ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Smith of Edwardsville

Man, this thread sure veered off course...

Do we know if Smith was on an official, or just up to see the game? Any reaction from him? Sorry if this belongs on the rock. I'm not that familiar with recruiting restrictions, so pardon my ignorance here. Would it have been possible for Mark to meet Doug Collins and/or Greeny before or after the game on Saturday? I would think that too would leave an impression.

Looks like some new competition for Smith with Shakra Smart throwing his hat in the ring for Texas:

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/...guard-Mark-Smith-focused-on-relation-51344675

Last edited:

Do we know if Smith was on an official, or just up to see the game? Any reaction from him? Sorry if this belongs on the rock. I'm not that familiar with recruiting restrictions, so pardon my ignorance here. Would it have been possible for Mark to meet Doug Collins and/or Greeny before or after the game on Saturday? I would think that too would leave an impression.

Looks like some new competition for Smith with Shakra Smart throwing his hat in the ring for Texas:

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/...guard-Mark-Smith-focused-on-relation-51344675

Ugh, that program is built on the overrated Shaka Smart name. The havoc defense might have worked well in the A-10 but it isn't going to carry a power 5 team.

That said, Texas is tough competition for a recruit. While I think Shaka is completely overrated, many recruits seem to want to play for the guy.

You arent worth my time naming all the ridiculous recruits that you questioned Fitz about. I trust Fitz knows the brand and recruits who fit in that brand over your homer comments anytime a kid in chicago has a 100 yard game or a lineman who has a pancake against lame competition. Same with basketball. You arent even a coach so you bring no credentials with you other than spectator.

In other words, you can't name one.

Ohio State just offered as well. Smith is legit and would be a big get for NU.

Smith is legit and would be a big get for NU

Where have you heard that before Corbi? Like before Indiana and Texas and OSU offered?

Smith is an easy top 100 talent for the 2017 class.

GOUNUII

It is... life long Illini fan. Waiting for coaching saga to sort out. Still hope you guys make the tourney. Good luck!

Reactions: mickbula
It is... life long Illini fan. Waiting for coaching saga to sort out. Still hope you guys make the tourney. Good luck!
Doesn't look like a coaching change will be happening, now that the illini are challenging for a NCAA tourney spot.

Doesn't look like a coaching change will be happening, now that the illini are challenging for a NCAA tourney spot.

Because Illinois won two back-to-back conference games for the first time in two years?

I think for Groce to stay he has to win the BTT.

Despite the two losses, I'd rather play an Illinois team with Groce as the coach than whoever the AD may hire to replace him. So here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Because Illinois won two back-to-back conference games for the first time in two years?

I think for Groce to stay he has to win the BTT.

Despite the two losses, I'd rather play an Illinois team with Groce as the coach than whoever the AD may hire to replace him. So here's to hoping I'm wrong.
I'm hoping for the same. NU might be able to get a W from them in the tournament.

I'm hoping for the same. NU might be able to get a W from them in the tournament.

Willy, you may be the top hoops historian on this board....there's an article in today's Sun-Times on the 72 Thornridge team you should check out.

Groce is gone unless he makes the Tournament, and that ain't happenin'. He's completely lost the fan base, and given how toxic of an AD Mike Thomas was, I think Illini fans are hungry to see what coach Whitman can reel in with deep booster pockets behind him, especially after the Lovie surprise. Whatever you think of that hire, everyone on this board would have laughed at the possibility before it happened, so I'm excited to see a hire that gets our basketball program back to the norm.

I like Groce, he's a good guy, and I'm happy they're showing signs of life again. But winning two of three games doesn't erase five miserable years. :(

Willy, you may be the top hoops historian on this board....there's an article in today's Sun-Times on the 72 Thornridge team you should check out.
Saw that, thanks. Got to see that Thornridge team and also a pretty good squad as well.

Actually might choose Chicago State over the illini.

He was up in Evanston this past weekend when it was mild weather and people were walking along the lake. The Chicago skyline was visible from campus and he got to see models of the new lake front facility and the plans for Welsh Ryan.

I don't know where he's going but it couldn't have been a better February weekend to have him on campus.

My guess is that Collins updated the pitch he used on BMac ("you can lead us into the tourney") to "you can lead us to the final four."

That Thornridge squad was far and away the best Illinois high school basketball team I have ever seen play. Utterly dominant, and yet they won with grace and class.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Is there any speculation on what our chances are now with Mark Smith? When does he need to decide? I really would love to see this young fellow come to NU. I feel very confident that he would find a great deal of success- on and off the court if he were to decide to come to NU for college.

He was up in Evanston this past weekend when it was mild weather and people were walking along the lake. The Chicago skyline was visible from campus and he got to see models of the new lake front facility and the plans for Welsh Ryan.

I don't know where he's going but it couldn't have been a better February weekend to have him on campus.

My guess is that Collins updated the pitch he used on BMac ("you can lead us into the tourney") to "you can lead us to the final four."
Yes it is an advantage. But he is from the Midwest so he is used to whatever we get. If he had been from FL or West Coast, it would have been far more of an advantage to have a nice weekend.

Yes it is an advantage. But he is from the Midwest so he is used to whatever we get. If he had been from FL or West Coast, it would have been far more of an advantage to have a nice weekend.
Good point. He may decide that this global warming thing is getting pretty scary and commit to play at Alaska-Anchorage. ;)

Reactions: IGNORE2
Is there any speculation on what our chances are now with Mark Smith? When does he need to decide? I really would love to see this young fellow come to NU. I feel very confident that he would find a great deal of success- on and off the court if he were to decide to come to NU for college.
While I agree that Smith is and should be NU's #1 target I seem to remember that NU was also looking at a couple of other guards, although not sure if any others were offered. Thinking that a guard, preferably one that can handle the point should be NU's top priority for next season. Anyone remember the other guards that were mentioned?

While I agree that Smith is and should be NU's #1 target I seem to remember that NU was also looking at a couple of other guards, although not sure if any others were offered. Thinking that a guard, preferably one that can handle the point should be NU's top priority for next season. Anyone remember the other guards that were mentioned?

I don't think we have any other legitimate targets beyond Smith for 2017. Here is what Rivals knows of... just hit the search button.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa...:%5B%22undecided%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D

For 2018, I believe that Dwayne Cohill and Ayo Dosunmu are the primary PG targets based on what I've read. Landing one or both of these guys would enable Smith to play the 2 (Lindsey's role) in the offense where I personally believe he's a better fit based on the tape I've watched. I'd also love to see Brown develop as a 1 so that we can have more length at the 2. Smith seems like more of a scorer than a facilitator.

Here's the link for the 2018 offers. Again, hit the search button.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa...:%5B%22undecided%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D

I don't think we have any other legitimate targets beyond Smith for 2017. Here is what Rivals knows of... just hit the search button.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formValues=%7B%22sport%22:%22Basketball%22,%22position_group.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22position.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22recruit_year%22:2017,%22college.common_name%22:%5B%22Northwestern%22%5D,%22offer%22:true,%22status%22:%5B%22undecided%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D

For 2018, I believe that Dwayne Cohill and Ayo Dosunmu are the primary PG targets based on what I've read. Landing one or both of these guys would enable Smith to play the 2 (Lindsey's role) in the offense where I personally believe he's a better fit based on the tape I've watched. I'd also love to see Brown develop as a 1 so that we can have more length at the 2. Smith seems like more of a scorer than a facilitator.

Here's the link for the 2018 offers. Again, hit the search button.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formValues=%7B%22sport%22:%22Basketball%22,%22position_group.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22position.abbreviation%22:%22%22,%22recruit_year%22:2018,%22college.common_name%22:%5B%22Northwestern%22%5D,%22offer%22:true,%22status%22:%5B%22undecided%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1%7D
Thanks. Any thoughts on Duke or Carmody kids?

Just saw Smith in concourse at IU Assembly Hall. What are the odds? Hopefully we can take down the Hoosiers, and he can listen to their fans boo Crean.

Just saw Smith in concourse at IU Assembly Hall. What are the odds? Hopefully we can take down the Hoosiers, and he can listen to their fans boo Crean.

I dont get it. IU have 3 guys signed to LOI's and just one senior, Collin Hartman. Bryant will probably go to the NBA, but then they are still 1 over the scholarship limit. Someone gonna get Creaned, or 2 guys if Smith goes there.

I dont get it. IU have 3 guys signed to LOI's and just one senior, Collin Hartman. Bryant will probably go to the NBA, but then they are still 1 over the scholarship limit. Someone gonna get Creaned, or 2 guys if Smith goes there.

That is odd, and for me would be an immediate deal breaker. Unfortunately I have no athletic ability. :)

Wish we knew something about these visits. I know, due to his baseball recruiting, he could only take two official visits for basketball. Is this one of them? Do / did the Cats get an official?

Have we had a story on Smith on this site yet? Perhaps I missed it.

Anunoby and Blackmon will both go pro.

Well then, he better commit within the next couple of weeks, otherwise that pitch is gonna be out of date too

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT