ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Smith of Edwardsville

Besides seeing a W, he also felt the incredible crowd noise, which I think will make him want to come. Having him next year would mean lose Tap and Sanjay and get Falzon, Rap, Gaines and Smith. That will be some team next year.

Crowd was as loud as I can remember with 95 percent NU fans or more. Some ushers were shocked that NU sold out the Rutgers game. You could feel the crowd trying to will the team to a win. Also, from Collins quotes in interviews that we are looking a 5th year graduate transfer who in my opinion should be a big man next season for the 13th scholarship. A player who has some post moves at the center or power forward position who clear some of the Big 10 bigs out of the paint like the enormous Isaac Haas.

Crowd was as loud as I can remember with 95 percent NU fans or more. Some ushers were shocked that NU sold out the Rutgers game. You could feel the crowd trying to will the team to a win. Also, from Collins quotes in interviews that we are looking a 5th year graduate transfer who in my opinion should be a big man next season for the 13th scholarship. A player who has some post moves at the center or power forward position who clear some of the Big 10 bigs out of the paint like the enormous Isaac Haas.
I thought IND was louder for the whole game but at the end, this one was pretty wild. Great game to have him at. Great atmosphere

That was the best atmosphere I've experienced in 10 years of going to 80+% games each season. I'm sure we made an impression on Mark Smith and anyone else who was there. It's what we've always envisioned: overflowing with students, all purple, physically shaking towards the end. I don't know what it sounded like on TV, but you'd be hard pressed to top that. It was amazing.

Also, the puppy stunt was fantastic. If anyone has any insight as to how that happened, I'd love to hear the story.

The puppy, for those who weren't at the game, was held up in the student section and was shown on the video boards toward the end of the game. The guy holding it up was none other than the Speedo Dancer, now dressed more modestly. The scene resembled the end of The Lion King, where Simba's new cub was held up for all to behold. Another true cinematic Cat miracle, interpreted by Mr. Speedo and his dog. I love this Country.

The puppy, for those who weren't at the game, was held up in the student section and was shown on the video boards toward the end of the game. The guy holding it up was none other than the Speedo Dancer, now dressed more modestly. The scene resembled the end of The Lion King, where Simba's new cub was held up for all to behold. Another true cinematic Cat miracle, interpreted by Mr. Speedo and his dog. I love this Country.

I'm pretty sure the guy reenacting the Lion King with the puppy was James Prather. He's a superback (moved from DE this past season) on the football team. He's been to just about every single basketball game and ALWAYS ends up on the dance cam. Seems like a genuine and likable guy. The speedo guy is a senior who, to the best of my knowledge, does not participate in any varsity athletics. Maybe I missed speedo guy revealing the puppy and giving it to Prather. If so, my bad. Both guys definitely deserve kudos for their contributions to the festive atmosphere at Welsh-Ryan, though!

That's good. Imagine a backcourt of dosunmu, smith, brown and cohill as our guards. Very nice

That's good. Imagine a backcourt of dosunmu, smith, brown and cohill as our guards. Very nice

Getting an early verbal from a player of Dosunmu's caliber for the 2018 class would do wonders, imo, for helping to recruit the remainder of that class. Landing the currently perceived (by some scouts) best PG in the state regardless of class and a Chicago kid would be a major coup and a sign for me that the program has turned the corner and heading towards sustained success. I'd be thrilled!

Getting an early verbal from a player of Dosunmu's caliber for the 2018 class would do wonders, imo, for helping to recruit the remainder of that class. Landing the currently perceived (by some scouts) best PG in the state regardless of class and a Chicago kid would be a major coup and a sign for me that the program has turned the corner and heading towards sustained success. I'd be thrilled!

No currently perceived about it, I've watched Ayo play multiple times and he is fantastic. Would be a great get as would Smith.

No currently perceived about it, I've watched Ayo play multiple times and he is fantastic. Would be a great get as would Smith.
Or according to you, anyone from Chicago. Some of your previous all world chicago picks ended up as busts. I think we are better to trust Collins on this.

Or according to you, anyone from Chicago. Some of your previous all world chicago picks ended up as busts. I think we are better to trust Collins on this.
Dude - he was one who wasn't very high on Lindsey. Corbi gives a fair assessment of kids he's actually seen play in person, which I find very helpful. just ignore it if for some reason you think he is blowing smoke about every kid from Chicago

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Dude - he was one who wasn't very high on Lindsey. Corbi gives a fair assessment of kids he's actually seen play in person, which I find very helpful. just ignore it if for some reason you think he is blowing smoke about every kid from Chicago

Those posts weren't what I would characterize as bad posts. (I remember the content, but not the poster) Someone saw Scottie play a ton his junior and senior year of high school and said simply that he didn't see it. So if that was Corbi I'd agree with Windy's characterization of "fair" which does not always project accurately.

I've been genuinely interested in that person's take on this year. Not a "I want to rub it in your face" query, but a "what do you see that's different and what surprises you."

I'm pretty sure the guy reenacting the Lion King with the puppy was James Prather.
True. Like you said, our WillieSimbaCatDog was definitely getting passed around a lot around the west student section toward the end of our amazing comeback victory. (It ended up with Thorson and friend.) And it brought the house down when it went on the video board. I hope it survived the love fest.

Those posts weren't what I would characterize as bad posts. (I remember the content, but not the poster) Someone saw Scottie play a ton his junior and senior year of high school and said simply that he didn't see it. So if that was Corbi I'd agree with Windy's characterization of "fair" which does not always project accurately.

I've been genuinely interested in that person's take on this year. Not a "I want to rub it in your face" query, but a "what do you see that's different and what surprises you."

I remember it was something to the effect of, and I don't want to misquote Corbi as he is one of the posters whose opinion I most respect so apologies beforehand if wrong, saying that Lindsey didn't seem like he was "bringing it" on every play. I might actually agree Lindsey doesn't exactly have the highest motor, just makes up for it with his length and talents to be a great player in the B1G. It comes with the territory with making predictions, you get some wrong.

If Corbi thought Lindsey wasn't bringing it on every play in HS, he was also totally right about his first 2 years at NU. Breakout junior years usually require something other than changes in raw ability, and he has had a stellar breakout junior year.

Reactions: ricko654321
If Corbi thought Lindsey wasn't bringing it on every play in HS, he was also totally right about his first 2 years at NU. Breakout junior years usually require something other than changes in raw ability, and he has had a stellar breakout junior year.
Think that it's been quoted that Collins had a sit down with Lindsey, during the off season, basically letting him know that the time right for him to extend himself for the whole game.

I remember it was something to the effect of, and I don't want to misquote Corbi as he is one of the posters whose opinion I most respect so apologies beforehand if wrong, saying that Lindsey didn't seem like he was "bringing it" on every play. I might actually agree Lindsey doesn't exactly have the highest motor, just makes up for it with his length and talents to be a great player in the B1G. It comes with the territory with making predictions, you get some wrong.

That was the gist of it and I appreciate someone accurately recollecting what I posted. Natural talent was never in question with Lindsey but a lack of focus and consistency, aggressiveness on the offensive end and commitment on the defensive end were the problems that concerned. He just seemed to float through games and often was out produced by several less talented players. He was probably never better than the 3rd offensive option on his own HS team which was not a powerhouse at the time. My comments during the recruitment were that people would be disappointed if they expected a player capable of immediately contributing but given a few years he could become a capable Big Ten starter. He has clearly out produced my prediction and no one is happier about it than I am. After all, as Wickerpark indicated, I am clearly a "homer" for Chicago kids and my observations are clearly favorably biased.

Reactions: ricko654321
That was the gist of it and I appreciate someone accurately recollecting what I posted. Natural talent was never in question with Lindsey but a lack of focus and consistency, aggressiveness on the offensive end and commitment on the defensive end were the problems that concerned. He just seemed to float through games and often was out produced by several less talented players. He was probably never better than the 3rd offensive option on his own HS team which was not a powerhouse at the time. My comments during the recruitment were that people would be disappointed if they expected a player capable of immediately contributing but given a few years he could become a capable Big Ten starter. He has clearly out produced my prediction and no one is happier about it than I am. After all, as Wickerpark indicated, I am clearly a "homer" for Chicago kids and my observations are clearly favorably biased.
You are a homer. Nothing wrong with it. You have mentioned dozens of players in chicagoland that you thought Fitz should have recruited. I have learned to trust Fitz over your wild recruiting assertions over 1 star recruits who you have personally seen.

You are a homer. Nothing wrong with it. You have mentioned dozens of players in chicagoland that you thought Fitz should have recruited. I have learned to trust Fitz over your wild recruiting assertions over 1 star recruits who you have personally seen.

Name one.

Also, Lindsey kinda sucked for his first two years. Even if he becomes a 1,000-point scorer, corbi is still half right.
Name one.
Some west suburban tight end. Fleeder? Fleeker? Gleener? First name was Cory or Kobe or Colby or Cody.

You wrote about him for months. Never heard of him again. </s>

(PS - you nailed the Lindsey assessment.)

Also, Lindsey kinda sucked for his first two years. Even if he becomes a 1,000-point scorer, corbi is still half right.

Some west suburban tight end. Fleeder? Fleeker? Gleener? First name was Cory or Kobe or Colby or Cody.

Oh yes, I forgot about Coby Fleener. He really sucked at Stanford and in the NFL. I really blew it on that one.

NU really did miss out on Fleener. Now playing in the NFL

NU really did miss out on Fleener. Now playing in the NFL
I started reading rivals in the spring of 2006 (how many years lost?). Corbi posted about Fleener every week, basically starting in October. "Why hasn't NU offered? What else does he have to do?" The offer never came, he became a star at Stanford, and I've taken Corbi seriously since.

Name one.
You arent worth my time naming all the ridiculous recruits that you questioned Fitz about. I trust Fitz knows the brand and recruits who fit in that brand over your homer comments anytime a kid in chicago has a 100 yard game or a lineman who has a pancake against lame competition. Same with basketball. You arent even a coach so you bring no credentials with you other than spectator.

You arent worth my time naming all the ridiculous recruits that you questioned Fitz about. I trust Fitz knows the brand and recruits who fit in that brand over your homer comments anytime a kid in chicago has a 100 yard game or a lineman who has a pancake against lame competition. Same with basketball. You arent even a coach so you bring no credentials with you other than spectator.
86y1W.gif

I would still appreciate you naming one, as I don't recall the many that you cite. And how would you know all of this is you are new to the board?

If it was Fleener, he went to Stanford and then to the pros

Turk, time to go back to your Flat Earth Society meetings. Good news, I heard your club just doubled in size when Kyrie Irving decided to join.

Turk, time to go back to your Flat Earth Society meetings. Good news, I heard your club just doubled in size when Kyrie Irving decided to join.

You think Wicker is Turk? The writing style reminds me of another recently departed poster.

First a lot scouts/evaluators were not coaches. Secondly many coaches make mistakes who they offer. yes, even Fitz. Finally would you please stop criticizing others and offer this board something/anything constructive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT