ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Skowronek's decision to transfer to Notre Dame

LOL Turk, stop spreading your BS. Johns was fired by Fitz for the way he conducted himself during the Sean Cotton recruitment. Fitz hired Springer because he thought he was a good fit.

KJ was also interviewing with literally any program that would invite him for a coordinator or head coaching gig (low level schools like Bucknell, etc.). Don’t think that sat all that well with Fitz.

Reactions: corbi296
Fitz never played safety or cornerback yet I believe he was the secondary coach in his first year at NU before he took over the LBs first time.

A lot of coaches don’t necessarily coach the position they played. And RBs have to run routes too.

In my opinion: Springer deserves time under a new OC to prove his merit and people should take it easy with these attacks on his merit until we see what he can do with Coach Jake.

Springer has had players with a lot of success despite our past offensive scheme / playcalling, and I suspect our new OC will have much different expectations for his position coaches - particularly at WR.

Let’s give him a shot with Coach Jake. More to come on the Rock.

Bajakian is probably a terrible QB coach because he only played D3. Ayeni a terrible RB coach because he had to move to DB. Heffner a terrible SB/TE coach because he played OL. Long a terrible DL coach because he played FB. MacPherson a terrible RB and DB coach because he played LB. Hankwitz a terrible DC because he played TE. Randy Bates a terrible LB coach because he played no college football whatsoever.

Bajakian is probably a terrible QB coach because he only played D3. Ayeni a terrible RB coach because he had to move to DB. Heffner a terrible SB/TE coach because he played OL. Long a terrible DL coach because he played FB. MacPherson a terrible RB and DB coach because he played LB. Hankwitz a terrible DC because he played TE. Randy Bates a terrible LB coach because he played no college football whatsoever.
Dang... Disgusting!!! Fitz ought to get the pink slips ready. How many solid defenses and NFL DL do we have to produce before our message board experts turn on Hankwitz and Long?

The Patriots ought to fire that bum Belichick too. One of the supposed great defensive minds and “greatest NFL coach ever” DIDN’T EVEN PLAY DEFENSE at little Wesleyan college and NEVER PLAYED in the NFL! And get this... football wasn’t even his favorite sport!

/s x 1000 of course.

Folks, in all seriousness: let’s give Springer a real shot.

Austin Carr, Jeremy Ebert, Flynn Nagel, Christian Jones, and even Skowronek didn’t coach themselves.

Last edited:
Who wants to play for Springer? Dude never ever played WR and was let go by Indiana. The only reason he is here is because Fitz was in a jam when Johns decided he had enough of the madness. Fitz needed someone to 'fill in the gap' and so McCall saw the opportunity to bring in an inferior coach that he once worked with, who would be his personal pollyanna.

Dude never even played the position. He should have left with McCall but Fitz didn't make that connection and didn't scrap the Springer experiment. So Ben bolted.
According to Corbi, Fitz fired Johns. According to gocatgo Fitz was all pissed off at Johns for interviewing for other programs.
Fitz -2
First because he would piss and moan and whack a good coach while sympathizing with losers who had his golden ticket.
Whatever the case, i cant see any top wr recruits ever wanting to play for springer.
One poster on here explained that our wr do not know basic clear routes because Springer doesnt know.
Turk, you are right again.

Reactions: IGNORE2
According to Corbi, Fitz fired Johns. According to gocatgo Fitz was all pissed off at Johns for interviewing for other programs.
Fitz -2
First because he would piss and moan and whack a good coach while sympathizing with losers who had his golden ticket.
Whatever the case, i cant see any top wr recruits ever wanting to play for springer.
One poster on here explained that our wr do not know basic clear routes because Springer doesnt know.

Oh look, more made up shit. Cool.

@Turk: could you please resolve the Problem with Shits?

He keeps using the dirty word. I think you or your doppelgänger WickerTurk could help explain how to more appropriately use it.
Mr Fitzgerald is a great guy but The Problem of Fitz is that he is deluded into thinking that awful coaches will eventually turn things around. Not Happening! McCall isn't Lee Majors, he simply could not be rebuilt. The cost to the program, players, and fans has been crushing. Keeping Springer around is still the Problem of Fitz but isn't such a heavy load as keeping around a deadbeat OC.

The Problem of Shits is less well known. I suspect that professional dog sitters would have more to say about this than me.

Fitz -2
Yea, so we now learn that Fitz was pissed that Johns was interviewing. That's just insecurity on Fitz' part, he should be loyal enough to support assistants who want to advance in their profession. Just dopey on Mr Fitzgerald's part.

Randy Walker encouraged all of his coaches to reach for the stars and move on......and he supported them. He was from the "Cradle of Coaches' and I think Sean Payton might have been one of his coaches that he supported to advance his profession.

I believe Springer is a bad WR coach because NU has generally had poor production from the WR position.

No player developed under Springer — that’s since 2011 — has been drafted. (Ebert was drafted and had two great seasons under Springer in the Colter/Siemian years.) Predictably, OL is the only other group to have zero draft picks since 2012.

I believe Springer is a bad WR coach because NU has generally had poor production from the WR position.

No player developed under Springer — that’s since 2011 — has been drafted. (Ebert was drafted and had two great seasons under Springer in the Colter/Siemian years.) Predictably, OL is the only other group to have zero draft picks since 2012.

Which is a perfectly reasonable position to hold. My point is that “he didn’t even play the position!” is an awful take.

Don't you think it is helpful if a coach actually played the position? I guess you don't think it's better to have Anderson than Cushing then. Sheesh

I don’t think it really makes a difference, but that’s never stopped you from making shit up before.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Yea, so we now learn that Fitz was pissed that Johns was interviewing. That's just insecurity on Fitz' part, he should be loyal enough to support assistants who want to advance in their profession. Just dopey on Mr Fitzgerald's part.

Randy Walker encouraged all of his coaches to reach for the stars and move on......and he supported them. He was from the "Cradle of Coaches' and I think Sean Payton might have been one of his coaches that he supported to advance his profession.

Some people fear change - that’s most of society. Some aspire to make a difference, let their word spread far and fast. In religion, an often cited example is Jesus. In FB, it’s a coaching tree.

PF is no Jesus, yet some folks around here believe he can walk on water...

I don’t think it really makes a difference, but that’s never stopped you from making shit up before.

Why stop there? Maybe a former BB catcher could be a good WR or OL coach. Former pitcher as QB coach? WWF wrestler as DL coach? Who has a few more?

Why stop there? Maybe a former BB catcher could be a good WR or OL coach. Former pitcher as QB coach? WWF wrestler as DL coach? Who has a few more?

Would you reject Mike Leach for a QB coaching position or OC job because he never played QB, let alone football?

Would you reject Mike Leach for a QB coaching position or OC job because he never played QB, let alone football?
You are arguing the exceptions. But that's what you always do Glades. Nobody is saying that someone who never played the game can't necessarily figure out coaching, have a passion with it, and become successful. But you are arguing a less common path.
The problem is that most of these coaches fizzle out or are relegated to pop warner or High School. While it is true that some make it bigtime, it is uncommon. As far as position coaches, they have coaching camps, etc., to try to better those who never played the position, but Springer just doesn't get it. I mean he has coached about 40 wide receivers here and it's been a complete disaster. Glades, if Fitz let Springer go, do you think anyone will come calling for Springer? Do you know that McCall hasn't had one phone call and may have to scale back his coaching dreams to coaching High School again? He may actually be pretty good at High School, dunno.

But don't get sidetracked. focus and get back on the main subject, i.e., the Problem of Shits. Plus, wickerpark (You of course) posted a pretty good job opening for ya. It may even come with free hot dogs.

You are arguing the exceptions. But that's what you always do Glades. Nobody is saying that someone who never played the game can't necessarily figure out coaching, have a passion with it, and become successful. But you are arguing a less common path.
The problem is that most of these coaches fizzle out or are relegated to pop warner or High School. While it is true that some make it bigtime, it is uncommon. As far as position coaches, they have coaching camps, etc., to try to better those who never played the position, but Springer just doesn't get it. I mean he has coached about 40 wide receivers here and it's been a complete disaster. Glades, if Fitz let Springer go, do you think anyone will come calling for Springer? Do you know that McCall hasn't had one phone call and may have to scale back his coaching dreams to coaching High School again? He may actually be pretty good at High School, dunno.

But don't get sidetracked. focus and get back on the main subject, i.e., the Problem of Shits. Plus, wickerpark (You of course) posted a pretty good job opening for ya. It may even come with free hot dogs.

There are LOTS of exceptions, Turk! Would you turn away David Cutcliffe to coach your QBs or run your offense, even though he's developed a metric-ton of first-round QB's?

Every program has coaches coaching positions other than what they played in college. If they played in college. Football is NOT rocket surgery. Even a teeny-tiny baggage handler with spindly arms like you could coach D1 OL if you seriously studied up.

There are LOTS of exceptions, Turk! Would you turn away David Cutcliffe to coach your QBs or run your offense, even though he's developed a metric-ton of first-round QB's?

Every program has coaches coaching positions other than what they played in college. If they played in college. Football is NOT rocket surgery. Even a teeny-tiny baggage handler with spindly arms like you could coach D1 OL if you seriously studied up.
Rocket surgery? Well played big guy.

Rocket surgery? Well played big guy.
Glades just pivots by using his wit. He never answers the questions unless its during the midnight hour..

But he settled down alot from years ago. Hilaripus, but crude, midnight threads would get deleted by the time Lou woke up.

Glades just pivots by using his wit. He never answers the questions unless its during the midnight hour..

But he settled down alot from years ago. Hilaripus, but crude, midnight threads would get deleted by the time Lou woke up.
Who was Hilaripus? A comedic Greek philosopher? I think I read some of his musings in my Ancient Literature class at NU. He used to poke fun at the guys who hung out at the Acropolis late at night, throwing their empties down on the heads of the cleaning crews working the streets in the late hours after the orgies had all wrapped up.

Last edited:
Glades' idea of "rocket surgery" is opening up the business end of a potato cannon and thread-boring it to get the potatoes to eject a high spin rate, increasing velocity and precision.

I've engineered a few tennis ball cannons out of the old straight-side soda cans in high school but they lacked rifling. They worked great but the ultimate weapon were the "hedgehogs" we'd make out of 7 pieces of conduit pipe and bottle rockets or model rocket engines. Great for attacking pool parties! Singed my eyelashes once with one. Try explaining that one to your parents when you get home.

Who was Hilaripus? A comedic Greek philosopher? I think I read some of his musings in my Ancient Literature class at NU. He used to poke fun at the guys who hung out at the Acropolis late at night, throwing their empties down on the heads of the cleaning crews working the streets in the late hours after the orgies had all wrapped up.

This is Hilaripus HJ.

One of the great Defensive Coordinators in the NFL was a quarterback in college - Tony Dungy.

The Ft. Wayne Weeper is dead to me. You notice we had no leadership last year when we may have needed it the most in the last 20 years? Who was a captain?

Unless he could coach quarterbacks and design the plays, what leadership was he going to provide from the sideline?

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT