ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Skowronek's decision to transfer to Notre Dame

"One source said that Skowronek’s view of himself as an NFL prospect is probably inflated and may not be realistic."

That's nice ...

Quite simply, he is chasing his dream and doing all he can to make it come true. Can't begrudge him for that on a personal level. But as a Cats fan, I'm very disappointed.

Quite simply, he is chasing his dream and doing all he can to make it come true. Can't begrudge him for that on a personal level. But as a Cats fan, I'm very disappointed.
He has about the same chance of playing on Sundays as TJ Parker had of playing in the NBA when he left early, but TJ may have been hoping to be mistaken for Tony.

The NU alumni network wouldn’t be helpful? If true, that is very disappointing.

Anyone that looks at this without purple glasses can see why he would make the change. It makes sense for him ( even if he doesn’t sniff the NFL) and it makes sense for ND.

Agreed..., this sounds petty. Kind of like the "no visiting team flags in the parking lots" edict from the ticket office.

Take the high road, act like you've been there before

The NU alumni network wouldn’t be helpful? If true, that is very disappointing.

Anyone that looks at this without purple glasses can see why he would make the change. It makes sense for him ( even if he doesn’t sniff the NFL) and it makes sense for ND.
He already has the NU network

After talking to some sources inside and outside of the program, and some time to reflect, here are my thought's on Northwestern wide receiver Bennett Skowronek's decision to transfer to Notre Dame.

Thought's on Skowronek's transfer to Notre Dame
I wish Ben well, but also hope that the Cats make Lou eat these words: "At Northwestern, Skowronek would have been a go-to guy, though in an offense that will likely be mediocre at best in 2020." I really do not like reading such negativity from the editor of a site for NU football fans!

I wish Ben well, but also hope that the Cats make Lou eat these words: "At Northwestern, Skowronek would have been a go-to guy, though in an offense that will likely be mediocre at best in 2020." I really do not like reading such negativity from the editor of a site for NU football fans!
And I appreciate that Lou calls it as he sees it and is not merely a propaganda wing for the athletic department. I can trust what he writes.

If, as an Indiana kid, he wants to take snaps in a Notre Dame uniform at Notre Dame’s stadium, fine. I don’t like it, but I get it.

If it’s a question of whether being arguably NU’s top go to receiver or being in ND’s receiver rotation (perhaps top 3 or top 5), I’m not sure that’s the right “business decision” in terms of his NFL prospects.

I don’t know (or care) about the kid’s NFL potential, but he was a very good college player that made a lot of game-changing plays (when healthy).

If, as an Indiana kid, he wants to take snaps in a Notre Dame uniform at Notre Dame’s stadium, fine. I don’t like it, but I get it.

If it’s a question of whether being arguably NU’s top go to receiver or being in ND’s receiver rotation (perhaps top 3 or top 5), I’m not sure that’s the right “business decision” in terms of his NFL prospects.

I don’t know (or care) about the kid’s NFL potential, but he was a very good college player that made a lot of game-changing plays (when healthy).
Like the new avatar. It makes you look thinner.

We employ a part-time manny (male nanny, for the uninitiated--AA homosexual thespian whom you will likely be seeing a lot of on TV soon--really interesting guy, but I digress) who is from Ft. Wayne, and whose family is very good friends with with the Skowroneks. Our manny's younger brother, a CB at DuPage (who may transfer to Iowa), played with Ben in HS. He intimated a few months ago that Ben might seek "greener pastures" next fall.

That's negativity? What do you expect Lou to write, that NU will suddenly have a top-5 offense after the shitshow we put on the field last year just because Bajakian walked in the door?

Reactions: Fitz51
quote from Lou's article: "He needed just 346 more yards to make the school’s all-time top 10 in receiving yardage and would have easily made the top five with another productive season." The sad thing is, he probably wouldn't have made it in this putrid offense. He would have had to catch about 30 more balls, and perhaps he's targeted more/we're slightly better if he's out there, but jeez. Watch the tape people. Our passing offense was the worst in the country.

And that's really all you need to know. He graduated, and had a choice between an always solid Irish program with a bunch of people leaving and a really solid QB, or having no idea what was going to happen at the QB position or the offense in general, which, even with crazy improvement, might still be like 90th in the country next year. It's the same reason we lost Yasmine Bleeth or whatever his name is.

quote from Lou's article: "He needed just 346 more yards to make the school’s all-time top 10 in receiving yardage and would have easily made the top five with another productive season." The sad thing is, he probably wouldn't have made it in this putrid offense. He would have had to catch about 30 more balls, and perhaps he's targeted more/we're slightly better if he's out there, but jeez. Watch the tape people. Our passing offense was the worst in the country.

And that's really all you need to know. He graduated, and had a choice between an always solid Irish program with a bunch of people leaving and a really solid QB, or having no idea what was going to happen at the QB position or the offense in general, which, even with crazy improvement, might still be like 90th in the country next year. It's the same reason we lost Yasmine Bleeth or whatever his name is.

If what the majority of the NU fans have been screaming about Whatcha McCall is true, then I expect our offense to be significantly better next year.

Yep.... this transfer, along with the lost WR recruit is on Fitz. Hopefully he's learned the lesson that this ain't the 1950s and you need to develop a dynamic passing offense in today's game - even if your overall goal is to be balanced between run and pass.

Yep.... this transfer, along with the lost WR recruit is on Fitz. Hopefully he's learned the lesson that this ain't the 1950s and you need to develop a dynamic passing offense in today's game - even if your overall goal is to be balanced between run and pass.
I don't get the feeling that that is what our new OC is known for. Seems like what we are hearing is he bases his Offense on the players available. I just hope the cupboard isn't bare.

I don't get the feeling that that is what our new OC is known for. Seems like what we are hearing is he bases his Offense on the players available. I just hope the cupboard isn't bare.

I don't think the cupboard is bare. We have probably one of the most talented QBs to ever enroll in the program in Hunter Johnson. Shame on the coaches if they can't figure out a way to utilize his talents. Obviously it's also up to him to put in the work and develop the chemistry with his teammates, but given that he won't go the route of a Lloyd Abramson or an Alexander Webb hopefully, the coaches need to get him into a system where he can showcase his talents that had guys like Jake Fromm, etc. in awe coming out of high school.

I'm also in alignment with @corbi296 that "our receivers can't get separation" is an overblown excuse. I've seen McGowan, Jefferson and others blow open defenses for long passes. Of course doing it on a consistent basis is a challenge, but with the right mix of plays and coaching, we have the horses. Looking for athletic freak GHP to develop into a potent weapon too.

Obviously it's also up to him to put in the work and develop the chemistry with his teammates, but given that he won't go the route of a Lloyd Abramson or an Alexander Webb hopefully,
To be fair, Webb suffered a lacerated kidney or some such injury and had to retire from football......

NU has no one to blame but themselves for Skowronek's decision. The past season was so bad next season will be only about rebuilding from the ground. In addition, as a player who wants to catch passes, he had seen for years that his opportunities were minimal under McCall. I'd guess the 4* recruit who suddenly chose Purdue over NU had similar thoughts.

NU just about chased these players away. Any resentment for their decisions should be directed to the head coach.

Right you are.

Lazy routes looking for seams. No squared out cuts. No deeks before a move. No hooks or curls. No tight end drags over short middle after a chip block. No nothin. I learned more, 50 years ago, from amateur coaches about running routes than NU's receivers learn over 4 years. Next time you're at a game, quit watching the ball and just focus on the wide outs. Then get back to me and tell me those routes are crisp. We have some guys with the quicks, and definitely can be taught the moves, but it aint happening.

Right you are.

Lazy routes looking for seams. No squared out cuts. No deeks before a move. No hooks or curls. No tight end drags over short middle after a chip block. No nothin. I learned more, 50 years ago, from amateur coaches about running routes than NU's receivers learn over 4 years. Next time you're at a game, quit watching the ball and just focus on the wide outs. Then get back to me and tell me those routes are crisp. We have some guys with the quicks, and definitely can be taught the moves, but it aint happening.

I think it's possible that both sides of this argument are making valid points. I am in agreement that our WRs are not as well coached and developed since Kevin Johns left the program but I also think the argument that our offense's main problem is that our WRs don't get separation is overblown. I believe we could get more production out of that position but I also think our main problems on offense lie elsewhere.

Right you are.

Not that I think our guys execute the new techniques all that well, but you’re not going to see a ton of “square cuts” and such in today’s game. There’s much more focus on “speed cuts.”

A lot of that was also McCall’s scheme, which included a lot of read routes.

Reactions: Rebel_
After talking to some sources inside and outside of the program, and some time to reflect, here are my thought's on Northwestern wide receiver Bennett Skowronek's decision to transfer to Notre Dame.

Thought's on Skowronek's transfer to Notre Dame
Captain America? Funny

As far as the NFL, his move may make him go from a FA to maybe a 6th raounder? That's my non expert opinion.

But basically this decision came down to Kelly or Fitzgerald. He chose Kelly.
Who is the ND WR coach? That may be a bit more refreshing for him than playing for a coach who never played the position.

ND a blue blood? There is argument against that now. ND isn't a 'wow' program. Surely a top 20 but nothing in the top 10. I wonder if ND offered a specific academic program that Ben liked. Either way, if not for Ben's decision, ND wouldn't even be on my mind. This time of year, Alabama, OSU, Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Wisconsin are usually on College Football's mind. But watch out for Kentucky soon....

Last edited:
you like that word 'shit'. I think you are not using it properly.
Can you please advise how one should use it?

I’ve always thought it was pretty straightforward personally, but am curious to hear your opinion.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Who wants to play for Springer? Dude never ever played WR and was let go by Indiana. The only reason he is here is because Fitz was in a jam when Johns decided he had enough of the madness. Fitz needed someone to 'fill in the gap' and so McCall saw the opportunity to bring in an inferior coach that he once worked with, who would be his personal pollyanna.

Dude never even played the position. He should have left with McCall but Fitz didn't make that connection and didn't scrap the Springer experiment. So Ben bolted.

Who wants to play for Springer? Dude never ever played WR and was let go by Indiana. The only reason he is here is because Fitz was in a jam when Johns decided he had enough of the madness. Fitz needed someone to 'fill in the gap' and so McCall saw the opportunity to bring in an inferior coach that he once worked with, who would be his personal pollyanna.

Dude never even played the position. He should have left with McCall but Fitz didn't make that connection and didn't scrap the Springer experiment. So Ben bolted.

See? Making shit up again.

LOL Turk, stop spreading your BS. Johns was fired by Fitz for the way he conducted himself during the Sean Cotton recruitment. Fitz hired Springer because he thought he was a good fit.

Fitz never played safety or cornerback yet I believe he was the secondary coach in his first year at NU before he took over the LBs first time.

A lot of coaches don’t necessarily coach the position they played. And RBs have to run routes too.

In my opinion: Springer deserves time under a new OC to prove his merit and people should take it easy with these attacks on his merit until we see what he can do with Coach Jake.

Springer has had players with a lot of success despite our past offensive scheme / playcalling, and I suspect our new OC will have much different expectations for his position coaches - particularly at WR.

Let’s give him a shot with Coach Jake. More to come on the Rock.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT