ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to visit NU this weekend.

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Per ESPN via Jeff Borzello on Twitter - Mooney to visit Creighton this week and NU this weekend.

Other three in final five are Utah State, Arizona State and Texas Tech.

If so, then no decision until at least mid-May.

Don’t believe he’s under any kind of timeline. Just has to enroll at his school of choice in time to participate. Probably has to graduate from USD in May anyway.

Reactions: nickcat4
I assume his main motivation to not wait too long is the possibility that a scholarship may not be available. His finalists are looking at multiple guys and may get a commitment or two from other transfers and have no scholarships left.

I assume his main motivation to not wait too long is the possibility that a scholarship may not be available. His finalists are looking at multiple guys and may get a commitment or two from other transfers and have no scholarships left.

Guarantee you that he's discussed that with each of his finalists and likely feels comfortable with the situation at each school.

If so, then no decision until at least mid-May.

This means that if he visits all 5 schools there is no decision. I'm really hoping Mr. Mooney wants to play close to home for his last year. The new Welsh Ryan is about 8 miles from his high school.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
This means that if he visits all 5 schools there is no decision. I'm really hoping Mr. Mooney wants to play close to home for his last year. The new Welsh Ryan is about 8 miles from his high school.

Here's hoping he's homesick after a couple years in the Badlands of SD. Graduate degree has to be very attractive relative to that set of schools. Gotta think for a 5th year guy, the maturity and with (likely/possible) life after basketball so much more imminent, this is a bigger factor than for a 17 year old kid.

That is what he says but with the others he is looking at have to question whether he really means it.

He said it a couple times including before he transferred to SD

If that's the case, then we really have to like our chances.

Wonder what this means for Lathon - who was pencilled in as LG/PG. Though I guess neither Mooney or Taylor are PGs.

Maybe we go with Taylor at SF, Law at PF, and Pardon at C.

If we land Mooney, all of a sudden, this looks like a real interesting year for NU hoops. Certainly will have no dearth of scoring options. Can't help to think we should be far more improved over last year and better than ever.

If that's the case, then we really have to like our chances.

Wonder what this means for Lathon - who was pencilled in as LG/PG. Though I guess neither Mooney or Taylor are PGs.

Maybe we go with Taylor at SF, Law at PF, and Pardon at C.

If we land Mooney, all of a sudden, this looks like a real interesting year for NU hoops. Certainly will have no dearth of scoring options. Can't help to think we should be far more improved over last year and better than ever.

It shouldn’t change much for Lathon — he’s a natural LG, and if he’s ready to start, he will start.

The difference for NU is that if Lathon is not ready to start, then he won’t have to. It’s not a perfect lineup, but a veteran starting five of Mooney-Taylor-Turner-Law-Pardon would be very interesting. Plenty of length and plenty of scoring punch.

The ultimate starting five could still be Lathon-Taylor-Law-Nance-Pardon by season’s end, with Mooney playing the Tre Demps sixth-man scorer role. Lots of options.

Reactions: IGNORE2
It shouldn’t change much for Lathon — he’s a natural LG, and if he’s ready to start, he will start.

The difference for NU is that if Lathon is not ready to start, then he won’t have to. It’s not a perfect lineup, but a veteran starting five of Mooney-Taylor-Turner-Law-Pardon would be very interesting. Plenty of length and plenty of scoring punch.

The ultimate starting five could still be Lathon-Taylor-Law-Nance-Pardon by season’s end, with Mooney playing the Tre Demps sixth-man scorer role. Lots of options.

If he chooses NU, Mooney starts the entire season, barring injury. Maybe Lathon starts next to him, maybe not.

Another spot is between Taylor, Turner and Kopp. Whoever shows the most on the court.

Vic may not be a starter from day one if he's not 100%.

Falzon may get pushed to first or second off the bench.

If Mooney comes, NU rises to third or fourth in the conference and is looking to win the conference. It would be a pretty loaded team playing back at home.

If he chooses NU, Mooney starts the entire season, barring injury. Maybe Lathon starts next to him, maybe not.

Another spot is between Taylor, Turner and Kopp. Whoever shows the most on the court.

Vic may not be a starter from day one if he's not 100%.

Falzon may get pushed to first or second off the bench.

If Mooney comes, NU rises to third or fourth in the conference and is looking to win the conference. It would be a pretty loaded team playing back at home.

I think this touches a real good point. I’m going to throw out my new starting five in the pre Mooney decision.

Lathon
Taylor
Turner
Nance
Pardon

W gaines, Kopp, Falzon and Benson rounding out the rotation.

Probably see some Ash too.

Young starts out trying to take a shirt ala Pardon. Law out until he is 100% and beats out one of Taylor, Turner or Kopp.

I think this touches a real good point. I’m going to throw out my new starting five in the pre Mooney decision.

Lathon
Taylor
Turner
Nance
Pardon

W gaines, Kopp, Falzon and Benson rounding out the rotation.

Probably see some Ash too.

Young starts out trying to take a shirt ala Pardon. Law out until he is 100% and beats out one of Taylor, Turner or Kopp.
Unless there is a health issue... Law starts on day one. He doesn't have to beat anyone out. Maybe I misunderstood how you phrased that.

Unless there is a health issue... Law starts on day one. He doesn't have to beat anyone out. Maybe I misunderstood how you phrased that.
I think xyzkonBob was referring to the mysterious surgery Vic had to address his breathing issue. At the time it was announced it was said that he would take 4-6 months to recuperate (? my memory isn't clear on the time). I agree with you, if Vic is 100% he is a starter.

I think xyzkonBob was referring to the mysterious surgery Vic had to address his breathing issue. At the time it was announced it was said that he would take 4-6 months to recuperate (? my memory isn't clear on the time). I agree with you, if Vic is 100% he is a starter.

I agree Vic starts if healthy on day one. But, thoracic surgery is no joke. 4-6 months of recovery - plus I ponder what the doctors would say about contact. Then you have to rebuild conditioning. Anywho, this is worse case scenario. And I will add, if CCC loses three scholarship players and still manages to put a competitive team on the floor, I will be impressed. In my mind, that lineup I suggested, that could be a competitive team.

Still, as the Board realist, I am going to stick with my thought that it is Lathon, Taylor, Turner, Nance & Pardon to start the opener with the right to make one more change if another grad transfer is signed.

I agree Vic starts if healthy on day one. But, thoracic surgery is no joke. 4-6 months of recovery - plus I ponder what the doctors would say about contact. Then you have to rebuild conditioning. Anywho, this is worse case scenario. And I will add, if CCC loses three scholarship players and still manages to put a competitive team on the floor, I will be impressed. In my mind, that lineup I suggested, that could be a competitive team.

Still, as the Board realist, I am going to stick with my thought that it is Lathon, Taylor, Turner, Nance & Pardon to start the opener with the right to make one more change if another grad transfer is signed.

I did not see that you had earlier picked Nance.

Interesting.

I did not see that you had earlier picked Nance.

Interesting.

Based on the way Falzon played last year, wouldn’t be surprised to see Nance get the nod from Day 1. I have long been a supporter of Aaron, but his rebounding was quite disappointing and his 3-point shooting didn’t make up for it the way Taphorn did. I hope with another year of coming back from injury he will surprise people.

I have long been a supporter of Aaron, but his rebounding was quite disappointing and his 3-point shooting didn’t make up for it the way Taphorn did.
FWIW, Falzon made 36 3's last year. Tap made all of 39 more in his Senior season, and had just 34 in the same number of games as Aaron played......yet some think Tap was more impactful. I think Tap's passing skill is more memorable than his 3 point shooting, although to his credit his final 2 3's in the 'Zaga game were clutch!! Dang!!!

Where's he saying that he wants to play close to home?
Free Willie posted in another thread that it was important to him to get home more often because family was important to him. Can't imagine getting home to often from Lubbock or any of the other schools an his list not named Northwestern

That’s a lot to expect of a very young and slender Nance.

GOUNUII

FWIW, Falzon made 36 3's last year. Tap made all of 39 more in his Senior season, and had just 34 in the same number of games as Aaron played......yet some think Tap was more impactful. I think Tap's passing skill is more memorable than his 3 point shooting, although to his credit his final 2 3's in the 'Zaga game were clutch!! Dang!!!
Tap also shot above 50% from 3. He had one of the most efficient shooting seasons I've seen from an NU player in a long time.

Man, you are fickle. Me and Lathon have played the same number of minutes for NU yet you have already thrown Ash under the bus. #Dang!!!!!!
Looks good on tap. Still think we need a two guard lineup. Ash is a solid defensive guy,but we may need a slasher and better ball handler! Just sayin!

I think one difference was that Tap played less minutes per game and was more instant O. Falzon started a number of games and Tap really didn't

That’s a lot to expect of a very young and slender Nance.

GOUNUII

I have seen him listed 20 pounds heavier and some recent pictures show a normal body, not big, not RI skinny. I think he could run as a S4 but struggle to defend the post against a traditional PF. Still, in any matchup, you don't often see two guys post up, so Pardon would likely make the switch on D or they would run a zone. At the same time, that PF would have to keep up with Nance on the other end. I think Nance could run a bunch of PFs into exhaustion. So I will stick with my predicted lineup - but readily admit, I may be wrong here.

I got Law, Mooney,Pardon,Turner,and Taylor starting. If Mooney doesn't come,Ash will start. My guess. Lathon may need a month to learn the offense. I was going to start six guys,but you guys know my tricks. Lol

My guess. Lathon may need a month to learn the offense.
It won't take a month to learn the NU offense. There are two plays: Play #1, pass the ball around the perimeter until there are 3 seconds left on the shot clock and then hoist a desperation three. Play #2, drive into the lane and dish off to Dererk. I think Lathon will catch on pretty quick!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT