ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to visit NU this weekend.

It won't take a month to learn the NU offense. There are two plays: Play #1, pass the ball around the perimeter until there are 3 seconds left on the shot clock and then hoist a desperation three. Play #2, drive into the lane and dish off to Dererk. I think Lathon will catch on pretty quick!!

I disagree, repeatedly looking at the post player and then choosing to not pass will take Lathon and Mooney some time. The opening will be there, it'll be the right thing to do, but they've got to learn to just swing it around the perimeter.

Free Willie posted in another thread that it was important to him to get home more often because family was important to him. Can't imagine getting home to often from Lubbock or any of the other schools an his list not named Northwestern

To be fair, those were comments from when he was transferring from Air Force, and he chose to go to South Dakota.

Still, it shows where his head is at. And if he’s choosing where to play his final season, might be even more of a focus.

To be fair, those were comments from when he was transferring from Air Force, and he chose to go to South Dakota.

Still, it shows where his head is at. And if he’s choosing where to play his final season, might be even more of a focus.
It may be but then he promptly ignored what he said and chose a place that really did not check any of the boxes he laid out. Just saying hard to put much stock i what hes says until he is ready to sign on the bottom line

That is good to hear. Also, pretty sure Ben Pope meant Arizona State, not Arizona. Otherwise, our competition got even tougher.
Are you sure Arizona would be tougher competition than Arizona State right now? Has Sean Miller been cleared? :)

Are you sure Arizona would be tougher competition than Arizona State right now? Has Sean Miller been cleared? :)

Good point. That slipped my mind when I posted. I remember during the end of U of A's loss in the Tournament the announcers going on and on about this possibly being SM's last game and the uncertainty for the program.

Repeating myself, I know, but I think it's between ASU and NU. His parents either have an easy drive to WR for more than half the games (and the aways aren't that bad)....or they do a VRBO in Phoenix for the winter, which doesn't suck.

In both conferences he gets plenty of TV time.....plays against top talent....and is under the watchful eye of pro scouts literally 100% of the time.

Either way, he's put himself in a good place. Reminds me a little bit of Scott Skiles.

Creighton would be appealing from a basketball standpoint. They run a great offense for a guard without a ton of pressure to defend. Add the new downtown arena, strong fan support, and a good league.

Creighton would be appealing from a basketball standpoint. They run a great offense for a guard without a ton of pressure to defend. Add the new downtown arena, strong fan support, and a good league.
The Big East is simply a better basketball conference than the Big 10. Apart from DePaul all the schools compete, and having Nova in the conference gives them a headline program. So I say "great league", not just "good league".

The Big East is simply a better basketball conference than the Big 10. Apart from DePaul all the schools compete, and having Nova in the conference gives them a headline program. So I say "great league", not just "good league".

Respectfully disagree.

Villanova has been great, no doubt, but other than Butler eight or so years ago no other team is at that level.

Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown are all nice programs.

The Big Ten has quality bball programs....both the good.....and the great....in volume the Big East does not.

Repeating myself, I know, but I think it's between ASU and NU. His parents either have an easy drive to WR for more than half the games (and the aways aren't that bad)....or they do a VRBO in Phoenix for the winter, which doesn't suck.

In both conferences he gets plenty of TV time.....plays against top talent....and is under the watchful eye of pro scouts literally 100% of the time.

Either way, he's put himself in a good place. Reminds me a little bit of Scott Skiles.
How old are his parents? The VRBO might not be as much of an option for them if they aren't close to retirement. And as far as playing against top talent, the PAC has had pretty bad showing recently in NCAA and with a likely decline at AZ, it could get worse. So what top talent would he be playing against and top TV coverage? Where?

Creighton may be a nice BB program but not exactly easy travel from Chicago and while they play against DePaul, who else is close? Again this is believing what he says. Also how is their grad school? And if he plays without having to defend, how does that suit him for next level if he has any interest there?

Creighton may be a nice BB program but not exactly easy travel from Chicago and while they play against DePaul, who else is close? Again this is believing what he says. Also how is their grad school? And if he plays without having to defend, how does that suit him for next level if he has any interest there?

Proximity is one of our biggest advantages in the race, but if it mattered that much all the time, DePaul would be Kentucky. If I had one year of basketball left, with a bunch of programs finally interested in me, I would go to the place that best showcased the things I already did well. That's why Creighton may be the real challenger here, as HB said in another thread.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Proximity is one of our biggest advantages in the race, but if it mattered that much all the time, DePaul would be Kentucky. If I had one year of basketball left, with a bunch of programs finally interested in me, I would go to the place that best showcased the things I already did well. That's why Creighton may be the real challenger here, as HB said in another thread.

With grad students who have dreams of continuing to play after college, it is probably more about the situation than the school. In other words, where would he get the most playing time and have the right environment to showcase his abilities for one last season?

Mooney trims list to 3, NU, Texas Tech and Creighton. He will be in Texas on Tuesday for a visit.

Last edited:
Out in the sticks! More Mooney! Cash back rewards. We are going dancing next year.

To be generous, I'll give Omaha a pass.

But Lubbock vs. Evanston?!?!? NU academics vs. Texas Tech academics?

If Mooney chooses Texas Tech over Creighton and NU, then we know this was a basketball-only decision.

Reactions: StratCat84
Source just for good measure:

Not quite sure how to handicap this one, to be honest.

Based on nothing other than gut, I think it will be either NU or Texas Tech. Nothing against Creighton, and it sounds like he has a good relationship with them, but from early reports, it sounded like he had a really good connection with the Texas Tech coaches. I think it comes down to the Red Raiders or Cats...which means you can bank on him going to Creighton.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
If Mooney chooses Texas Tech over Creighton and NU, then we know this was a basketball-only decision.
Is there any doubt this is a basketball-only decisions?? Seriously, the 800 or so transfers that happen annually are ALL basketball decisions. Kids realize their competitive playing days are drawing to a close and want to maximize their playing time.

... Seriously, the 800 or so transfers that happen annually are ALL basketball decisions ...

If you're leaning toward the idea that the average player cares about academics FAR less than NU conventional wisdom wants to acknowledge, I'll agree with that ... especially for a freshman who has stars in their eyes and the world is their oyster.

But for a senior who uses the word "hope" for a European playing career, I'd bet a MUCH higher percentage consider the post-basketball advantages.

We’re talking about a master’s degree program which typically take two years and a thesis or comps to complete. It would be interesting to see how many of these “grad transfers” actually complete their degrees.

It would be interesting to see how many of these “grad transfers” actually complete their degrees.
True. But give the kids credit for having gotten their undergrad degree and having some control over their remaining playing time.

The thing I don't get is, I thought the original requirement was for the new school to offer a grad program that the old school doesn't. I seriously doubt that this is happening.

We’re talking about a master’s degree program which typically take two years and a thesis or comps to complete. It would be interesting to see how many of these “grad transfers” actually complete their degrees.
Plenty of 1-year programs through the school of professional studies, which is where I think grad transfers (and 5th year players) end up.

Plenty of 1-year programs through the school of professional studies, which is where I think grad transfers (and 5th year players) end up.
Probably have to credit a lot of UG classes to the advanced degree or give them considerations for second year

Latest on his thinking:
https://247sports.com/college/texas...ech-Visit-Talks-Overall-Recruitment-117824109

On NU, specifically:
“Northwestern, I had another great visit there and I like coach (Chris) Collins and the staff. The guys they got there are really good dudes and I enjoyed hanging out with those guys. Both Creighton and Northwestern are both going to be really good I think next year after playing with both teams. Northwestern’s close to home so obviously I have family back there, but this is a basketball decision so at the end of the day I’m going to choose what I think is the best decision, the best fit for basketball. It’s my last year so I’m being picky because it’s my last year and this is something that’s going to impact my future, the rest of my career. I’m just trying to make the right decision.”

Reading between the lines, I think that playing close to home might be the thing that breaks the tie for him. Unless Texas Tech makes a really strong impression — which, obviously, they could — I think NU has a strong chance. He talks about his dad and how he watched Jordan — how about a chance to be around one of his coaches on the Bulls?

Not quite sure about that.

While the BE can hang their hat on recent National Championships due to 'Nova, the B1G has probably represented itself better in getting to the Champioship game than any other conf. other than the ACC over the past 20-25 yrs (and it hasn't been the same 2-3 schools like for the ACC).

Problem is, the B1G badly needs a team to win the NC one of these days, instead of just getting to the game.

Academics is probably the 3rd thing on the list for graduate transfers (that is, if they care at all).

For instance, when Swop was deciding on where to transfer - likely picked NU for (1) playing time (replacing Shuirna) and (2) the team having potential to make the Tourney w/ getting to take graduate level classes at NU being the bonus.

Last edited:
Latest on his thinking:
https://247sports.com/college/texas...ech-Visit-Talks-Overall-Recruitment-117824109

On NU, specifically:
“Northwestern, I had another great visit there and I like coach (Chris) Collins and the staff. The guys they got there are really good dudes and I enjoyed hanging out with those guys. Both Creighton and Northwestern are both going to be really good I think next year after playing with both teams. Northwestern’s close to home so obviously I have family back there, but this is a basketball decision so at the end of the day I’m going to choose what I think is the best decision, the best fit for basketball. It’s my last year so I’m being picky because it’s my last year and this is something that’s going to impact my future, the rest of my career. I’m just trying to make the right decision.”

Reading between the lines, I think that playing close to home might be the thing that breaks the tie for him. Unless Texas Tech makes a really strong impression — which, obviously, they could — I think NU has a strong chance. He talks about his dad and how he watched Jordan — how about a chance to be around one of his coaches on the Bulls?
Sounds like he is backing off being close to home and saying it is going to be a BB decision rather than anything he had said in the past.

It's going to come down to three important factors: 1) playing time, 2) playing time, 3) playing time.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Sounds like he is backing off being close to home and saying it is going to be a BB decision rather than anything he had said in the past.

Disagree. We are parsing words, of course, but his compliments about Creighton were very generic, and then he essentially said the same about NU, “plus, they’re close to my family.” Sure, it will be a basketball decision, but I’m saying all else equal (getting starter minutes, good rapport with coaches and players), that still seems like a factor that he’s thinking about and which helps NU.

It is not very sexy but coming in and being a leader and upperclassman with a pretty excellent freshman class will be great on his coaching resume when he is done playing at what ever his top level turns out to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT