ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Michigan vs. Northwestern...

How many teams have beaten ANY top 25 teams?

[Northwestern raises hand.]

Right now the current top 25 has 16 undefeated teams and nine one-loss teams. Those losses came to:

Current #14 Ole Miss, current #11 Florida, current #6 Clemson, current #13 Northwestern, current #16 Stanford, current #5 Utah, current #8 Alabama, unranked Arizona State, and BYU.

So yeah, Michigan beat a team that beat the #25 ranked Boise St. team. Northwestern beat a team that beat #17 USC. Great for everyone.

How far down to we have to go down this rabbit hole? Do we start looking at Northwestern beating Duke beating Georgia Tech who lost to Notre Dame who needed a miracle to beat Virginia?

I'm looking forward to Saturday. I think NU can win. You think Michigan can win. We're both right in thinking what we think, but only one team will prevail. I hope it's NU. Good luck!

Go Cats.

That #17 USC team looked really good losing to unranked Washington at home last night.

That #17 USC team looked really good losing to unranked Washington at home last night.

Did you know that Northwestern actually BETTER than Michigan the past 3 years even though we lost?

http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...orthwestern&loser=Michigan&year=2014&method=2
http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...orthwestern&loser=Michigan&year=2013&method=2
http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...orthwestern&loser=Michigan&year=2012&method=2

Tomorrow guys. We all get to find out who's better tomorrow.

Gosh. Now I'm beginning to wonder if even playing the game tells us anything.

As long as Utah keeps winning, Michigan fans will proudly wear that loss as a Red Badge of Legitimacy. After losing to NU, they can add that proudly to their growing list of losing to top teams.

Reactions: PurpleHaze525
but... but... Michigan lost to Utah, who is very good.

but... but... Michigan lost to Utah, who is very good.
Like I said earlier just take it easy on us, we're hanging tenuously on to the all-time series lead. I just hope we don't get lost going to the stadium and break triple digits in total yards, scoring a field goal and holding you guys to below 30 puts would be a bonus against the ascendant power by The Lake. Call off Bo Jr. when he hits 250 yds okay?

You beat me to both of these points. It's amazing how proud they are of that loss to Utah.

Exactly! This ain't your daddy's MICHIGAN. They're proud of losses now. Bo must be rolling over in his grave. Michigan is an also ran now, just like ND. "We almost beat a good team!" That sounds incredibly like the crap I used to hear from NU fans in the Dark Ages. How the mighty have fallen ...

I am sure Michigan has a strong defense, but they have yet to face a top tier offense (measured by yards per game). Utah would be the highest ranked, at 76, then BYU (81), UNLV (87), Ore St (111) and Mayland (114).

The Cats have achieved comparable results against better offenses of Stanford (31), BS (61), and Duke (62).

Defensively, this sure looks like a draw to me.

Exactly! This ain't your daddy's MICHIGAN. They're proud of losses now. Bo must be rolling over in his grave. Michigan is an also ran now, just like ND. "We almost beat a good team!" That sounds incredibly like the crap I used to hear from NU fans in the Dark Ages. How the mighty have fallen ...

Not to mention, they did not ALMOST beat Utah. They were losing 24-10 midway through the fourth quarter. They had a nice little comeback at the end but the game wasn't really that close.

Some would say this is a loser's approach to redeeming losses, but whom am I to argue?

Like I said earlier just take it easy on us, we're hanging tenuously on to the all-time series lead. I just hope we don't get lost going to the stadium and break triple digits in total yards, scoring a field goal and holding you guys to below 30 puts would be a bonus against the ascendant power by The Lake. Call off Bo Jr. when he hits 250 yds okay?
Bo is dead and the Big Ten is far better than is was in the 70's. Good luck attempting to get back to your past "glory" days.

Not to mention, they did not ALMOST beat Utah. They were losing 24-10 midway through the fourth quarter. They had a nice little comeback at the end but the game wasn't really that close.
I think that loss might be quite so shiny after tomorrow.

Bo is dead and the Big Ten is far better than is was in the 70's. Good luck attempting to get back to your past "glory" days.
Well since you've managed 4 wins vs UM since the inglorious 70s, maybe NU has some ways to go to recapture your own glory, I'm feeling great about UM's chances of returning to the glories of 10 years ago. But hey good luck tomorrow, though if your play matches the rhetoric here I guess you won't be needing it

UM has no impact players. Zip, zero.

Moreover, they have abelow avg qb and mediocre receivers and rbs.
Butt is their star, period.

Harbaugh has held it together with glue but 4 losses are on the way, starting tomorrow

Reactions: kreggk
I am sure Michigan has a strong defense, but they have yet to face a top tier offense (measured by yards per game). Utah would be the highest ranked, at 76, then BYU (81), UNLV (87), Ore St (111) and Mayland (114).

The Cats have achieved comparable results against better offenses of Stanford (31), BS (61), and Duke (62).

Defensively, this sure looks like a draw to me.

FWIW, we aren't exactly a top tier offense either.

Just like Minnesota fans here were of TCU.

Regardless, between our game and Cal-Utah, we're all going to learn a lot about Michigan this weekend. I'd like to see Utah win because Dykes is a jackwagon, but all the talk this week reminds me greatly of the talk last week. The difference is that Michigan's defense, Ojemudia aside, is healthier than Minny's was without Boddy-Calhoun and other members of their secondary, Rudock is somewhat better than Leidner, and this one's on the road. But if Thorson continues to improve the way many of us think he will and protects the ball above all, we've got a good shot to hold serve.

Not certain if Rudock is better than Leidner. There is a reason he is no longer the QB at Iowa....

Newsflash. UM beat UNLV, Oregon State, Maryland and BYU at home. BYU played UM after playing at UNL, Boise State and at UCLA. Could they have run out of gas v. UM? NU has beaten Stanford and went to Duke and beat them? Who has the better resume?

The question was who does NU have on offense? 4 star Illinois High School Player of the Year - Sophomore Justin Jackson, 4-star RS FR QB Clayton Thorsen, Sr. 4-year starting WR Christian Jones, four-year starter Vitale at FB/Superback. Improving offensive line.

NU has four NFL future draftees on defense in DE Dean Lowry, MLB Anthony Walker, S Iguibuike, CB Matthew Harris and maybe Van Hoose. Where are all the draftable UM players - maybe TE Jake Butt and who else? Taco? They have a nice team, but this team is not filled with NFL players like in 1970s-1990s when the players were all getting nice cars and the car industry was booming.
Got you the first time. No need to repeat. As far as draftable Michigan players (once they are eligible) I'd say Peppers for sure, Lewis for sure, both Glasgows, Willie Henry, Butt for sure, Wormley, Hill. Too soon to say on a few others. We are missing Joe Kerridge, our starting FB and captain. Hoping to have Deveon Smith back and Stribbling at corner. I like Northwestern's team, but they didn't look that great against Ball State. It's tough to compare records. Michigan lost to #5 Utah at Utah by a TD in our first game with a new coach and QB. Crushed everyone since, including #22 (at the time) BYU. Northwestern's signature win was Stanford, of course. Duke was nice win, too. I expect a close game.

Slightly OT but I didn't think it deserved its own thread: the line opened at Michigan -12 then immediately dropped and settled at -7.5 for the past couple days. Then tonight it jumped back up to -10 all at once. Either a HUGE bet was made or Vegas got some news. Like a key suspension or injury for the Wildcats. Anyone know anything?

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Yeah, it is just that Vegas was counting on the Mojo Moose to show up. With the Northwestern defense playing as well as it is the Mojo Moose didn't see the need to come raid my raspberry patch once again to add karma for this week's win.

photo_zpsf9983abb.jpg

I don't feel UM's defense is any better necessarily than NU's. Northwestern has been very impressive in their dominating wins vs Stanford, a great team, and Minnesota. I don't think this game is an easy assured win for UM, unlike apparently from this thread a few Northwestern fans that think that UM is a gimme!
Quote of the night~
Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident.
~Arthur Schopenhauer

Well since you've managed 4 wins vs UM since the inglorious 70s, maybe NU has some ways to go to recapture your own glory, I'm feeling great about UM's chances of returning to the glories of 10 years ago. But hey good luck tomorrow, though if your play matches the rhetoric here I guess you won't be needing it
Yes, the magical Harbaugh Wolverines are back!!!!!

BTW, your "glory years" were back in 1940's. That was the last time um was ranked in the top 5 in back to back seasons. 1/2 of a national championship in 66 years isn't very much "glory". Yeah, your glory years certainly weren't a decade (ten years) ago. And if you want to point to the 1970's, only OSU, and occasionally MSU was any good that decade. um started each season with 9 guaranteed wins. Golly,um has been quite the powerhouse.....except in bowl games and vs quality teams. Vs. teams with losing records? Yep, um might be the best.

BTW, your "glory years" were back in 1940's. That was the last time um was ranked in the top 5 in back to back seasons. 1/2 of a national championship in 66 years isn't very much "glory". Yeah, your glory years certainly weren't a decade (ten years) ago. And if you want to point to the 1970's, only OSU, and occasionally MSU was any good that decade. um started each season with 9 guaranteed wins. Golly,um has been quite the powerhouse.....except in bowl games and vs quality teams. Vs. teams with losing records? Yep, um might be the best.
I didn't even make it through the first sentence before realizing you don't know what the hell you're talking about...here's your primer and homework: Michigan was 3 pts away from the NC game in 2006 and had plenty of close calls before that and a truck load of Big 10 championships in the 80s and 90s. Sorry Eric, my conclusion is your moniker must represent your HS graduation year, because you don't know a damn thing about UM.

Look up the following seasons in the last 50 years, note UM's within a hair's breath most times of a NC, and see what you see...

And why in the world do you bring up the 1997 season, when UM did everything necessary to obtain (beating the snot out of a top 5 Penn State at Happy Valley, beating a very good Ohio State team, and defeating Washington St. in the RB) and keep the number one ranking only to have half it taken away as a retirement gift for Tom Osbourne as a knock-down argument of incompetence or irrelevance or whatever you're blathering about.

Last edited:
Reactions: wychowca

Apparently NW is not a quality team. Maybe they can beat Iowa next week.

UM has no impact players. Zip, zero.

Moreover, they have abelow avg qb and mediocre receivers and rbs.
Butt is their star, period.

Harbaugh has held it together with glue but 4 losses are on the way, starting tomorrow
It will be fun watching you be embarrassed this year. MSU=most overrated team in the country

Duke scored there only TD after an INT that got returned to the 26. So I'm going to say that's 4 points off our total since it's mostly the offenses fault. 3 of Ball State's points were off a fumble giving them the ball at the 50, so I'm going to take 1 point away. 7 more were off another fumble giving them the ball at the 22. So that's another 4 points off. That's a total of 9 points off. Our defense is responsible for 26 points instead of 35 which is 5.2 points per game.

See this is how stupid you sound. Nobody cares how you score points. You gave up 7.6 points a game. We gave up 7. 7<7.6.

Strength of schedule is great... when you're comparing teams with an equal number of wins and losses. You lost to the really good team you played. We beat all our teams including 1 really good one in Stanford. We played EIU which brought our SOS way down. Also, computer metrics do not account for how BYU won 2 of their games.
Shakes! Dang, you guys suck. Your predictions are the worst! I'm not sure you could have sucked more than you did. Maybe you want to follow another team?

Shakes and Eric I think you owe this thread some retractions ;), I simply tried to make the point that this is the best coached UM team I've seen in two decades. They're not the most talented (I sure wish we had Harbaugh when we were loaded in the mid-00s) but the most disciplined and intense team under an outstanding coaching staff I've seen at Michigan for decades.

Having said that I love Fitzgerald and I hope you guys don't get impatient and send him impetuously out the door. Great hanging with you guys this week, I hope we see you again in Indy

Last edited:
And the big loser in this thread was shakes3858 -- will his ego ever recover from the drubbing it took here?

Good luck this season -- I like Fitz -- but make no mistake, NU is not in UM's class.

Gosh. Now I'm beginning to wonder if even playing the game tells us anything.
Obviously not. I don’t think the outcome of the game has any relevance. Let the debate continue as if there were no Saturday 10/9/15. It was just a figment of our collective imaginations.

And the big loser in this thread was shakes3858 -- will his ego ever recover from the drubbing it took here?

Good luck this season -- I like Fitz -- but make no mistake, NU is not in UM's class.
The sun came out this morning, my mother still loves me, I'm still gainfully employed, and am in good health.

I'd like to see this game again without us spotting you guys 14 points. We're not a team that is designed to play from behind. But yesterday, we got down and you took it to us for every bit of 60 minutes and dominated every phase of the game.

Reactions: detroitjohn
Shakes and Eric I think you owe this thread some retractions ;), I simply tried to make the point that this is the best coached UM team I've seen in two decades. They're not the most talented (I sure wish we had Harbaugh when we were loaded in the mid-00s) but the most disciplined and intense team under an outstanding coaching staff I've seen at Michigan for decades.

Having said that I love Fitzgerald and I hope you guys don't get impatient and send him impetuously out the door. Great hanging with you guys this week, I hope we see you again in Indy

I am trying to figure out how you guys lost to Utah. Impressive show on Saturday, to say the least.

Good luck the rest of the way. Enjoy the ride!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT