ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to visit NU this weekend.

Disagree. We are parsing words, of course, but his compliments about Creighton were very generic, and then he essentially said the same about NU, “plus, they’re close to my family.” Sure, it will be a basketball decision, but I’m saying all else equal (getting starter minutes, good rapport with coaches and players), that still seems like a factor that he’s thinking about and which helps NU.
In the past, he said closeness to family, academics, etc. Then he went to SD. This time he said it was primarily a BB decision not even pretending it was about being close to home academics etc. While there is a solid chance he will end up at NU, being close tow his family is not something for us to hang our hat on in expectations

Don't forget number 4 (playing time)

Not just PT, but related - I'm guessing he's looking at our roster and he's seeing another guy we just picked up who played his position, and whose usage rates and scoring load is off the charts, and is wondering if they can coexist.

Pure speculation, but this is a case where getting Taylor may have hurt our chances with Mooney.

If so, the one we got is better.

Between you and me, I like Taylor better. We need scoring big time, and he gives it. If we get Mooney, that's a bonus, but without him, I still like where we are this coming season.

NU is recruiting Mooney and Taylor to play different positions and play together.

I get that, and of course they are. There is no way they are telling Mooney, we just got another guy at the same position who scored 20+ a game and are expecting you guys to compete.

But, the fact is, they played the same position last year, you're asking one of them (most likely Taylor) to make a move. But, more importantly, you're asking one guy who took something like 60% of his team's shots to either bring it down significantly or another to be willing to play with that guy being the main scoring option. It's something I would think about if I were Mooney.

I get that, and of course they are. There is no way they are telling Mooney, we just got another guy at the same position who scored 20+ a game and are expecting you guys to compete.

But, the fact is, they played the same position last year, you're asking one of them (most likely Taylor) to make a move. But, more importantly, you're asking one guy who took something like 60% of his team's shots to either bring it down significantly or another to be willing to play with that guy being the main scoring option. It's something I would think about if I were Mooney.

Taylor's attempts will come way down whether Mooney joins or not. Lindsey took less than a quarter of NU's shots last year...Taylor will be in that ball park, maybe less.

If Mooney comes on board, he'd arguably have no shortage of opportunities to shoot.

The issue with this modern NU team isn't getting looks or open looks. It's knocking them down.

Looking at it through a strictly individualistic lens, if NU is markedly improved next year, makes the post season, etc., etc., and that improvement is attributed in great part to Mooney and Taylor, they don't have to score at the same rate to take the next step. Double digits scoring at a decent efficiency and other productivity at par with what they've done in the past, in the Big Ten Conference, gets them where they need to be. This is about playing up a level and it's unrealistic to think they'll match scoring numbers on a team with far more talent from what they produced last year.

Reactions: DaCat

Huh? Mooney would be the one making a move. He’d be the lead guard and have the offense run through him. Taylor would be a scoring wing as he always was.

NU’s offense was miserable at times last year. There is truly plenty of room for each of them to score 15-20 on a given night.

Huh? Mooney would be the one making a move. He’d be the lead guard and have the offense run through him. Taylor would be a scoring wing as he always was.

NU’s offense was miserable at times last year. There is truly plenty of room for each of them to score 15-20 on a given night.
Think you might have forgotten a guy by the name of Lathon

The issue with this modern NU team isn't getting looks or open looks. It's knocking them down.

Disagree. We are a team that takes too many bad/tough shots, doesn’t work for enough good shots sand doesn’t get the line enough.

I agree all those who feel we need all the experienced scorers we can get on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT