ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern vs. Illinois

This is potentially as dangerous, if they recover an onside kick they can go for the win in regulation…

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT HAT

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Whew! What a crazy game! Cats win! Cats win!
7-5 and a bowl game- who would have thought that this season was even possible. Congrats to the coaches and players for an incredible season. Go Cats!

And, finally, Bajakian has some quality purple footage for his interviews. Just show that final drive of the first, and the first drive of the second.

Thankful for the W. I realize I should hav the perspective of winning ugly this year. Man it is so frustrating to see us fail at the end in:
-offense: instead of running clock we AGAIN throw long and get an INT. Then on the next drive fail to get even 1 yard.
-coaching: not going for a 47 yd FG because field position DID NOT MATTER with the huge chunk plays we were allowing
-special teams not downing a great punt and basically giving up net 10 yards of field position (see above)
- defense giving up a massive explosion TD
- penalty allowing them to try another onside kick. If they recovered that does anyone think in 55 seconds they wouldn’t have scored again to win the game?

I just wish we could put away a game on offense but when it comes to running clock we are either unable to gain more than one yard, we lose yards due to penalty or TFL.

• Sad
Reactions: RevCat and drewjin
And, finally, Bajakian has some quality purple footage for his interviews. Just show that final drive of the first, and the first drive of the second.
I like his outroute to the other team when the game is essentially over. It makes the game exciting. Burning clock when you are 2 scores ahead is so overrated.

Thankful for the W. I realize I should hav the perspective of winning ugly this year. Man it is so frustrating to see us fail at the end in:
-offense: instead of running clock we AGAIN throw long and get an INT. Then on the next drive fail to get even 1 yard.
-coaching: not going for a 47 yd FG because field position DID NOT MATTER with the huge chunk plays we were allowing
-special teams not downing a great punt and basically giving up net 10 yards of field position (see above)
- defense giving up a massive explosion TD
- penalty allowing them to try another onside kick. If they recovered that does anyone think in 55 seconds they wouldn’t have scored again to win the game?

I just wish we could put away a game on offense but when it comes to running clock we are either unable to gain more than one yard, we lose yards due to penalty or TFL.
The way their offense was moving with Washington putting up 200+ yards/3TDs, I feel like it was almost a >50% chance that they could have moved the ball again. Just that kind of day.

Onsides kick was the whole thing.

What the hell is this decision? Kick the FG!!!
I would have kicked the FG because it ices the game but I think Braun's concern was a potential blocked kick and return. Olsen's kicks were low all night. A mistake but I think that was the thought process.

I would have kicked the FG because it ices the game but I think Braun's concern was a potential blocked kick and return. Olsen's kicks were low all night. A mistake but I think that was the thought process.
I’m sure that was the thought process but it’s a terrible one. You have a good to very good kicker, end the game! If you’re going to punt, pass on third down and try to get the first or a much shorter kick!

I’m sure that was the thought process but it’s a terrible one. You have a good to very good kicker, end the game! If you’re going to punt, pass on third down and try to get the first or a much shorter kick!
Agreed. There was a pretty heated disagreement about it on the sidelines. Braun's stats guy who stands behind him with the folder was advocating for the FG and I am pretty sure Braun said No, No, No several times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT