was entertaining until we blew the lead in the last two minutes.

Of the top teams in the league, Ohio State has always seemed to me the most ripe for an upset. They don't have the dominant big man that some of the other B1G teams have, and their defense can get lax at times. And they're very heavily dependent on Washington and Liddell's shooting. Also, looks like Young, who brings a measure of toughness to their front line, is not playing.

Michigan could also be a tick off if Livers continues to be sidelined. I read a graphic somewhere that over the past couple of years they are 33-9 when he plays and 6-6 when he doesn't.

He's more of a power forward and doesn't play with the back-to-the basket mentality of a Garza, Cockburn, or Dickinson. Also shoots a lot from mid- and three-point range.
He's a 5 for them. And you haven't watched much ball if you don't think Garza also shoots mid-range J's and 3's.......

I think Wisconsin gets destroyed, they went 0-9 against the top 5 teams in conference this year. Rutgers I think has a decent shot to win.

Reactions: pawildcat
That is exactly how Ohio State lost to us. Horrendous three point shooting, double-digit turnovers.

Reactions: drewjin
Washington still has great hair.

I don't get why teams don't just start trying to tie it with the 3. Why the urge to say "you don't need a 3 here" and go force a layup, PARTICULARLY after you just missed two free throws? All it does is pull you within 1 at best and you're hoping for missed FTs. Liddell hits that 3 to tie and they maybe win.

It's almost a reflex from the announcers to say this.
You don’t need a three does not mean you need to shoot a two. I believe it’s to make the point that you don’t need to force a three. You shoot it if there’s a good look. Unlike in the last 10 seconds down by three that you’ll end up forcing it if you have to

I don't get why teams don't just start trying to tie it with the 3. Why the urge to say "you don't need a 3 here" and go force a layup, PARTICULARLY after you just missed two free throws? All it does is pull you within 1 at best and you're hoping for missed FTs. Liddell hits that 3 to tie and they maybe win.
Because sometimes you get a pretty easy two and put the pressure on the other team to make free throws. A 3 point shot is low percentage. Though against ORU you do have to take into account how good of a free throw shooting team they are.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
B1G officials tend to let more pounding go on than officials from some other conferences. That's been a problem for B1G teams in the NCAAs at times.
Unless I'm mistaken the conferences don't have specific refs. Think they all work all conferences , across the country.

LUC seems like they’re going to hold serve.

Hinkle Fieldhouse looks cool, even on TV
Ohio State gets a 2-seed and Loyola gets an 8-seed.

Western Kentucky, which won AT SEC-champ Alabama, gets to beat St. Mary's in the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT