ADVERTISEMENT

Greenstein scoop

Agree that someone with ties to the kid, dropped a dime on Teddy. Also when was the last time a Chicago paper had a half page basketball, recruiting article about NU. Likely never.

Does that make up for lack of football spring ball coverage?

Why push the story to Teddy before he's committed? If this family doesn't like publicity, why shine a light on them before they're on the boat?

Fingers crossed.

Getting a kid of this level and this early in the recruiting season is pretty big to kick off -what we hope - another level of recruiting for NU.

It also says something to beat Stanford and ND. ND is another level of program NU needs to be competitive with. Stanford has a similar history, but not so much recently.
We have beaten both of these schools for recruits before and at times we have got them through admissions where the other have had reservations. This a nice buzz article but nothing more

Why push the story to Teddy before he's committed? If this family doesn't like publicity, why shine a light on them before they're on the boat?

Complete speculation: Possible that Teddy learned he was about the pull the trigger, started writing it and was told at the last minute they weren't quite ready. Otherwise no reason to feature Ryan; there are plenty of other high profile recruits, including grad transfers, in the mix.

Complete speculation: Possible that Teddy learned he was about the pull the trigger, started writing it and was told at the last minute they weren't quite ready. Otherwise no reason to feature Ryan; there are plenty of other high profile recruits, including grad transfers, in the mix.
Just maybe it came from his H.S. coach or a recruiter from another college. Hopefully where there is smoke there is fire.

Or, he had long lunch planned.

I would think that the decision to commit to NU would be clear (hopefully?). Cormac seems like the kind of young fellow that signs up to play football for Fitz and company. I anticipate that TGreenstein is writing about it to help us all notice the new trend of getting some of the best talented student athletes to come play bb for us. We have arrived. Now it is our time to shine. I really hope that CC is rolling out the purple carpet for this young man. He is the prototype of a quality person/student/athlete that our basketball program would love to have. Wow! His commitment would be welcomed with open arms from this NU fan that is for certain. I'd cheer for him from day 1 of his decision to play hoops for NU.

Is teddys premise correct though - would he be the highest rated / most important recruit? Not sure what eschmeyer was rated but I'm not sure this recruit would be more important than law - a 4 star guy rated around 100 from the area who basically lead the way for other kids to buy into what Collins was selling before there was any tangible evidence that what he was selling was worth a damn.

Well hopefully he comes to NU along with Duke/Domnasu. Cohill can be a wing for us or Talen-Horton the same. A big like Nance and hopefully the transfer Durham and that would be a great haul

Is teddys premise correct though - would he be the highest rated / most important recruit? Not sure what eschmeyer was rated but I'm not sure this recruit would be more important than law - a 4 star guy rated around 100 from the area who basically lead the way for other kids to buy into what Collins was selling before there was any tangible evidence that what he was selling was worth a damn.

Yeah, that was ludicrous. There is likely no tournament team without Law committing on July 4 a few years back and becoming a cornerstone. Even if Cormac Ryan was the top-ranked recruit in the country, what did Markelle Fultz or Ben Simmons do for their teams?

Eschmeyer was ranked #35 so no way is this kind d the highest. Maybe teddy is high.

We also had 2 McDonalds All- American transfers back in the day (Big Michael Thompson and Walker Lambiotte) that did us...well did nothing.

Reactions: StratCat84
We also had 2 McDonalds All- American transfers back in the day (Big Michael Thompson and Walker Lambiotte) that did us...well did nothing.
We had others back in the 60s. Still Law might be considered more important because of what followed. There was no followup to Esch. There has been to Law. and BMac was pretty important as well. That said one of these other guys would be huge because of it representing a continuation and a new move to even higher level

Reactions: Max_Power
Eschmeyer was ranked #35 so no way is this kind d the highest. Maybe teddy is high.

The problem with journalists is that a) they are rarely fact based #fake news and b) they are a product of their own experience and world view

Despite their claims to the contrary, journalists are not interested in reporting the facts. They are focused on getting "the story." Which is often about whatever is most scandalous, will generate the most reaction (and eyeballs), and ultimately their fame. Anyone who has ever had an ounce of media training gets this. It's all about how you focus on your message and don't let reporters put words in your mouth or otherwise obfuscate the facts. While not everything that journalists write about is malicious, ill-informed, and self-serving, there is enough of that around to give the entire lot a bad name. Kind of like lawyers.

Now, that I'm off my soap box, in this case, Teddy is speaking from his own little world, one that didn't begin until he landed on campus. Oops. He was a student before Eschmeyer graduated, but who is counting.

That's not fair. Lambiotte was a starter for us and All-Conference.

Teddy Greenstein actually graduated before Eschmeyer arrived on campus. Eschmeyer was recruited by Bill Foster and then fired at the end of the season. Walker Lambiotte was also recruited by Foster and went to NC State for his first two seasons. He was a former McDonald's All-American and might have been the MVP of the game. He joined NU with a lot of hype. The Big 10 was loaded at the time as IU was a Final 4 level team and a number of teams were loaded with future NBA stars and players. I believe UofI and their Flyin' Illini team and UM with five future NBA players made the Final 4 and UM won a national championship in 1989. One of two Big 10 teams to win a title in the past 28 seasons. Only MSU won a title in 2000. So Lambiotte struggled at times, but was a solid player.

What I think Teddy was referring to is that the recruiting lists were not as thorough or in existence in 1993 when Eschmeyer committed as they are now. In the past 20 years, NU's highest rated recruit was Vic Law who was ranked in some rankings as high as no. 66 and other rankings had him at no. 71, so Ryan is ranked higher than NU player in recent times (past 20 years). There might have been only one list when Eschmeyer committed and that was from a Street & Smith Magazine in 1993. I am not sure how many players were ranked, but Eschmeyer was a stud recruit and the last NU player to make a NBA roster. That will end also soon with hopefully, Law and maybe Lindsey making a NBA roster if they continue to develop and not contract mono in a key part of the season. Ha ha!

Reactions: Smokejumper
Teddy Greenstein actually graduated before Eschmeyer arrived on campus. Eschmeyer was recruited by Bill Foster and then fired at the end of the season. Walker Lambiotte was also recruited by Foster and went to NC State for his first two seasons. He was a former McDonald's All-American and might have been the MVP of the game. He joined NU with a lot of hype. The Big 10 was loaded at the time as IU was a Final 4 level team and a number of teams were loaded with future NBA stars and players. I believe UofI and their Flyin' Illini team and UM with five future NBA players made the Final 4 and UM won a national championship in 1989. One of two Big 10 teams to win a title in the past 28 seasons. Only MSU won a title in 2000. So Lambiotte struggled at times, but was a solid player.

What I think Teddy was referring to is that the recruiting lists were not as thorough or in existence in 1993 when Eschmeyer committed as they are now. In the past 20 years, NU's highest rated recruit was Vic Law who was ranked in some rankings as high as no. 66 and other rankings had him at no. 71, so Ryan is ranked higher than NU player in recent times (past 20 years). There might have been only one list when Eschmeyer committed and that was from a Street & Smith Magazine in 1993. I am not sure how many players were ranked, but Eschmeyer was a stud recruit and the last NU player to make a NBA roster. That will end also soon with hopefully, Law and maybe Lindsey making a NBA roster if they continue to develop and not contract mono in a key part of the season. Ha ha!

Yup.

Next season, NU will have of of the 5 highest rated recruits in the 247 database on the team (Vic, Aaron and Rap), 5 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 20. To show just how little high school ratings correlate with college success, Mike Capocci and NIck Fruendt were rated higher than Pardon, Lindsey and Skelly......

Echmeyer was consensus top 100, but the recruiting rankings and coverage back then were much more limited in scope and reach. The Holmes, Walters, Nixon and Pedersen class was also all considered by some to all be ranked in the top 200.

Yes he was was rated #35. I think he played hs ball in Ohio.

I won't embarrass you and ask you to find the publication.

Yes, he was one of the most important, and highly regarded recruits in recent NU history (amongst the best that Foster, Birdsong and ONeil ever had at the time of signing - and he obviously developed into a great player for NU).

I will simply say this, which affirms what Walker Fan said earlier... basketball rankings and evaluations back in the late 80s and early 90s was a very different animal than today. Street and Smiths may have in fact been the only definitive published listing. I've never seen the 35 ranking, and i think it overstates what kind of player Evan was in high school, and the type of expectations the program had for him coming in as a frosh.

I won't embarrass you and ask you to find the publication.

Yes, he was one of the most important, and highly regarded recruits in recent NU history (amongst the best that Foster, Birdsong and ONeil ever had at the time of signing - and he obviously developed into a great player for NU).

I will simply say this, which affirms what Walker Fan said earlier... basketball rankings and evaluations back in the late 80s and early 90s was a very different animal than today. Street and Smiths may have in fact been the only definitive published listing. I've never seen the 35 ranking, and i think it overstates what kind of player Evan was in high school, and the type of expectations the program had for him coming in as a frosh.

Whatever his ranking coming out of high school, he became a dominant college player. Imagine if he was surrounded by BMac, Lindsey, Law and Falzon......

I live for useless Internet challenges, so here's one Top 100 list from something called "hoopscooponline.com." Eschmeyer comes in ranked between 91st and 95th. Not sure this list can be taken seriously given that it lists Esch as going to Notre Dame.

His high school coach called him "probably one of the top 40 high school players" ... in Ohio. But that was before his senior year, when he went for 30 and 15 a game.

The problem with journalists is that a) they are rarely fact based #fake news and b) they are a product of their own experience and world view

Despite their claims to the contrary, journalists are not interested in reporting the facts. They are focused on getting "the story." Which is often about whatever is most scandalous, will generate the most reaction (and eyeballs), and ultimately their fame. Anyone who has ever had an ounce of media training gets this. It's all about how you focus on your message and don't let reporters put words in your mouth or otherwise obfuscate the facts. While not everything that journalists write about is malicious, ill-informed, and self-serving, there is enough of that around to give the entire lot a bad name. Kind of like lawyers.
Not to get too far off topic, but this Rant Board-worthy comment needs some push-back. While there is no question that there is a struggle to do journalism in the world of corporate owned, bottom line driven media outlets, to promote this #fake news attitude toward all media is very very dangerous. What it means now is that an individual in power can do horrendous things and when the media calls him out on it, he can claim to everyone that the media is lying. If people believe that the media are always lying, even if they are not, there will be no more accountability for those in power. We will have lost the watch-dogs of our society.

Sorry, but I am so sick of hearing about #fake news. It might be the scariest thing to come out of this current era.

Amen. I know this is a rant board comment but the sooner chief toupe is out of office the better. On a topic note here's to hoping that Cormac Ryan becomes a cat as well as several other of the guys we are heavily recruiting

Despite their claims to the contrary, journalists are not interested in reporting the facts. They are focused on getting "the story."

Journalists report to editors and editors report to publishers. Publishers get sued which is why editors demand sources and journalists provide them. No reporting starts without facts.

The people who promote the narrative of fake news simply don't like the coverage. They are the very same people who prop up extremist information sites that do not abide basic journalistic tenants (such as fact-checking. They are the propagators of fake news.

I'd just add that extremists are found on both the left and the right.

That's not fair. Lambiotte was a starter for us and All-Conference.[/QUOTE]

Yes he was good player for us and had nothing around him, my point was we have had highly ranked players or even transfers who were top players but it did nothing for team success because we didnt have a complete roster. writing an article like this about a recruit who is good and is just considering us is kind of crazy in my book. Its not like the kid is a 5 star plus recruit. We have had plenty of top 100 ranked kids in fact KON brought in a few but they never played together.

Remember these classes??...5 guys ranked in the top 150, 1 of them was ranked in the 90s athe other top 60 (Ben Johnson). The next year KON signed Jitim Young and Ed McCants both were top 100 ranked. These guys never played together as a group.

http://www.nusports.com/news/1999/6/21/Men_s_Basketball_Signs_Five_to_Letters_of_Intent.aspx

http://www.nusports.com/news/2000/4/12/Men_s_Basketball_Signs_Ed_McCants_to_Letter_of_Intent.aspx

Yeah, that was ludicrous. There is likely no tournament team without Law committing on July 4 a few years back and becoming a cornerstone. Even if Cormac Ryan was the top-ranked recruit in the country, what did Markelle Fultz or Ben Simmons do for their teams?
Jim Stack was good! Art Aaron also

Not to get too far off topic, but this Rant Board-worthy comment needs some push-back. While there is no question that there is a struggle to do journalism in the world of corporate owned, bottom line driven media outlets, to promote this #fake news attitude toward all media is very very dangerous. What it means now is that an individual in power can do horrendous things and when the media calls him out on it, he can claim to everyone that the media is lying. If people believe that the media are always lying, even if they are not, there will be no more accountability for those in power. We will have lost the watch-dogs of our society.

Sorry, but I am so sick of hearing about #fake news. It might be the scariest thing to come out of this current era.
Is there good journalism out there? Yes. Is there bad and colored journalism? A whole lot. So much that I am not sure you are wrong throwing it all out. Journalism has just about gotten to the point where it is more of a disservice than a service.

Reactions: GOUNUII and NUThump
Fake news is always easy to spot. It's anything that doesn't support my pre-conceived notions.If I want Mark Smith to come to NU, and a report says he looking at Kentucky, that must be fake news. If I want to go on a picnic tomorrow and the weathermen says it's going to rain, that's fake news. It works the other way too. Any media outlet that says I love my mother and that puppies are cute has established itself as a trusted source.

1) Your honor, I am here to testify for the defendant, T_Levine. I can verify seeing Eschmeyer rated in the top 40 also.

2) I continue to be surprised at the reaction to Teddy's statement about "...the POTENTIAL highest-rated & most important recruit ..." There's a key word many of you seem to want to ignore that doesn't make TG's statement incorrect at all.

The kid is listed by ESPN as the 56th best player now. If his game/rating improves, top 40 is not all that far away.

Reactions: Dugan15
There is a lot of stupid going on this board. TG's writes a recruiting fluff piece and everyone is fact checking it? Who cares about when NU offered Mark Smith as if it implies NU missed the boat on a kid who was not even considering playing college basketball until his senior year of high school? One of the few posters with any actually inside knowledge lays it all out and still it gets questioned. I am starting to think that Wicker and Feli are the same poster.

Last edited:
1) Your honor, I am here to testify for the defendant, T_Levine. I can verify seeing Eschmeyer rated in the top 40 also.

2) I continue to be surprised at the reaction to Teddy's statement about "...the POTENTIAL highest-rated & most important recruit ..." There's a key word many of you seem to want to ignore that doesn't make TG's statement incorrect at all.

The kid is listed by ESPN as the 56th best player now. If his game/rating improves, top 40 is not all that far away.
You could use that word and say that about any recruit though. the story didn't really explain how or why he could become the most important recruit either.

Is there good journalism out there? Yes. Is there bad and colored journalism? A whole lot. So much that I am not sure you are wrong throwing it all out. Journalism has just about gotten to the point where it is more of a disservice than a service.

Are there dishonest car dealers out there? Ambulance-chasing lawyers? Wells Fargo-style bankers out to screw their customers? Politicians who lie? Contractors who cut corners? So, yeah, just throw them all out. Sorry, but I find this post ludicrous.

You could use that word and say that about any recruit though. the story didn't really explain how or why he could become the most important recruit either.
Didn't it hint that he could become the highest rated recruit NU BB history. That could make it important, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT