ADVERTISEMENT

Greenstein scoop

"Writing today about the potential highest-rated & most important recruit in Northwestern hoops hist"

Any idea what this means?

Mark Smith would be the easy answer, but the cryptic nature of the tweet makes that seem a little too easy.

NU has supposedly been connected to UConn transfer Juwan Durham, who was a 4/5-star, top-50 type guy coming out of high school and would fit the bill:

http://thespun.com/college-hoops/juwan-durham-transfer-uconn-louisville-notre-dame

Charlie Moore might also be the case, though Greenstein earlier tweeted he was hearing Illinois as the most likely destination:

Reactions: all4theillini
Mark Smith would be the easy answer, but the cryptic nature of the tweet makes that seem a little too easy.

NU has supposedly been connected to UConn transfer Juwan Durham, who was a 4/5-star, top-50 type guy coming out of high school and would fit the bill:

http://thespun.com/college-hoops/juwan-durham-transfer-uconn-louisville-notre-dame

Charlie Moore might also be the case, though Greenstein earlier tweeted he was hearing Illinois as the most likely destination:

UoI fans seem pretty confident they will land both Smith and Moore. Personally, I don't understand why this would be good for either the players or the Illini. Adding 3 PGs in a single cycle when they really need some depth in the post.

Who wants to be "the guy" for NU starting in 2018? Great opportunity available for someone ready to step up.

Reactions: NUCats
I'm guessing Ayo Dosunmu from Morgan Park. His name has been mentioned in the past with NU. Before his injury, he was tabbed to be the top player in Illinois in a pretty strong class. ESPN has him rated as top 40 for now.

Reactions: Max_Power
Nance just jumped into the top 40 nationally on Rivals. David Duke rose as well. The other top targets stayed about the same.

"Writing today about the potential highest-rated & most important recruit in Northwestern hoops hist"
a
Any idea what this means?
Nope and wonder when and if there will be a follow-up. Transfer? H.S. recruit?

Nance just jumped into the top 40 nationally on Rivals. David Duke rose as well. The other top targets stayed about the same.

Been saying for a while that Duke is the real deal...a truly elite prospect. Glad to see the recruiting services finally catching up. Better prospect than Dosunmu IMHO, and much better prospect than Cohill at the lead guard position.

GOUNUII

There's no desperation here... more of a (very) nice to have for 2017/18. We lose no guards and add AG at the wing.

Lead guards are sort of like quarterbacks, imo. We should try to recruit one every year, or at least three years out of four. Not getting someone to replace Mac this year isn't a catastrophe, but it puts us closer to a spot where we take a reach prospect next year.

The tweet includes a call out to someone at The Athletic Chicago to get ready. I have to think that a highly rated 2018 point guard would find NU appealing and that Greenstein would consider Dosunmu a big story with local interest. I'd be very happy with any of the other names mentioned.

Nothing really new here, or definitive. Would be nice to know if he has had a visit to Evanston and what he thinks about the program.

An article about a big-time recruit considering NU isn't newsworthy. But I don't think Greenstein writes the article there's a strong lean to NU. Hence, the mention that a decision could be coming as early as this week.

Teddy sure is making it sound like NU has a good shot at this kid.

He did attended one game. I think it was the home game against Indiana

It would explain why we haven't heard much. The family isn't into the hype so CC would keep his recruiting of this prospect on the down low so as not to offend.

Nice touch to name the arena after (before?) him though......
That is kind of funny. I was trying to get people to come up with a nick name for the new arena, This would be a whole new angle if he ended up being a very dominant player.

The irony would be if Robby Carmody was that player.....Carmody Court at Ryan Arena!

I really don't get the obsession of this board with Carmody. It's been 4 years!! There is so much else worthy of debate and discussion, yet a ridiculous thread on Carmody vs CCC gets the most posts this week, by far. It's over, done, dead, buried, decomposed, and gone.

Would it be a recruiting violation to agree to name the stadium after him if he signs with NU?

Would it be a recruiting violation to agree to name the stadium after him if he signs with NU?
Unfortunately, if he is such a low hype guy, even the suggestion that he would comedically be the "Ryan" of Ryan arena in a large fashion could hurt our chances.
Landing this one is going to take really being the "sweet spot" I think.
Big "get" though. Almost the prototypical NU athlete.

Unfortunately, if he is such a low hype guy, even the suggestion that he would comedically be the "Ryan" of Ryan arena in a large fashion could hurt our chances.
Landing this one is going to take really being the "sweet spot" I think.
Big "get" though. Almost the prototypical NU athlete.

Another overthink.

Reactions: D_C_B and jjjjjjj
It would explain why we haven't heard much. The family isn't into the hype so CC would keep his recruiting of this prospect on the down low so as not to offend.
Maybe the family isn't into the hype, or maybe it is, but stories like this don't come out of the blue with NU. Someone at NU, or with Cormac's family, or with Milton reached out to Teddy. I think that must mean Cormac is close to choosing NU. Teddy didn't just wake up one morning and say, "Of all the kids NU is recruiting for 2018, I think I'll do a feature on this private school kid from Massachusetts."

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Another overthink.
That is the way I roll.
It is not so much about actually having a confidence or fear or an idea having substance but more about searching for cracks that lead to more substantive outcomes.
In my work the thing I enjoyed most was brainstorming new possibilities. We used to play a game that I heard Disney imagineers play called "Yes, and". In the game you're never allowed to criticize or say, "That would never work" or "too dangerous" or "too
expensive" you could only add a comment starting with "Yes and". The ideas would get outrageous until suddenly one would come up that had a remote niggle of possibility and large amount of energy and the conversation would change. You would get comments like "Yes and to keep cost down, we could do this of that." or "To make it legal, we could do that."

We came up with lots of good ideas that years later we would hear other little nonprofits in our small industry were using.

So I obsess here on the board comfortably knowing that occasionally a good discussion will come out of it. I never played organized sports but that is what I have to offer.

Over thinking your comment about overthinking.:rolleyes:

Maybe the family isn't into the hype, or maybe it is, but stories like this don't come out of the blue with NU. Someone at NU, or with Cormac's family, or with Milton reached out to Teddy. I think that must mean Cormac is close to choosing NU. Teddy didn't just wake up one morning and say, "Of all the kids NU is recruiting for 2018, I think I'll do a feature on this private school kid from Massachusetts."

Good chance you're right. IMO. I was just going off a comment in the article that sounded like the family is on the private end of the spectrum of recruits.

Good chance you're right. IMO. I was just going off a comment in the article that sounded like the family is on the private end of the spectrum of recruits.
teddy
Agree that someone with ties to the kid, dropped a dime on Teddy. Also when was the last time a Chicago paper had a half page basketball, recruiting article about NU. Likely never.

Fingers crossed.

Getting a kid of this level and this early in the recruiting season is pretty big to kick off -what we hope - another level of recruiting for NU.

It also says something to beat Stanford and ND. ND is another level of program NU needs to be competitive with. Stanford has a similar history, but not so much recently.

teddy

Agree that someone with ties to the kid, dropped a dime on Teddy. Also when was the last time a Chicago paper had a half page basketball, recruiting article about NU. Likely never.

I do love that NU got two articles on basketball recruiting in the Trib yesterday: CMac and E Brown. Perhaps a good job by a PR person within NU Athletic Dept?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT