ADVERTISEMENT

Can we get a little realistic?

No clue. I'm not the AD for a very good reason. The only think Phillips and I have in common is we're both Drs.

Well, then thanks for your limited contribution. Sorry you didn’t find any interest in my out of the box thoughts.

I would hope that if Phillips get someone was available to do what you described, he would have gone after him.

Stop the madness.

Impossible for NU to pull just MBB out of the B1G and remain a member otherwise. And too much B1G money to leave a Power 5 conference.

You are too smart to make such a dopey argument.

I get the argument. It frustrates me as a fan that NU would put up such mediocracy as a world renown institution. Maybe it frustrates other B1G schools and maybe they will push for NU to get the boot.

But some external pressure needs to occur.

Maybe it frustrates other B1G schools and maybe they will push for NU to get the boot.
Oh stop it. NU was beyond terrible in the both sports in the 70s,80s and part of the 90s with bad facilities. Not the case now in EITHER sport.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Go independent or ivy with it. Or fully commit to excellence. But the middle of the road crap is frustrating.
There are millions of reasons we will not go with option 1. Not sure how far along the spectrum we can get on two but that is the route we have to take. Some of the biggest obstacles have been addressed but that doesn't mean it is any kind of snap you fingers and it is done

I get the argument. It frustrates me as a fan that NU would put up such mediocracy as a world renown institution. Maybe it frustrates other B1G schools and maybe they will push for NU to get the boot.

As a charter member, not going to happen

You got me. I fell for your schtick, taking the undefensible side of an argument just to generate clicks.

Well played.

Reactions: IGNORE

So if it frustrates you so much, why do you spend time around here? Why is the purpose? Plus, there’s other teams you can start following that might be more down your ally of “win at any cost”.

Oh stop it. NU was beyond terrible in the both sports in the 70s,80s and part of the 90s with bad facilities. Not the case now in EITHER sport.

Ok, the MBB has not reached beyond terrible. Enjoy this season. Then, let’s see how many more transfer out. But everybody will get a participation trophy.

So if it frustrates you so much, why do you spend time around here? Why is the purpose? Plus, there’s other teams you can start following that might be more down your ally of “win at any cost”.

Because I would miss you. We have become so tight since allying on the rant board. You complete me.

Because I would miss you. We have become so tight since allying on the rant board. You complete me.

In other words, you openly don’t like the program, want it to disband or leave the B1G, and only post here to intentionally attempt to get under other peoples’s skin?

Reactions: mikewebb68
In other words, you openly don’t like the program, want it to disband or leave the B1G, and only post here to intentionally attempt to get under other peoples’s skin?

Those other words are yours. That’s ok buddy. It’s gotta be rough realizing how much we have in common. Let’s head over to the rant board and pick on some liberals.

OK, do we have most of the grousing out of our system?

In this flood of poor-me over analysis, some of you really need to get your head on straight and find a more realistic foundation for your expectations. Medill's post is the start.

This is a BITCH of a job for so many reasons including a laughably uneducated and unsupportive fan base as we've seen since yesterday.

Things are far from perfect. I'm not crazy about where this thing is either. Any number of questions should be asked - development, recruiting philosophy, strategic flexibility. But they are still questions, aren't they? We have many positive examples and many bad examples.

However yesterday's news turned into final mandates for the program and firm opinions on '19-'20 recruiting ... in July ... even from people outside the usual pitchforks. Do you really think this is Kentucky?

Can I remind the more reasonable among you that Beran didn't commit until October last year? Kopp committed in September the year before.

Welcome to Northwestern. This is an ongoing battle to find that perfect balance between truly strong academics and strong athletics. Has something suddenly changed? NU is constantly fighting an uphill battle. And if I suggest NU loosen it grade restrictions, the egghead crowd will whine about how it lowers the value of their hard work. (Yes, that has been a regular past argument.)

So this is what we signed up for. If you want to kill the program EVERY time there's a hiccup, go root for Duke. You'll have fewer complaints.

Excuse me for repeating this, but one of the few things of value NU offers a coach is patience. If you dump a coach three years after a historic run and changing the trajectory of a program with fundraising and facilities, I don't want to see what's behind door number two. Here's the full list of off-season moves. Who would you have taken instead of Collins? Oats, Cronin, Buzz ...

How about the year before? There's two or three options there also.

Now who's realistic? Oats and ...?

For an example, look at who Cal ended up with - Mark Fox. He had two tourney bids in nine years at Georgia. He finished higher than sixth place in three of those years. I'm sure that's going to translate really well to Cal and some academic restrictions.

Vandy dumped Bryce Drew and ended up with a great name, Jerry Stackhouse - someone who has never recruited a day in his life.

I'm the last person to even approach being the rah-rah guy. But the supposed hardcore fans need to do better than this. The NU program is nowhere in the ballpark of being respected enough to make outside-the-box decisions. This needs to be played out ... and maybe even with a little support.

Well, we are halfway through September and still zero commits with four open spots.

Well, we are halfway through September and still zero commits with four open spots.

Which would be worrisome if we were late in the recruiting cycle, imo, but we're not. And we had one of the earliest 2020 commits in the BIG who decommitted through no fault of our program...

Reactions: DaCat
Do what Carmody's staff did. Recruit guys who will be here for four years and develop them.

Do what Carmody and his staff didn't. Emphasize defense and rebounding. Carmody de-emphasized those areas, presumably because he was conceding them to the more talented conference opponents. I don't think that's necessary.

It's no mystery why Carmody remains polarizing. His players were likable. His teams walked us right up to the precipice of the NCAA Tournament. Yet, his glaring weaknesses and failures were maddening and were a direct obstacle to reaching The Dance.

If he were a worse coach, we would never talk about him. He would be consigned to the dust bin of Northwestern head coaches of the past without a shrug.

He was just good enough to piss us off, not good enough to do what we ultimately wanted.

Your first sentence is ridiculous. Never do ANYTHING like Carmody and his staff when it comes to recruiting, PLEASE.

I'll see your Ajou and raise you a Shurna......

I’ll see your Shurna and raise you a Turner...

Carmody had a few great recruits, and one who IMO was the best NU ever had (Shurna). But he had a slew of recruits were weren’t D1 caliber at any level. He also had his own Vassar situation with Kevin Coble, except that Coble was a bigger loss.

I’ll see your Shurna and raise you a Turner...

Carmody had a few great recruits, and one who IMO was the best NU ever had (Shurna). But he had a slew of recruits were weren’t D1 caliber at any level. He also had his own Vassar situation with Kevin Coble, except that Coble was a bigger loss.
Geez, that's a real stretch to equate Vassar and Coble. Collins realized he made a mistake with Vassar and ran him off. Coble and Carmody didn't see eye to eye and parted ways, which was a real loss for NU. Never forget the night Coble beat MSU in East Lansing just about single handedly.

Geez, that's a real stretch to equate Vassar and Coble. Collins realized he made a mistake with Vassar and ran him off. Coble and Carmody didn't see eye to eye and parted ways, which was a real loss for NU. Never forget the night Coble beat MSU in East Lansing just about single handedly.

I’ll accept that. But “didn’t see eye to eye” is downplaying it just a tad. I remember well Coble’s very detailed story on here. There was much more too it, including a very sick parent and a coach unwilling to make any concessions regardless of the seriousness at the time. Kevin’s mom isn’t a big fan of Carmody, I’ll tell you that.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Meh, we hadn't even offered him, according to 247... Didn't even know who he was until the Harvard commitment was brought up here.
Haywood mentioned him as one of two hot prospects on this board. And in the story on his commitment he said he said it came down to NU and HU, consistent with what Haywood said. So regardless of what 247 said it was a tough loss for NU.

Reactions: IGNORE
Like I said, wasn't even on the 247 offer list. And don't we have two bigs already? Also Pete is 6'10". so not exactly a position of need. Young man probably saw the writing on the wall re: playing time for fhe next two years...

Losing Bam was big news. This is not, imo. Had you even heard of this player before Haywood brought him up?

Last edited:
Like I said, wasn't even on the 247 offer list. And don't we have two bigs already? Also Pete is 6'10". so not exactly a position of need. Young man probably saw the writing on the wall re: playing time for fhe next two years...

Losing Bam was big news. This is not, imo. Had you even heard of this player before Haywood brought him up?
You're too much!!

According to VerbalCommits.com, he had offers from Maryland, Tennessee, Auburn, UConn, Wake, Vandy and Yale. I suspect he could play a little at NU.

But meh.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/justice-ajogbor

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE and willycat
But no offer from us. Sorry, but I tend to focus on players we offered...
Between 247 and Haywood, I put stock in Haywood.

Ajogbor, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound center, narrowed his list of schools to Harvard and Northwestern in June, but also had serious interest from Stanford, Wake Forest, Davidson and a host of others. Ajogbor took an official visit to Harvard last weekend.

"I took this past week to look at my two options," Ajogbor said. "I was looking at Harvard and Northwestern. On Wednesday I was just in class and I wasn’t even thinking about college and the idea just popped in my head that I want to be at Harvard."

https://247sports.com/Article/Justice-Ajogbor-commits-to-Harvard-135656189/

Ajogbor, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound center, narrowed his list of schools to Harvard and Northwestern in June, but also had serious interest from Stanford, Wake Forest, Davidson and a host of others. Ajogbor took an official visit to Harvard last weekend.

"I took this past week to look at my two options," Ajogbor said. "I was looking at Harvard and

"I took this past week to look at my two options," Ajogbor said. "I was looking at Harvard and Northwestern. On Wednesday I was just in class and I wasn’t even thinking about college and the idea just popped in my head that I want to be at Harvard."

Why do you care about him so much? He was ranked 171 in the 247 composite-- even if we did offer (and this article doesn't say we offered him, either), he would have been one of the lowest-ranked recruits we offered. And it is not in a position of need, so again, meh...

Why do you care about him so much? He was ranked 171 in the 247 composite-- even if we did offer (and this article doesn't say we offered him, either), he would have been one of the lowest-ranked recruits we offered. And it is not in a position of need, so again, meh...
I care because Haywod said there were two top targets for NU likely to make a commitment to their choice of school in the next 6 weeks, and one of them is now gone. Given the young mans offer list, he would have been a nice recruit for NU.

But I will wait patiently for one of those other higher rated kids 247 says has an offer to commit to NU.

I care because Haywod said there were two top targets for NU likely to make a commitment to their choice of school in the next 6 weeks, and one of them is now gone. Given the young mans offer list, he would have been a nice recruit for NU.

But I will wait patiently for one of those other higher rated kids 247 says has an offer to commit to NU.
Like Goode? He's been offered and has visited. Or Berry and Hopkins? Same thing. I tend to focus on those players, sorry if that somehow offends you!

Let’s save this for when we have signed commits so we can revisit.

247 doesn’t even have a NU beat writer. Most info comes from Regional guys. They miss a lot of offers/interest when it comes to NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT